Developer's stance on target priority?

in PvP

Posted by: Med.6150

Med.6150

You implemented a target priority check for interactions (F) a while back, that was very welcome and changed the game for the better (its not perfect, but you gained more control).

Now I am wondering what your stance on that matter is for attacks. With the excessive amount of NPCs and targets on the battlefield, it is very painful to have key attacks get body blocked by NPCs and downed targets and I, like many others, would greatly appreciate, if the mechanics used for interactions with objects could also be applied to regular attacks.

It simply adds a random component to very critical combat situations, when you try to interrupt the targeted player with a daze or any attack, if there’s always a chance for a random pet to charge through the direct line of sight and block your attack.

The ability to quickly switch targets briefly to interrupt somebody who is trying to heal, for instance, while beating on somebody else, should be rewarded rather than punished.

Thanks in advance for any response.

in PvP

Posted by: tarcheg.4872

tarcheg.4872

+1
This should have been in the game right when they patched target priority for interactions in the game!
I’m tired of so much luck based actions. It’s not like the ranger moves his pet to some place so he can body block the CC…

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

I think using the NPCs on the battlefield to shield you from attacks is an intentional design decision judging from the minion master necro. A lot of what makes things like that viable at all are the defense you get from hiding behind your minions.

Also, I’ve often intentionally stood behind a clone while stomping a warrior or something to avoid their downed interrupt projectile.

I don’t think the mechanic needs to be changed – just learn how to adapt to it, use it to your benefit, etc.

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

I think using the NPCs on the battlefield to shield you from attacks is an intentional design decision judging from the minion master necro. A lot of what makes things like that viable at all are the defense you get from hiding behind your minions.

Also, I’ve often intentionally stood behind a clone while stomping a warrior or something to avoid their downed interrupt projectile.

I don’t think the mechanic needs to be changed – just learn how to adapt to it, use it to your benefit, etc.

Have 2 mesmers and a ranger on a point, and try to land a projectile on your target. Good luck with that.

Or try to put up some AoE. 5 target limit with tPvP having 5v5 encounters. So AoE should hit a complete team… unless you bring in some NPCs. In that case, AoE damage get split up upon some players and some easy to replace NPCs just because… why not.

Hell, try to target someone specific, and turn the camera.
It’s like the game is trying to troll you: ‘Oh you want to turn your camera and used your right mousebutton to do so? How about targeting this clone which just happens to stand here.’

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Nah. This is a skill issue and doesn’t need a clunky solution like this. Just be more situationally aware and/or ask for something like projectile speed to be increased.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

It’s by design that things can get in the pathing of your projectile.
Also apparently by design that you can teleport while a bullet is in the air and you’ll still be hit lol wtf.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Med.6150

It’s the random factor that is the problem. There’s no way for me to tell when one of the npcs decides to move between me and my target with so many of them and their movement skills.

That’s exactly the reason for the recent changes to some single target attacks that have now become piercing attacks. It’s almost impossible to hit your intended target, unless there are no npcs around.

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

It’s the random factor that is the problem. There’s no way for me to tell when one of the npcs decides to move between me and my target with so many of them and their movement skills.

That’s exactly the reason for the recent changes to some single target attacks that have now become piercing attacks. It’s almost impossible to hit your intended target, unless there are no npcs around.

Then don’t push your luck and attack from the other side. I can’t think of a single scenario where I’ve had 10 NPC’s completely surround someone. The only scenario that made sense for this was with mesmer clones, and that’s clearly intentional for them to get in the way.

in PvP

Posted by: lettucemode.3789

lettucemode.3789

This is why there are traits to make projectiles pierce. Additionally there are lots of ranged weapons in the game that don’t use projectiles. For example, necromancer Axe. If you are looking to interrupt heals, necromancer Warhorn daze isn’t a projectile either. If getting body blocked is enough of a problem for you, you should look into such things.

Sanctum of Rall
Builds: Facemelter Watch The Health Bar

in PvP

Med.6150

Piercing abilities do more than just hit the target, you’d like to hit (which is what I am proposing), Piercing target adds pressure on multiple targets, if they are in a straight line, so they wouldn’t lose effectiveness really.

The fact that the developers explicitely mentioned that the reason for the recent piercing changes to some single target abilities was that it was harder than intended to hit their target, because of a multitude of uncontrolled NPCs, leads me to believe that they do in fact recognize the issue.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

How about they don’t buff projectiles until they recognize that if I shadowstep while an engineer/war/jesus/Obama shoots a bullet, even at the end of his animation he’ll turn around 360 degrees to fire it back at me.
Now we gotta have more piercing auto-facing bullets and lasah beam channel skills?
Someone has to draw the line.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Med.6150

I am not asking for a buffs to projectiles, in fact I am not even talking about projectiles at all. Single target melee abilities will just hit whatever target happens to stand between you and your target as well.

There are many small things that happen in a fight, which decide the outcome of it. Adding that degree of randomness to it just doesn’t sit right with me.

I want to Eviscerate the Necro in front of me? Well, sorry, but the Elementalist just happened to RTL through us and I just hit his rock dog instead while I was leaping.

I am trying to Pistol Whip stun the Ranger? Too bad, his pet just decided to take a weird turn and stand closer to me than my targeted ranger by an inch and he now just casts his heal without even realizing he was about to get interrupted.

in PvP

Posted by: Shranks.3260

Shranks.3260

I agree – but what should be changes is target priority (when I run onto a ranger with pet and simply start attacking in 50% of the time my first hits will hit the pet)

Same with necros – I don’t want to target the minion and I don’t want to klick through 20 minions before getting the necro into my target!

Body blocking however is a nice mechanic and should stay in!!!

Traq – Accidently Famous [oops]
Engineer since BWE 1

in PvP

Med.6150

I wish I’d get an answer.

Either way, we all like body blocking as a feature, yet the only time people really use it is for securing stomps. That’s the reality. So, for all intents and purposes, the current mechanics are more likely to result in random people and npcs standing in the way without actively trying to.

Randomness is bad. I want less of it.

in PvP

Posted by: tarcheg.4872

tarcheg.4872

Randomness is bad. I want less of it.

qft
some dev please reply – just wanna know your thoughts on this topic.

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

this… ppl are already complaining about a need to rely on AI, this is the only advantage they get from AI NPCs

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Tab……healing turret
Tab……Rocket turret
Tab……Flesh golem
Tab…….Ice elemental
Tab……Rangers pet
Alt f4…..quit gw2

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.