Dishonor = Bullying?

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Piggy Malone.9501

Piggy Malone.9501

Just after opinion and more info on the dishonor system. We have guild members that frequently play PVP – I do not. Several have recently experienced bullying in some form or another by the same guys who are matched with our team. This group then subject our guys to intolerable behaviour. My advice is to block, report and walk away. However, some are reluctant to do this due to the “dishonor”.

How does this system work and what does someone lose by walking away?
Does dishonor reward the bully?

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Leaving = dishonor, it does not reward bullying it discourages leaving. You gave a bad advice, thus it is not the games fault.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

So , you are saying my guild mates have to stay and put up with the abuse? The bullies win, however I am not interested in your opinion on my advice. I want to know more about the dishonor system. How does this penalise those that do the decent thing and walk away

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

(edited by Piggy Malone.9501)

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Don’t give this “decent thing” – its very subjective. Some would call it a kitten thing, for not talking back, some would call it a stupid thing for not just ignoring him (or them), some would call leaving a game = win for bullies, and they are all equally right. Objective thing is you can’t leave a match for any reason and expect not to get punished by the system, that only “sees” -1 player.

Dishonor system is just a google away: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/go-with-the-flow/ , so if you agree to the match, you have to play it, nothing more, nothing less.

I personally think that there are too much of overreaction from people now

- Oh noes, someone called me a kitten on the internet, I have no idea what to do, so I will just give up entirely and qq for some new speech terms, because I am too special to be offended…

But that is just my subjective observation.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Offense is taken, not given. The “bullies” win only when you let them win.

Your guild mates should probably grow a thicker skin for PvP (relative to what they see in open world PvE) as they will—and should expect to—get called out for messing up. They should not expect to be shielded from being told they screwed up, although they certainly should expect not to be told in an excessively abusive fashion.

PS: Despite all of the above, I would absolutely still be the first in line to support any move that would prevent people on your block list from being put on your team (though not the opposing team) in PvP.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: RKyrk.4761

RKyrk.4761

So , you are saying my guild mates have to stay and put up with the abuse? The bullies win, however I am not interested in your opinion on my advice. I want to know more about the dishonor system. How does this penalise those that do the decent thing and walk away

If you walk away the bullies win.

1 close 1 animal 1 far rest mid

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: JerryMain.4371

JerryMain.4371

It’s to prevent situations like this:
(Match ended in 194-500)

So if you leave it’s a win for the other team for sure.

Just block and report

Attachments:

The Only One [One] – Piken Square

(edited by JerryMain.4371)

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

The issue with report and block is that these guys seek out our players and call in their mates to start as well. They also do the surrounding and jumping around us when they know they have been blocked. There have been specific personal threats and this has gone on since June. Some of us would want to take them on and whoop their behinds. Others arent like that though and why should they suffer

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

The issue with report and block is that these guys seek out our players and call in their mates to start as well. They also do the surrounding and jumping around us when they know they have been blocked. There have been specific personal threats and this has gone on since June. Some of us would want to take them on and whoop their behinds. Others arent like that though and why should they suffer

Go ahead and whoop their behinds if that what you wanted to do. I dont understand the hesitation. PVP promotes that. If they go out of their way to pursue you, just welcome the challenge and fight them. People talk a lot of smack but you guys should never take it to heart. After the fight, regardless of who wins, just pm them and say it was fun and you look forward to another fight in the future. You show dominance by responding maturely and kindly because it’s not what they expect.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

It’s very nice of you to defend your guildmates, unfortunately there’s nothing much you can do in this situation. If they leave the match, they’ll get dishonor. If they don’t want to be matched in a team with particular people, they better make a full team of 5 and go together.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

How can anything someone says online personally affect you? They can’t do anything to you but throw words at you. I guess over time I’ve gotten used to it but what’s the point in getting upset when you can get a thicker skin.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

Well the fact is that it has upset people. It’s how the person that is being bullied perceives it and your views or mine are not important.

Nobody has really tried to answer my question as to how this dishonor system works?

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: JerryMain.4371

JerryMain.4371

It’s not even working yet. But from the wiki: “Dishonor is a system to prevent players from joining unranked and ranked arenas after player misconduct, such as leaving or not participating (AFKing) in matches. Each instance of undesired behavior will immediately result in a timeout and increase the player’s dishonor stat. Frequent misbehaving will result in increased duration of timeouts. Dishonor is not currently active.”
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP#Dishonor

The Only One [One] – Piken Square

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

Well the fact is that it has upset people. It’s how the person that is being bullied perceives it and your views or mine are not important.

Nobody has really tried to answer my question as to how this dishonor system works?

In general, I believe people are nice. You’ve received a lot of useful advice on how to handle bullies because they seem to cause you/guild agony.

But you seem to suddenly dismiss the threat of bullies while showing apprehension to the upcoming dishonor system.

If the bullies are real or not, and if you’re a habitual afker/ditcher or not – the dishonor system is good a thing.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

Wow – Did I dismiss the subject, wasn’t intended, but thx for putting this WvW player up to speed as I assumed this dishonor thing was already up and running.

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

roflmao and 15chars

Attachments:

Ark 2nd Account

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Piggy, I find it hard to believe such personal attacks are happening without your input. Coming from an ex-troll, the best way to combat a troll is to ignore them entirely. A troll needs an audience.

A thicker skin will serve you and your mates in these matters. Block them and continue playing the match or you will be acting dishonorably. :P

One thing: while it would be ideal for the system to not match you with blocked players, super-pros would block anyone they perceive as bad and just create an undesirable environment.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: phoenix.3465

phoenix.3465

:D
welcome to the internet. if you want to walk away from bullying on the internet you have to walk away from the internet. just bully back. call his/her mother names or something, be creative.

That attitude makes me sick. If you don’t change, then nothing will ever change.
This is supposed to be a team game, yet if someone insults their own team, that is not “dishonorable”, if I leave because I don’t wanna play on a team with people who insult me, then it is and I get punished? I hope they rethink that.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Dishonor is bullying now? :/
Jesus christ what did I just read.. you wanna be able to throw a match because someone wrote something “offensive” to you? I bet it was like “Learn to ****ing stomp Warrior” or “Why the **** would you rotate far when we have mid, they have a guy on far, and 4 people are respawning”

It’s so funny that new players can’t play and can’t take criticism either.

Learn to deal with it, cause the only way you’ll get better is if people point out your mistakes and you correct them.

There’s a lot of new players in pvp right now, and a lot of them have no idea of what they’re doing, you’re throwing games, and of course your team mates are mad if they soloqued into you who just walked into the mists and thought that practice and play was for noobs and Compete was for you.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

I see where OP is coming from but leaving a game for whatever reason just isn’t right bullied or not and I’ll tell you why. If you have one troll up to five insulting you, what about the players that are rotating properly and too busy fighting on points to watch your exchange in the chat box? That’s right, they also get penalized. Not just the troll.

So yeah you can walk away if you want, but you will get dishonored. In the meantime, you can block people, insult them back or just ignore them. If your guidmates want to get good at sPvP, they have to face much worst than that from people that sometimes use trolling and gestures as a strategic tool to throw your team off.

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

welcome to the internet. if you want to walk away from bullying on the internet you have to walk away from the internet. just bully back. call his/her mother names or something, be creative.

roflmao and 15chars

+1

No, just no. Developping a thicker skin is one thing but mimicking idiots won’t make you anything else than an idiot yourself. Beside, you want to lessen the propagation of such juvenile displays not expand it. Be creative, yes, but not by making yourself an idiot 2.0.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

I am not going to go onto the type of bullying as this isn’t the time or place. People making huge assumptions here. It is one group who do this whenever they see a team from our guild. When they have played each other, our team will beat theirs 9 out of 10. They don’t like that so it starts. We ignore them and they dont like that and it starts again. The question was posed as a guild member walked away and others in the team didn’t. I just wanted a steer on this. Thank god I don’t pvp looking at most of these replies

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

I am not going to go onto the type of bullying as this isn’t the time or place. People making huge assumptions here. It is one group who do this whenever they see a team from our guild. When they have played each other, our team will beat theirs 9 out of 10. They don’t like that so it starts. We ignore them and they dont like that and it starts again. The question was posed as a guild member walked away and others in the team didn’t. I just wanted a steer on this. Thank god I don’t pvp looking at most of these replies

Then you need a thicker skin! That’s competition, people will get salty and smack talk other teams. I know a lot of people do it, I know myself that when I come up against two particular guilds I will talk a ton of smack and focus the players I know, it’s competition and it’s all good fun. Especially when you win.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

roflmao and 15chars

+1

No, just no. Developping a thicker skin is one thing but mimicking idiots won’t make you anything else than an idiot yourself. Beside, you want to lessen the propagation of such juvenile displays not expand it. Be creative, yes, but not by making yourself an idiot 2.0.

psychological warfare, my friend. tpvp is srs business.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Wait… I won’t say what it could be but I think I know just what kind of bullying you might be referring to. The bad thing about the systems in place is that it doesn’t stop bullying or abuse in action. And at this point lots of players know how to offend without saying words that will get one instantly banned so it’s tricky. It’s almost like you have to record each match where it occurs or screencap away so that Anet gets a backlog of trouble activity. In short, you have to take the abuse to be able to document it.

It really sucks and I’m sorry that your guildmates have to deal with it, but I’m glad they have someone like you looking out for them that will address this in the sPvP forums. What’s really at cost here is taking the bullying or getting dishonor. I’m sorry—I wish it was another way, and I’ll never tell you to “grow thicker skin”. There is no thicker skin depending on the type of bullying they might endure, though it is a personal choice if they want to ignore the offenses. I won’t give you anecdotal evidence to counter your inquiry, but I will say to definitely document each case. If you can deal a bit more with ignorant players, they will be the ones getting dishonored. This isn’t an anecdotal solution, as much as it’s what Anet wants us to do even though it sucks a lot sometimes to have to.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Block and report for harassment.

Or

Call out for proper challenge and wreck em 1v1.

Or

Go XBL on them, Hard focus and tea bag.

I prefer option 1 and 2 but 3 can be viable.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Goliath.7546

Goliath.7546

Dishonor needs to go since I need to bully people who play like scrubs by quiting mid-stomp.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Time ago it was called “Toxic Community” pretty nice name…now it’s just “Bullying”

…so disappointing..

Ark 2nd Account

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Sebastian.4610

Sebastian.4610

right click their name and click block. don’t say a single word to them, just block. As a bully i know this works, when people do it to me i actually get a bit mad.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

This just… would not work. I allws get angry whisps when i play on ranger on necro and winning 1v1 usually : kitten your talentless class, or 1 on 1 me kittenin noob. Probablly they think i deserve the penalty even if did nothing wrong, just played my class as good as i could.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

The dishonor system is there to prevent people from leaving a match nothing more. If you are having trouble with player violating other rules or conduct for the game you should pursue those option as they pertain to those issues.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Piggy Malone.9501

Wait… I won’t say what it could be but I think I know just what kind of bullying you might be referring to. The bad thing about the systems in place is that it doesn’t stop bullying or abuse in action. And at this point lots of players know how to offend without saying words that will get one instantly banned so it’s tricky. It’s almost like you have to record each match where it occurs or screencap away so that Anet gets a backlog of trouble activity. In short, you have to take the abuse to be able to document it.

It really sucks and I’m sorry that your guildmates have to deal with it, but I’m glad they have someone like you looking out for them that will address this in the sPvP forums. What’s really at cost here is taking the bullying or getting dishonor. I’m sorry—I wish it was another way, and I’ll never tell you to “grow thicker skin”. There is no thicker skin depending on the type of bullying they might endure, though it is a personal choice if they want to ignore the offenses. I won’t give you anecdotal evidence to counter your inquiry, but I will say to definitely document each case. If you can deal a bit more with ignorant players, they will be the ones getting dishonored. This isn’t an anecdotal solution, as much as it’s what Anet wants us to do even though it sucks a lot sometimes to have to.

Great post , thx mate. Latest news is the team have decided to not let them win and give it another go. Hopefully end of issue

Colarov – FFS – IOJ

Dishonor = Bullying?

in PvP

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

Offense is taken, not given. The “bullies” win only when you let them win.

Your guild mates should probably grow a thicker skin for PvP (relative to what they see in open world PvE) as they will—and should expect to—get called out for messing up. They should not expect to be shielded from being told they screwed up, although they certainly should expect not to be told in an excessively abusive fashion.

PS: Despite all of the above, I would absolutely still be the first in line to support any move that would prevent people on your block list from being put on your team (though not the opposing team) in PvP.

Pointing out a mistake someone made is entirely different from actually being bullied, which is what a LOT of people do. There’s a difference between “why did you go to far point alone when there were two people on it” and PMing someone telling them to kill themselves because they want to blame you for the match you both just lost. One of them is acceptable and the other one isn’t, and if you can’t figure out which is which then I am honestly frightened.

Telling people who are victims of it to “grow thicker skin” does not solve the problem at all.

Incursiön [iN]