Dodgeball-Style All Star Match (NA)

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Hi everyone! I’m Olrun of Mistpedia. I’ve heard a lot of people on the forums and in-game talking about how they didn’t recognize anyone on the poll for Gamescom, so I decided to do something about it. Tonight (7/16/2014) at 9 PM EST we will be hosting a dodgeball-style All Star Match. Basically, teams will be chosen by randomly selected captains from the pool of all star players who show up. This will give players an opportunity to see these all star players in action, hopefully leading to more informed voting and give us a taste of what might happen at Gamescom. The matches will be streamed and shoutcasted by Sireph on Twitch.

Players who have responded include:
*Ak
*Blu
*Hiba
*Kaypud
*Kensuda
*Marvin
*Morfeus
*Phantaram
*Zoose
and several others who are unsure if they can make it. Today is the last day of voting, so come watch your favorite players duke it out and remember to vote!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/allstarsvote

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Great initiative! As Olrun mentioned, the All-Star vote closes tonight at 11:59PM PDT, so make sure to get your ballot in before then.

:)

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Starting in about 15 minutes!

in PvP

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Not if we keep getting DDOS’d by https://twitter.com/itzchF

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

We’re starting now! Lag is gone!

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

And the lag came back… at least we got one game in?

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

Do we get free stuff for watching it?

Otherwise, why should anyone outside of the (official esports community) bother with it?

in PvP

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Sorry Olrun I was really looking forward to it, will tune in next time.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

@The Primary Some people find watching streams entertaining, especially the top players. You can learn from it, and it can be fun, just like watching any sport.

@XacTactX Unfortunately the vote ends tonight, so we can’t reschedule this PARTICULAR event, but maybe we’ll do something similar in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Otherwise, why should anyone outside of the (official esports community) bother with it?

To watch others and try to get better from doing so?

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

haha – and this is the gw2 problem^^

noone wanna be better cause everyone think he is the best – gw2 is designed so even the kittentiest clicker can feel like a hero by spamming #1 in wvw on the comander

game needs finaly a good combat log to beging with so people can see what they do wrong^^

but anyway – to the OP … good initiative

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

haha – and this is the gw2 problem^^

noone wanna be better cause everyone think he is the best – gw2 is designed so even the kittentiest clicker can feel like a hero by spamming #1 in wvw on the comander

game needs finaly a good combat log to beging with so people can see what they do wrong^^

but anyway – to the OP … good initiative

A combat log tells you what hit you for how much, not quite what you did wrong. Even so, if you’re willing to get better and are a good player, you will beat any who aren’t willing to do so. There is reward in practicing.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

The Primary.6371

@The Primary Some people find watching streams entertaining, especially the top players. You can learn from it, and it can be fun, just like watching any sport.

@XacTactX Unfortunately the vote ends tonight, so we can’t reschedule this PARTICULAR event, but maybe we’ll do something similar in the future.

Example of what I might possibly learn?

It’s also interesting how you use the word “some”.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

To your first point, the main thing is rotations. You watch when they rotate and ask yourself why. They just left before the fight ended. Why did they do that? Oh, their team had the advantage, and one of the opponents had just rezzed up, so they backed out to defend their homepoint. Stuff like that. There isn’t a player in this game who can’t learn SOMETHING about rotations, even the all stars, but the top players are definitely the ones to learn from.

To your second point: aren’t there people who play sports, but don’t enjoy watching them? I use the word some because I know that not everybody enjoys watching streams. It’s personal preference.

in PvP

The Primary.6371

Rotation…..is not the correct wording for what you just elaborated on. By your explanation, these so called high end pvpers with their small fan base operate in the same format as a generic conquest tpvp match.

This then can be viewed by anyone streaming a fair fight, plus it’s based off a dumbed down pvx mode from gw1 called “Alliance Battles”. In other words, you saw way more action in a standard gvg match than alliance battles. Considering how gvg did not force the players to operate inside a point based system and promoted drastic tactically changes for each team.

So far, I am not seeing any real reason for gw2 pvp to be defined as"esport" at all. To define gw2 pvp as a “sport” is unwise at this point until a pvp mode worthy of that title is implemented.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Rotation is the word used for what I described. PvP at the moment is mostly conquest, so conquest is what people will learn. That doesn’t mean you can’t learn how to fight, too, with the team fights and smaller engagement, as well as the weekly 2v2 tournament.

Just because you don’t like a game mode doesn’t make it bad. I understand that a lot of people would prefer deathmatch or something like that, but you’re oversimplifying the mode because you don’t like it.

in PvP

The Primary.6371

You seem to be defensive for some reason by your attempt to deflect away from the subject. As stated with my previous reply “This then can be viewed by anyone streaming a fair fight”.

Referring to your assumption a little directly:

1. I simply stated the truth where gw2 conquest is a dumbed down version of alliance battles.
  2. You did see a lot more action within guild vs guild as apposed to alliance battles.
  3. At least gw1 alliance battles was way more comprehensive, larger in scale and fixed many of the issues that are currently present in gw2s pvp.

But….I won’t go into too much detail about the pvx mode, since it should be clear if you did play gw1 at all.

(edited by The Primary.6371)