Elementalist Balance

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Batmang.5421

Batmang.5421

My suggestions for Ele balance adjustment are as follows. This is by no means meant to be an ele bashing or nerf request thread(I main ele o.O). I don’t usually participate in balance discussions on forums but I’ve seen a lot of ele complaints and since it seems inevitable that ele will be nerfed so here are my recommendations. I believe these to be fair changes that would bring certain ele buils more in line with what other classes are capable of and also allow for more viable builds.

The changes are structured into 2 steps so that the changes could be made incrementally. I have very little pve experience in GW2 so these adjustments come from a pvp 5v5 organized tourney perspective and please remember these are just my opinions. Also as a reference I main ele and have 1700+ games on ele since release.

STEP 1:

-Lower the cleansing wave heal by 10% on the water 5 skill AND on the evasive arcana proc and lower the radius by 120 down to 120

Why: This will lower the ability of ele to disengage and return to the fight at full health. It will lower the sustainability of d/d ele and bunkerability of s/d ele as well as the sustainability and presence of multiple d/d eles in team fights.

-Remove vigor from soothing disruption and drop the regen duration by 2 seconds

Why: Balanced and burst ele will still maintain a good amount of vigor with renewing stamina but bunkers will no longer be able to perma vigor which will also cut down evasive arcana heals.

-Reduce water trident heal by 30% but lower cd to 15 seconds, make the cast time 1/4 second and make the radius 240

Why: Overall solo survivability will be lowered but the skill will still be useful for clutch teammate heals when peeling which is an exciting mechanic. With this change ele lose some solo bunkerability without a huge loss to team support. This will also force/allow ele to play with slightly more risk while raising the skill floor AND ceiling with a slight gain to reward per skill and slight loss to reward ceiling.

STEP 2:

-Increase RTL cd by 5 seconds up to 20 sec, lower range by 200 down to 1000 and increase the speed of transit by 15%

Why: Right now, eles can RTL to a fight and 15 seconds later they escape. By raising the cd you’re forcing them to stick in fights for another 5 seconds if they RTL into a fight and by lowering the range you make it harder for them to disengage.

-Reduce bountiful power to 1% dmg gain per boon

Why: Water trait line is just too good. Specifically with d/d ele the damage you get from this trait makes it a must. In most fights this trait will you give you an average 8-12% additional damage with a standard 0/10/0/30/30 build.

-Reduce base attunement swap cd by 2 seconds

Why: Eles won’t be forced into 30 points arcana trait line. This would re-balance a lot of the other trait lines to make more builds viable. It would also lower the skill floor for new ele’s and offset some of the other nerfs by allowing ele to play more reactively and less facerolley which would raise the skill ceiling.

-Switch lingering attunements to 25 minor trait and arcane precision to 15 minor trait

Why: Lingering attunements is much stronger than arcane precision (does it even work?) and should be represented that way with the trait line. This also balances out the cleansing wave nerf on evasive arcana to keep 30 in arcane still useful and would make going 20 in arcana less useful in order to offset the attunement swap reduction buff.

Again these are just my opinions but I do think these changes would bring an improvement in all areas of balance as well as playability.

<3

Blinx

(edited by Batmang.5421)

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Why do you have to make another thread?

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Ya remove the ele class as well.
Reduce backstab damage by 50%, make rangers use light armor, remove stealth, remove any kind of passive health regen or protection from rangers, format C, and buy a mac.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Batmang.5421

Reduce backstab damage by 50%, make rangers use light armor, remove stealth, remove any kind of passive health regen or protection from rangers, format C, and buy a mac.

LOL ^^

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

yes, let’s blanket nerf the WEAPON SET because of what it does when you trait a full 30 into the HEALING LINE.

that will certainly encourage grater elementalist build diversity and really make those fire and air lines more attractive!

LOL @ lingering attunements — that will simply guarantee that NOBODY ever does a 25 arcane build, because 25 points into arcane is not worth the extra soothing mists.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

Although I do agree that specific d/d ele builds needs toning down a bit in some areas, what you are proposing is death sentence to the elementalist as a class.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Batmang.5421

yes, let’s blanket nerf the WEAPON SET because of what it does when you trait a full 30 into the HEALING LINE.

that will certainly encourage grater elementalist build diversity and really make those fire and air lines more attractive!

LOL @ lingering attunements — that will simply guarantee that NOBODY ever does a 25 arcane build, because 25 points into arcane is not worth the extra soothing mists.

Why would you run 25 arcane build now? As it is now you either go 20 arcane or 30 arcane. That would not change.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Batmang.5421

Although I do agree that specific d/d ele builds needs toning down a bit in some areas, what you are proposing is death sentence to the elementalist as a class.

Why do you think this is a death sentence? The 2 second swap reduction opens up A LOT of possibilities. Specifically with the Earth traits.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

plasmacutter.2709

Why would you run 25 arcane build now? As it is now you either go 20 arcane or 30 arcane. That would not change.

Lingering attunements is debatable as it is NOW because it only affects soothing mists. It’s nearly useless as it is. I guarantee though that moving it to 25 will accomplish the following:

It will make glass cannon builds which devs have already called “non-viable” even squishier, and it will guarantee anyone who does not go for evasive arcana will not have this trait.

you may as well just advocate removing it from the game, because at the end of the day 0/10/0/30/30 will still have lingering soothing mists, but every NON-BUNKER spec will no longer have it, further pidgeon-holing everyone into the bunker build.

Add to that the straight nerfs you want to the WEAPON SET… which is already weak without the bunker build to support it, and you have just made elementalist as a profession worse-off than engineers.

You are pidgeon-holeing them into bunker, then making that bunker build suck.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Batmang.5421

Lingering attunements is debatable as it is NOW because it only affects soothing mists. It’s nearly useless as it is. I guarantee though that moving it to 25 will accomplish the following:

It will make glass cannon builds which devs have already called “non-viable” even squishier, and it will guarantee anyone who does not go for evasive arcana will not have this trait.

you may as well just advocate removing it from the game, because at the end of the day 0/10/0/30/30 will still have lingering soothing mists, but every NON-BUNKER spec will no longer have it, further pidgeon-holing everyone into the bunker build.

The adjustment is meant to increase the value of putting 30 in arcana because of the evasive nerf. Soothing mist has little no impact on glass cannon builds with or without these changes. Yes, your right no one who passes on evasive arcana will ever put 25 in arcana… which is the exact same as how it is now.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

plasmacutter.2709

The adjustment is meant to increase the value of putting 30 in arcana because of the evasive nerf. Soothing mist has little no impact on glass cannon builds with or without these changes. Yes, your right no one who passes on evasive arcana will ever put 25 in arcana… which is the exact same as how it is now.

Oh you wanted to nerf EA again? I didn’t catch that, I was too busy being incredibly incensed at your desire to neuter the weapon set straight away when it has nothing to do with the staying power of the spec.

Making arcana traits and weapon sets suck, btw, will not make eles want to put more into air or fire. It will just drop ele to the worst profession in the game.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

Why do you think this is a death sentence? The 2 second swap reduction opens up A LOT of possibilities. Specifically with the Earth traits.

Attunement swap CD reduction will not miraculously make useless traits and trait lines viable.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

Remove Mesmer Class Request: Check
Remove Thief Class Request: Check

The day has arrived

Remove Elementalist Request: Check

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Batmang.5421

Oh you wanted to nerf EA again? I didn’t catch that, I was too busy being incredibly incensed at your desire to neuter the weapon set straight away when it has nothing to do with the staying power of the spec.

Making arcana traits and weapon sets suck, btw, will not make eles want to put more into air or fire. It will just drop ele to the worst profession in the game.

These changes would completely open up earth attunement. Fire would still suck and air wouldnt change much. You seem to believe these changes are total nerfs but if you consider the ability to take points out of arcana and put them into earth I think you’d realize that bunkers aren’t hurt as bad as you think.

You could run 0/0/30/30/10 s/d bunker with signet heal and still be very strong or 10/20/20/10/10 d/d with glyph heal/mist/teleport/arcane wave and soldiers/zerker zerker/zerker as a burst or even 10/10/30/10/10 with signet heal teleport/double arcane, soldiers/zerker as balanced.

It’s not as big of a nerf as you think o.O

(edited by Batmang.5421)

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

Yea! Ranger protection too good! Its not like with 10 pts in one trait elementalists can gain 6 seconds of protection on a 10 second CD. Rangers with 2 seconds of protection that starts at the beginning of a dodge roll and requires a 15 pt trait investment is far too powerful. They also have access to another one that gives them 5 seconds of protection on a 30 second cooldown when someone hits them for 10% of their full HP in a single attack. Rangers protection is far too strong as you can see by the comparison with elementalists protection.

I like all of your ideas in the exact same fashion, I endorse hharry for dev <—> playerbase go between as his ideas are balanced and well reasoned.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

TL;DR:
typing a wall-o-text about how to “properly” nerf a profession which will likely never be read by anyone at Anet is easier than learning to play.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Hey all, first off, batman plays a mean ele. He also theorycrafts, which puts him in a better position to suggest changes than someone who just picked up the 10/30/30 build from a stream.

Anet’s been pretty clear that they intend to adjust d/d 10/30/30 ele. The important thing is to do that in a way that opens up other builds at the same time. I’ve always wanted to theorycraft an ele build, but I knew I could never make one better than 10/30/30 d/d, so I’ve never really played the profession. I don’t personally know enough about eles to decide how they should be adjusted, but most of these ideas seem like they would open up new builds while toning down the current one.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

omg ….these kitten threads all over the place.Please Anet
Nerf the kittening class already..Why do i have to wait till 26(??) to have the forum be cleared by any wannabe game developer that thinks that posses the mystic knowledge of how to balance ele..Come on,do it now.Save us from the ele nerf threads.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Avead.5760

I’ve always wanted to theorycraft an ele build, but I knew I could never make one better than 10/30/30 d/d, so I’ve never really played the profession. I don’t personally know enough about eles to decide how they should be adjusted, but most of these ideas seem like they would open up new builds while toning down the current one.

huh?? It depends on the role you want the build for.D/d in eu meta is not even that used and s/d is more common.You can go 0/0/10/30/30 in s/d and be bunker or you can go 0/10/10/20/30 or 0/20/0/20/30 and focus on damage all of them being pretty much viable and used in paids.
In fact i m pretty sure there are other viable ele builds that just happen to not be that selfish and powerfull in 1vs1 but could rule in teamfights(arcane power+elem surge after the last patch comes to mind).Just nobody runs them in paids atm.But from what ive been watching from streams the top pvp scene consist of a few teams that can be counted in 1 hand and have the communication of what a casual weekend nights team would have in other competitive games..so i guess the meta is far from being developed..

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I’ve always wanted to theorycraft an ele build, but I knew I could never make one better than 10/30/30 d/d, so I’ve never really played the profession. I don’t personally know enough about eles to decide how they should be adjusted, but most of these ideas seem like they would open up new builds while toning down the current one.

huh?? It depends on the role you want the build for.D/d in eu meta is not even that used and s/d is more common.You can go 0/0/10/30/30 in s/d and be bunker or you can go 0/10/10/20/30 or 0/20/0/20/30 and focus on damage all of them being pretty much viable and used in paids.
In fact i m pretty sure there are other viable ele builds that just happen to not be that selfish and powerfull in 1vs1 but could rule in teamfights(arcane power+elem surge after the last patch comes to mind).Just nobody runs them in paids atm.But from what ive been watching from streams the top pvp scene consist of a few teams that can be counted in 1 hand and have the communication of what a casual weekend nights team would have in other competitive games..so i guess the meta is far from being developed..

I meant it would be cool to theorycraft a build that didn’t have 50-60 points in water and arcane. I understand there are variations to the 10/30/30 but that’s not what I meant.

Besides, the point was that the OP has the right idea. Open up new builds while toning down the one the devs deem “unhealthy.”

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Avead.5760

^ah yeah nothing seems to work that doesnt revolve around 0/0/0/15/30..
But that will never change until they either remove the mighty powerful trait “elemental attunement” or they reduge the base attunement cooldown.
Math wise you will always get the most benefit when switching attunements(prot,regen,burst heal,cond removal,swiftness) and that means you need as low att cd as possible.
It also doesnt help that you cant build full glass canon due to highly avoidable and telegraphed burst with big cd.
Its just bad design imo

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Calling it now.

Water healing nerf 10%

Fire buff 10-15%

Lolololololol

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Step 1:
1. I can follow the heal nerf NOT the radius nerf, Heals for the Ele are pretty high, BUT main reason for this is also because everyone is usually 30 in water or stacking heal power.

You may be punishing burst builds by lowering the heal value, but leaving it as is, is too much.

2. And what will be given in return for a massive nerf to this trait?
Ele’s already have few builds, nerfing them to pidgeon hole them into non viable builds isnt the way to go.
I would be for removing vigor, but something has to be given back for a nerf that cuts like this.

3. I would be all for this, if they.
A. Increased the radius, damage, and lowered the proc time on shatterstone.
B. Put stacking vulnerability on the water Auto-attack from scepter.

If your going to take away the healing by a third, compensate with something.

Scepter is already a horrible weapon outside of bunkering, it doesnt need to be made worse for every build.

Step 2.

1. I can live with 5 seconds.
But the 1000 range is not needed.
5 seconds increased CD is plenty, and wont break the skill any.

2. I wouldnt nerf the trait, switch this trait into a grandmaster trait
make cleansing water a 25 point and make bountiful power the grandmaster.
With that moved you would have the following choice.
Either you choose damage or you choose team utility with aura share.
Sounds like a good trade

3. This doesnt do anything but hurt every build the ele has.
Arcane prescision also doesnt work.
So your breaking builds, and trading traits that dont work.
NO.

My suggestion to add to this.
Nerf the passive per-cast healing on signet of restoration, but increase the healing on activation by 30%.

Most people dont even run any points into earth but still bunker with this signet becasue the heal per cast + water attunement and cleansing wave x2 heal is basically equal to its heal on activation, and you can continue to heal substantially every 9 seconds just by casting and attuning to water.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

(edited by Solori.6025)

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

If they nerf the heal, those who didn’t play a bunker build will be forced in playing one..or what will be left of it, the healing may be too strong with high healing power but those healing skills are barely decent when you’ve got no healing power at all.

Nerf that and those few eles who used to run balanced build will see their already low survivability to drop to 0 literally and those who won’t drop the game will simply move to what will be left of the bunker build.

They need to buff things instead then constantly nerfing what is left after every nerfing patch, they nerfed scepter so much that people started using staff…then they nerfed staff so much that people started using d/d…now they’ll nerf d/d and people will simply leave the game…GG Anet

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Solori.6025

If they nerf the heal, those who didn’t play a bunker build will be forced in playing one..or what will be left of it, the healing may be too strong with high healing power but those healing skills are barely decent when you’ve got no healing power at all.

Nerf that and those few eles who used to run balanced build will see their already low survivability to drop to 0 literally and those who won’t drop the game will simply move to what will be left of the bunker build.

They need to buff things instead then constantly nerfing what is left after every nerfing patch, they nerfed scepter so much that people started using staff…then they nerfed staff so much that people started using d/d…now they’ll nerf d/d and people will simply leave the game…GG Anet

Then something needs to be done about the scaling power of heals.

Cause right now the heal’s ele can dish out by investing in healing power are the best in the game, because of their frequency.

Little things are stacking up with big rewards.
Little things need to be changed little by little to see what shifts.

I think a small nerf to evasive arcana’s heal before tampering with all the others would be a good start, then we can see what shift’s in the meta.

No one wants a repeat of scepter during beta, and even A-net has expressed their desire to do small changes.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

There are certain builds that the Ele needs toned down, probably in the sustain departments. It’s not unreasonable to do this while simultaneously opening up the rest of the builds to part of that sustain though.

I myself have no problem with Ele’s having their defensive options in sustain, I think it’s just a little too extreme when played specifically for that purpose. Especially since it’s mostly AoE.

Easily though, any class should have 5 to 6 viable builds. The Ele is far too pigeonholed into the water and arcane lines for survival as it stands. They need to have some of that survival untraited.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Arheundel.6451

Just increase the base HP by 5k with more evasive skills and you can even reduce the water healing by 50% or more

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

It was all… acceptable until I read your RtL changes.

RtL is not broken. Don’t give in to the QQers.

Ele’s are supposed to be mobile. Other classes have fool proof escapes and NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING. Why? Because they aren’t as hard to kill.

^ From there one can conclude that the people that complain about ele, do it because of that one effing build. RtL is just the cherry on top of it all.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Why don’t we just move some bunker abilities to the focus (cleansing wave mainly) and make the off dagger better for dps (adding some kind of other heal to water 5 dagger that is not a 2.5k heal)? Then bunker eles will use the focus which has 0 movement skills but good bunker skills and the off dagger is now a movement weapon with good damage skills

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Arheundel.6451

Why don’t we just move some bunker abilities to the focus (cleansing wave mainly) and make the off dagger better for dps (adding some kind of other heal to water 5 dagger that is not a 2.5k heal)? Then bunker eles will use the focus which has 0 movement skills but good bunker skills and the off dagger is now a movement weapon with good damage skills

+100

When will you apply for the game developer position at Arena net?
I swear to god that I’m not joking, yes pls give the cleansing to the focus and give maybe daze or an evasive water based skill similar to ice wall for the OH dagger, for god sake Anet pls give healing to these warriors so they can play WoW paladin and give evasive skills to the ele + more dmg, PLS!

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

TGSlasher.1458

I was thinking of doing the internship thing, but its in America and you have to pay for your way, I live in Australia lol, bit pricy

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

+100

When will you apply for the game developer position at Arena net?
I swear to god that I’m not joking, yes pls give the cleansing to the focus and give maybe daze or an evasive water based skill similar to ice wall for the OH dagger, for god sake Anet pls give healing to these warriors so they can play WoW paladin and give evasive skills to the ele + more dmg, PLS!

Swapping skills in weapon sets seems like a better idea to balance things out a bit but this is highly unlikely since this will more often than not create more problems. Some weapon skills do have some odd skills which would have been better in another weapon set. But it’s too risky. I’m imagining the ultimate bunker S/F or D/F ele with all the defensive moves in the Focus arsenal – invulnerability, condition cleanse, projectile block, and then add to that Cleansing Wave heal. He’ll be GOD. O___O

It will be a BIG BIG move for Anet to do this and I believe is against their philosophy of slow non-knee jerk changes, but meh. I’m very excited for the BIG CHANGES in 26th but something tells me I’m just going to be dissappointed – not because of in-your-face nerfs but because of eyebrow-raising and facepalm changes. XD

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

TGSlasher.1458

GOD vs close to god with the ability to run away….

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

GOD vs close to god with the ability to run away….

Well yeah, it’s either sustain heal a.k.a close to god mode with mobility/escape via RTL (dagger as it is) or heal with damage mitigation a.k.a GOD mode (focus with cleansing wave). Whichever option seems like someone will definitely scream OP. XD

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Lognir.8963

Lognir.8963

Batmang.,
-imo, the best way to fix the “soothing disruption” is to replace cantrips with something else. They are a dominant utility even without this trait, and that needs to be changed.

-what’s the point in water trident’s heal rework if it will leave its main problem: skill has damage and should be sometimes used in offense. Won’t some strong mechanics (i.e. boon removal/poison) reduce the healing outcome while making it better and more interesting?

-same is for the attunement swap cd reduction. The problem is not in the necessity of arcane trait line but attunement swap itself. We can’t hold the pace. Even if we need to stay somewhere – swapping is better. If i understand A-net correctly, it should have been possible to stay in attunements for longer in PvP.

-You stated suggestions for all the elementalists but where are the scepter, focus & staff changes? Healing is not the only broken part in the class.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I think we will end up with nerfs to evasive arcana (30 second internal cd instead of 10) . This could well be coupled with a minor increase to RTL cd and a slight nerf to soothing mist.

I dont think this is enough. But it would be a start at least and maybe the meta could then develop.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Arheundel.6451

I think we will end up with nerfs to evasive arcana (30 second internal cd instead of 10) . This could well be coupled with a minor increase to RTL cd and a slight nerf to soothing mist.

I dont think this is enough. But it would be a start at least and maybe the meta could then develop.

Just remove the ele profession and you can develop the meta even quickier

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

Nerfing EA’s CD will definitely bork the already endangered Staff combo eles out there (EA in earth). The fix, i.e removing EA blasts aside from Earth a couple patches ago already hit Staff so hard, everyone’s playing D/D now.

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Solori.6025

Just remove all the profession’s and you can develop the meta even quickier

I fixed that for you

Elementalist Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Insane suggestions, OP, very insane. Glad you aren’t a developer. :P