Etiquette and PvP

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Mouseheart.8672

Mouseheart.8672

Hello everyone!

First of all, let me state here an now that I am a PvP noob. As in, newbie, not “resistant to any sort of advice” noob. Also, English is not my first language.

Anyway, I really enjoyed PvP in GW1 but refrained from it in GW2, mostly because my laptop was actually more or less undead already and couldn’t keep up with the game. As that changed with a new PC, and PvE became easier as well [you know, actually seing what lupi does instead of freeze frame when he does his AoE circles and just hammering the dodge button in hopes of not dying a horrible death], I thought I might give it a try. So, I used my main, which happened to be a thief, and played a couple of custom arenas.

Now, as I stated earlier, I am a newbie. So I tried a couple of thief builds. I really clicked with D/P, but also had fun with S/D, S/P and condition P/D. Won some, lost some. Yet, quite a number of people actually took the time to whisper me or used mapchat just to insult me and the builds. Its not even like I am spamming the crap out of my skills or really am that good that people are just jealous of my awesomeness or anything. Mostly average. At best. I’m not dominating, stalking, griefing or flaming anyone. Just looking for some interesting 1v1 fights. It is a custom arena, so I really thought it was the place for PvP newbies to start. Yet people take the time to write insulting messages instead of, I don’t know, enjoying the game.

That being said, that behaviour is very off-putting. Seriously, why do people do this? Is that a thief thing, because we are broken and every n00b can pwn everyone? Well, I’m a newbie and I cannot pawn everyone. Yet, just playing a thief and getting some kills, not even most or ALL THE KILLS (muahaha), is apparently enough for people to show this abysmal self-restraint and lack of politeness. I know that crap from playing first person shooters online – and even there, people just said it while still playing, not taking a short break from playing just to type this out – but I really thought GW would be a little bit more grown up.

Just wanted to ask: Is this how it is? Is that “the usual”? Is it just as bad in the other game modes (solo queue and tPvP)? Is this going to be the case of “Well, this is PvP, therefore treat every player like those 12 year old halo kiddies who have a very strange taste in women because all of them apparently slept with my mother and actually say lolol out loud”?
Or is there some universally accepted way of playing a thief without evading, stealth, stealing, using shadow steps, or using conditions, I just don’t know about (yet)?

Thanks very much for reading. Just felt like writing this and see what people say. Maybe I am actually doing something wrong, so I’d really appreciate any sort of advice you might want to tell new players aside from “l2p” , which I am trying, and “if you cannot handle insults, don’t play PvP”, which is a bit immature.

Cool engineers don’t look at explosions.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

It’s pretty common. I think it’s less so in the 2 Arena queues, but it’s been a while since I had the time to sit in a queue.

I play pvp with my /whisper chat off. There’s too many ragers that whisp you and then block you. I don’t have a problem with them raging in /map chat, because at least then everyone can see what sort of person they are.

But if you play anything non-meta you will get insulted for sure, some people are just jerks, no way around it.

edit: some of the funniest ragest I had were about ‘my’ class being for noobs. (I had it on thief, mesmer, warrior, engineer & guard)
I then reply that I try to play all classes equally and they usually don’t reply anymore.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

(edited by Clip.6845)

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

People are kittens. You have two options:

1. Be a kitten yourself. This doesn’t really work well and makes you feel meh too

2. Block/ignore anyone who makes mean comments.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: osiris.4623

osiris.4623

my wife was looking over my account the other day and came across my block list. She was pretty impressed with how big it was. Yep, that’s what she said. I block people who are even considering sending insults.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Nuithari.3728

Nuithari.3728

Same here. SoloQ and Team are a bit better. I just block anyone who insults anyone else, doesn’t even have to be me. Nagging, complaining, moaning, afk’ing, leaving… will all be answered with a block. Makes life in the Mists a lot easier

Nuithari – Elementalist
[Mist Angels] – Piken Square

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

I had someone call my zerker necro wells a cheese build =(

Before I even liched.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

There will always be trash talking in PvP, in any game that you play

It’s to be enjoyed and laughed at
Not taken seriously

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

There will always be trash talking in PvP, in any game that you play

It’s to be enjoyed and laughed at
Not taken seriously

Or ignored and sighed at. Nothing enjoyable about it :p

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Grimm.3972

Grimm.3972

In addition to blocking people who trash talk, I have emotes turned off.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

There is a difference between competitive trash/smack talking and griefing, insulting, harassing other players. I’ve seen some pretty nasty things said in map chat! I guess, a lot comes down to what you can tolerate and still have fun. This is a video game, if you aren’t having fun, then what’s the point?

Block the people that take away the fun and if they are insulting, cruel, and harassing, you, then report them! If they’ve done it to you, then they have done it to others.

As for wise-kitten smack talkers? I challenge them to a 1v1 fight on a server dedicated for that. They either show up or don’t. If they don’t, then you win. If they do, then game on!

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Learn to use ignore a lot, depending on what game mode you play and time of day, primetime is often worse because the population tends to be younger. Its not even that people are so offensive (if you actually take those things personally you shouldnt be on the internet to begin with), but that 95% of the time those are the only things these people will type and automatically ignoring them gets rid of all the clutter in chat.

Theres plenty of helpful people or even people who are actually funny trolls/trash talkers, but its hard to see them if someone is spamming “lol noob get gd already idiot” every line.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

If you think pvp has a lot of insults you should try some pve world bosses like tequatl or the wurms. I couldn’t even read all the insults that fast.

Really in every gamemode there’s people insulting and that’s just how it is.
Just like others already said, ignore them or what i like to do is just kill them over and over again

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

Ignore and block. Don’t read the insults, don’t try to answer, don’t try to find logic.

Two days ago we played a game against a team with 4 turret engies and after the game one of them started to whisper to our mesmer bullkitten only because he was killed by him few times. He called our team cheesy (shatter mesmer, thief, ele, warrior, guardian) and the mesmers “the most braindead profession in PvP, which requires no skill at all”. I’m not joking, we have posted screenshots from this conversation on out forums, because it’s hard to believe.

Ignore and block.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Xli.7629

Xli.7629

ppl get kittened being killed in pvp it happens in every competitive game. whats so surprise about it? go play a dota game and u will know the gw2 so called “insults” are just kindergarten level.

besides i totally believe noobs playing in arena deserve all of it. if u suck then u stay in hotjoin simple as that.
if u cant do that and want to go in arena and screw up other real pvpers, you totally deserve all the insults.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Madtyping is the best part of PvP! PvP gets thuper boring! Same old stuff for over 2 years now! Same meta! Same maps! Same game mode! Madtyping is quality entertainment my frands! If someone rages at you, it is your duty as an Internet user to make him even more mad! Instigate! Make him as upset as possible! It is your job! If you get mad yourself, or you get offended, or you start madtyping, then you lose! Don’t take things so seriously!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

besides i totally believe noobs playing in arena deserve all of it. if u suck then u stay in hotjoin simple as that.

The OP was only talking about hotjoins, aware that his skills did not allow him to play at arena level. Did you even bother reading his post? Why so aggressive?

Besides, I’ve always found that most people insult one another not because of the lack of skill of fellow players, but because they lack skills themselves. Rather than recognizing the fact and acting upon it, they prefer to rage and blame the opponent or the mates.

Reporting and blocking players is unfortunately the proper way. They’ll see their remarks ignored, which will fuel their rage even more and have them utter more insults, until they quit or are banned for good.

Regards.

Etiquette and PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Xli.7629

Xli.7629

The OP was only talking about hotjoins, aware that his skills did not allow him to play at arena level. Did you even bother reading his post? Why so aggressive?

Besides, I’ve always found that most people insult one another not because of the lack of skill of fellow players, but because they lack skills themselves. Rather than recognizing the fact and acting upon it, they prefer to rage and blame the opponent or the mates.

Reporting and blocking players is unfortunately the proper way. They’ll see their remarks ignored, which will fuel their rage even more and have them utter more insults, until they quit or are banned for good.

Regards.

if they only rage with only “noobs” or other words without proper statement then i would agree with u.

unfortunately most of the time these noobs are yelled at exactly what they are doing wrong, double cap, 3 zerg far, random fights out of cap etc.

nobody cares about getting reported after abusing a noob, and they probably will fail to ban us anyway.