For God's Sake Remove 8v8 in sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Or at least put it under the “5v5” games. I don’t think anyone will deny that 5v5 games are more about strategy and you get to know people better and they’re not some mindless zerg.

I gave up 8v8 quite a while ago. The only problem is that people keep leaving 5v5 for no earthly reason I can think of and new people don’t join in. So almost every 5v5 game eventually gets empty. Today at night, I literally couldn’t find even one that was a real game – just filled with dueling etc.

So I bit the bullet and joined an 8v8…and was instantly reminded of why I left in the first place. No banter, no strategy, no fun…just zergs. And people like this? I can only assume they haven’t given 5v5 a try and seen how much better it is.

Please Anet…remove 8v8. It doesn’t foster a good mentality, allows people to get away with weaknesses much more and absolutely precludes communication. When these same people then join a tPvP match with 5v5, they carry over their “no communication” credo and doom the rest of us.

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I wouldn’t want to get rid of it. I like playing both.

Mostly play the 5v5 tournaments but I like goofing around in the big 8 v 8 hotjoin brawls too.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Or at least put it under the “5v5” games.I don’t think anyone will deny that 5v5 games are more about strategy and you get to know people better and they’re not some mindless zerg.

They actually did this for about 5 days. And it didn’t make hot-join heroes play them more.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well, you may not like them, but you dun speak for the whole community.

i enjoy both 8 vs 8 and 5 vs 5

them 8 vs 8 are good for sPvP dailies.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Or at least put it under the “5v5” games.I don’t think anyone will deny that 5v5 games are more about strategy and you get to know people better and they’re not some mindless zerg.

They actually did this for about 5 days. And it didn’t make hot-join heroes play them more.

Really? I didn’t know that. Did they write a blog post about it? How do you know more people didn’t play 5v5s during that time?

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I like 8v8 the way I like to watch 8v8 basketball.

Biggest. Clusterfug. Ever. AND teaches bad game strategy, really no redeeming feature about it except that it’s easier to farm glory.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Really? I didn’t know that. Did they write a blog post about it? How do you know more people didn’t play 5v5s during that time?

I would go to find a 5v5 server and they were all still empty except a few. A few times I would scroll down, and seen way more full 8v8 servers full than the 5v5.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

5v5 hotjoin sucks because people are constantly leaving matches and they don’t get replaced quick enough. You tend to see lots of 4v5, 3v5, 3v4. When a player leaves an 8v8, there is no noticeable difference. When a player leaves a 5v5, it’s a huge difference.

I agree that hotjoin should be 5v5 to foster a better learning environment and help prepare players for tournament mode, as well as discourage them from developing bad habits. However, leavers are not replaced fast enough. Perhaps a more intelligent “Play Now” matchmaking system could alleviate this issue.

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Well think about it this way, tpv kitten v5 because with a 3 point capture system, it require enough coordination to create a setup where it essentially ends up 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 or could even be 1-1-3, or any other order of those numbers (essentially, just a basic strategy, but leave no node unattended so that if assaulted, it doesn’t get quickly neutralized and converted, etc etc).

With hotjoins, the biggest issue is that the maps are actually small, and with only 3 cap points, in encourages large groups to form up and assault each point. So that 6-7 people end up at one point. While some people enjoy a good zerg, people looking to treat the game competitively are turned off by this because it is mindless and uncoordinated, and tactics like these don’t transition into higher level play.

The other side of this is that numerically, as people have mentioned, it is hard to keep up with the constant dropping of players. So while 8 players is not ideal, outside of the tourny setting, neither is 5. From another strategic analysis, 6 or 7 would be a fair number. If people were smart (which they are smart enough usually), with 6 people, they would spread themselves evenly across the 3 points, and then attacking and neutralizing a point would leave another point at an extremely disadvantage because it would always result in a small group versus a large group (this is the same thing that happens with 8 people).

7 people seems to be a more ideal number because when playing defensively, it already requires 1 node to be left less defended than the other 2, which allows the flow of action to transition well around the map because people would assault the less defended node and capping/transitioning would happen more the way it does in tpvp (albeit a bit less coordinated because no parties, but it would force some type of coordination in order to win).

This is all just my opinion and I could be dead wrong though, but it is an idea nonetheless.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in PvP

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

The problem, 5v5 is in the bottom of the SPvP room list. (this is the nature of human. Why I need to scroll to bottom if I can get to fight from the top server on the list ?)

Fix: reverse the list, and you will see a lot of people play 5v5.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Reverse the list, change the rewards as in incentivizing winning and changing the glory rewards. I die a little every time I see a hotjoin hero in tpvp capping a point with 2+ people.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: cippalippa.6483

cippalippa.6483

“For God’s Sake Remove 8v8 in sPvP”

agree

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

I would go to find a 5v5 server and they were all still empty except a few. A few times I would scroll down, and seen way more full 8v8 servers full than the 5v5.

Hmm…how about putting 8v8 matches on another tab? That should definitely help then. What we need is leavers in 5v5s to be replaced quickly. And the “Play now” button should give first preference to 5v5 arenas.

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Bigger maps. Then 8 vs. 8 would be fun. Sometimes even 5 vs. 5 the maps feel to small(depends on the map but the map with the orb it feels small if suddenly both full teams all players are back at the orb again).

in PvP

Posted by: reedju.5786

reedju.5786

In my opinion we need a game format for 8v8 groups. I do not think that current maps foster good 8v8 competition, they were made for coordinated 5v5 play (except Capricorn which is awful IMHO and wouldn’t mind it’s removal or at least take out the sharks…they are not a feature, they are just clunky PvE in PvP). We need smaller and larger scale combat for those who prefer it, more people would play for fun while Anet ironed out their competitive scene. Not to knock WvW but I’d like to see 8-10 men matches that had relative balance not based on gear or numbers. I don’t play 8v8 because I get claustrophobic in our current format on any map besides foefire

Black Avarice

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

8v8 is just silly on the maps as they are. During betas they had 5v5 on the hotjoins and it was fine. The hotjoin game has been trash since they made it 8v8. Some people like it, so leave it in for them, but make the glory rewards for 5v5 better than for 8v8 and you will see people migrate to the 5v5 servers instead where they will actually L2P.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I understand they introduced it for the sake of having more room. Theres little justification for it now.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Bigger maps. Then 8 vs. 8 would be fun. Sometimes even 5 vs. 5 the maps feel to small(depends on the map but the map with the orb it feels small if suddenly both full teams all players are back at the orb again).

Large scale battlegrounds are fun, but the maps are waaay too small to support that many people in the current hotjoin maps. Anet should double the size of the map and incorporate different objectives rather than focus on capping points, but all of our suggestions about changing pvp will fall on deaf ears…

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Changing the order alone wouldn’t be enough. You would need to make the “Hot Join” button also route to 5v5 because a lot of people use that.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

Changing the order alone wouldn’t be enough. You would need to make the “Hot Join” button also route to 5v5 because a lot of people use that.

I know Anet wants everyone to play 5v5 conquest because that’s what they invested all their time in, but the game needs more. Not everyone wants to play 5v5 conquest all the time and not everyone wants to play competitively.

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I think there needs to be more game modes not less. I like the 8v8 it’s good for farming rank points/glory.

in PvP

SuperHaze.4210

I think there needs to be more game modes not less. I like the 8v8 it’s good for farming rank points/glory.

I agree. 8v8 is just a giant kill fest and it can be fun at times. There are plenty of maps for the current conquest game mode and there needs to be other game modes that are just for fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

This is probably the main issue with 8v8.
It’s not only about having 16 players on a match that has been designed and balanced for 10 people, it’s about this gamemode giving better rewards to a not-so-competitive player than the intended 5v5, and even worse, giving better rewards by playing on a completely unintended way that many times ends up on a lost match.
Zerging in 8v8 is maybe the best way the regular player has for glory farming and daily fast completion.

It would be interesting to see glory being rewarded only at the end of the match (in order to avoid leavers) and being doubled for the winning team. This at least should encourage people to actually try to win.
I also think that the rewards should be increased for 5v5 because the higher amount of players should still mean faster matches and better glory farming on 8v8.

I don’t mind if 8v8 remains, but it should be there for people that enjoy bigger teamfights to play it, never for better resource (glory/daily) farming.
This way maybe we could see something that barely resembles an intentended gameplay in hotjoins.