Guide on how to return to sPvP...

in PvP

Posted by: Bohab.7825

Bohab.7825

When I started playing GW2 at its release I got into the game and entered heart of the mists never looking back. I have done no PvE and only have done sPvP.

I took a few months off from the game and I return to sPvP post this April 15th patch… My world has flipped outside down and I am not sure how to proceed.

I treated sPvP like any other player vs player fps game like CoD or w/e. I jump on the game when I feel like it and I join matches and proceed to have fun. Log off when I like, no strings attached sorta thing… My rewards were gaining ranks, reputation and building up my sPvP locker.

The other night I decided to jump on the game so I downloaded patches and logged on my character. I had NO idea what had happened to sPvP and I was lost as to what to do. All I wanted to do at the time is join some hot games and play… I could not do this and it was very disappointing. So I started asking a few questions in the mists and players told me I had to now unlock gear and skills. Gear and skills that I had access to over the last 2 years that I’ve earned 50+ ranks with. I played Gw2 sPvP for quick games. The ability to jump into the game and play against other players with the same gear as me is what I loved about the game. Is this not what sPvP is now? If I have to spend large amounts of time to “unlock” skills and gear in order to compete then this game is rather dead to me.

Perhaps this isn’t true and I can easily and quickly return my character back to the state it was before I left. So my question… Are there any guides out there as to what has changed and how to go about getting back into the fun quickly? I’ve read the patch notes but the amount of changes listed just left me lost as to what to do now…

Thanks!

Tavanyl

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

Yeah, PVP died on its kitten pretty much the day the game came out. Everyone hoped for better and ANet promised stuff that they never bothered to deliver on. Every few months a new stream of “marks” come in and for a little while they feel its still all going well. The fluid combat system really is great, shame about the twice a year pvp patches and removal of features all the time. The poor balance, the crap game mode that no one was a big fan of from the get go. Leaderboards that are borked, matchmaking from 1983, endless 4v5s and the like…….skyhammer, oh let me tell you about that genius map design. Hambows forever, its an endless and fruitless pursuit of nothing that has lead GW2 PVP to this end.

I think a lot of players in the beginning came here from different mmo backgrounds but with a clear desire to PVP. I like many came from WoW, and was lured with the promise of no more gear grind in PVP, a fair and equal level for all to enter, with only skill to separate the players. Now its FOTM build, x5, gg and have some crap chests that will only serve to annoy you once the novelty has worn off. Try getting excited about your next full stack of blood dust, after you just deleted nearly 4000. Feel the sheer joy of getting level 77 blue gloves that are worthless to anyone. Do you feel the joy? DO YOU FEEL THE FUN YET! START FEELING THE FUN OVER 20 SILVER FOR 8 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE!

But all joking aside, well the joke that is pvp included still, the game has now entered its PVP casual run. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it was not what was promised. But dont worry, you will have to travel to lions arch often enough with its 24 year loading time to unload more of them stupid reward chests.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Perhaps this isn’t true and I can easily and quickly return my character back to the state it was before I left. So my question… Are there any guides out there as to what has changed and how to go about getting back into the fun quickly? I’ve read the patch notes but the amount of changes listed just left me lost as to what to do now…

Thanks!

Yes, you can.

There were a lot of good changes on the April 15th patch, along with a few overdone/poorly-thought-out changes.

Your gear still has exactly the same stats as before, no change.

Your gear may have changed appearance, because appearance is now the same between PvE/PvP. If that happened and you want your old appearance back, just use transmutation charges on whatever you happen to be wearing. If you don’t play PvE, you will never have to worry about needing to “update” your gear. You’ll want to click the “hero” panel and then the “wardrobe” section.

If you want to switch back and forth between several different looks regularly, just buy starter level armor and weapons for a few copper from the merchants and use transmutation charges on them. This system is slightly more restrictive than the previous one, since you can run out of transmutation charges. To prevent that from happening, just keep “copies” of whatever look you want in your inventory. A bit more restrictive than before, but also more streamlined.

There are a couple of unlockable traits and skills that were a somewhat unfortunate decision. For those, you’ll need extra skill points (fourth healing skill) or PvE maps (new grandmaster traits) or gold (new sigils and runes). I believe the traits can also be purchased with gold, not sure atm. It’s slightly frustrating but you can usually unlock everything you need just by jumping through a couple of hoops. Not good design, but tolerable.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

When I started playing GW2 at its release I got into the game and entered heart of the mists never looking back. I have done no PvE and only have done sPvP.

I took a few months off from the game and I return to sPvP post this April 15th patch… My world has flipped outside down and I am not sure how to proceed.

I treated sPvP like any other player vs player fps game like CoD or w/e. I jump on the game when I feel like it and I join matches and proceed to have fun. Log off when I like, no strings attached sorta thing… My rewards were gaining ranks, reputation and building up my sPvP locker.

The other night I decided to jump on the game so I downloaded patches and logged on my character. I had NO idea what had happened to sPvP and I was lost as to what to do. All I wanted to do at the time is join some hot games and play… I could not do this and it was very disappointing. So I started asking a few questions in the mists and players told me I had to now unlock gear and skills. Gear and skills that I had access to over the last 2 years that I’ve earned 50+ ranks with. I played Gw2 sPvP for quick games. The ability to jump into the game and play against other players with the same gear as me is what I loved about the game. Is this not what sPvP is now? If I have to spend large amounts of time to “unlock” skills and gear in order to compete then this game is rather dead to me.

Thanks!

The game isn’t dead. PvP isn’t dead. PvP actually got a boost of activity after the first ToL and I suspect it will only grow more with the next one.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I still don’t get PvP, so it is that confusing….

I use to enjoy making my toon look good and what not, but its just too confusing now. WAY too many different tabs, there just needs to be ONE tab.

Example, PvP Build and Hero tabs…. Should just be 1 tab.

And yes, that one guy said PvP got made casual friendly he is right, moreso PvP has been made into PvE friendly….

Example, you have a PvE salvage kit vendor and gathering vendor in PvP zone…

There is no gathering or salvaging in PvP.

Do you think I have time to figure out how to make a legendary? Molten cores? What the kitten are those for… Surely nothing PvP related. I’d prefer I just get super random drop inside a chest instead.

Old PvP system, YOU JUST GET THE SKINS….. New PvP system, you gotta figure out how to make the skins, waste of time doing PvE stuff… They give you stuff you gotta put on bltc…. Just give me the gold instead.

You want more reward tracks? You better get good at running PvE dungeons so you can have more PvP reward tracks.

Just FYI, I’ve been PvPing for a good 40 hours, only leveled up 4 times… Currently a level 6 in PvE terms, no where near being able to do dungeons.

I still don’t understand WHY they got rid of glory vendors and made rank so easy to obtain.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

1: ignore forum trolls, the game is improving, and with no subscription fee you could be coming and going from spvp for years to come.

2: use the tab at the central top of your screen to change gear/traits while in the mists. Buy weapons/armor from the old vendors.

3: talk to some top players that play your class for build advice. The ‘meta’ forming across many classes post feature patch is speccing for high defensive(semi)/utility/support traits then might stacking with strength runes. This has also made boon duration a more attractive choice for traits further bolstering the support tree. Sizer’s theif, my guard, turret engi, Roms soldiers axe, Ele etc all use elements of this to become a higher tier 1v1 (well it gives eles a lot more pressure 1v1 anyway, and a crazy amount of team support/flat sustain).

4: if you solo queue you’ll encounter some moody people. They’re generally the same faces. Either ignore them or if you’re like me laugh at their inadequate terror necro skills (eg).

Phaatonn, London UK