Guild wars 2 from a Pvper perspective.

in PvP

Posted by: klicken.4593

klicken.4593

Guid wars 2 big lack of pvp content. No duels only one boring game mode. Weird focusing and targeting. NO ladders or any stuff that you want to play so you can buy or upgrade your armor. It makes the game more fun. 3 secons battles no fun and long lasting just burst and hope for the best. I have’nt played gw2 for about 2 months now and i havent see any patches that greatly strenghts the Pvp aspects. World of warcraft have a better pvp system not gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: Goorman.7916

Goorman.7916

I never understood, why anyone would need duels.
But the fact, that developers force players to participate in one game mode (to devs: it doesnt matter that you cant easy add secondary mechanics to TDM, people have asked for it since BWEs, so deliver them it, dont be stubborn).I hope that custom arenas will allow us to create TDM matches(for example increase spawn timer to eternity, give 10 points for one kill, 50 points = win, objective points do not give points at all: voila, you have TDM), however we need maps designed specifically for that.

Ash Goorman, 80 level ranger
Lavern Goorman, 80 level thief
Spvp rank 41

(edited by Goorman.7916)

in PvP

Posted by: Spindelhalla.2139

Spindelhalla.2139

I don’t think duels are important tbh.. Also, there is a way to duel if you want to, just join an empty room with the guys you want to duel.
I agree on the other things.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Why would anyone need duels? Well first of all it is very fun to fight 1×1, second you can learn a lot more about other class this way and how to counter it, thirdly it is a great activity while waiting for queues for tournaments to pass, etc.

I have no idea why was it not implemented at the beginning. Yes you can duel by going to an empty server with a friend, but:

A) Someone can always come and interfere
B) You might want to duel more various people, not only your friends
C) Why should there be so much work involved in dueling – go to the npc, find an empty server, log in, wait for your friend to log in, since it is capricon you need to run towards some place that you agreed to (its usually cannon for me), then either start count or rdy? yes, and only then you can start a duel (?). Why is it not /duel + enter, 3 2 1 – start the duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

You know it says a lot about a game if the biggest concern in pvp you have is lack of “duels”

You can just go to another room if a), You can find a room or 5 at the bottom of the server list where people are dueling a lot of people duel b)

Because the game is team based, and you want to it to cater to your specific wants, maybe it will someday but it’s not a big deal for the rest of us, we can just join a server and find people to duel c)

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

i agree with the statement “World of warcraft have a better pvp system not gameplay.”.The devs are pretty much building the spvp backwards, people need to progress individually through a ladder before making a team, not the other way around. I mean we got tournaments before anything lol. A pvp system should be built in this order; best of 1 games with multiple game types (to keep strong casual player base from release), best of 1 solo queue ladder for at least 1 or 2 game types (to start to single out the rely good players), spectator mode (so ppl can learn from the top players in the solo queue ladder), custom games (for scrims), best of 1 team ladder for same game types (so top ppl in solo queue ladder can have competitive team based scrims), replay function (for shout casting and other media), then tournaments. This infrastructure actually promotes outside organizations to host tournaments and create media content to showcase the pvp. We’re going backwards here arenanet…

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

You know it says a lot about a game if the biggest concern in pvp you have is lack of “duels”

You can just go to another room if a), You can find a room or 5 at the bottom of the server list where people are dueling a lot of people duel b)

Because the game is team based, and you want to it to cater to your specific wants, maybe it will someday but it’s not a big deal for the rest of us, we can just join a server and find people to duel c)

You act like your opinion is the overwhelming majority and his is isolated. I would go as far to say it’s the opposite and that most people either want duels or just don’t care either way.

You also ignore most of what he said about the problems with trying to duel in the current system. You replied to people coming in and trolling, but you completely ignored how long it takes to set up and how needlessly frustrating it can be, and how you’re almost entirely limited to dueling your friend.

It’s all about fun and opportunity cost. It would make the game much for fun for a large chunk of the sPvP playerbase, and it wouldn’t take too much time on the developers part. Win/win.

Edit: A 1v1 is the most challenging skill practice you can have, it makes you a better player when you get into team fights because you know how to hold your own instead of always having to rely on a teammate (and instead have that as a choice), and in a 5v5 with big maps you actually do have 1v1s a lot.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

in PvP

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

I’m trying to learn Dota 2 right now, and it really highlights how important it is for a PvP game to be separated from PvE. Any game with a PvE mode, will always treat PvP as an afterthought. Anet simply lacks the developer manpower to focus on a game mode designed for a niche playerbase.

Dota 2’s gameplay is crap compared to GW2’s, but the game is much better done otherwise.

in PvP

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

I’m trying to learn Dota 2 right now, and it really highlights how important it is for a PvP game to be separated from PvE. Any game with a PvE mode, will always treat PvP as an afterthought. Anet simply lacks the developer manpower to focus on a game mode designed for a niche playerbase.

Dota 2’s gameplay is crap compared to GW2’s, but the game is much better done otherwise.

What What What What, you just lost ALL your credibilty, your clearly still a beginner when it comes to Dota2 but are quick to judge, it’s like someone playing hon for 2 games and saying this has best pvp ever.

in PvP

Posted by: NeedCoffee.1402

NeedCoffee.1402

What What What What, you just lost ALL your credibilty, your clearly still a beginner when it comes to Dota2 but are quick to judge, it’s like someone playing hon for 2 games and saying this has best pvp ever.

I disagree. Everything he said made sense. All he was trying to say was that its super important to keep pvp and pve separate in the name of balance. GW2 is the only mmo with both that is successfully keeping them separate….oh and HoN sux….

as to the OP’s statement
1.) duals are a waste of time. The only players that like to dual are the ones that play classes that excel in a 1v1 situation. aka they just want to dominate you to feel better about themselves. They don’t prove anything and you definitely don’t learn anything, except what to do in a 1v1 situation which never happens in spvp or wvw.
2.) pvp progression through powerful items is a mistake and arena net will never do it.
3.) ladders? I don’t have an opinion I guess.
4.) wow? the battlegrounds were fun, but you act like wvw doesn’t exist. wvw is more fun than any wow battlegrounds.

Asus RIVE * i7 3820 E @4.7 Ghz (on air) * Asus GTX 670 * Asus VG248QE * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaw z 2133

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

“You act like your opinion is the overwhelming majority and his is isolated. I would go as far to say it’s the opposite and that most people either want duels or just don’t care either way.”

What’s my opinion again? “It’s not a big deal for the rest of us” = “just don’t care either way” How can it be the opposite then?

You also ignore most of what he said about the problems with trying to duel in the current system. You replied to people coming in and trolling, but you completely ignored how long it takes to set up and how needlessly frustrating it can be, and how you’re almost entirely limited to dueling your friend.

I have not had this experience, I’ve found plenty of games with people willing to duel.
but I only go into sPVP when the tourny que is taking too long.

It’s all about fun and opportunity cost. It would make the game much for fun for a large chunk of the sPvP playerbase, and it wouldn’t take too much time on the developers part. Win/win.
Edit: A 1v1 is the most challenging skill practice you can have, it makes you a better player when you get into team fights because you know how to hold your own instead of always having to rely on a teammate (and instead have that as a choice), and in a 5v5 with big maps you actually do have 1v1s a lot.

I don’t disagree. False, 1v2 is the most skill intensive practice

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

I don’t see any harm in adding duels into Hearts of the Mist – if it’s fun for some people then why not? It will alleviate the issue of joining a hot join match and finding that people are dueling instead of playing the game.

I agree that dueling doesn’t make much sense for this game in general because of the wide variety of builds you can have, many of which are not meant for 1v1. But if certain people want to build their characters to excel at 1v1 and duel then I don’t see the problem with that.

However, I think the biggest problems with spvp are:
1) Team balancing (not profession balancing) = no penalty for quitting mid-match; allowing people to join even numbered matches making it uneven and unfair (why not do it like wow and other games where an algorithm is used to put people into matches and prevent uneven teams?); the previous two points will address the horrible auto-balancing that moves someone from a team they have helped win to the losing team
2) Point system – I can walk up to a downed player whack him twice and get 5-15 points but if I help cap a point but get killed or step out at the last second I do not get any points despite my having been there for nearly the entire fight
3) Game modes – the game mode got boring 2 months ago and some new stuff needs to be added ASAP
4) Profession balancing – I really don’t think it’s as far off as many people make it sound like but there are clearly some adjustments necessary

All of these probably have to take a back seat to the many bugs existing in trait system and other places.

in PvP

Leadfoot.9071

triplepost – but i don’t think it’s my fault this forum is messed up

in PvP

Leadfoot.9071

doublepost mybad

in PvP

Posted by: NeedCoffee.1402

NeedCoffee.1402

they plan to add customizable arenas, so you will get what you want that way.
create and host your own 1v1 or your own guild vs guild (depending on how customizable it will be)

Asus RIVE * i7 3820 E @4.7 Ghz (on air) * Asus GTX 670 * Asus VG248QE * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaw z 2133

in PvP

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

I am very new to the game (less than 3 hours experience), but click-to-move is a bush league game mechanic (when coming from GW2). The keyboard movement of GW2 with a focus on dodging is much more demanding and rewarding.

Once MMOs get rid of target lock (and add aiming reticles) and combine it with the movement-based combat of GW2, we’ll have reached the pinnacle of skill-based MMO combat.

(edited by Chi Malady.2015)

in PvP

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

I am very new to the game (less than 3 hours experience), but click-to-move is a bush league game mechanic (when coming from GW2). The keyboard movement of GW2 with a focus on dodging is much more demanding and rewarding.

Once MMOs get rid of target lock (and add aiming reticles) and combine it with the movement-based combat of GW2, we’ll have reached the pinnacle of skill-based MMO combat.

That’s all your opinion and contains no actual fact. I like the system of movement for Dota and LoL just as much as I like GW2’s movement.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

tera has and is going free cuz its niche

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: B Rad.5416

B Rad.5416

World of warcraft have a better pvp system not gameplay.

I agree with this 100%. I started out in a serious spvp guild and all left the game within a month because there were no rankings.

Also I would say the game definitely needs dueling, it helps you learn other classes and can make assessing if someone is good enough to join your pug tournament group a lot easier (since glory rank does not equal skill). Currently the whole system with rank based on how much you have played is a complete failure. I could bot 24/7 and be one of the highest ranks on my server with not even knowing how to play the game. This horrible ranking aspect, and no ladders is what has really kept me from playing sPvP.

B Rad 80 Thief | Scrúbs 80 Guardian | Aquaholic 80 Elementalist |
Keyser Soze 80 Warrior | Muted 80 Mesmer | Crim De La Crim 80 Necro |
Server: Jade Quarry

in PvP

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

The “why would anyone want duels” thing is silly.

Because they are fun, a core concept of almost any modern MMO, and fun. If you think of a game as what it really is, a giant superflous, fun-maker… then it seems silly not to have someting that is expected, requested, and enjoyed.

Now to some actual argument in favor of it. Dueling against classes is the second best way to learning and countering said classes (the first being to play the classes).

Were dueling really implemented, I think a great many L2P issues would already be resolved. Instead, we are busy trying to learn how to dodge warriors, attack Ranger ult, figure out what the kitten DS does exactly, what the hell did that ele just do, etc. in the middle of an 8v8 zerg.