How do you start and finish?

in PvP

Posted by: Anhomedog.7968

Anhomedog.7968

In pvp it seems every team has a different way of starting their matches, but everyone has a common ending every once in a while… Winning. My question to everyone is, what are your starting “formations” or plans? Do you send a heavy to protect a home point or do you send the mobile Mesmer with the portal home for quick movements to mod of needed? It seems rather late to ask for the ToL but one thing my team has a problem with sometimes is starting good. It’s somewhat embarrassing to be asking such a simple question as what do you do when you start your game, but there must be a science to it. My team doesn’t plan to win, know we’ve only been seriously playing together for less than a week, our goal is to just get past our first matchup,…we See that as a reasonable goal to reach. Now like I said we “know” the easiest things like get home and mod and such but this is more like numbers. Do you send 2 home 3 mid? Do you send 1 home 3 mid 1 far? This obviously may change with maps but please do your best to give me some info on how we should start. Btw our team comp is…

S/F ele (roamer)
mm nerco (home point bunk)
Bunk guard (mid point bunk)
Shatter Mesmer (roamer (secondary objective))
Engineer (different builds)(usually mid point bunk/sometimes roamer)

I’d say my partners would be willing to change their builds and we are willing to try anything new, also I know already that we carry 3 light armors… You don’t need to bring that up.

So our tactics now on most maps:

Necro goes straight home
Ele goes mid
Engi goes mid
Guard goes mid
Mess either gets secondary objective or goes far

So in other words 1 home 1 far and 3 mid. This works sometimes but not all the time . Some teams send 2 to our home,4 to our mid or 1 to the far. Every team is different so how do we prepare for these things?

Also, are secondary objectives like chief and svanir a “stop what you are doing and go kill the npc” or do we wait for 2 points and then go for these objectives?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I’m not asking for deep down stuffs, just se tactics for anyone reading this! This thread was made on my iPhone so if autocorrect changed anything or didn’t change what needed to be changed then sorry in advance… And as always, thanks So much for your help!!

Ride the Lightning: Movement speed adjustments
no longer affect the intended travel distance.
-The Pros at ANET

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Your opening formation is like playing PaperRockScissors. If you open well then great, play defensive, watch spawn. If you open bad, team members need to be fast and match numbers or rotate off. This changes for every map. Crucial to count numbers and communicate enemy positions during the opening. (E.G forest map, people heading to mid can exit towards beach area to watch for crossings, and adjust formation)

There been numerous posts on map strategies and formations. Google search them. But, best advice is to watch tournament streams and play more.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Your opening formation is like playing PaperRockScissors. If you open well then great, play defensive, watch spawn. If you open bad, team members need to be fast and match numbers or rotate off. This changes for every map. Crucial to count numbers and communicate enemy positions during the opening. (E.G forest map, people heading to mid can exit towards beach area to watch for crossings, and adjust formation)

There been numerous posts on map strategies and formations. Google search them. But, best advice is to watch tournament streams and play more.

This; and people believing that there is a set strategy that should be played the entire game, this is never the case since decisions need to be made based on how you perform initially or how your opponent rotates (enemy team comp+ other variables), there is no set strategy to this, just more experience based on how your team communicates with each other.

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

There is not really a common strategy but I can comment on your team comp. You have a Mesmer, Engineer and Necro which all need to be “looked after” in a sense as they all get easily focused (Thief especially will punish the Mesmer and Engie). The Necro is MM so I guess he can hold his own pretty well but he’s slow so he can’t get to mid to support team fights quickly.

Also with the objectives don’t go for them unless the other team does is always a good tactic, Mesmers and Thieves can still very well so keep an eye on them. Also as a Mesmer If he wants to go far instead of him going there and just getting outnumbered drop a portal and peel away to mid, maybe kill someone and portal back to what is usually an empty far.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs