How to read that % personal rank ?

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

Q:

This might be a useful question for many of us, what does that % means ? For instance, if someone has 90% is him really close to get into the leaderboard or really far ? What is that % related to ?

thx

in PvP

Posted by: Socram.6587

Socram.6587

It seems to be the percentage of people that are under your rating.
Therefore 90% means that 10% have a higher rating than you.

in PvP

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

That moment when you get 90% for both tpvp and achievements…cries in corner Q_Q

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Yes 90% is very high but not quite leader-board. I believe leaderboards is anything above 90% because I haven’t heard of anyone get above 90% but I have heard of some at 90% hit leaderboards after 1 win.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

That makes no sense. I would assume that the % means the top percentile. I.e at 90% you are in the top 90 percentile but that’s pretty far away. I could be completely wrong. What % are top ten players getting? I’m at 80% but not in the top 1000.

in PvP

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

that means 20k people play tpvp x’D

in PvP

Posted by: Socram.6587

Socram.6587

Yes 90% is very high but not quite leader-board. I believe leaderboards is anything above 90% because I haven’t heard of anyone get above 90% but I have heard of some at 90% hit leaderboards after 1 win.

That seems to be the case. When filtering by world in the Achievements tab, you can see the percentile of players that are not in the top 1000.
At the 1k mark you can currently see this for my world:
991 Renegade.1694 6358 Kodash [DE]
90% Reema.7360 6353 Kodash [DE]

The percentile also seems to be a very rough estimate, as people with APs of ~4700 have 90%, as well. I guess it moves in 5% steps.

in PvP

Posted by: kaplis.7195

kaplis.7195

where do you see these percentages?

Edit: oh, found it, apparently it appears only if you’re not on the top of the leaderboards (i get my percentages in achievment leaderboards)

(edited by kaplis.7195)

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

Login and check the leaderboard to see your rating.

I guess the % means the % of your rating to enter the leaderboard, so 90% means your rating is 90% of the last one in leaderboard, the 1000th player.

in PvP

Posted by: Mssg.7804

Mssg.7804

they jsut make one big mess…. why not just give us normal rating? like rating:2343 ehh this is really bad.

They trying to be so different from other games… why dont use great old and easy to read systems.

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

lol yeah, an easy displayed number with our rank points would have been sooo easier to understand…. something like dude.5467 rank 1000 has 271 rank points…… you have 174 rank points.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

I guess the % means the % of your rating to enter the leaderboard, so 90% means your rating is 90% of the last one in leaderboard, the 1000th player.

that is not true.
being it a percentile distribution, it means if you’re at 90%, 10% of total population will be higher ranked than you.

From a rough numerical standpoint, 1000th on the leaderboards could be only 2 rank points above you if you’re at 90%, you wouldn’t know

percentile distributions are related to the WHOLE population, not only the leaderboards.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

that is not true.
being it a percentile distribution, it means if you’re at 90%, 10% of total population will be higher ranked than you.

From a rough numerical standpoint, 1000th on the leaderboards could be only 2 rank points above you if you’re at 90%, you wouldn’t know

percentile distributions are related to the WHOLE population, not only the leaderboards.

You may be right That is why I used the words “I guess” :P Anyway your idea may be the correct one but I personally hope not, because people need a reference of “how much I need to enter LB”, otherwise people will keep asking for a visible rating.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

that is not true.

You may be right That is why I used the words “I guess” :P Anyway your idea may be the correct one but I personally hope not, because people need a reference of “how much I need to enter LB”, otherwise people will keep asking for a visible rating.

I completely agree we need a visible rating, but even more we need a solo/premade ranking split.

I was in top 1000 and with some matches lost in solo, I dropped out of the leaderboard.
the system is very pug unfriendly and for people (like me) who don’t have time fkr a schedule (like university exams, work and similar) solo que is simply ranking suicide: I can’t enjoy the game, and I’m forced into hotjoins (AWFUL).

I would like to play the game anytime I want and not onpy when I’m not busy with IRL stuff.

Percentile leaderboards are more than enough FOR NOW, solo/premade rating split is much more important.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

that means 20k people play tpvp x’D

Seems right to me .
I honestly don’t believe there is more than 40 ks gw2 players that play tournament pvp. Of a total, let’s be conservative, 1 million of gw2 players, 40 ks is next to nothing.

That’s why i laugh hard when people at the mists talk about the “amazing pontential” of gw2 spvp xD .

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

This might be a useful question for many of us, what does that % means ? For instance, if someone has 90% is him really close to get into the leaderboard or really far ? What is that % related to ?

thx

They state that it’s the “percentile”. So “90%” means that you’re in the top 10%. Or that 90% of the observations are below you.

Feel good about yourself

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

This is a percentile. Like when you went to the dr. As a kid an you would be in the 40th percentile for height it means you are taller than 40% of the population of kids your age.

In our case it means you are in that percentile among people who have played enough tournament matches since the most recent reset to be on the Leaderboards. If you search and don’t see yourself listed you have not played enough tournament games to qualify. Currently it is accurate to within 10%, but the goal is to get this to 1% or less eventually.

There are more Leaderboards features still coming as well once we are sure the current feature set is stable.

Jon

(edited by JonPeters.5630)

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

SO…at 5%… I might be at 0% OR I might be at 15%

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

Previous

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Looks like PvP boards are 5% granularity now so at 5% you are probably between 0 and 5 if I had to guess how it works.

Jon

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

No more solo queing tourneys for me!

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Mssg.7804

Mssg.7804

mindkitten system, can we have normal rating numbers now, please?

so there is how this kitten count
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile
ehh

(edited by Mssg.7804)

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

So you have to be in the top 90th percentile to be in the top 1,000. So we are suppossed to believe there are 10,000 players doing a significant ammout of pvp? Color me skeptical. The rating system needs to be refined more to keep people with very low match totals that get on a lucky win steak out of the rankings (look Mom Im 7-2 and ranked 30th!) also getting a loss when you quit a match needs to be added asap. Wake me up when these rankings are meaningful and do not just reflect who groups all the time, some newbs on a win streak, or people that quit all the time to game the system.

(edited by Kwll.1468)

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

I don’t understand how this works… I don’t see any percentile next to my name other than my win%…

Clarify?

in PvP

Posted by: Cosine.7841

Cosine.7841

I don’t understand how this works… I don’t see any percentile next to my name other than my win%…

Clarify?

You are in the top 1000. It only shows %-tile if you’re not in the top 1000.

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

I know! too many players in there goof around treating it like hot joins. Sucks man so premade is the only way to get good winning %.

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

I know! too many players in there goof around treating it like hot joins. Sucks man so premade is the only way to get good winning %.

because there is no in-game tutorial explaining the difference between hot join and ranked, there are probably a lot of people in game who don’t even know there are leaderboards that are just solo queuing for ranked because they hate hot join.

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

because there is no in-game tutorial explaining the difference between hot join and ranked, there are probably a lot of people in game who don’t even know there are leaderboards that are just solo queuing for ranked because they hate hot join.

There are explanations how to do those games in pvp. It tells you at the start when you want enter the pvp zone for the first time. Tpvp and hot joins are the same mechanics, but just different atmosphere. The fact that we have too many players goofing around in Tpvp like in hotjoins is that they just rush through the introductions trials just to get some kills.

Perfect example… yesterday and my team won. 3 enemies chased me the whole entire match because I play a regen bunker warrior. It’s probably a rare sight you see some I guess and they ignored all nodes in their surroundings and buffs. That goes to tell they go for the kills more than nodes and this happens to me a lot in Tpvp now than before.

Solo queue rank Tpvp matches are okay, but ever since that was release we get all kind of casuals. The ones that want to learn and the ones that don’t. The ones that don’t just like in Spvp hot joins likes to keep fighting at one node for a straight 10minutes. Pretty boring…

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: mongolianmisfit.8350

mongolianmisfit.8350

I still don’t quite understand the leaderboards and the percentile.

If someone has more games and a better percentage “win/loss ratio” than others on the leaderboard, than what other statistics aren’t you showing us that would allow us to grasp why said person isn’t on leaderboards. There are obviously other variables that allow this calculation for all of this to make sense.

I went from 85% this morning….to 80% and have no idea why when my win/loss ratio was higher. So I’m guessing that means more people were playing that surpassed me? But like I said, what other variables are there so people can actually understand the differentials.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

If someone has more games and a better percentage “win/loss ratio” than others on the leaderboard, than what other statistics aren’t you showing us that would allow us to grasp why said person isn’t on leaderboards. There are obviously other variables that allow this calculation for all of this to make sense.

I went from 85% this morning….to 80% and have no idea why when my win/loss ratio was higher. So I’m guessing that means more people were playing that surpassed me? But like I said, what other variables are there so people can actually understand the differentials.

It’s about who you beat and who you lose to. If all you do is play during 3am-8am farming random pugs with your pre-made of course you’re going to have a very high win percentage but it also means you’re not playing the other top teams because none of them have daily schedules of playing during that time. Thus your win % might be 90+ but that doesn’t make you top of the leaderboard. Compare that to a team that plays every night during prime hours facing the best players on the server and winning many, but not necessarily all, matches. Just because they lose occasionally to other high-ranked players doesn’t mean they should be ranked below a team that face-rolls other people during off-hours.

Want a different example. Let’s say someone lost over 2,000 matches because they never used their keyboard and had only a couple wins. Their win % would be less than 1%. So then one day he learned you can use your keyboard to play and is now phenomenal. He plays 100 matches and wins all 100 and eventually is only playing the top players in the game. He’s undefeated at 200 wins just from beating the top players. If the system was based around win% then this player who is CONSTANTLY beating the BEST teams in the game is rated as the lowest 5% of players because even with his 200 consecutive wins against the BEST players in the game he’s still only got a win % of 10.

The current system up is a very good one for measuring team performance—not so much solo queuers.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: mongolianmisfit.8350

mongolianmisfit.8350

snip.

Yes, I understand that, but the variables that show this are what I want to see on the leaderboard. What is the “worth” (or what variables represent this) then of the rated players on the leaderboard which give them the top 10%. I guess because I’m a numbers person, I want numbers to comprehend and I am sure others do to.

Just like everyone else that doesn’t have a persistent team, solo/premade should be separated.

(edited by mongolianmisfit.8350)

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Yes, I haven’t done enough tournament pvp games, 589 games and 311 wins is not enough for leaderboard material. Even though some people on leaderboard haven’t played in weeks and have 7 games 4 wins.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Yes, I haven’t done enough tournament pvp games, 589 games and 311 wins is not enough for leaderboard material. Even though some people on leaderboard haven’t played in weeks and have 7 games 4 wins.

Well if you want to be in the leaderboard, dont ever solo queue, get into a good team and play only with them. Play what u know works and don’t try new builds, let others do that.
For example, I know 2 dudes on that leaderboard that don’t team with pugs of their clan because if they do they will probably lose games and drop rank, so they just play with their team and that’s it.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Ok i only soloq.I was 75% and ive played some games and now im 80% but theres a red mark that shows that i dropped 5% since last update..Im confused cause i was 54-50 and now i am 57-51..I thought going from 75% to 80% is suppose to be a good thing.Why theres a red mark next to 80% saying that i dropped 5%?

in PvP

Posted by: AshinDreidon.3861

AshinDreidon.3861

I only ever soloQ due to having a weird schedule and I was at 60% last night and after a few unsuccessful matches I’m down to 40%. I understand that if you lose you will drop in %, but this is becoming very disheartening. I really want to play to enjoy the game but it’s getting harder and harder and when you play a bunch of matches with people trying to zerg like hotjoin or having someone quit halfway through, and then LOSE what seems to be large percents, it’s really difficult to keep motivated.

I actually -want- to improve through soloQ until I can eventually stabilize myself enough to be on a team with a matching schedule, but this system is pushing me away. I guess the answer is just ‘suck it up’ and deal with it if you ever want anything other than hotjoin..

shadow, magus, hunter (progress: ritualist, paragon)
soloQing my way through leagues…

in PvP

Posted by: SwickHobo.5096

SwickHobo.5096

That moment when you get 90% for both tpvp and achievements…cries in corner Q_Q

Haha i’m 90% for both as well.