I am both 837 and 32% - same player!

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

I wonder how many months of playing it would take for my two MMRs to converge and actually represent my actual ability.

I have two accounts. I bought the second one months ago in a desperate attempt to get out of ELO basement to get more serious matches. (Please…save me you opinions on this. I could afford it and I wanted better matches).

I started playing on day 1 of the new soloQ. I won more than I lost, and right now I am at 837, having fallen from the 600s because I have not been playing that character because I was afraid of playing top 100 teams and losing all my MMR to date.

So, I started playing the other account in SoloQ a few days ago. I currently lose more than I win on that account. and that one is at 32%. I always seem to be asked to carry people 35 ranks below me. I top the scoring but I just can’t seem to win the games.

Same player, same build.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

(edited by Silentshoes.1805)

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Hello Silentshoes,

We are tired of your QQ threads

Sincerely,

The PvP forums

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Do you deserve to be rank 800? Your true MMR won’t be accurate with so few games played.

[SoF]

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Lux, interesting that you didn’t ask if I deserve to be 32%. I win more at the 800 level. It would seem I belong there.

in PvP

Lux.7169

You said you were scared to play on your 800 account so it sounds like you’ve been playing more on your 35% thus making it the more accurate representation of your skill.

If you’re struggling to win down there what makes you think you deserve top 1,000? Perhaps instead of blaming bad luck or your teams you could take responsibility and re-evaluate your approach to winning. The only common factor in all of your games is you.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Quickfoot,

I give you my permission to not click on any posts I make on the Forum, nor reply to them…and thereby let them scroll away to nothingness on page 20 or something.

So you may now relax and let me talk about what I wish, with other people who want to talk about it.

Have a great day.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

You said you were scared to play on your 800 account so it sounds like you’ve been playing more on your 35% thus making it the more accurate representation of your skill.

If you’re struggling to win down there what makes you think you deserve top 1,000? Perhaps instead of blaming bad link or your teams you could take responsibility and re-evaluate your approach to winning. The only common factor in all of your games is you.

Lux, your bias is obvious. I have played more games at the 800 level, and have done fine. But with all the screenshots people have been posting of the unfair matches, I decided that I would try waiting for the boards to stabilze (if they do) before risking unfair matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Shinju.1083

Shinju.1083

Hello Silentshoes,

Sincerely,

The PvP forums

This

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

If you’re struggling to win down there what makes you think you deserve top 1,000? Perhaps instead of blaming bad link or your teams you could take responsibility and re-evaluate your approach to winning. The only common factor in all of your games is you.

Nope. I have more games on the 800 level. And I win more. But I stopped after seeing the kinds of matches people are getting at the moment. I am hoping ArenaNet fixes something before I get tanked again by factors outside my control.

Your bias is obvious. You don’t like me. You want to attack me and put me down. I get it.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Shinj,

You, too, are free to ignore my posts and not comment on them.

in PvP

Lux.7169

I am only replying to what you’ve told us. Basically: “I am too afraid to play on my rank 800 account so I bought another account and now I am 35% and can’t crawl out.”

Play 100 games on your rank 800 account then come show me its still not 35%

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

Hello Silentshoes,

Sincerely,

The PvP forums

Hmmm … speak for yourself, perhaps. I don’t like to be boxed in with you, no offense.

While we are at it, I do believe I saw some weird QQ from some (thief?) about rangers pets, isn’t it?

OT: On a personal level, I would not be afraid of the challenge. Isn’t the challenge what we play for after all (yeah, I know .. easy to say, since it is not my mmr on the stake)? Sure, it isn’t on even terms (talking coordination on TS/whatnot here), but hopefully it is something you will learn from as well.

(edited by Poxxia.1547)

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

I am only replying to what you’ve told us. Basically: “I am too afraid to play on my rank 800 account so I bought another account and now I am 35% and can’t crawl out.”

No Lux,
I said I bought the second account months ago because of the Team Q issues.

And I said I AM afraid of playing the 800 since the matches can be unfair and tank my rating down due to ridiculous matches with top 100 players, likely on TS.

As I said, I can see you want to insult me and put me down. Anyone can see it.

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Do you deserve to be rank 800? Your true MMR won’t be accurate with so few games played.

this

MMR is supposed to change over time, you could have just luck on enemies that one day, the more you play the more valued your rank will be

in PvP

Lux.7169

I’m sorry you find my observations insulting but I am just speaking to the facts as I know them. Perhaps instead of acting like you’re entitled to rank 800 and acting paranoid and protecting it you could just play on it and not care about the leaderboard you think has no merit.

Over the 150 games I’ve played with and against top players I have never had any of them ask the team to join TS.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

in PvP

Shinju.1083

Shinj,

You, too, are free to ignore my posts and not comment on them.

Every thread you post is complaining. You could, for once, make a thread asking on how to improve your rank. People would be glad to help. But the threads you’re making are annoying people and making a bad name for you.

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

No Lux,
I said I bought the second account months ago because of the Team Q issues.

And I said I AM afraid of playing the 800 since the matches can be unfair and tank my rating down due to ridiculous matches with top 100 players, likely on TS.

As I said, I can see you want to insult me and put me down. Anyone can see it.

This is just wrong. If you are afraid of playing in the top 800 because of who you can be matched with or against then it means your not on that level. Its solo, not team, so if you join you have the same odds as getting the ringer team as playing against them.

The fact on your other account that you can’t carry a team at rank 35% playing against other rank 35% people means you probably deserve to be around there. After all, 5 35%‘s vs 4 35%’s and a self proclaimed top 1000 should result in a win by your team every time, right?

Its interesting to see people complain about match making NOW when everything is solo and your being paired with players around your rank. If you are better then them you should win most games since the other 9 players in the match are ‘below’ you.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

I find rank this early in the running to be meaningless. If you played less than say 50 matches it doesn’t really matter. I am rank 850 supposedly…do i deserve it? only if i can keep it up!

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

I’d be interested in the opinions of some people stuck in the bottom of the ELO, in the percentages, rather than from all these people who are well above 800.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

I’m sorry you find my observations insulting .

Oh, I doubt that.

in PvP

Shinju.1083

I started off as rank 75, but I started to play better players as me and have had some bad luck along the way, and now I’m near rank 400. But I’ve been playing on the same account anyway. I’ve gotten upset of course, but I didn’t start playing on my mule account because of it. My husband told me to just have fun, and even though I care about my rank, I still have fun even if I lose.

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

First line of my OP: “I wonder how many months of playing it would take for my two MMRs to converge and actually represent my actual ability.”

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

I’d be interested in the opinions of some people stuck in the bottom of the ELO, in the percentages, rather than from all these people who are well above 800.

Started PvP as a YoloQ player playing in the previous ‘unbalanced and unfair’ tournament system at 40%. Got myself up to the 80%’s, found a team and continued to get better. Im now top 300, usually top 150. Lets not assume you know the history of every person responding to you because you dont agree with them.

in PvP

Shinju.1083

First line of my OP: “I wonder how many months of playing it would take for my two MMRs to converge and actually represent my actual ability.”

Play on your rank 800 account and see then. If you go up, that’s great! If you go down, the. Who cares? Just have fun.

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

You said yourself, your scared to play in the top 800 because of who you are going to face/play with. You clearly dont belong there and you got there because you were an early adopter before more people made the switch. How that is at all a valid data point in your mind is beyond me.

The real question is how long will it take to improve from 35% to your perceived skill level, however your results seem to indicate your right where you belong.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Play on your rank 800 account and see then. If you go up, that’s great! If you go down, the. Who cares? Just have fun.

Shinju,

Thank you for the polite, encouraging reply.

in PvP

Shinju.1083

Shinju,

Thank you for the polite, encouraging reply.

Thank you for your smart reply. But seriously, if you just take advice from people and stop qq’ing and actually PLAY you’ll go somewhere.

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Shinju,

I meant it. You reply was polite and encouraging.

My problem is with the MMR matcher. That’s mostly what I am posting about, urging ANet to at least talk to us about it, and better, fix it so we are not given matches we have no hope of winning.

Without fair matches, why even have a leaderboard?

in PvP

Shinju.1083

Shinju,

I meant it. You reply was polite and encouraging.

My problem is with the MMR matcher. That’s mostly what I am posting about, urging ANet to at least talk to us about it, and better, fix it so we are not given matches we have no hope of winning.

Without fair matches, why even have a leaderboard?

Why don’t you send them a message directly then? It’s going nowhere in the forums.

Shinju [SoF] Ranger

Girl Gamer

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

It’s going to take you a lot of games to dig out of that 32% hole, because randomness becomes a larger factor the lower you go. You will find more 4v5s, more people who don’t understand the game at all making it an effective 4v5, etc. Of course the other side gets the same chance of that (actually a slightly higher chance, since your team only has 4 potential spots for one of those players to take, while theirs has 5), but the point is that it’s chance. Eventually they’ll balance out and your ability will be the only variable. However, unless you’re very good, the randomness will play a larger role than your ability, and that means a LOT of games will be needed to climb out. It is almost inevitable that you will, (assuming you are better than a 32% player), but it will take time, and will probably be very frustrating.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

in PvP

Quickfoot Katana.8642

The reason the MMR matcher is “unfair” is because some people are scared to play, how do you want the system to work if everyone is scared to play? Hum? About 60% of the people in the Leaderboards have less than 30 games played. That’s nothing. That gives the system nothing to work on accurately.

This Ladder anxiety is so much common in every other game that has competitive Ladders that I grew tired of hearing about it.

This problem originates from players thinking they deserve X rating but are afraid to find out if that’s really true, because if it happens to be a “lie” how will the rest of the community look upon them if they don’t meet the expectations said players have set for themselves. It’s usually a sympton of lack of self-confidence in one’s habilities and skills to achieve their goals.

You should just stop caring about Leaderboards, I don’t see anyone taking Leaderboards any seriously, especially with our current meta. It’s a game, and not everyone is a pro player and what’s wrong with that? You can still be an above average player and that means you are better than most of the people.

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

If you look back a couple of weeks on the forums, you will see that I was a huge supporter of a SoloQ where the key factor would be your skill at helping your team win against a team of the same rating. A match with a 50% win chance.

I was really disappointed when I saw the screenshots of the top people not having to play against each other in a 50/50 match, but rather against lower rated players.

I kept waiting for ANet to acknowledge the problem, explain it, explain what they are doing to fix it, or explain why they cannot ever fix it.

They are unfortunately, completely silent to explain all those screenshots.

I think it is good to keep this in focus on the forums so they will see that they are driving away players.

And I will say again, I win more games at the 800 level But I fear that if I go up against enough top 25 teams (perhaps on TS), I may be dropped to the ELO basement where the games are even more random and less competative.

So I am simply waiting a bit to see if ArenaNet fixes it so that top 100s play against other top 100 players most of the time to earn their win/loss record.

in PvP

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Just keep in mind those screenshots you see posted all over the forums, are the cases where that does happen. None posts a screenshot when that sort of thing didn’t happen right?

There you go, the problem in here is feedback perception. Only the one upset by a couple of odd matches go as far as screenshot it and post it on the forums. Meanwhile, the majority of people just presses “Join Solo Arena” button again.

There’s no way in hell you will play vs top 25 teams at the 800 level. I am at 600 and after 30 games there was only 1 match that had 2 guys that were ranked 100s and 160s

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

in PvP

Posted by: Xaqq.7562

Xaqq.7562

The reason the MMR matcher is “unfair” is because some people are scared to play, how do you want the system to work if everyone is scared to play? Hum? About 60% of the people in the Leaderboards have less than 30 games played. That’s nothing. That gives the system nothing to work on accurately.

This Ladder anxiety is so much common in every other game that has competitive Ladders that I grew tired of hearing about it.

This problem originates from players thinking they deserve X rating but are afraid to find out if that’s really true, because if it happens to be a “lie” how will the rest of the community look upon them if they don’t meet the expectations said players have set for themselves. It’s usually a sympton of lack of self-confidence in one’s habilities and skills to achieve their goals.

You should just stop caring about Leaderboards, I don’t see anyone taking Leaderboards any seriously, especially with our current meta. It’s a game, and not everyone is a pro player and what’s wrong with that? You can still be an above average player and that means you are better than most of the people.

It’s “unfair” because the algorithm is kittened. Probably written by an intern in a few days -_-". Seriously, someone posted screenshot of players ranking in both team: One was ~all players < 100 while the other was 300-500. Not sure where the “data” problem here is.

This is without talking about the real balance between team setup: an awesome joke.

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

If you look back a couple of weeks on the forums, you will see that I was a huge supporter of a SoloQ where the key factor would be your skill at helping your team win against a team of the same rating. A match with a 50% win chance.

I was really disappointed when I saw the screenshots of the top people not having to play against each other in a 50/50 match, but rather against lower rated players.

I kept waiting for ANet to acknowledge the problem, explain it, explain what they are doing to fix it, or explain why they cannot ever fix it.

They are unfortunately, completely silent to explain all those screenshots.

I think it is good to keep this in focus on the forums so they will see that they are driving away players.

And I will say again, I win more games at the 800 level But I fear that if I go up against enough top 25 teams (perhaps on TS), I may be dropped to the ELO basement where the games are even more random and less competative.

So I am simply waiting a bit to see if ArenaNet fixes it so that top 100s play against other top 100 players most of the time to earn their win/loss record.

Your winning more in 800 because other people can compensate for you. At 35% you have to stand on your own and be the best to guarantee a win against ‘sub par’ competition and your not. To put it simply, in 800 rank matches you have to not mess up and allow your team to carry you to a win, at 35% you need to contribute since there is no one better to carry you.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Parisalchuk.9230,

You really dislike me, don’t you? You really want to beat me down on “forum PvP”. Going for the stomp are you?

So everybody in the 800s and above is probably being carried, is that right? Or is it just me, because I have been honest that I cannot seem to quickly carry 4 less-experienced players in the low percentage matches?

I help my teams quite well in my 800 games, thank you. I play strategically. I do what needs to be done to help the win. I am always thinking, watching the timers, buffing as needed. DPSing as needed. Communicating.

It doesn’t seem to help me as much at the 35% games.

As long as we are being candid, what’s your rating on the leaderboards?

in PvP

Posted by: Snate.2961

Snate.2961

You all please leave Silentshoes alone. His comic relief is invaluable and these forums would not move an inch without him…carry on Silentshoes.

in PvP

Quickfoot Katana.8642

35% is a really low percentage. 800 is a really high percentage. One of those two is off by a lot. If you can’t carry at 35%, well you aint carrying at 800 either.

35% percentile you are obliged to win 1v3s for gods sake. Grab your guy and place him at their close and WIN fights. They’ll come in zerg or 1 by 1.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Oh I have no illusions about carrying anyone at 800. But I play well and win games. This entire thread is supposed to be about the meaning of the MMR, not about me.

in PvP

Lux.7169

Meaning of MMR? I actively play on two accounts. One more than the other by a lot but my main account is 250ish and my mule is 300ish. Both fluctuate from 150-400. It’s consistent for me and my wife.

[SoF]