Is PvP on autopilot?

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

While I thoroughly enjoy the flow of combat in this game I am very disappointed with the progress—or lack thereof—with regard to PvP. Honestly, I think PvP has regressed from launch. At least in the early months we had the real automated tournament format. Or when we used to get gems for winning rated matches.

I could go on complaining but that’s a post for another topic. The issue here for me is: where do we go from here?

IMO these QOL changes would be fairly easy to implement and would drastically increase popularity in the format:
-Seasons that last 4 months
-Rewards at the end of each season for highest rank attained, top XXX in wins in each competitive format (obviously higher rewards for tQ).
-Permanent decay
-Significant rewards for actively playing and winning in the top 500/250/100/50/25 (each tier granting more prestigious rewards).
-Automated daily tournaments with gem or unique rewards.
-Require 100 games to appear on the leaderboard.

Of course I’d love to see new PvP formats *COUGH*HoH*COUGH* but I feel like that would be much more time consuming to implement.

Increase the rewards for actively playing and playing at the top of the ladders and PvP would get a ton more active—in a good way. This would also eliminate LBrank campers who play games once per month to abuse the reversible decay system and it would also incentivize and appropriately reward top players while giving non-top players good reasons to actually improve.

[SoF]

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Some really interesting perspectives here, both from experienced and skilled players, thank you. Lopez, I have to ask, how do you know that the reward tracks were all done by one developer, and class changes were done by top players in a focus group?

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Reevz.2617

Reevz.2617

they didn’t ever listen to like any of the suggestions the top players made whatsoever btw, completely ignored

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

Not that it really bothers me and need the rewards… but the fact that they stated there would be reward tracks released with living story, and they haven’t even bothered to put it in is disturbing. They already have the infrastructure to obviously support that, but apparently there isn’t even enough dev power to get that in. How and why would we honestly have anything but low (I mean mean kittening low) expectations for you guys???? I mean really lol……

Isn’t it just a tad bit embarrassing?? I just picture such a situation in my role at work… that would be very hard to walk into a staff/function meeting and hear certain opinions, and then entertain some kind of response… ouch.

(edited by Kuju.2153)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Is pvp on autopilot? No, because pvp crashed a long time ago.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Hellsing.4590

Hellsing.4590

Skyhammer…. worst f******* map design ever.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it is kinda sad if this is true.

for me gw2 has best fluid combat mechanics when compared against other mmorpgs.

very sad this could not be utilized further.

well at least it is still good casual pvp though.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

This game is 90% PVE living story.

It’s a fact and it’s a very waste of pvp potential.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

and 9.999% wvw

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Frustrated myself at the lack of support and changes to pvp – One of the best combat mechanics out of any MMO I’ve played too – love the kitten out it, however, it just is on a mouse wheel. Turn and turn and no progress.

We do get a carrot every 6 months though! C’mon.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

and 9.999% wvw

Don’t joke around, WvW is much worse off than sPvP (although both are desolate). The last real WvW update we got was ruins/bloodlust last fall, and that was universally loathed. EotM isn’t WvW because it is not World versus World.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Zirith.6429

and 9.999% wvw

Don’t joke around, WvW is much worse off than sPvP (although both are desolate). The last real WvW update we got was ruins/bloodlust last fall, and that was universally loathed. EotM isn’t WvW because it is not World versus World.

I was referring to population distribution

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I remember back before launch, they spoke so highly of the fluid combat and the high hopes of becoming an e-sport. Well, we see how that went….

Anet really need to start listening to the top players and show some presence in the PvP forums. One small update every six months isn’t gonna do it. I don’t really about rewards! I want a balanced game where developers actively discuss new balance options with the community, do small(!!) changes to skills, traits etc and do them often. We need developers that care about the game and want to see it become an e-sport.

We have a brilliant combat system, a good infrastructure, but so many bugs, flaws and game-breaking things like 4v5s, crappy matchmaking and leaderboards to laugh about.

What happened to “we want to see this game become an e-sport”? As for now, a ton of top players and PvP guilds left the game over a year ago. We need something really good to bring them back…

Melder – Thief

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Zedrot.1046

Zedrot.1046

Can we contact to designers of the game or developers by using forum ??
if yes , then i friom perspective of all MMO payers in teh world would like to beg u ….
make a good pvp system , not this….. and game will be the most perfect game in the world .
If there was a PvP system simlar to WoW then it would be PERFECT !!!
WoW will Suck some **** at the side

(Excuse me for my english)
is it that hard?

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

The Problem oft the PvP was that it was bad balanced to begin with, as well as having only one gamemode.
For ppl who came from GW1 this was incredibly shallow.
The next thing ist that in GW2 everything is sparkling flashing etc so that in team fights you have sometimes problems seeing what is going on, especially as spectator, which makes it not nice for an “esport” to watch.

This all resulted in an massive player loss, and now that PvP makes up a very small part of the game less ressources get into PvP. Vicious circle.

Thats at least what I think happened.

#ELEtism

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

and 9.999% wvw

WWW got seasons and special rewards linked to the seasons, not a revolution but something to make a sense to WWW for X weeks. But i agree with you, the main www core is the same since 2 years, only zerg and pvdoors, their attempts to split the zerg with ruins failed a lot.

But Spvp has the same problem (or worst, it’s not really important), the core of the game (gamemode) is always the same, they added 3 maps (only temple is good, the other two, skyhammer in primis, is the devil), a soloqueue (always on conquest and with only few people play this game the matchmaking is horrible) and the same rewards we had before but with a different structure.

There is no incentive to play spvp, no progression, no competition, no sense to play it.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

and 9.999% wvw

WWW got seasons and special rewards linked to the seasons, not a revolution but something to make a sense to WWW for X weeks. But i agree with you, the main www core is the same since 2 years, only zerg and pvdoors, their attempts to split the zerg with ruins failed a lot.

But Spvp has the same problem (or worst, it’s not really important), the core of the game (gamemode) is always the same, they added 3 maps (only temple is good, the other two, skyhammer in primis, is the devil), a soloqueue (always on conquest and with only few people play this game the matchmaking is horrible) and the same rewards we had before but with a different structure.

There is no incentive to play spvp, no progression, no competition, no sense to play it.

The WvW seasons have done more damage than good. They further promote server hopping that ruins WvW on servers that get ditched. Not mention the seasons just show off how flawed their scoring system is that they’ve done absolutely zero about since it was complained about at release. SPvP at least got a decent reward track and gets the streaming update every 2 weeks or so, WvW has only gotten told to not necro threads.

Both WvW and SPvP are in dire straights, no doubt there. These will be lessons for future developers in what not to do. SPvP suffered from being a disjointed different system where players couldn’t really progress their main characters. WvW was an incredibly shallow system that favors numbers/coverage over tactics. Both suffer from the shallow combat system and incredibly poorly balanced classes. The topper is that both combined might receive 5-10% of development time, the rest is LS.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Nope, not on autopilot. Nope, not designed by one designer. I Promise features are coming eventually. I want them finished and as badly as you do!

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Nope, not on autopilot. Nope, not designed by one designer. I Promise features are coming eventually. I want them finished and as badly as you do!

thanks evan for participating in the forums recently!

looking forward to your good news!

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Zirith.6429

confirmation that there are now at least 2 people on the pvp team!

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Wild Throw.9437

Wild Throw.9437

Keyword “eventually”… in Anet terms that is sometime 2 years from now at least…but I hope I’m wrong.

(edited by Wild Throw.9437)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s very close to too late for any more "eventually"s.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I Promise

meaningful capitalisation!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

New game mode please. I definitely saw a new map being made during a dev stream once, I’m postive I didn’t imagine it, right?!

Magumer Ranger

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

It’s very close to too late for any more "eventually"s.

It’s never too late to delete Skyhammer.

Leman

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: jakakettu.9083

jakakettu.9083

Eventually? You mean “Soon”? All of this nonsense has given me a bad image of Anet for me. I used to like this company until I saw how they communicate with the fans about their game. I hope that the new pvp “features” (probably tool tips corrections only) are worth the wait and are coming up in less than four years. How come pve has so much content but pvp does not get really anything? New reward tracks? Could’ve suited nicely for the new living story… nope… nothing new.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

confirmation that there are now at least 2 people on the pvp team!

The PvP is so successful that they doubled the number of PvP designers!!

jk

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

don’t give them credit Evan! we know it’s all YOU! alone in a dark corner trying to make PvP better for all of us!!!

As for the balance team, although I don’t understand most of they’re decisions, I’m sure they what the best for us… i guess…

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

Problems of PvP are the lack of playerbase and lack of incentive to play competitive.

There are no real prizes and while we try to act like we were practising for ToL there is noone to face in ladder. The leaderboard needs to be rewarding so that many people want to be up there very badly to get some competition on daily basis.

And the balancing team is just lost in lack of information due to lack of competition. How on earth should a developer know the ranger meta build when there are only 2 or 3 rangers using it on Eu side. The result is that they are gonna buff power ranger which won´t find a role in any competitive team ever, but let us see if they found an accurate solution to thieves and warriors tomorrow. I really hope they change the mechanics that allow defensive builds to deal too much damage like 1750 offensive stats from 25 might stacks or some specific sigils and fix some broken/op thief mechanics which allows them to be the only zerker class left in the meta.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

(edited by Blackjack.5621)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

Remember, ArenaNet is a business. How much revenue does PvP generate compared to PvE?

You spend your development budget on things that will bring in money.

And if you only PvP, and you quit the game, what have they lost? You just freed up some server capacity.

So I am glad for whatever PvP development they still do.

I wish they would add a subscription for PvP and use that money to take it to the next level. Because there is no other MMO that has this good of a combat system, even now.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

(edited by Silentshoes.1805)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: jakakettu.9083

jakakettu.9083

A business that basically throws nothing to buy for some of their customers (pvp players). They could easily make up something to make PvP more “selling”. Finishers just don’t cut it. They might lose some stress on servers because of pvp players that leave but those are also possible customers – important as any other player on the server. Why are they not catering all of their customers equally? PvP team is lost at what they do – or atleast this is the picture I get of them because of the lack of communication. And with communication I mean actual talk rather than “soon, Eventually, Some day” -talk.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Lukin.4061

Remember, ArenaNet is a business. How much revenue does PvP generate compared to PvE?

And if you only PvP, and you quit the game, what have they lost? You just freed up some server capacity.

I wish they would add a subscription for PvP and use that money to take it to the next level. Because there is no other MMO that has this good of a combat system, even now.

Why would pvp generate any amount of money if they did not invest anything into it? You spend money to make money, quite simple. PvE needs a constant stream of development to keep the customer base, PvP needs only enough supporting infrastructure to keep the customers for years.

And about the subscription for “pvp” – not sure if trolling or…

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

If there were a subscription, then PvPers would be customers who are spending money and who can threaten to stop paying money.

They could justify spending some of the subscription money to keep people paying their subscription.

As it is now, we are not “customers” because they already have all the money we were going to spend.

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

(edited by Silentshoes.1805)

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

No top player asked for more buffs to turret engis. Players asked for that spec to be nerfed and ANET decided to buff it next patch instead.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

So a pause feature for tournaments and a report afk feature… you know, basics if this game wanted to be taken seriously as an esport… are comming… when? On the 2 year anniversary?

Evan your company straight the kitten up lied to it’s fans when it said they were taking PvP seriously and wanted this to be an esport. I preordered based on those lies and trust in a company that made a great esport game.

We’re mad. Not just because they swindled us out of kitten, but because we were really looking forward to a Guild Wars sequel. What we got was… nothing like the origional, and honestly nothing all that good at anything.

If you wanted to be a twitch game you probably should have put in a crosshair, but if that wasnt’ in the cards you could at least make auto attacks minor and larger hits more telegraphed so the dodge mechanic would be played up as more relevant.

These and a lot of other really basic non contentious suggestions have just… been ignored or put off forever.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

Can you explain what would be so difficult about adding a new reward track with Living Story updates? I mean, that is literally what you guys promised when you added the feature.

How are we supposed to believe that PvP isn’t on autopilot when you guys aren’t doing something you said you would do and described as easy?

It’s cute watching you try and hold them to their word. They also promised they were taking PvP seriously, that it would be an esport, that it would be an “AAA PvP experience”. They said build selection was inspired by magic the gathering.

2 years later and we still don’t have stuff like ‘report afk’ or ‘pause match’ features. Hell it took them a year to put in a match making system and a spectating mode.

Nowhere in this entire bucket of crazy have they really listened to their player feedback or made a visible effort to keep their promises.

But you think you’re going to point out that they said…

it’s just cute.

It’s like the girl who says “but he said he wants to leave his wife.”

That’s the level of lied to we’re at here. Anet is not going to invest in PvP, they give no kittens – and even if they did invest in PvP, there’s clearly somebody at the top who thinks he knows it all and doesn’t need player feedback. Who’s deathly affraid of just doing what works for other games because then the world couldn’t see his creative genius expressed.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Actions speak louder than words, and the actionable evidence is pretty obvious.

I agree with what you are saying here.

Personally I feel that pvp is more like a side project for the developers. Ironically, they tend to balance everything around pvp yet its so niche and clearly not the primary focus.

To be realistic, I say expect changes for pvp twice per year and changes for pve twice per month.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Khang.6743

Khang.6743

Not to be a jerk or anything. But, what exactly is taking so long to fix the simple issues?

I can understand taking a long time to develop new map pools, game modes, even balance changes. But, what about the easy things like communication (another player mentioned radio commands), removal of Skyhammer, fixing the SoloQ leaderboards.

You seem like a reasonable person. What would you think??

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Actions speak louder than words, and the actionable evidence is pretty obvious.

That. Nothing more to add.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

Seems to take just as long or even longer than the balance patches. Wonder if the end product will also be half completed just like the game (if you can type that it’s half finished off).

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: leungctm.1362

leungctm.1362

stop trolling us about content is coming, most ppl quit the game alrdy . game is dead. you dont even know cause you dont even play pvp do you ?

Top 50 NA Tpvp Guardian (Rizzylard)
Best Mercenary Guardian you can find to fill your last slot.
Keep Calm and PVP Hard.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Lukin.4061

I think the messages we receive from anet are just black box recordings that are on a loop from pvp crash. For example “soon, soon, soon…. we are working on it, we are working on it, we are working on it… meetings, meetings meetings…”

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Khang.6743

Khang.6743

I think the messages we receive from anet are just black box recordings that are on a loop from pvp crash. For example “soon, soon, soon…. we are working on it, we are working on it, we are working on it… meetings, meetings meetings…”

Its like the response the cellphone companies gives you when you tell them you have a crappy signal.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Its like the response the cellphone companies gives you when you tell them you have a crappy signal.

But.. you would have to call them on their crappy connection to report the bad connection.

(book suggestion, Good read: Catch 22.)

To be honest the one person responding and following the spvp forum is the one person people start criticizing when he responds.

I see familiarities between these two statements and don’t think the one person deserves the heat he catches trying to at least give some info.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

Why bother?

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Devs have been responding to numerous threads lately. I’m really quite impress with their willingness in this community. Granted it’s expected, but their level of feed back and actually listening to us is very appreciated.
I think i’ll continue to buy a gem or two

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Is PvP on autopilot?

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Like if gw2 had great pve no offense but even the pve is lacking content, with a dumbed down system inferior to the holy trinity ending up with a fail pve berserker meta as how currently it is. Their LS doesn’t simply cut it. I know guys who bought this game only for the pvp but they all left after no content was being added. gw2 has better potential as a focused pvp game than a pve one, the potential is there but sadly it is simply in the wrong hands yep ncsoft.