Is burst damage really this bad?

in PvP

Posted by: tOss.9024

tOss.9024

I see a lot of complaints about burst damage lately. However, I haven’t found it to be as troublesome as some have made it out to be. The only thing a class with high burst does, is blow a set of cds and down you. From here, you can be revived by either your teammates cc mitigation+hard revive, or soft ranged revive abilities. Then, the enemy has blown his load, and you can dispatch of him.
So Really, what’s the big deal about burst?

in PvP

Posted by: Aga.8641

Aga.8641

No class, whatever spec, should be able to hit just about anyone with 10k+ in 1 hit. It’s just absurd.

What I find really funny is that ANet went on about how they wanted balance, yet they somehow let stuff like assassin signet + backstab into the game, what kind of useless testing did they do before release?

in PvP

tOss.9024

No class, whatever spec, should be able to hit just about anyone with 10k+ in 1 hit. It’s just absurd.

What I find really funny is that ANet went on about how they wanted balance, yet they somehow let stuff like assassin signet + backstab into the game, what kind of useless testing did they do before release?

Maybe the envisioned people working together? Ie:peeling the thief or using the revive spells given?

in PvP

Posted by: Blazer Hellsing.9184

Blazer Hellsing.9184

@Aga,

If their testing on the Thief were anywhere near serious initiative wouldn’t have gone life. I remember that I said and predicted that initiative will cause problems and make balancing very hard, yet a lot of people said “it would be fine”. During beta when Initiative was at it’s worst me and others made a serious effort in getting arenanet to consider dropping initiative for cooldowns, yet arenanet chose initiative to go life. Their last testing session, which had a voice conversation on reddit had the testers deciding what to change and they didn’t even use arguments, they just talked and some people said “I don’t like that, wouldn’t use that, nah, meh, etc” and thats how they decided what to change lol.

@tOss, burst is not a problem, some type of damage are the problem. Assassin signet giving 10-12k backstabs in 1 sec is a problem. Mesmer phantasms doing 4-5k damage each is a problem. Game still needs balancing, will have to be patient.

Main: Thief
Alts: Warrior, Necromancer, Mesmer, Elementalist (bunker)

in PvP

Posted by: Corebot.2701

Corebot.2701

Maybe the envisioned people working together? Ie:peeling the thief or using the revive spells given?

I can agree with some of this, but pulling a thief to you doesn’t fix the fact that the thief can stealth and reacquire the target, or just stealth and blow you up.

Too much control + too many escapes + powerful cooldowns = frustrating pvp for everyone who is not that class. This is why people are up in arms about mesmers and thieves, they are put together in a better way than other classes.

I sincerely hope they tone DOWN the outliers rather than buffing everyone else up to their levels. I’d hate to see a guardian with a 12k whirling blade or an ele with 10k dragon’s tooth.

in PvP

tOss.9024

I can agree with some of this, but pulling a thief to you doesn’t fix the fact that the thief can stealth and reacquire the target, or just stealth and blow you up.

Too much control + too many escapes + powerful cooldowns = frustrating pvp for everyone who is not that class. This is why people are up in arms about mesmers and thieves, they are put together in a better way than other classes.

I sincerely hope they tone DOWN the outliers rather than buffing everyone else up to their levels. I’d hate to see a guardian with a 12k whirling blade or an ele with 10k dragon’s tooth.

I can agree that those problems are troublesome, I wouldn’t call them OP.(not saying you were either, others do though) You can put pressure on a thief utilizing stealth through AoEs and attacks though. Thieves are given the opportunity to pick and choose fights to some extent, but this Class type And option for them isn’t uncommon in an mmo
Also, I’m not saying that they are perfectly balanced by any means, but I mean to point out the exaggeration that runs rampant through the forums

(edited by tOss.9024)

in PvP

Posted by: shaolin.9716

shaolin.9716

You can’t really blame Anet. The game was fun on launch when people were still experimenting with builds and weren’t yet using the overpowered fotm builds. People will always look for some builds that exploit vulnerabilities in the balance system. When these builds get discovered by players, a balance patch is in order.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

In drops, not in buckets. This game is in great shape already despite people trying to convince you it’s doomed after less than 2 months.

My advice is to try your best to ignore the drama queens and learn to adapt. I main an Engineer now and I have no problem with Thieves, still… as a matter of fact, I used to play Guardian, and now Warriors and Thieves are a little harder, but Necros and Mesmers are a little easier. It really does balance out, but you’ll notice, almost 99% of the people who complain on this board are not posting their builds. There’s a reason for that.

Tweaks are needed, game will constantly improve, all is not doomed. And there are better boards that represent a much smaller community of complainers, so don’t go just by the people on this board, either.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

I see a lot of wildly exaggerated claims flying around about thief damage.. whenever someone actually tests it and gets hard numbers, the damage is like 3x lower than what people claim they get killed by.

in PvP

Posted by: imba.3620

imba.3620

Just came out of a sPvP game with 9 thieves..

Frankly I am at the point where I’m just gonna play something else until they are brought down to earth.. I’ve seen 6k steals, 9k CnDs and 17k backstabs and 7,5k heartseekers.. And yes, I run a pure dps build, but no, that doesn’t make it ok. Even if other dps classes were able to do the same type of damage, which they don’t by a long shot, it wouldn’t be ok. And no, the solution is not that everyone but thieves have to run bunker builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

I don’t see how this argument stacks up. If it was your whole team against one thief, then sure (although peeling doesn’t work in GW2 like it does in WoW you will find), but it’s the thief plus his team against your team. You can work together but so can they.

I personally don’t have a problem with burst damage, but my view is that burst damage should take a large chunk out of your pretty quickly, it shouldn’t take you from full health to dead in just a few seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

People really don’t understand because they don’t play a thief. I played one just to see what it was like. If you want to get those high backstabs, then you got to use cooldowns. Those cooldowns take utility slots and also have hefty cooldown periods. Once they have done their burst, thats it, they are just sitting ducks.

in PvP

Posted by: Parakeet.6083

Parakeet.6083

Did they envision the thief working together with his dagger to hit you for 10-15k? Oh…. so its just other players who have to work together against the thief…. so hes like.. what? A raid boss?

in PvP

Parakeet.6083

I see a lot of wildly exaggerated claims flying around about thief damage.. whenever someone actually tests it and gets hard numbers, the damage is like 3x lower than what people claim they get killed by.

There are plenty of screenshots showing the high end of thief damage at round 15k, and it is average to hit for 10k.

in PvP

Parakeet.6083

Just came out of a sPvP game with 9 thieves..

Frankly I am at the point where I’m just gonna play something else until they are brought down to earth.. I’ve seen 6k steals, 9k CnDs and 17k backstabs and 7,5k heartseekers.. And yes, I run a pure dps build, but no, that doesn’t make it ok. Even if other dps classes were able to do the same type of damage, which they don’t by a long shot, it wouldn’t be ok. And no, the solution is not that everyone but thieves have to run bunker builds.

Even bunker builds don’t really work. If you have 2 coordinated thieves they will crush any bunker.

in PvP

Parakeet.6083

I don’t see how this argument stacks up. If it was your whole team against one thief, then sure (although peeling doesn’t work in GW2 like it does in WoW you will find), but it’s the thief plus his team against your team. You can work together but so can they.

I personally don’t have a problem with burst damage, but my view is that burst damage should take a large chunk out of your pretty quickly, it shouldn’t take you from full health to dead in just a few seconds.

Totally agree, one of the main problems with the thief is being able to do this while invisible for the entire time…… culling bugs MUST be fixed. Imo they are the root of many of these problems.

in PvP

Posted by: Blazer Hellsing.9184

Blazer Hellsing.9184

7.5k Heartseeker? 9k Cloak and Dagger? in sPvP? Right, maybe in WvW but no way in hell in sPvP.

Main: Thief
Alts: Warrior, Necromancer, Mesmer, Elementalist (bunker)

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

Please let go of the whole screenshots thing, they show absolutely nothing of the circumstances. It’s like seeing a picture of a car crash and saying “see, Chevy always get in wrecks”.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

i got backstab dmg of 12 k and basically down within 2 seconds. i didnt mind. next round the thief was on my team. and i let the thief carry me and win matches.

all good.

in PvP

Corebot.2701

Please let go of the whole screenshots thing, they show absolutely nothing of the circumstances. It’s like seeing a picture of a car crash and saying “see, Chevy always get in wrecks”.

“screenshot or it didnt happen”
someone posts screenshot
“this proves nothing, we need context”
someone links video
“for all we know you set this up, this proves nothing.”

No winning

in PvP

shaolin.9716

People really don’t understand because they don’t play a thief. I played one just to see what it was like. If you want to get those high backstabs, then you got to use cooldowns. Those cooldowns take utility slots and also have hefty cooldown periods. Once they have done their burst, thats it, they are just sitting ducks.

They might as well make a big cooldown called “Instant Kill” and say that it’s legitimate by your logic.

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

I’ve never asked for screenshots in this game. What I have asked for is builds, and those aren’t forthcoming. Never once did you see a “I got backstabbed for 14k!” followed up by a “here’s my build” post because none of you are interested in improving your game, you just want what you can’t handle out of the game.

And the reason for it, is because the moment you post your build, the math proves you truth or liar, and the fact that you post your build opens you up to being criticized, and it’s easier to throw stones in glass houses, when nobody knows where your glass house is.

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

Try asking a question rather than posting “x is bad nerf it”.

I’m trying to figure out what’s ironic, you haven’t asked a single question to post knowledge about, and if you do, some of us need FACTS to help, not a random screenshot.

Wrecked chevy says hi.

in PvP

tOss.9024

Sure they can work together, but that still doesn’t mean you can’t revive or peel for your teammate. Also, I realize peeling is different, but the idea remains the same. That is, getting breathing room between you and your opponent.

in PvP

tOss.9024

Did they envision the thief working together with his dagger to hit you for 10-15k? Oh…. so its just other players who have to work together against the thief…. so hes like.. what? A raid boss?

Working together implies that he would also have team mates. So no, by my argument this isn’t necessarily a (1+x)v1 fight. Drawing a conclusion to an argument by implanting something that conveniences your side is a terrible way to have a decent discussion.

in PvP

Posted by: bwookie.3807

bwookie.3807

There are plenty of screenshots showing the high end of thief damage at round 15k, and it is average to hit for 10k.

Higher than 10k is usually due to superior bloodlust sigil which should be nerfed. It just snowballs too quickly.

in PvP

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

Higher than 10k is usually due to superior bloodlust sigil which should be nerfed. It just snowballs too quickly.

Uh superior bloodlust is 250 power tops which at 80 in dps gear is about a 10% damage boost. Making you pretty clearly wrong.

in PvP

Corebot.2701

I call shenanigans here, 250 power is not the root cause of a thief and their huge numbers.

in PvP

Posted by: bwookie.3807

bwookie.3807

10% damage on 10-12k backstabs, 5k steals, 5k cloak and dagger. You do the math. 10% is a significant boost. Then you can get another 10% from runes of scholar. 5% from Sigil of Force.

How else do you explain 15k backstabs from backstab that does 2k base?

(edited by bwookie.3807)

in PvP

Posted by: Merciless.5349

Merciless.5349

To quote the OP, “The only thing a class with high burst does, is blow a set of cds and down you. From here, you can be revived by either your teammates cc mitigation+hard revive, or soft ranged revive abilities. Then, the enemy has blown his load, and you can dispatch of him.”

I’m confused by this logic. So, I should expect to get downed and I should be playing butt buddies during the whole match, where there are 3 points to capture, and only 5 of us?

in PvP

Posted by: Djinn.7213

Djinn.7213

Burst builds on most classes are fine, a couple of classes need to be looked at but that’s just a matter of fixing some numbers on the damage coefficients.

The problem of sPvP at this point are:
- Cap mechanism
- Bunker builds
- Evasion and survival builds
- Downed state unbalancing in alot of classes and the cause/effect on player skill

in PvP

Posted by: Djinn.7213

Djinn.7213

To quote the OP, “The only thing a class with high burst does, is blow a set of cds and down you. From here, you can be revived by either your teammates cc mitigation+hard revive, or soft ranged revive abilities. Then, the enemy has blown his load, and you can dispatch of him.”

I’m confused by this logic. So, I should expect to get downed and I should be playing butt buddies during the whole match, where there are 3 points to capture, and only 5 of us?

Most burst builds (again, most, there’s a couple of classes that will be looked at), are extremely easy to avoid and most classes also have on demand skills that completely negate the damage (yes, even backstab and shatter builds).

One versus one against burst builds you just need to outplay your opponent in order to win the fight.

Now, against bunker builds and evasion builds, you can still outplay your opponent, but it either will take to long to make a difference or the adversary will move away before you can cap the point and return at full health to restart.

in PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The problem with burst damage in my opinion is quickness, and stealth when it comes to the Thief. When you level up in PvE, the game teaches you to watch out for animations that gives signs to you, that your enemy is about to hit you hard. But as soon as you start playing PvP, quickness and stealth totally ruins this lesson, and dodging burst damage becomes more about luck, then skill. I think quickness speed should be reduced to only be 50% faster (instead of 100%) when it comes to attacking, and that the Thief ‘stealth skills’ should be reduced in damage.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in PvP

tOss.9024

This is simply in the situation that the burst built character succeeds in his goal and you fail. I’m simply observing it from the worst case scenario, since that is the way everyone here seems to look at balance.
And yes, when there are 3 points to capture, 5 of you, and you only need 2 to win. That leaves plenty of room for bringing a partner.

in PvP

Posted by: barti.7685

barti.7685

in all honesty if you play a burst spec with no vit or toughness you cant really complain about thiefs damage because obviously you are trying to do the same thing to them..

its hypocrisy to its fullest.

if you think its so easy change class

in PvP

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

Better hope the guy you’re bringing that partner to fight doesn’t also have a partner though, because then you’re back where you started!

Potaters!

in PvP

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

in all honesty if you play a burst spec with no vit or toughness you cant really complain about thiefs damage because obviously you are trying to do the same thing to them..

Yet when a Thief plays like that, its fine. Because thanks to instant-gapclosers and stealth he will always get the first strike and win. And even in toughness and vitality you still eat a ton of damage.

“you need toughness!”
“got that”
“…and vitality!”
“check”
“trait defensively”
“uhuh”
“go full bunker!”
“yah that worked”
“NERF BUNKERS!”

And we already see a ton of people changing classes. Have a look in any starter level zone, or in sPvP. There is a disproportional amount of fresh Thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: Iron Wolf.5973

Iron Wolf.5973

I dont get the complaint. Im not hardcore sPvP or tPvP but I play enough. And Ive never once been bursted down in 1 second. I play a thief mind you, and I survive well enough. I dont get 17k crits on me that one shot. Im not saying it doesnt happen, but its not happened in my personal play experiance. I dont think Im just that lucky.

Also just to make the note, the backstab build is not one I personally play because I dunno, it doesnt seem fun to have to wait on steal, signet, and might procs to kill 1 guy. Especially if its a team fight situation. Kill one guy and then wait 30+ seconds to kill another. :< Maybe I just misunderstand the build.

in PvP

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

If you’re fighting a 3v3 at a point and you roll in and drop one of those 3 opponents in a matter of seconds, your side just gained a 50% advantage. That you maybe have to peel back and trickshot from afar is irrelevant. You cut their damage output by 1/3 (or possibly much more if you pick your target properly).

That all your damage is frontloaded is irrelevant at that point. You’ve given your guys the advantage they needed to swing things your way (assuming you’re not playing with terrible team mates).

Potaters!

in PvP

tOss.9024

Better hope the guy you’re bringing that partner to fight doesn’t also have a partner though, because then you’re back where you started!

How exactly is this true? I don’t even…

in PvP

tOss.9024

If you’re fighting a 3v3 at a point and you roll in and drop one of those 3 opponents in a matter of seconds, your side just gained a 50% advantage. That you maybe have to peel back and trickshot from afar is irrelevant. You cut their damage output by 1/3 (or possibly much more if you pick your target properly).

That all your damage is frontloaded is irrelevant at that point. You’ve given your guys the advantage they needed to swing things your way (assuming you’re not playing with terrible team mates).

Then your teammate uses a pushback/stun/imo/ etc, and revives or casts a revive. And the thief/warrior/etcis countered and effectively useless for a good amount of time. And a lose of 1 out of 3 people wouldn’t be a 50% advantage.

in PvP

Posted by: Asmodean.5820

Asmodean.5820

Yeah, the necro power build blows people up in no time. I mean there are everywhere threads about how this build should be nerfed to the ground.

Oh wait…

Nope, actually if you want descent direct damage as a necro, which comes nowhere the thief dps, it’s one of the builds. And yes, you are more or less of a glass cannon. Nevertheless the “you try the same to them” argument is, especially in this case, ridiculous at best

Oh, and as was already said by an abover poster: why do you complain about tank specs when people are just fed-up to get blown up in seconds from out of nowhere – especially thanks to the crappy rendering of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

Still not a single shred of hard evidence. And don’t play the childish “there is no winning, we posted tons of screenshots and videos”. Interesting considering if we take a look back at all the screenshots posted;
Poster claiming killed in 1 second by backstab. Death window shows multiple backstabs and other abilities, which also clearly takes 5s minimum. Also screenshots do not show time… I know it is hard to grasp.. but you can’t prove how quickly you were killed with a screenshot.

Similar poster making same claim.
Shows a video of a thief in wvwvw with all orb buffs and food buff, dispatching enemies in a couple seconds (AFTER he gets into melee range). I shouldn’t need to explain why this makes said poster look dumb (Key hint: wvwvw).

Another poster claims their Warrior in sPVP who is built with semi tank stats, was backstabbed by a thief for 15k damage. Posts a screenshot of their damage log. Ironically on their bar is Frenzy and it is on cooldown. Younglings and trolls only see “15k”, then each go off into their little temper tantrum each making a thread in multiple sections ranting on how they “Personally” witnessed a thief doing 15k damage. Suddenly it becomes a game of telephone. You get other younglings and trolls replying to the threads claiming they also “Personally” witnessed the same and that it was done to them in less then a second and the thief was perma stealth. With the amount of ex-WoW players, this of course becomes an epidemic.

If I can kill my enemy and get away, I am doing my job
If I can annoy and frustrate my enemy, I am doing my job very well
If my enemy is uninitiated, unskilled and unwilling to adapt, my job is now easy.
I am a Thief
Welcome to Guild Wars 2 Ladies and Gentlemen

in PvP

Asmodean.5820

Still not a single shred of hard evidence. And don’t play the childish “there is no winning, we posted tons of screenshots and videos”. Interesting considering if we take a look back at all the screenshots posted;
Poster claiming killed in 1 second by backstab. Death window shows multiple backstabs and other abilities, which also clearly takes 5s minimum. Also screenshots do not show time… I know it is hard to grasp.. but you can’t prove how quickly you were killed with a screenshot.

Shows a video of a thief in wvwvw with all orb buffs and food buff, dispatching enemies in a couple seconds (AFTER he gets into melee range). I shouldn’t need to explain why this makes said poster look dumb (Key hint: wvwvw).

Another poster claims their Warrior in sPVP who is built with semi tank stats, was backstabbed by a thief for 15k damage. Posts a screenshot of their damage log. Ironically on their bar is Frenzy and it is on cooldown. Younglings and trolls only see “15k”, then each go off into their little temper tantrum each making a thread in multiple sections ranting on how they “Personally” witnessed a thief doing 15k damage. Suddenly it becomes a game of telephone. You get other younglings and trolls replying to the threads claiming they also “Personally” witnessed the same and that it was done to them in less then a second and the thief was perma stealth. With the amount of ex-WoW players, this of course becomes an epidemic.

If my enemy is uninitiated, unskilled and unwilling to adapt, my job is now easy.
I am a Thief

Ah sorry, ít is all your skill and there is no out-of-whack backstab skill.

Ok, let’s put sarcasm aside for a moment. You know, all the tantrum you throw here to defend thieves is so easily blown to pieces by everyone who bothers:
make a thief. Use the backstab build. Go to the target dummies and compare numbers with other classes specced into a power build. The difference is glaring obvious.

Oh, and before you even bother: save us the “we are glasscannons” crap and use stealth properly.

in PvP

Knyx.5926

I am a Thief

Ah sorry, ít is all your skill and there is no out-of-whack backstab skill.

You know, all the tantrum you throw here to defend thieves is so easily blown to pieces by everyone who bothers:
make a thief. Use the backstab build. Go to the target dummies and compare numbers you get with other classes in a power build. The difference is glaring obvious.

Oh, and before you even bother: save us the “we are glasscannons” crap and use stealth properly.

I post explaining how there is no solid evidence.

You reply claiming solid evidence is not needed because people can “supposedly” do so by making a thief.

Ignorance is bliss I guess

in PvP

Asmodean.5820

I am just saying that you don’t need only combat data from spvp. Everyone can roll a thief and have a look at the numers by himself when he goes to the testing range, then do the same with another class’ power build (try a necro).

However, I see why you don’t likt it. Oh wait, it is no real data because you don’t like it (besides the regular backstab bursts everybody can experience in spvp games by himself anyway). Good logic. Honestly, your effort to defend this build is getting comical.

Sorry, you are getting carried by a broken mechanic. I know for some it is hard to accept but…hey…life goes on /pat, pat, pat

in PvP

Knyx.5926

I am just saying that you don’t need only combat data from spvp. Everyone can roll a thief and have a look at the numers by himself when he goes to the testing range, then do the same with another class’ power build (try a necro).

However, I see why you don’t likt it. Oh wait, it is no real data because you don’t like it (besides the regular backstab bursts everybody can experience in spvp games by himself anyway). Good logic. Honestly, your effort to defend this build is getting comical.

Sorry, you are getting carried by a broken mechanic. I know for some it is hard to accept but…hey…life goes on /pat, pat, pat

And the Ignorance continues. If it was so easy everyone could just make a thief, that would imply it would be just as easy to show ACTUAL EVIDENCE.

in PvP

shaolin.9716

False. Other professions’ burst attacks are visible and can be countered with reactive mitigation. Imagine if a warrior could stealth and dump hundred blade on anyone from stealth. That’s the equivalent of what thief is right now.

There’s already an overpopulation of thieves, so please don’t advise more people into the FOTM builds, it’s bad enough for the game as it is.

in PvP

tOss.9024

Well, a power necro is inherently tougher, has more health, has area control or condition control(depending on build). #
So apples and oranges really.

in PvP

Posted by: Ixal.7924

Ixal.7924

And the Ignorance continues. If it was so easy everyone could just make a thief, that would imply it would be just as easy to show ACTUAL EVIDENCE.

As you ignore all ACTUAL EVIDENCE which already exists on the forum why bother? When someone posts whatever you want them to you will just demand something different or make up a claim why it is not valid.