Is critical damage reduced in PvP??

in PvP

Posted by: Fistandanthilus.6824

Fistandanthilus.6824

Q:

Hello, I just wanted to ask if the critical damage was also reduced in PvP. I thought they (AreaNet) announced it would be reduced only in PvE and WvW, because they (ArenaNet) consider it was good how it was in PvP.

I main a thief with 10(III)/30(VI,X,XII)/0/0/30(V,VII,XII), dagger/pistol, with berseker amulet and jewel (now the jewel is included in the amulet), Lyssa runes and sigils: accuracy and fire.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vYAQNAoaVlsMp7plOxyJ8PNhs9oC1Jiy7BZNWmlWBaC-TsAg0CnIKSVkrITRyisFNIY9x0CA

After this patch came, I made my pvp build exactly the same as before the patch and went to mess around a bit with the Training Golems in the Mist.
I have exactly the same attributes as before patch. Same power, same defence, same life.

And found out that my critical Backstabs were much lower than before. I did on light armour Golems same amount as before patch I did on heavy armour Golems.
That is, before patch on heavy armour: 4,5k damage; now on light armour: 4,5k damage.
Before patch on light armour I used to do 6-6,5k damage. Of course now on heavy armour I do like 2,5-3k damage.

So my question is: Do Ferocity damage reduction changes also affect in PvP??

Because I don’t find this Information in the patch notes.

Thank you very much.

in PvP

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

A:

There were areas adjusted such as the trait lines which now provide 300 ferocity from maxing a trait line. At level 80, 300 ferocity is 20% critical damage instead of the old 30%. These obviously affect PvP reducing critical damage along with some adjustments on skills and traits.

To counter-act this we increased the ferocity that is provided on the PvP stat combinations more so then just converting it over to the new stat. You should generally end up with around the same amount of critical damage as before. There will be some slight variance though.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Traitlines that grant crit damage, are nerfed by this too, it’s 20% crit damage versus 30% so yes the nerf is a little in pvp too.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Traitlines that grant crit damage, are nerfed by this too, it’s 20% crit damage versus 30% so yes the nerf is a little in pvp too.

But but pvp was supposed to stay the same

lol

in PvP

Posted by: ramorambo.6701

ramorambo.6701

maybe its a bug even if i wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I also noticed it was reduced as well, no wonder why warriors seem stronger now. Although their healing signet was reduced by 8%, critical damage was reduced by at least 10%…

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

I have the same fears: before the patch my dps guardian with zerk amulet + 30 in Valor + Runes of Divinity had a 62% enhanced critical damage and now with the exact traits and gear the table shows only 50% enhanced critical damage.

Did they lied about? ANet said that the PvP was balanced and the Ferocity change would not affect PvP due the game mode has it own internal balances since the release of the game.

I must add than even If the critical dmg is now nerfed in PvP I will not change a bit my dps Guardian, no matters how uncompetitive and useless He ends. Bunkers are just plain boring, I did burn that bridge months ago and ther’s no turning back for me.

in PvP

Fistandanthilus.6824

mmmmm so it seems I am not the only one experiencing this issue….

It would be very nice if someone from ArenaNet could clarify this for us, maybe it is intended to be like this, or maybe not and it is a bug.

Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

If they changed the crit damage to +Ferocity, it’s probably not a bug, more like an oversight or just an adjustment they wanted to make. Honestly, though 10% crit damage shouldn’t be making or breaking anyone… That’s like… 2% damage difference. If that? (depends on crit chance)

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

If they changed the crit damage to +Ferocity, it’s probably not a bug, more like an oversight or just an adjustment they wanted to make. Honestly, though 10% crit damage shouldn’t be making or breaking anyone… That’s like… 2% damage difference. If that? (depends on crit chance)

It breaks the sword guardian build a lot because we have high crit rate on sword auto attack. I hit for far less damage than I did pre patch.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Is the trait:
20% crit damage
Or is it:
300 Ferocity (equating to 20%)?
That may be a good place to start in determining if its a bug versus oversight. 20% crit over 30 points wouldn’t really make much sense, where as 300 ferocity would sound more like an unfortunate side-effect. (speaking in hypotheticals because I don’t run zerker)

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The trait line will now give 50 ferocity per point, with a maximum of 300 ferocity. That equates to 20% crit damage.

The berserker amulet now has 447 ferocity, which is 30% crit damage. If you had a berserker amulet and jewel pre-patch, you only got 20% crit damage from that.

If you had runes with critical damage as a sole set bonus, such as Scholar, they now have ferocity and slightly lower crit damage. If you had Divinity, you lost a lot of critical damage.

So your crit damage in sPvP should have stayed about the same or possibly even gone up slightly unless you were using a lot of Divinity runes.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Fistandanthilus.6824

The point is that I am not losing 2% damage only. I am losing 25% of my damage.

I was hitting on light armoured targets ~6000 before patch and now ~4500.

I was hitting on heavy armoured targets ~4500 before patch and now ~3300.

For me this is an issue. And I would like to know whether this is intended or not.

Thank you.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

The point is that I am not losing 2% damage only. I am losing 25% of my damage.

I was hitting on light armoured targets ~6000 before patch and now ~4500.

I was hitting on heavy armoured targets ~4500 before patch and now ~3300.

For me this is an issue. And I would like to know whether this is intended or not.

Thank you.

Okay, I was only commenting on the traits. Trait wise, 10% isn’t going to cause a 25% damage nerf. Something else is up with you.

As for the trait itself. Since it was changed to Ferocity, it sounds like it’s just a bad side-effect of the stat change. If I remember correctly, in pvp each stat point for ferocity is supposed to be worth more to keep it balanced with old numbers. I’m not sure if that went through. That sounds like the cause of the issue. If you’veost 25% of your crit’s max damage, sounds like a general ferocity problem, not just an issue with the trait stat.

Like I said. That was supposed to be compensated for though, so that may be a bug. Report it and see what happens.

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The crit nerf was needed,the dmg some classes could do was just too much at times,espec on thieves.Fights last a bit longer now,im really liking it eventhough ive been hit with the nerf bat aswell,no complaints here at all since you can pretty much still compensate for the lost dmg.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Ele can still 100-0 people in like a second lol… I honestly haven’t felt a “huge” swing…

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

The crit nerf was needed,the dmg some classes could do was just too much at times,espec on thieves.Fights last a bit longer now,im really liking it eventhough ive been hit with the nerf bat aswell,no complaints here at all since you can pretty much still compensate for the lost dmg.

I extremely disagree. In PvP the physical damage was nerfed since the early days in the game, and with the huge buffs to condition builds since the summer some classes had really hard time dealing with others wich can stack vitality + thoughness + condition and just being able to killing you with their auto attacks with minimal effort if a decent player is behind the character. The new nerf makes burst physical damage almost useless.

An I must ad: some classes, as Guardians, doesn’t have any viable condition build to fill the current condition meta. A nerf in the PvE critical damage is a thing, a new one in PvP just destroys my main character.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

IF the damage for physical is in fact lower, good. Instead of rebuffing it to fit conditions, I’d rather them nerf conditions and also bring down bunker sustain a bit so the overall TTK goes up a tad bit but “tanky builds” lose some sustain and can actually die.

Kinda sick of the whole Invincible circle-Gladiator versus 100-0 in 2 seconds burst (confies or power, either) builds. Spam instagib and everlasting bunkers are both boring as hell, there’s no real fight, just a struggle to see who gets the best burst off first and who can evade around on a circle the best.

More real “combat” would be a nice change in pace honestly…

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

There were areas adjusted such as the trait lines which now provide 300 ferocity from maxing a trait line. At level 80, 300 ferocity is 20% critical damage instead of the old 30%. These obviously affect PvP reducing critical damage along with some adjustments on skills and traits.

To counter-act this we increased the ferocity that is provided on the PvP stat combinations more so then just converting it over to the new stat. You should generally end up with around the same amount of critical damage as before. There will be some slight variance though.

“Slight variance” lol. Yeah we can do math. It isn’t slight (Just like when you said that “10%” nerf to zerk builds when you really meant 33% nerf in traits + nerfed everywhere else for about a 70-80% nerf overall for some builds). Thanks for increasing the condi meta in pvp/wvw and increasing the absolute need for zerk in pve.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

(edited by eleshazar.6902)

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Crit damage only really changed for PvE/WvW. In PvP, you should have about the same amount unless you were using Divinity runes.

@OP can you try again? That pet bug may have been affecting the training dummies.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz