Is there a place for ranged charater in spvp at all?

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

It seems to me as the way the maps are it is next to impossible to play a ranged character and be effective. Pretty much everyone play melee bunker except for thieves. I see a few rangers try to snipe ppl from top of ledges, but really there are so many ways to get out of los I don’t see how that can work well.

in PvP

Posted by: Im Too Godlike.5629

Im Too Godlike.5629

Shortbow rangers with traps are one of the best classes in the game even at melee range.. There’s plenty of things you can do from range and ill list a few just to show you… Elementalist with staff/scepter, ranger with short and longbow, thief shortbow, warrior rifle, engineer, necromancer scepter, guardian with scepter, mesmer with whatever. All of which can be effective with the right trait setup…

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

Shortbow rangers with traps are one of the best classes in the game even at melee range.. There’s plenty of things you can do from range and ill list a few just to show you… Elementalist with staff/scepter, ranger with short and longbow, thief shortbow, warrior rifle, engineer, necromancer scepter, guardian with scepter, mesmer with whatever. All of which can be effective with the right trait setup…

You might as well just said there are ppl who play ranged characters. I have always played ranged dps in all games, the ranged dps need 3 things. 1 . los, in all the maps there are just too many ways to get out of los. 2 room to kite, there are very few spots on the maps you can kite and in a game where you need to hold pt to win kite just loses the game for you. 3 there need to be a direction of battle and clear front line. There is no direction of battle on any of the maps. ppl can come at you from all angles at anytime so there are no ‘safe’ space for you to back into . Also there are no clear line of battle rather fights happen in a clump.

I play a S/D Ele, I am ranged but only in a way to let me stay out of melee range of ppl. I don’t play at all like a ranged dps in wow or war or daoc. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing maybe the classic ranged dps can’t work in a esport . I’m posing this question because it seems to me if you want to spvp you can’t do it from range.

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

This is only somewhat on topic to the thread : being able to move an aoe as if it were a channeled aoe that would let you move it while channelling and roots you while channelling could be fun and different, but could only be done with certain things.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

my mesmer GS/mantra sniper build is extremely effective in spvp (hoping to take it into tourneys). the build provides reliable sustainted and burst dps from 1200, in addition to having excellent survivability. stealth is way OP…something my ranger can only dream about.

ironically, the ranger is probably the worst ranged prof because you cant disappear to reset the fight, like the thief, ele or mesmer. rangers without lots of toughness and signets are basically instagibbed in tpvp. rangers lack reliable control, dps and burst from 1200, but are quite effective in skirmishing range (600-900).

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Posted by: Fellknight.4820

Fellknight.4820

It seems to me as the way the maps are it is next to impossible to play a ranged character and be effective. Pretty much everyone play melee bunker except for thieves. I see a few rangers try to snipe ppl from top of ledges, but really there are so many ways to get out of los I don’t see how that can work well.

There are only bunker’s and thieves, going anything but bunker to the max means dying in under 3 seconds to thieves.

Anet wants there game to have two roles dps thief and tank nothing else and they seem either too stupid or too blind to do anything about it but they have a new event coming up while pvp and pve in this game are garbage.

Thats like building a deck on burning a house

(edited by Fellknight.4820)

in PvP

Posted by: Zyrusticae.7245

Zyrusticae.7245

There are only bunker’s and thieves, going anything but bunker to the max means dying in under 3 seconds to thieves.

Anet wants there game to have two roles dps thief and tank nothing else and they seem either too stupid or too blind to do anything about it but they have a new event coming up while pvp and pve in this game are garbage.

That is a perfect analogy.

Now, I can only hope AN proves you wrong by implementing some dramatic changes in the next balance patch…

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Why do so many people who obviously hate a game spend so much time on forums of the game they hate so much?

And by the way, to the OP… ranged are the best way to take out bunkers. Don’t tell anybody, because they wouldn’t believe you anyway.

Seriously… as limited in use as a condition ranger is, they are arguably the best spec to take out a single bunker guardian or engineer, I can’t speak for bunker Ele or Necro, but I know, despite all the complaints on this forum, a good condition ranger is probably the fight I hate the most on any profession I play, because I typically play short-ranged or melee classes.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Stin.9781

Stin.9781

Go play paid touraments mate ur blabing nonsense, If other team rolls 2+ thiefs they are allready lost before battle started.

Former Devils Inside Thief R43