Mesmer sPVP Build needed for a newbie girl

in PvP

Posted by: Vylker.9286

Vylker.9286

Greetings,

I need to find a good sPVP build for a Mesmer, with Greatsword, many many clone spawning, dmg and good survivability, for a newbie player, my girlfriend.

If anyone could share any good build with the above characteristics please post here!

Thank you in advance!

in PvP

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Take a look here tPvP Build List

And here MetaBattle Wiki

Have fun:)

in PvP

Vylker.9286

Thank you Allanon, Metabbatle offers nice builds

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

try helseths double ranged shatter build. together with portal play, it’s pretty much perfect for any noob, since you can play it from bottom tier to top tier

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Double_Ranged_Shatter

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Vee Wee does not recommend metabattle! The builds are largely incorrect and the moderators have very little knowledge about PvP! The proof is the usage section in the meta mesmer build! It’s blank because they have no idea how to play it!

If you want a guide from a real Mesmer, check out Supcutie’s Comprehensive Shatter Guide! He is one of the best Mesmers in the world and wrote a really nice guide detailing literally everything about shatter Mesmer!

http://bit.ly/mesmerguidebackup10

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Don’t listen to ArrDee’s lies and have fun playing mesmer ^^ Double Ranged Shatter’s page on metabattle btw was checked by Helseth himself.

And I love how you are speaking about “buildS” just because you did not agree with a single sigil.

in PvP

tanztante.6532

The proof is the usage section in the meta mesmer build! It’s blank because they have no idea how to play it!

i lol’d!

the logic, it’s flawless!!

although i have to agree with the guide you posted. he is indeed one of the best mesmers around and the guide is very well done

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

The proof is the usage section in the meta mesmer build! It’s blank because they have no idea how to play it!

i lol’d!

the logic, it’s flawless!!

although i have to agree with the guide you posted. he is indeed one of the best mesmers around and the guide is very well done

The reason behind having a blank usage page is that Helseth said a while ago that he will make a mesmer video (promised before all-star vote) – likely he did not have enough free time or will to make it yet, but basically we are waiting for that one – why would we work twice. But it’s a community project, anyone can help out.

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Hi Vylker,

Actually, I don’t recommend trying shatter for newer players, unless they are fast at picking up new games and becoming very good at them in a short amount of time. The reason I say this is because I consider shatter mesmer to be one of the harder specs in the game to play at an efficient level. It can be pretty unforgiving against condition builds especially, and brings high burst but the type of burst that can be difficult to set up for inexperienced players.

In my opinion, a better place for your girlfriend to start would be a phantasm spec. It brings moderate to high sustained damage, but is less demanding on a newer player, and has more ways to deal with condition damage. Check this link: http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Ng-FR;0VPk-1y6cV-71;9;49JEO-2;019-3;034;2LBW4I;1jzyvjzyv5Y

One good reason to start with this spec is because you can be reasonably effective before you fully understand how and when to use the shatter abilities (F1-F4). You could even never use any of them and do ok in the phantasm build. The first one for her to get used to is F4, Distortion. She can use that while stomping, ressing, or as a last resort defensive move. After that, she should try using F1, Mind Wrack, to burst down an enemy when they get really low (you don’t want to use it for any other purpose, since it will destroy your phantasms, which is your main damage source in this spec). F3, Diversion, is only really used to stop a stomp or res in this build, and F2, Cry of Frustration is almost never used. Compared to shatter, where you use all 4 shatters on a regular basis, the build is much easier to manage when you’re still getting used to the game’s fast-paced combat system.

Welcome to GW2 PvP, I think your girlfriend will really enjoy this spec (mine did). If and when she feels super comfortable playing it, you might want to introduce her to the shatter spec and see what she thinks.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

(edited by cymerdown.4103)

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

DPS Shatter (The usual 20 20 0 0 30) is the only viable build in pvp but believe me (From someone who used to main mesmer when it was still viable as a close point defender), don’t even try it if she’s (As you said) a newbie…it’s really hard to stay alive if you’re very good already (Cause thief really hardcounters mesmer and if they have a thief he’s gonna be on you 24/7)

She can try engi, war, celestial ele, guardian, s/d thief…almost everything, but if i were her i would stay away from shatter mesmer…and running PU or crap like that even if it’s braindead to play it’s totally worthless in pvp so you’re not gonna help your team anyway….and would end up being flamed by her teamates (For obvious reasons)

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

tanztante.6532

Hi Vylker,

Actually, I don’t recommend trying shatter for newer players, unless they are fast at picking up new games and becoming very good at them in a short amount of time. The reason I say this is because I consider shatter mesmer to be one of the harder specs in the game to play at an efficient level. It can be pretty unforgiving against condition builds especially, and brings high burst but the type of burst that can be difficult to set up for inexperienced players.

In my opinion, a better place for your girlfriend to start would be a phantasm spec. It brings moderate to high sustained damage, but is less demanding on a newer player, and has more ways to deal with condition damage. Check this link: http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Ng-FR;0VPk-1y6cV-71;9;49JEO-2;019-3;034;2LBW4I;1jzyvjzyv5Y

One good reason to start with this spec is because you can be reasonably effective before you fully understand how and when to use the shatter abilities (F1-F4). You could even never use any of them and do ok in the phantasm build. The first one for her to get used to is F4, Distortion. She can use that while stomping, ressing, or as a last resort defensive move. After that, she should try using F1, Mind Wrack, to burst down an enemy when they get really low (you don’t want to use it for any other purpose, since it will destroy your phantasms, which is your main damage source in this spec). F3, Diversion, is only really used to stop a stomp or res in this build, and F2, Cry of Frustration is almost never used. Compared to shatter, where you use all 4 shatters on a regular basis, the build is much easier to manage when you’re still getting used to the game’s fast-paced combat system.

Welcome to GW2 PvP, I think your girlfriend will really enjoy this spec (mine did). If and when she feels super comfortable playing it, you might want to introduce her to the shatter spec and see what she thinks.

i do agree that the double ranged shatter, as played like helseth, takes a kittenload of practice and is probably a bit frustrating, if you are completely new to the game. but after playing 20+ hrs in singleplayer with a mesmer, i managed to pull off the classic shatter build (s/p-GS) to be enough for pvp levels 0 – 25. after reaching that goal without quitting, she’ll be proficient enough for any build.

the thing with phantasm builds, in my opinion, is: if you run across 1 single skilled player with any!!! profession, you are toast and can’t do anything about it, so it’s better to start with a demanding build with room up top, than a build that will stop working as soon as you encounter a ten year old bashing his/her face into the keyboard.

another thing that is very important:
if you yourself are high ranked (but i guess you are not, you wouldn’t have to ask this question otherwise) and want to play with your gf, she will encounter opponents with a similar mmr as the highest skilled player in your team. this can be very frustrating. either get an alt account, let yourself drop significantly!!! in the lederborsd or don’t play with her at all.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.8034

Loki.8034

Depends how familiar is your GF in playing Mesmer. The class takes sometime to get used to. I would not recommend the shatter build if shes VERY new to mesmer. Let her try PU mesmer, good survivability and decent damage. However she may get some heat from Spvp players but just tell them shes new at mesmer.

in PvP

tanztante.6532

@loki, there are 2 basic mistakes in this post:
1: never tell an spvp player you’re new at anything. you’ll get reported for not being pro
2: don’t get me started on PU mesmer in general but, as we are talking about a PvP oriented build, PU mesmer is simply the wrong suggestion. it’s exactly as unviable as any other permastealth build, since you can’t cap a node, you can’t contest a node and you can’t keep a node and you are useless in teamfights.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Vylker.9286

Many thanks to all of you!