Mesmers in group fights...not OP

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

It seems that when I play my mesmer in large group hotjoin fights, there is always somebody who spots me and locks on, soon to be joined by another…and I do NOT last long in my thin armor.

Mesmers may be tough 1v1, but I think in a group they have their weaknesses exposed.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: TrustyTurkey.1653

TrustyTurkey.1653

Mesmers are used almost entirely for their utility (IE: Portal, Illusion of life, Time Warp, etc,) so saying something like “Mesmers aren’t OP in team-fights” is fairly redundant. You’re doing something wrong if you can’t survive long enough to support your team and keep an eye on the point with a portal on it. Teams tend to focus the mesmer though, so use your invulnerabilities in compensation for your squishiness. Your decisions might also be an issue (like joining a team fight where you’re completely out-numbered).

Also here’s your other problem:

It seems that when I play my mesmer in large group hotjoin fights

large group hotjoin fights

hotjoin

Excogitate

(edited by TrustyTurkey.1653)

in PvP

Posted by: SAtaarcoeny.8476

SAtaarcoeny.8476

mesmers are better in team fights then in 1v1. you just have to be very slippery.

in 1v1 they are not tough. they are just able to last a bit before they die if they get lucky with all there distortion coll downs.

URTFC.COM

BIG GW2 TOURNAMENT INC SPONSORED BY URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

TBH I am sick of the whole OP/UP discussion… It depends on YOUR build… Usually when I go into hot joins I don’t bring time warp or IoL or Portal… I bring stuff that I would use in 1vx fights because I know that in HOT JOINS team work is pretty much irrelevant… There is no communication and it is usually just a big zerg fight somewhere completely off a point… Every class has a build that people would say is so OP it needs nerfed yesterday… But that is when you know a game is balanced EVERY class has something that they bring to the table that makes them better for certain things… D/d ele’s can bunker their kitten off Mesmers/Warriors/Necros/Engi’s can instantly revive someone that is down. But they can also build to not do that and bring tons of DPS. In group fights in HotJoins you are going to go down fast because nearly everyone does… It doesn’t matter how hard you try to bunker in hot joins there is always going to be more players than you in some situations… If you look through the threads the amount of people saying X is OP has kind of evened out there was even a Necro is OP thread awhile back… SO there we have it.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Of course, in “forum PvP” you have to always expect the reply: “It’s just you…I am better than you and so I don’t ever have that problem”.

But it did take about 60 views before it showed up.

Believe me, I teleport and I clone and I confuse. But with a huge number of opponents, somebody standing by is going to notice you and be in the right place at the right time to drop you. Eight pairs of eyes are more observant than one.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Actually satercomny. Mesmers are good at fighting power dps. warriors/thiefs. 1on1. But they can really struggle vs alot of other things. And they go kinda evenish vs alot of things like engies. But newer players, ie the ones you run into in hotjoin just get totally confused and owned by mesmers.

in PvP

Posted by: Visionary.5681

Visionary.5681

If your a Mesmer, the first player who spots you, is going to mark you. This is even in hotjoin, since its helpful for the player who marked you. The fact that its helpful for the other people on the team or that it just gets you focused on, is merely a by product of that.

People in hotjoin see the mark and nuke you. This is all. It stands out because ordinarily, no coordination occurs.

in PvP

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

mesmers are better in team fights then in 1v1. you just have to be very slippery.

in 1v1 they are not tough. they are just able to last a bit before they die if they get lucky with all there distortion coll downs.

You’ve obviously never played against (or as) a good mesmer. Ele and mesmer dominate 1v1 scenarios and sometimes thieves.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

daydream.2938

You’ve obviously never played against (or as) a good mesmer. Ele and mesmer dominate 1v1 scenarios and sometimes thieves.

Not to be akitten rider , but sat is a good mesmer, probalby one of the better ones on Na. he has several hundred Qp from the old leaderboards.
so hes played against all of the top players.

in PvP

wookie.8934

Not to be akitten rider , but sat is a good mesmer, probalby one of the better ones on Na. he has several hundred Qp from the old leaderboards.

That may be the case, but it doesn’t diminish the fact that he’s flat out wrong. They may be better in team fights, but they’re certainly not as bad as he claims in 1v1.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

daydream.2938

Hmm ya satarcomny does whine about them. mesmers are niether bad , nor good at 1on1. The way they typically spec in the meta they are still middle of the pack.
They can be great at 1on1, but they arent because they carry alot of utility for gruop fights like illusion of life.

in PvP

wookie.8934

Hmm ya satarcomny does whine about them. mesmers are niether bad , nor good at 1on1. The way they typically spec in the meta they are still middle of the pack.
They can be great at 1on1, but they arent because they carry alot of utility for gruop fights like illusion of life.

Exactly, it depends entirely on whether your specced for 1v1 or not. If properly specced, they can be very good at 1v1.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

Actually satercomny. Mesmers are good at fighting power dps. warriors/thiefs. 1on1. But they can really struggle vs alot of other things. And they go kinda evenish vs alot of things like engies. But newer players, ie the ones you run into in hotjoin just get totally confused and owned by mesmers.

Yeah we do beat warriors and 60% of the time can beat thiefs but they are the 2 worst classes in the game https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/SAtaarcoeny-s-balance-view/first

URTFC.COM

in PvP

SAtaarcoeny.8476

That may be the case, but it doesn’t diminish the fact that he’s flat out wrong. They may be better in team fights, but they’re certainly not as bad as he claims in 1v1.

i guess it most be me thats wrong because everyone says mesmer is op. one day i will figure out why noone plays them in the competitive seen.

URTFC.COM

in PvP

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

It seems that when I play my mesmer in large group hotjoin fights, there is always somebody who spots me and locks on, soon to be joined by another…and I do NOT last long in my thin armor.

Mesmers may be tough 1v1, but I think in a group they have their weaknesses exposed.

TIMEWARP – seriously like seriously you can just use this 1 skill then die and you contributed a ton

NULL FIELD – another AMAZING skill that helps tons – bunkers melt and anyone using conditions on the other team starts crying.

PHANTASMAL DEFENDER – 50% YES FIFTY percent damage mitigation to anyone 600 unites from it with traits and the signet its has like 20k hp.

to a lesser extent you have iBerserker aoe dmg and cripple / choas storm / feedback / portals etc….

You are just playing it wrong. Just slap timewarp and null field on your bar and you cant really kitten up teamfights.

in PvP

Posted by: Empiren.6401

Empiren.6401

Yeah Timewarp and null field can pretty much destroy a given area. Not to mention the staff 5

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

confusion shatter spammer is awesome for group fights.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

perhaps you are being unlucky.

my mesmer thrives in group fights.

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Mesmers are good in 1v1s in that they can prolong a fight long enough to get support if not outright win the 1v1. They have many tools to mitigate or otherwise evade burst. But where a mesmer really shines is in group fights. They have so much group utility while having a myriad of abilities to drop target and slip out of the fight for a moment (which is all you typically need in a group fight to evade focus). Not to mention many of their builds have great AoE damage and conditions.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

jportell.2197

Mesmers are good in 1v1s in that they can prolong a fight long enough to get support if not outright win the 1v1. They have many tools to mitigate or otherwise evade burst. But where a mesmer really shines is in group fights. They have so much group utility while having a myriad of abilities to drop target and slip out of the fight for a moment (which is all you typically need in a group fight to evade focus). Not to mention many of their builds have great AoE damage and conditions.

You mean our amazing 30/30/30/30/30 build with 6 extra utility slots and 4 different weapon sets.? If we are going for group utility then that’s all we got… TW/Portal/IOL so that leaves one slot to drop target every 30+ seconds… Wow… soooo spammable… People really have no clue what they are talking about when saying we rule in this AND in that… we can’t do it all guys… Not if we are really speccing for full on groups… We can either be amazing 1v1 with good burst (even guardians can do that) or we can be really good in group support with some group condi cleanse (long C/D) fast travel (even longer C/D) or quick res in hope someone else gets killed in 15 seconds (EVEN LONGER C/D)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

You mean our amazing 30/30/30/30/30 build with 6 extra utility slots and 4 different weapon sets.? If we are going for group utility then that’s all we got… TW/Portal/IOL so that leaves one slot to drop target every 30+ seconds… Wow… soooo spammable… People really have no clue what they are talking about when saying we rule in this AND in that… we can’t do it all guys… Not if we are really speccing for full on groups… We can either be amazing 1v1 with good burst (even guardians can do that) or we can be really good in group support with some group condi cleanse (long C/D) fast travel (even longer C/D) or quick res in hope someone else gets killed in 15 seconds (EVEN LONGER C/D)

shhh dont tell them about our secret 30-30-30-30-30 build! anet will find out and nerf it.

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Well, that’s only on your personal experience, an average mesmer will spawn illusionary berserker and wipe half the other team

and now after update, with GS #1 and scepter #3 uncalled boost, mesmer will determine the outcome of every single fight

in PvP

jportell.2197

Well, that’s only on your personal experience, an average mesmer will spawn illusionary berserker and wipe half the other team

and now after update, with GS #1 and scepter #3 uncalled boost, mesmer will determine the outcome of every single fight

Dude IZerker is missing 3 out of its 4 attacks… It sucks right now. Anet bugged it and they have no clue how to fix it…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Dude IZerker is missing 3 out of its 4 attacks… It sucks right now. Anet bugged it and they have no clue how to fix it…

I just tried it, it does miss sometimes but not 3 out 4, maybe i should play it a little longer and see

also, there was some mesmer on tourneys yesterday whom kept hitting me for 7k’s with iserker

in PvP

jportell.2197

I just tried it, it does miss sometimes but not 3 out 4, maybe i should play it a little longer and see

also, there was some mesmer on tourneys yesterday whom kept hitting me for 7k’s with iserker

The pathing on it is extremely random its not behaving like it should for sure. And yes when i test it with full zerker gear on Golems it is not behaving properly at all.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Mesmers are sick in coordinated team fights.
Seriously, a guardian root on a mesmer spike, and/or a focus pull into time warp aoe with their whole team unloading every piece of aoe meow they got literally makes you implode without an okitten skill and a superb reaction time.
Talk about broken. My poor necro melted along with all of her DS to one of such spikes (pulled right back in after rolling out of TW range, sob), just to be finished off by random ranged damage while trying to escape on 500 hp.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

wookie.8934

Seriously, a guardian root on a mesmer spike, and/or a focus pull into time warp aoe with their whole team unloading every piece of aoe meow they got literally makes you implode without an okitten skill and a superb reaction time.
Talk about broken. My poor necro melted along with all of her DS to one of such spikes (pulled right back in after rolling out of TW range, sob), just to be finished off by random ranged damage while trying to escape on 500 hp.

Well aside from necros being relatively buggy as is, they temporal curtain is relatively easy to avoid. Might I ask where your teammates where?

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Into the plague! blind them all till death.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Well aside from necros being relatively buggy as is, they temporal curtain is relatively easy to avoid. Might I ask where your teammates where?

I think one died before me, while I somehow managed to survive by the skin of my teeth thanks to DS. The thing is, I couldnt even see the focus pull animation, because it was burried under 3 people along with their pets, all additionally covered by the TW animation, so yea…………….

It was obviously a pug vs premade group scenario, but still…sick meow @@

At Empathetic, yea I forgot about my ‘godmode’ oshiat skill. Doh.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

How to fight a mesmer as a necro:
1, Target the real one
2, Keep an eye on his character potrait at the top of the screen
3, When you see the illusionary leap symbol (a small foot) then dodge to avoid it.
4, If he dazes you with pistol or pulls you with focus then instantly pop into DS and fear him then repeat step 3
5, Gradually load him with conditions and try and dodge through his illusions when shatter is coming
6, If he uses the chaos storm then wait till near the end of it then corrupt his boons

Result = a dead mesmer. It is hard ofc because 1 error = death. But you should win alot of the time vs a mesmer doing this. And illusionary lea kitten o buggy that sometimes the stupid thing immobalises you even when you dodge it.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Because a mesmer has no condition remove it’s just too easy to get him as a necro. Freekill. Same goes for BM ranger.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Because a mesmer has no condition remove it’s just too easy to get him as a necro. Freekill. Same goes for BM ranger.

Yeh but the same is true for a mesmer. A necro has no way to get out of immobalise or stuns because we are forced to not run stun breakers really. A ranger obviously will beat a mesmer with being able to get out of immobalise anyway and because their ai pet helps them.

I find mesmer 50:50 on my condi necro. I would rank hardest to easiest classes to 1v1 (although a necro should never 1v1 if he is running res sig/epidemic/staff/etc because it is weak):
Hardest: BM ranger
Ele
Thief
Mesmer
Warrior
Guardian
Easiest: Engi

in PvP

Posted by: Jonathan.1580

Jonathan.1580

troll OP, mesmers are over powered. you admit great 1 vs 1 and since you sound bad Im a guess that dont take laot of skill.. in group fights? theyre gods. so.. great 1 vs 1.. great in grps.. crazy skills like portal insane CC and debuffs.. yeah troll more

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Yeh but the same is true for a mesmer. A necro has no way to get out of immobalise or stuns because we are forced to not run stun breakers really. A ranger obviously will beat a mesmer with being able to get out of immobalise anyway and because their ai pet helps them.

I find mesmer 50:50 on my condi necro. I would rank hardest to easiest classes to 1v1 (although a necro should never 1v1 if he is running res sig/epidemic/staff/etc because it is weak):
Ele
Thief
Mesmer
Warrior
Guardian

Seems legit. Actually as you described you know how to handle the class. So for all necros who know mesmer-mechanics as you do, it’s a freekill. (Saw this in lots of duells)

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Lordrosicky.5813

Ele
Thief
Mesmer
Warrior
Guardian

Seems legit. Actually as you described you know how to handle the class. So for all necros who know mesmer-mechanics as you do, it’s a freekill. (Saw this in lots of duells)

But sometimes you know what you need to do but they have a plan too and they get you

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

How to fight a mesmer as a necro:
1, Target the real one
2, Keep an eye on his character potrait at the top of the screen
3, When you see the illusionary leap symbol (a small foot) then dodge to avoid it.
4, If he dazes you with pistol or pulls you with focus then instantly pop into DS and fear him then repeat step 3
5, Gradually load him with conditions and try and dodge through his illusions when shatter is coming
6, If he uses the chaos storm then wait till near the end of it then corrupt his boons

Result = a dead mesmer. It is hard ofc because 1 error = death. But you should win alot of the time vs a mesmer doing this. And illusionary lea kitten o buggy that sometimes the stupid thing immobalises you even when you dodge it.

I don’t think you got my point, but thanks for that info, genius.
rolleyes