No ladder, no MM = people leaving the game

in PvP

Posted by: CLundkvist.7814

CLundkvist.7814

I agree that if GW2 had something similar to ranked queues in LoL, it would be much more popular. Unfortunately, I fear the catch that comes with this idea, which is that people will become ignorant and hateful much like 95% of the LoL community.

I would like ladder more then a friendly community, atleast i can enjoy the game with my friends and those i play with.

Knight Wm
Far Shiverpeaks

in PvP

Posted by: Gintoki.6405

Gintoki.6405

agree 100% have enjoyed spvp alot and even tourneys in the early days when my clan bothered doing them, now im just fighting randoms on random lvls, 2 of which are lame, on the same mode over and over, would like to see some capture the flag, or straight team death match, would knock people off bunker builds and make it more fun..

also yeah rankings.. thats something this game 100% needs atm its like how many points you got!! yay i got lvl 36!! that means i played more than you !! wooooo. we need rankings based on win rate (not that relyable but its a start) kill:death ratio, average points per game, average kills/revives you know… meaningful stats, stats where u can see your improvement.. instead of the “totals” which are meaningless in isolation.. id also like to see what my different stats are for each profession i play. at the moment gw2 spvp doesnt seem serious it just seems like pvp kiddy mode.. i go at least 1/2 my spvp matches about 15-0 i.e facerolling the enemys and not dying once.. (unless my team are getting handed it) this isnt because im some guild wars god.. its just that im better then most the guys who have barely any spvp experience. who seem to be everywhere.

Aurora glade [FURY] clan. Zetsu (zetsudai, zetsu mei, Zetsu Rounin)

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Drakoz.4702

Lord Drakoz.4702

“We dont see any perspective in the tPvP right now, without ladder, custom tournaments and observer mode, there is nothing that makes other succesfull PvP games good.. (You might say, there is QP ladder, but that is only for few chosen ones, we liked in GW1, that we were more like part of PvP community with ladder, started playing somewhere around rank 300 and we made it to TOP100, that was our achievment, coz we were never been able to finish in TOP10..) but here, those guilds like us have no goal to play for.. " I cant disagreed with this comment, give us more and keep the community updated as much as you can please – thank you!

Beyond5 [GW2 Team Mngr]
http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthegameplay

in PvP

Posted by: Zaily.4056

Zaily.4056

Seems I started a big thread here..
I just wanted devs to know, that there is still lot of people who love the game, but every day we don’t hear any info like – “the things You want for e-sport are comming soon guys”, people are loosing hope and with lost hope for competitive PvP, they don’t have many reasons to play the game.. My friends just tell me how bored they are from the stomp or be stomped kind of tournaments…
We need to play against equally skilled enemies, We would love to rent a private server to host some tourney on it within our fansite, we would love to see observer implemented to see the top guilds in action (and to recognize who the top guilds currently are, we need the ladder). With the ladder comes the sense of progression for every team and that itself is a huge part of any game.. Please just think about it. We really like the combat and PvP style of Your game, but we need things that help us enjoy playing with these great systems..

(edited by Zaily.4056)

in PvP

Lord Drakoz.4702

Seems I started a big thread here..
I just wanted devs to know, that there is still lot of people who love the game, but every day we don’t hear any info like – “the things You want for e-sport are comming soon guys”, people are loosing hope and with lost hope for competitive PvP, they don’t have many reasons to play the game.. My friends just tell me how bored they are from the stomp or be stomped kind of tournaments…
We need to play against equal enemies, We would love to rent a private server to host some tourney on it within our fansite, we would love to see observer implemented to see the top guilds in action (and to recognize who the top guilds currently are, we need the ladder). With the ladder comes the sense of progression for every team and that itself is a huge part of any game.. Please just think about it. We really like the combat and PvP style of Your game, but we need things that help us enjoy playing with these great systems..

Well said and I will second this as well – we would like to support GW2 for an eSports run, wasn’t that the ultimate plan for ANET???

Beyond5 [GW2 Team Mngr]

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

The problem is they know ladders scare people away, Rythgar above so eloquently put it that ladders are great because they give players a sense of progress. But he doesn’t realize the double edged-sword. Only around HALF the players progress in a ladder. In reality with quits its maybe 80%, but you lose that 20% over time. Then the new bottom 20% starts getting annoyed and falling out.

Saving grace is technically there’s PvE and 2 other types of PvP (WvW and Scenario/Battlegrounds which will probably come). But all three forms of PvP in this game are pretty mediocre and I think the idea of focusing on some fantasy of e-sport-iness will mean complete death. Then again, the whole idea of e-sports is just crazy BS so you never know what somebody can pull off…

This is wrong. Most ladders out there is organized so that people doesn’t have to de-progress (for lack of a better word) for others to progress..

To take SC2 as an example: There is more than one gold league, so people can still progress into a gold league without someone else having to fall down to silver league.
The only exception is the highest leagues (grand master and master). Those leagues have a set number of players on them, and only one league (one for EU, one for NA etc).
What this means (not counting the very top end) is that you can always progress forward. At some point you will of course get to the point where you are meeting people at your own skill level, but what happens then is that you will get good and even matches, where you learn and get better (aka progress) and will most likely keep climbing, although perhaps quite a bit slower.

There is a few pages out there explaining the whole coding/mechanism of certain MM systems out there on the internet. I would research them a bit or give it all a thought before I make a “this wont work” reply.

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

Well said and I will second this as well – we would like to support GW2 for an eSports run, wasn’t that the ultimate plan for ANET???

Want to support GW2 for e-sports? Then I would recommend that you go to MLG’s forums and vote for GW2 to be picked up by them.
While our game is far from ready for any kind of e-sports yet, I truly hope it will be getting there. As has been stated over and over in the forums: a game doesn’t become an e-sports over night, not even over a release. The biggest e-sport games out there took quite some time into getting into the e-sports scene, and have been there for long as well.

That being said, here is a link to the MLG forums, go vote for GW2 MLG e-sports!
http://feedback.majorleaguegaming.com/forums/116515-pro-circuit-feedback-forum/suggestions/3037147-guild-wars-2

in PvP

Posted by: CLundkvist.7814

CLundkvist.7814

Want to support GW2 for e-sports? Then I would recommend that you go to MLG’s forums and vote for GW2 to be picked up by them.
While our game is far from ready for any kind of e-sports yet, I truly hope it will be getting there. As has been stated over and over in the forums: a game doesn’t become an e-sports over night, not even over a release. The biggest e-sport games out there took quite some time into getting into the e-sports scene, and have been there for long as well.

That being said, here is a link to the MLG forums, go vote for GW2 MLG e-sports!
http://feedback.majorleaguegaming.com/forums/116515-pro-circuit-feedback-forum/suggestions/3037147-guild-wars-2

I dont approve this game being an e-sport atm, ladder is needed before. I wont lie to MLG

Knight Wm
Far Shiverpeaks

in PvP

Lord Drakoz.4702

The problem is they know ladders scare people away, Rythgar above so eloquently put it that ladders are great because they give players a sense of progress. But he doesn’t realize the double edged-sword. Only around HALF the players progress in a ladder. In reality with quits its maybe 80%, but you lose that 20% over time. Then the new bottom 20% starts getting annoyed and falling out.

Saving grace is technically there’s PvE and 2 other types of PvP (WvW and Scenario/Battlegrounds which will probably come). But all three forms of PvP in this game are pretty mediocre and I think the idea of focusing on some fantasy of e-sport-iness will mean complete death. Then again, the whole idea of e-sports is just crazy BS so you never know what somebody can pull off…

This is wrong. Most ladders out there is organized so that people doesn’t have to de-progress (for lack of a better word) for others to progress..

To take SC2 as an example: There is more than one gold league, so people can still progress into a gold league without someone else having to fall down to silver league.
The only exception is the highest leagues (grand master and master). Those leagues have a set number of players on them, and only one league (one for EU, one for NA etc).
What this means (not counting the very top end) is that you can always progress forward. At some point you will of course get to the point where you are meeting people at your own skill level, but what happens then is that you will get good and even matches, where you learn and get better (aka progress) and will most likely keep climbing, although perhaps quite a bit slower.

There is a few pages out there explaining the whole coding/mechanism of certain MM systems out there on the internet. I would research them a bit or give it all a thought before I make a “this wont work” reply.

Excellent point and I would like to add that ANET has mentioned multiple times that they want to take GW2 sPvP toward eSports …..

Beyond5 [GW2 Team Mngr]

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

I dont approve this game being an e-sport atm, ladder is needed before. I wont lie to MLG

If you actually had checked the suggestion you could have saved yourself a reply there. But I guess it was too much work

It clearly states that this would be when the game is ready for e-sports. And it is one among many other games that has been suggested. If we don’t get some people to show their interest in GW2 now, they will just go for other games.

The process of picking up a game for a e-sports league is quite longer, harder and more complicated than to go “hm, this game seems interesting, lets pick this.”.

in PvP

Rythgar.2896

Ranking/Ladder system, Spectator mode.

This, yes.

The rest? Not needed from launch. I would rather keep the game balanced and manageable ahead of having a few more maps or game modes. To be honest, the conquest mode is by far the funniest (imo) game mode out there. I have never seen the “awesome” in having a big team fight decide the game, or a single point of interest (capture the flag or whatever) to build your tactics around.