Oki doki new game mode - dev confirmed false

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

“It does state in the press release there will be a new game mode. We don’t yet know what, though! " – PersistantWorld

Other than that check reddit to see upcoming PvP update in early December.

in PvP

Posted by: Erwin.5603

Erwin.5603

I think they mean unrated soloq. Pls don’t be disappointed bruv.

Fixi

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

Don’t get too much hyped bro.

They use the word “game mode” but they are talking about unranked queue.

They use the word “season” but they really mean “period where we test stuff”

They are really good at missleading people by choosing certain words

in PvP

Zuik.7158

I think they mean unrated soloq. Pls don’t be disappointed bruv.

Yeah don’t worry, my expectations aren’t too high. I just look forwards to seeing what game mode they add whether or not I play it.

Speculation is fun!

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

That was poor wording in the press release, there is no “new game mode” in the traditional sense we’d think of (new map/ new rules) being released in this update, though our competitive team continues to work on new game mode options as we speak. As with all things, they’ll give details on this when it’s far enough along we’re able to talk about it.

The reference to “mode” is talking about how players will be organized in PvP games, details later this week.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Lets hope the new game mode is not a new skin to the HOTM where you can explore newly skinned shrubberies…

in PvP

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

That was poor wording in the press release, there is no “new game mode” in the traditional sense we’d think of (new map/ new rules) being released in this update, though our competitive team continues to work on new game mode options as we speak. As with all things, they’ll give details on this when it’s far enough along we’re able to talk about it.

The reference to “mode” is talking about how players will be organized in PvP games, details later this week.

That is… incredibly disappointing.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Colin why do you play me like this.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

Previous

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I wonder how this restructuring will affect reward track progressions. Hopefully that will be in of the additional blogs.

It would be nice if the 25% cap was limited to hot joins only and unrated was opened up similarly to rated (reward track progression wise). Sometimes people just want to ‘play’ and not necessarily ‘compete’ as the article says; however, that’s no reason to limit their rewards.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

It might fall short of what many are expecting but I for one am looking for to the improvements, thank you.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Zuik.7158

Those are some pretty nice sounding changes IMO. Shame on you for releasing them during my exams.

in PvP

Marcos.3690

We waited for almost a year to get solo arena and now it’s merged into team arena one more time? And we should be excited about that?

The problem with pvp in this game is that every new addition removes something that was done before.

Game launched and we waited for paid tournaments to get released.
After some months they made paid tournaments 1 round.
Later they completely removed paid tournaments.
Free tournaments were also removed.

Then they removed glory and added another reward system (that is no better).

Another patch removed jewels, underwater combat, raid of the capricorn and underwater weapons.

And now solo arena is being merged with team arena one more time.

They keep working on features that will disappear, and meanwhile the pvp lacks basic features. The irony: they will remove everything but skyhammer.

Btw: give some titles as season rewards. They are easy to design and way cooler than some random gear.

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

We waited for almost a year to get solo arena and now it’s merged into team arena one more time? And we should be excited about that?

The problem with pvp in this game is that every new addition removes something that was done before.

Game launched and we waited for paid tournaments to get released.
After some months they made paid tournaments 1 round.
Later they completely removed paid tournaments.
Free tournaments were also removed.

Then they removed glory and added another reward system (that is no better).

Another patch removed jewels, underwater combat, raid of the capricorn and underwater weapons.

And now solo arena is being merged with team arena one more time.

They keep working on features that will disappear, and meanwhile the pvp lacks basic features. The irony: they will remove everything but skyhammer.

Btw: give some titles as season rewards. They are easy to design and way cooler than some random gear.

The way I interpreted it is Solo Arena isnt being removed. It’s being merged. If the system works as it’s being described there, it will try to match you with solo players before it forces you to play with groups of 2, 3, etc. The same goes for team groups.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

in PvP

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Still disappointing, because conquest scenario is getting old. We need actual different game scenarios like CTF , Fort Aspenwood siege mode, GvG (you know with a super tough guild lord you gotta kill inside someone’s base for the win like in GW1. WvW does not cut it)

How about making a dota style game mode? Waves of creeps in lanes fighting each other , automatic towers that strike and obliterate players if they try to dive?

Do you realize how crazy awesome it would be to create a dota style scenario for GW2? Forget about the gold resource and shop, and you have something easy to start with.

in PvP

Marcos.3690

This update is coming the same day as wow’s new pvp season

hmmmm

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

The way I interpreted it is Solo Arena isnt being removed. It’s being merged. If the system works as it’s being described there, it will try to match you with solo players before it forces you to play with groups of 2, 3, etc. The same goes for team groups.

In the top 100 SoloQ you are often forced to wait 8+minutes at the prime time, and even then, you get teammates outside of the Top 1000. So with the new system in place, instead of getting low ranked SoloQ players, I’ll be forced to play against full teams… not sure I like the change. We’ll see :/

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Marcos.3690

In the top 100 SoloQ you are often forced to wait 8+minutes at the prime time, and even then, you get teammates outside of the Top 1000. So with the new system in place, instead of getting low ranked SoloQ players, I’ll be forced to play against full teams… not sure I like the change. We’ll see :/

Well if the system works you’ll have:

top solo palyers vs average premade teams.

This could be interesting actually

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

would LOVE ctf mode.

tired of node zergs in domination

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

These are all good changes, but I think a lot of us have been most looking forward to a new game mode. It was a lot of people’s #1 priority in the CDI that was run last year, and we’ve been waiting a lot time for it.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

These are all good changes, but I think a lot of us have been most looking forward to a new game mode. It was a lot of people’s #1 priority in the CDI that was run last year, and we’ve been waiting a lot time for it.

As Colin said, a new game mode is something the team is working towards. However, it’s not ready at this time. These other changes are ready, and we’d like to get them out to you on December 2. A new game mode is a serious undertaking that requires a lot of time and work.

in PvP

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I think a big issue here is that the very press-release TenTonHammer quoted outright stated:

Other big changes coming with the update include new PvP modes that encourage practice skirmishes, such as an unranked “Practice” mode where players can hot-join to quickly sharpen their skills.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m really hyped you’re working on it, I was just hoping it’d be more highly prioritised, because I think core gameplay elements should be in place before competitive features like ladders and seasons (important as they are) are established.

I’m also very concerned about how a new game mode would even fit into the competitive infrastructure. Say you’re introducing team deathmatch: will it have its own separate leaderboards and a separate join queue, or will TDM maps be put in the same rotation as the Conquest maps and its wins or losses affect the same leaderboard? Or would it be completely unranked and only available in custom arenas? And if you’re joining TDM from a queue like you currently join team arenas, how will you be grouped? Will the TDM queue use the same MMR as Conquest, even though a player might play only bunker guardian or decap engi or something else completely unsuitable for deathmatch in Conquest, and therefore their MMR is completely unrepresentative?

I realise you’re probably not ready to answer these questions, because you haven’t even finished working on whatever new game mode you’re working on, but that’s exactly my point: it would be a lot easier for you guys to figure these things out if the game was feature-complete in terms of game modes BEFORE the competitive features were put in place! It would help you a lot if you already knew which game mode was most popular, how many players played in each mode, whether players who play Conquest also play the new game mode interchangeably, or if most players prefer one to the other strongly and spend most of their time in only one of the two. That would let you know whether you need new leaderboards, whether to have separate ladders and seasons for each mode, etc. A lot of the work you’ve put into these features coming up in December will have to be redone if a new game mode is released and proves to be popular!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

As Colin said, a new game mode is something the team is working towards. However, it’s not ready at this time. These other changes are ready, and we’d like to get them out to you on December 2. A new game mode is a serious undertaking that requires a lot of time and work.

I hope you guys will be able to share rough ETAs on these sorts of things in the future — because we’ve been hearing “When it’s ready™” for a while now, and are tired of getting our hopes up and dashed with each patch. It makes players bitter, and is bad for business, yanno?

Glad you’re at least allowed to say that you’re working on something, it’s a step in the right direction.

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

You have been working a new sPvP game mode for atleast 14 months. 14 months. What the heck are you doing?

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

This update is coming the same day as wow’s new pvp season

hmmmm

wow pvp in game season ftw lol :P

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

They are working on lord rush type of game mode with new map.

google is your friend.

in PvP

Posted by: Exile.8160

Exile.8160

Kinda late tbh I went from playing pvp every single day for hours to playing twice every 2 weeks and decreasing as time goes by, I guess I got tired of waiting on something that’s just not coming. Conquest got stale and boring after the first years if not sooner and its been like what 2yr and half. I have faced the reality that Pvp is not that high of a priority to anet( not saying your not trying to make pvp better) and that it will provably wont be until it’s too late. I am sorry but I guess I lost faith in GW2, I’ll still play it(from time to time) but not with the passion that I once had for it.

Sorry for my English it’s my second language.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

The most exciting piece of information I see here is that with the consolidation of ranked play Skyhammer and Spirit Watch should be going away when I queue solo.

in PvP

Marcos.3690

The most exciting piece of information I see here is that with the consolidation of ranked play Skyhammer and Spirit Watch should be going away when I queue solo.

Instead of admiting that skyhammer and spirit watch were bad maps, they used time and resources to create a tool to skip them.

in PvP

Posted by: exii.8913

exii.8913

Hey there!
Could you tell us please whats the basic difference between ranked and non-ranked queues?
I personally would prefer not to destroy my tpvp stats anymore when I just want to play with a friend. But tbh I fear that non-ranked will turn into a troll-queue for fun builds with teams who arent really interessted in serious gaming.
Is there any other difference? How about the rank points you gain?

Also I dont like the idea of a map voting system. A lot of games which had similar features became extremly boring just because only 1-2 maps were played over and over and over and over and [..]. Well, okay this game dont really have much maps nvm D;

Will quit when the addon appears. Wont pay for turrets, cele amulet and shoutbow meta trash.

(edited by exii.8913)

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

a lot of this stuff in the blog sounds too little too late.

Also, you say “a new game mode is a huge undertaking”. Well smaller companies are throwing out new game modes willy nilly, take smite and its many game modes its thrown out. Are you saying your team is so small that it cannot create a new game mode despite saying “your working on it” for almost 2 years?

Hit games get made in that amount of time……the guys who made counter strike did it in a year. 2 guys. Just saying.

You have been beating this dead horse for awhile, the reason your game isn’t popular and the reason no one takes e-sports seriously, is because the game itself is not fun….you need a new game mode, the current one is boring.

Untill you target the real issue…your going to be in the same spot. Seriously this is what it feels like watching you guys try to fix pvp.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

So in the last updates, they removed the underwater map. Now they are killing solo queue. If they dont add some crazy good rewards people are gonna move to the other game modes like wvw and pve. We need more game modes and more options not less maps and less modes.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Lets hope the new game mode is not a new skin to the HOTM where you can explore newly skinned shrubberies…

Naaaah man, lets hope that it involves using the sun, lightning, wind spirits. Go fight in middle grab an orb and play it CTF style (capture the flag). SLAM DUNK that orb in that basket!!!

What people don’t understand is that there was a CTF style pvp system in GW2, was during one of the living story events, was widely successful, more people played that than they did conquest style pvp during the living story hype.

Seeee guys, pvp doesn’t have to be all about having your skills, it can be about using skills that makes everyone equal, like the sun, lightning, wind spirits pvp system (successful).

All you guys whining about one class too op and another too lame, sun, lightning, wind spirits pvp puts everyone on same level, no more whining about balance.

My favorite new pvp gamemode, not too recent anymore was sanctum sprint!

What you guys don’t realize is they make new gamemodes all the time… Now now, don’t say the PvE developers make those modes, of course the PvP developers are being used up to make such awesome pvp game modes!

I’d really like more sanctum sprint style modes. Kinda reminds me of Mario Kart 64, I was champ at that game!

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I actually remember when activities used to give Glory/PvP rank points. That was a fun little bug. XD

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I actually remember when activities used to give Glory/PvP rank points. That was a fun little bug. XD

aye, in my opinion, those activities are PvP oriented, and by right, should reward PvP rank points accordingly, since glory is removed.

and yes, uberkingkong is correct.
we do get new pvp game modes during festive seasons.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Hey there!
Could you tell us please whats the basic difference between ranked and non-ranked queues?
I personally would prefer not to destroy my tpvp stats anymore when I just want to play with a friend. But tbh I fear that non-ranked will turn into a troll-queue for fun builds with teams who arent really interessted in serious gaming.
Is there any other difference? How about the rank points you gain?

Also I dont like the idea of a map voting system. A lot of games which had similar features became extremly boring just because only 1-2 maps were played over and over and over and over and [..]. Well, okay this game dont really have much maps nvm D;

In other words … you want to be cool on a game mode where everybody must be serious.
I fear you gonna be disapointed.

in PvP

Posted by: Fraelin.7409

Fraelin.7409

As Colin said, a new game mode is something the team is working towards. However, it’s not ready at this time.

Am I the only one who has noticed that >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6pVBl7zUs <<< this happened exactly 1 year ago? Yet they’re still talking like they were back then!!! “Yeah we’re working on it.” “Its gonna be amazing. Just wait!!” “Its coming I swear” “Its not ready at this time, soon tho! soon…” Maybe a new Game Mode next year boiz!

After spending more than 1 year developing that perfect map/game mode, you guys better make sure that its the best kittening game mode ever as honestly, that would be the only thing that would give this perfectionist approach from the Anet developers any credibility, rather than obvious slacking

Frae

[CM]Cheese Mode Fraelina

in PvP

Posted by: risenlord.2035

risenlord.2035

every time we ask about new games modes the response is “it’s being worked on”. Same response for years now. Is one guy doing all the coding on a apple II, while everyone else sips margheritas?

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

every time we ask about new games modes the response is “it’s being worked on”. Same response for years now. Is one guy doing all the coding on a apple II, while everyone else sips margheritas?

Or maybe, just maybe, it takes a large amount of time to actually make something that works within the game and that is balanced and doesn’t give one side an advantage?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Or maybe, just maybe, it takes a large amount of time to actually make something that works within the game and that is balanced and doesn’t give one side an advantage?

That and budgeting. All honesty, they can take all the time they need if it means things will be balanced and fun in these new game types. Gw2 is still one of the balanced games I’ve come across pvp wise.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I came to check out the new PvP changes because i heard of them on another site, but wow, this is really disappointing to read. I didn’t SPvP much, but when i did, it was tolerable to a point, but knowing that there won’t be a new game mode/type, it’s just very disappointing.

It’s been over 2 years (not counting pre-release development years either), and there is still excuses that it takes time. No, sorry, that’s not the real issue. It’s because the Living Story has taken all the time and resources, and the game has suffered drastically because of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

“they” are working on a new game mode for over a year now. I can’t wait to see the outcome of all this time to put a single map… It must be mind blowing!!! …. Or not…

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

“they” are working on a new game mode for over a year now. I can’t wait to see the outcome of all this time to put a single map… It must be mind blowing!!! …. Or not…

How do you know it will only be one map?

You also have to keep in mind that it takes loads of time to get something that works in the game while also making sure it is completely balanced for both/all sides and around all profession and possible skill combinations and so on.

It is a rather large undertaking, not just putting out a map and changing some rules.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

How do you know it will only be one map?

You also have to keep in mind that it takes loads of time to get something that works in the game while also making sure it is completely balanced for both/all sides and around all profession and possible skill combinations and so on.

It is a rather large undertaking, not just putting out a map and changing some rules.

Sure! Just like the other maps we have being skyhammer the best example! They are patching it over and over and ppl still hate it.
Were talking about anet here… It takes them 6 month to fix skill facts, how wold they come up with more than one map in a year time? I’m not expecting anything spectacular though…

(edited by Volrath.1473)

in PvP

lordkrall.7241

Exactly. Many people dislike Skyhammer, so maybe they decided to make sure they took extra time to make sure the same thing doesn’t happen again?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Since this thread has run its course and continues to drift off-topic, we’re going to lock it now. Please continue to post your feedback in one of the other existing, active threads.