Poll: Team size for "Play Now"?

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

A lot of interesting discussion on this topic.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-pros-of-8v8/

Let us know what you think.
http://strawpoll.me/696382

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Gooooooo 5v5! Hotjoin should teach players using tournament settings.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Anything more than 5 should be removed. Only in custom arenas that people bought with gems it should be possible to have more than 5 per team.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Not sure why people are choosing 5 v 5. In hot joins, you’re more likely to have inequalities in team size, which makes less of an impact in matches where you have more members.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I liked the idea of two buttons one for 5v5 and one for 8v8.

If I had to pick 5v5.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I only just started PvPing a lot a week ago, and I was extremely saddened when I found out that I can only do 8v8 Play Now games. I can’t learn anything when there are so many people throwing stuff everywhere that I can’t tell what’s going on.

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Game was designed for 5v5, I’m going to say 5v5.

I think custom arenas should be allowed to do whatever they want.

This is sPvP, not a clown car: 10 people is the limit.

The only time overcrowding is permissible is when you’re trying to fit more than 1 girl on your bed.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9810

brannigan.9810

Five should be standard for join now. That doesn’t mean you have to take away the 8 v 8 servers plus there are also arenas. If you want to join more then 5 v 5 that is what you should have to choose manually. It just makes sense imo.

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

A lot of interesting discussion on this topic.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-pros-of-8v8/

Let us know what you think.
http://strawpoll.me/696382

Just wanted to say that I like the polls you’re throwing out to get information on “hot”-topics. You should have done that since release, but better now than never

Keep up the good work.

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Seconded, thanks for putting time into the PvP community, I know it will pay off for you guys in the long run.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

5v5 only
/15char

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: JonG.7206

JonG.7206

I only just started PvPing a lot a week ago, and I was extremely saddened when I found out that I can only do 8v8 Play Now games. I can’t learn anything when there are so many people throwing stuff everywhere that I can’t tell what’s going on.

Don’t worry! You can join a 5vs5 “Play Now” game. Just look for ones which have team size:5 in the description

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Great to see that the majority agrees with the “Everything should be 5v5”.

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Gooooooo 5v5! Hotjoin should teach players using tournament settings.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I find hotjoins a waste of players Please reduce them to a minimum.

8v8 = 16x players = thats 3x FULL teams that could increase the tpvp population.

If nothing else , they could still just be put against each other so there would be less “lonesome bad players” getting lost in higher MMR matches.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

League of Legends’ normal mode, solo queue mode, and team ranked mode..even their players vs A.I. mode are all the same format on summoner’s rift: 5v5. The reason is because consistency between modes facilitates learning. Players who do well in normal, un-ranked mode can carry those learned skills onto more competitive environments. It is an evolution of competition.

We could learn a thing or two from the largest and most successful e-sport game in all of the history of the world.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

12 vs 12. Play now should be fun, not some silly 1vs 1 fights.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Not sure why people are choosing 5 v 5. In hot joins, you’re more likely to have inequalities in team size, which makes less of an impact in matches where you have more members.

You’re right. However, IMO, the game should prioritize filling in the on-going 5v5 rooms first before going to the on-going 8v8 rooms, and the rooms that are currently waiting for players if everyone is hitting the Play Now button instead of choosing the room to get in. In that way, inequalities in team size should easily be filled when players start to leave. Add to that the fact that we now have spectator mode that allows players to hop in on an already full room when a slot opens up.

But, for me, 8v8 should not be removed completely. More options = more fun to more players.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

But, for me, 8v8 should not be removed completely. More options = more fun to more players.

This is not a matter of removing game modes. This is about the “Play Now” function. When you press Play Now in the PvP browser, what do you want to be automatically put into? The overwhelming majority currently says 5v5 is the answer, and for good reason.

This is not to say that 8v8 will be totally deleted from the game. Of course not. 8v8 should be maintained as an option for custom arenas.

in PvP

Posted by: Nezia.8154

Nezia.8154

5v5 please.

/15 chars

If you close your mind to new information, you are not being a productive member of the society.
You are the useless log of flesh we have to drag behind us as we move forward.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

5vs5 forever

Stop Zerg!

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

5v5, 8v8 is zergfest

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

1 year and 7 months late . guys take note of this. pvp will be balanced accordingly to this time gap

Stop giving them hell, they’re doing their best to up productivity and communicate better (externally and internally), and posts like this make it impossible to want to reach out, because random lashback when they’re trying doesn’t help anything. If you want the game and community to progress then treat it in such a way.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Thanks for participating in the poll, folks. Can’t say I’m surprised at the results so far!

Keep the votes coming.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i am fine with the play now button for 5 vs 5 games only but please do not remove 8 vs 8 hotjoin servers.

i can still use my custom 8 vs 8 filter to find those servers and join them manually.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Hotjoin is hotjoin. If it is made 5 vs 5 and a player casually decides to leave to go make a coffee..you now have 4 vs 5, which soloq/tpvp has shown usually results in a whitewash. There is a reason why in ice hockey if a player gets benched for a penalty, their opposition automatically will use power plays for the duration of the time that the player is benched. It leads to easier successive scoring.

Remove leader boards. It is bizarre that a single player can be ranked according to what a team did, especially a team they have never met before. Have soloq easy entrance and deftly short wait times. Waiting for 4-40 minutes for a match is not fun. This makes soloq a nice bridge between hotjoin and tournament. When players are ready there is a tonne of guilds advertised on forums for tpvp and you can search for a team in the newly created LFG tool.

There needs to be karma/exp/gold rewards for players to come from PvE. In hotjoin they can skirmish, be part of the zerg, get rolled by the zerg and pick a fight with every person they lay eyes on. Eventually they’ll notice they get top scorer more and more when they set about only fighting on nodes, neutralizing, capturing, downing chieftain, stealing svan and get rewards that benefit them once they go back to living story or help get thast much closer to making their legendary or level. They can then move to soloq with a better idea of what is needed and here they’ll get pushed more with 1 vs 1 purpose built builds. They’ll face spike builds, roamers and bunkers. From there they can enter tpvp and have specific tasks and duties to perform.

At the end of each match display the top three scorers for each team down the sides of the screen so those who want their name in glory can have it. Getting this achievement results that in the next match you play your stomp emote becomes awesome. If you achieve it twice in a row, your stomp becomes breath taking..it showcases you’re purposeful and know what is needed.

As long as you have soloq leaderboards you’re inviting obsessive players who want their names in lights to complain about there is no decay, the MMR is stupid, this is too O.P, this is dumb etc etc. The design philosophy for this game was aimed at casual players, not the obsessive hardcore. The hound that chases two hares catches nothing. This way you have given increasing levels of skill required, reward those who were purposeful with their play, allowed a proving ground where ‘ground and pound’ is fine and fair and built a bridge between PvE and PvP.

just my 2 cents worth. Hope it gives some insight.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

I despise 8v8, but i still did not choose 5v5 only. Now if we have 5v5 only then the issue of ‘people leaving makes a much bigger difference in 8v8 than 5’s’ should be remedied some as there would be six more players wanting to join a new match compared to everybody playing 8’s.
Not sure how i can explain this better, its a little early.

But still i dont think it should be removed if some people enjoy it. So i choose preferred 5v5. But i wouldnt really care either way personally as long kitten ’s becomes the main thing.

Why is 5 ’ s censored

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I voted 5 v 5 but if someone leaves it will ruin the hotjoin probably permanently. There would have to be a STRICT penalty for leaving.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I voted 5 v 5 but if someone leaves it will ruin the hotjoin probably permanently. There would have to be a STRICT penalty for leaving.

There can’t be.
Try solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

vote 5v5

and all servers in hotjoin lsit should show it is 5v5 or 8v8 and how many players in – noone cares how many spectators

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

its called hot join.

you do not punish people for leaving in hot join.

that is why, 8 vs 8 is the ideal size for hot join games.

people just wanna have some fun.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Hotjoin is hotjoin. If it is made 5 vs 5 and a player casually decides to leave to go make a coffee..you now have 4 vs 5, which soloq/tpvp has shown usually results in a whitewash. There is a reason why in ice hockey if a player gets benched for a penalty, their opposition automatically will use power plays for the duration of the time that the player is benched. It leads to easier successive scoring.

Remove leader boards. It is bizarre that a single player can be ranked according to what a team did, especially a team they have never met before. Have soloq easy entrance and deftly short wait times. Waiting for 4-40 minutes for a match is not fun. This makes soloq a nice bridge between hotjoin and tournament. When players are ready there is a tonne of guilds advertised on forums for tpvp and you can search for a team in the newly created LFG tool.

There needs to be karma/exp/gold rewards for players to come from PvE. In hotjoin they can skirmish, be part of the zerg, get rolled by the zerg and pick a fight with every person they lay eyes on. Eventually they’ll notice they get top scorer more and more when they set about only fighting on nodes, neutralizing, capturing, downing chieftain, stealing svan and get rewards that benefit them once they go back to living story or help get thast much closer to making their legendary or level. They can then move to soloq with a better idea of what is needed and here they’ll get pushed more with 1 vs 1 purpose built builds. They’ll face spike builds, roamers and bunkers. From there they can enter tpvp and have specific tasks and duties to perform.

At the end of each match display the top three scorers for each team down the sides of the screen so those who want their name in glory can have it. Getting this achievement results that in the next match you play your stomp emote becomes awesome. If you achieve it twice in a row, your stomp becomes breath taking..it showcases you’re purposeful and know what is needed.

As long as you have soloq leaderboards you’re inviting obsessive players who want their names in lights to complain about there is no decay, the MMR is stupid, this is too O.P, this is dumb etc etc. The design philosophy for this game was aimed at casual players, not the obsessive hardcore. The hound that chases two hares catches nothing. This way you have given increasing levels of skill required, reward those who were purposeful with their play, allowed a proving ground where ‘ground and pound’ is fine and fair and built a bridge between PvE and PvP.

good 2 cents.
way worth more than 2 cents.

hopefully someone notices this.

in PvP

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

I’d prefer 5v5 but I wouldn’t mind if we had just play now 8v8 and play now 5v5 buttons.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

i think play now should be 5v5.
but in the case every 5v5 server is full, it is ok beeing put in a 8v8 server.

i don’t think it matters that you will get more unequal situations, like the mentioned ‘going for coffee afk’ers’ because in the end it is still hotjoin.

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

8v8 but bigger maps with 5 cap points, to split the teams up.

in PvP

Posted by: Remko.9801

Remko.9801

5v5 for sure.

WellWhaleWell-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I just wish there were ways to play with teams less than 5. I just want to queue up with my brother sometimes and get some games in together and it’s an absolute pain 90% of the time.

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I prefer 8v8.

5v5 isn’t enough players. Most of the time I never fight anyone in a 5v5.

In a 8v8 setting, I know I can get into a decently sized battle.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Smiley.5376

Smiley.5376

Finnaly a dream coming true. 5v5 should be the standard !

8v8 should be in custom arena’s only

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

I prefer 8v8.

5v5 isn’t enough players. Most of the time I never fight anyone in a 5v5.

In a 8v8 setting, I know I can get into a decently sized battle.

The problem with a ’decently sized battle’ is that it removes much of the skill and reaction out of the fight, as there’s so much going on. Larger groups in combat usually end up just being ’who has the most AoE dmg/condi/CC/heals’ rather than test of actual ability.

It feels unfair to die in such a fight, and isn’t nearly as satisfying to win as a smaller skirmish.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

please do not remove 8 vs 8 servers.

those saying “8 vs 8 for custom arena” only are very selfish.

@cheese
many people enjoy the chaos and simplicity of such fights.

you can have your tactical combats in 5 vs 5
why deny others their fun in their 8 vs 8 ?

have both.
play now button for 5 vs 5
filter the game browser for anet’s 8 vs 8 hot join servers.

in PvP

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

You hit Play now button and another window appears with 3 or more options:

1) Tourney mode —→ you are put on a 5×5

2) Glory mode —-→ you are put on 8×8

3) Death Match mode —-→ you are put on a 12×12 big map without capture points, only kills count.

Hot join should be fun, rank leveling should be faster and tourneys should give you nice rewards…

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

have both.
play now button for 5 vs 5
filter the game browser for anet’s 8 vs 8 hot join servers.

^Anet, this. Make 5v5 standard, but don’t remove 8v8.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

good 2 cents.

Someone did..you did. Wanna build a game with me?

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

good 2 cents.

Someone did..you did. Wanna build a game with me?

hurr durr me is not game developer sowee.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

This was a good poll, thanks. I hope you use the info to make relevant changes.

in PvP

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

A great initiative this Josh for involving the community.

I would like to point out something however in regards to the poll. "

Playing a bit the devils advocate here perhaps, but ask yourself the following: “Am I reaching my average player with this poll when I put it here?”

My guess is: no. Why? The people you have responding here are people that have a deep affinity for GW2 and PvP. The average player does not spend so much time on the forums. A lot of the players that play sPvP might not actually like the possible change from 8v8 and 5v5 to only one of them. If you want a more accurate result you should look into possibilities as to how you can reach the average player, but that is quite a lot of work.

These answers are of value, of course. It looks however that the average person that responded to it (via this thread) plays PvP a lot, perhaps it’s their main activity in GW2. Again: are you reaching your average GW2 player like this?

Great to see you guys and gals for reaching out and taking these initiatives.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

should be 20 versus 20

in PvP

Posted by: Dominus.2360

Dominus.2360

ArenaNet’s Servers: 5v5 only.

If there are people that want something else, there is still the option to use custom arenas. There are already enough empty CAs now that will close the gap when ANet takes their 8v8+ servers down (or converts them to 5v5 only).

in PvP

Posted by: Smiley.5376

Smiley.5376

I would like to add that you shouldn’t make only one “play now” button.

Half of the servers should be 5v5, the other half 8v8.

“Play now 5v5” AND “play now 8v8” is the way it should be.