PvP Unique Rewards (Keeping Casuals Invested)

in PvP

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Excuse me for not checking the last few pages for this thread already, but why haven’t we gotten another PvP track that gives us exclusive rewards?! If you guys care about really expanding the player base and making gw2 a more exciting experience for BOTH casuals and hardcore gamers, you’d be doing similar tracks like the one we got with the Balthazaar Backpiece…as sucky as that backpiece was…

And yes, bringing in PvErs does help the PvP community as much as us elitist would like to not admit. Our benefit just happens to be collateral damage. <_< The more PvErs in PvP, the more attention we’ll get to the format since ANET only caters to casuals.

This may sound like a crazy idea, but instead of the new finishers being in the gem stores, you could make a timed pvp track where you’re rewarded the finisher at the end.

Am I crazy or am I crazy?

Edited to add –
List of Possible New Reward Tracks/Additions:

• Black Lion Claim tickets/scraps
  • Exclusive Back Items (Balthazar)
  • Exclusive Armour (Glorious)
  • Exclusive Finishers (to replace them being sold on the gem store)
  • Previously PvP-Exclusive Armour Sets (Tribal Armour)
  • Increased tomes in region tracks (to make PvP leveling more worth-while)
  • Living Story Region Tracks (Dry Top…Silverwastes?)
  • Items that require RNG to acquire.
  • PvE time-gated rewards. Example: laurels or high level crafted items that are time-gated. This goes into the theme of PvP reward tracks not having diminishing returns.
  • T6 Materials: Would this balance the market on these?
  • Fractal Track
  • Unique Miniatures (Red/Blue Lords from Foefire, Lords from Stronghold, Heroes from Stronghold)
  • Unique Toys: Skyhammer (aoe dmg in costume brawl), Catapult (long range in costume brawl)
  • Unique Emotes
  • Possible currency for Guild Halls (Custom Arena Tokens from Glorious Track)

Ways To Increase Awareness of PvP “News” Like New Tracks & Tournaments

• Story journal style unlock that alerts you of new pvp releases.
  • Have 2-3 temporary NPCs walking near popular Bank/TP areas (Divinity’s Reach) with the rewards given from a new PvP Track. For example: the NPCs in Silverwastes wearing all Luminescent Armour.
  • “What’s New” tab basically reiterating patch notes to the game. This wouldn’t be just for pvp, but all game formats. The interface could be broken into format sections.

Miscellaneous Suggestions:

• Increasing the silver you get from winning rated matches.
  • Tier rating system for prestige rewards.
  • Improve match-making so that it’s not so discouraging to newer players.
https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

(edited by MailMail.6534)

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Yes Yes your cazy!! Though seriously good idea.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

MailMail.6534

Can’t believe no one else has replied to this thread. :O

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i think a repeatable track would be nice.

there is already a non repeatable track that gives a special back item display skin.

also, i think PvE players are in here for the rewards
- reward track progress
- puny amount of silvers

in PvP

Posted by: Reax.1806

Reax.1806

+10000000000 for more Unique Spvp rewards

in PvP

MailMail.6534

Remember the FLOOD of players coming in for the balthazaar back piece? As ugly as it is, there are PvErs who are hardcore completionists. Adding more unique items will bring those players back on a more consistent basis.

I can’t believe ANET hasn’t added another exclusive track since the feature patch. I can only hope they prove me wrong and we see one at the start of season 2. If not, I guess we’re back to the PvP community receiving attention on a tri-yearly basis…

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

Llama mini reward track.

That is all.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I actually hope on a tribal track.

EverythingOP

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

They did say that there would be new tracks, when they introduced them.

They also said we could get a new track based on living story.

So on 1st July when season 2 of living story starts, sPvP could get a living story track.

That’s probably the soonest we could get one.

I think pretty much everyone at Anet’s just working on season 2 living story stuff atm…

in PvP

MailMail.6534

Well I’m hoping for the best!! July 2nd get here already!

in PvP

Posted by: Exile.8160

Exile.8160

I always wanted living story reward tracks so us pvprs can have a shot at those living story rewards

in PvP

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, PvE player here. Gotta admit the reward tracks are pretty sweet. Got bored of daily dungeons and decided have a go at PvP for Transmutation Charges and Tomes of Knowledge. It’s a dreadful game mode though, even more newbie unfriendly than Arah. Probably gonna farm two or three reward tracks and be done with it.

in PvP

Posted by: Lorde Baldur.7269

Lorde Baldur.7269

Excellent idea!

Unique Rewards is lacking in sPvP.

in PvP

MailMail.6534

Yeah, PvE player here. Gotta admit the reward tracks are pretty sweet. Got bored of daily dungeons and decided have a go at PvP for Transmutation Charges and Tomes of Knowledge. It’s a dreadful game mode though, even more newbie unfriendly than Arah. Probably gonna farm two or three reward tracks and be done with it.

You’re right, it is unfriendly. It’s a shame that it is… The duty of ANET is to give players like you an incentive to play PvP which they’ve recently done a very good job at. They just need to sustain it…

Hopefully other pvp purists and hardcore pvpers such as myself will try to be more open minded about helping newer players and PvErs. ANET should also probably do more to teach players about pvp. The tutorial needs a major rework…

But to stay on topic, I think continued exclusive PvP rewards (new finishers for example or backpieces) should be a CONTINUED feature. This will keep completionists and PvErs coming back, and eventually they’ll get better.

in PvP

Posted by: Sleazebag.9427

Sleazebag.9427

tracks that reward the currently unobtainable pvp sets would be awesome. different tracks for each one of course, with the last reward being a box with the set inside. i would get the tribal set as fast as i could.

in PvP

MailMail.6534

I wonder what the devs think about this…

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Truth be told. A friend told me he doesn’t PvP and only PvE. Trying to convet him was a waste of time. Trying to convert PvE’ers to PvP is a waste of time.

Better to focus on getting all those people that PvP in LoL to come play GW2 instead of LoL rather than focusing on people who hate PvP to play PvP.

At least people that play LoL love PvP compared to PvE’ers who hate PvP.

So what should GW2 do? Who knows, I’m not your marketing director, but I do know that trying to get people who dislike PvP to play PvP is a waste of time, and theres better markets out there with better potential for gains.

in PvP

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

Yep I made a thread about this on the living world forum!

as new Living World and holiday content is released, associated Rewards Tracks will be available for the duration of those events. Once you have experienced and participated in the Living World content, you will unlock an associated Reward Track so you have the option to continue to receive relevant rewards in PvP. This will ensure that PvP is always a part of the bigger story that is unfolding in Tyria.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

in PvP

Posted by: Darko.5873

Darko.5873

I wonder what the devs think about this…

I’m not a dev but I’ll give it a shot:

“Hey all, we really appreciate your interest in the new reward tracks. This is something we feel strongly about and we absolutely intend to expand this system even more. We will talk about this topic when we have more things to show you and when we are closer to releasing them”.

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

@uberkingkong That’s not quite true. I played Guild Wars for years and logged thousands of hours almost exclusively in PvE. I started playing Guild Wars 2 the same way, pretty much all PvE. However, a couple months into 2013 I started playing PvP and I loved it. I now have the 19th most team queue wins in NA. If that doesn’t prove that PvEers can become PvPers, I don’t know what can. Sure, most of the PvEers who try out PvP for the rewards won’t stay, but I truly believe that some will.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

Just put every PvE content Skin as a reward. Adjust their difficult accordingly.

Example:
-Gas Mask
-Ruck Sack
-Fused Gauntlets
Ect.

I… Can’t be the only person thinking this?

…right?

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

in PvP

Posted by: Anhomedog.7968

Anhomedog.7968

I think that there should be one massive line…Like 500 or maybe more (40 in current ones) with some really good stuff in it. Start with some OK rewards and progress to good stuff that people want! This would get PvE completionists into PvP, and allow the hardcore pvpers some awesome stuff to show off. Also, maybe have reward tracks only available to high ranks 1-9 Track, 10-19 track, etc. etc.. Maybe the last reward could be a precursor? This would revive the pvp community and make the pve community more willing to pvp. Of course these precursors would be non-tradeable, for marketing reasons!

Just my 2 cents!!

Ride the Lightning: Movement speed adjustments
no longer affect the intended travel distance.
-The Pros at ANET

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

I think that there should be one massive line…Like 500 or maybe more (40 in current ones) with some really good stuff in it. Start with some OK rewards and progress to good stuff that people want! This would get PvE completionists into PvP, and allow the hardcore pvpers some awesome stuff to show off. Also, maybe have reward tracks only available to high ranks 1-9 Track, 10-19 track, etc. etc.. Maybe the last reward could be a precursor? This would revive the pvp community and make the pve community more willing to pvp. Of course these precursors would be non-tradeable, for marketing reasons!

Just my 2 cents!!

Anet should hire you, seriously! Account bond precs for PvP legendaries would be a great option, in my eyes.

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

I think there is something really interesting for everyone that could be put into pvp reward tracks, something that you can use if you need it or you can collect them and then sell the final product if you are not interested in it but you are looking for something else… wonder whats that ?
Black lion claim tickets.
I think it would be great to have a track that gives you a ticket scrap at the end. In order to get one ticket you’ll need 10 scraps. These numbers can be adjusted, but i think something like this would multiply pvp population.

It wouldnt be crazy to implement this, and wouldnt be that unfair compared to key farming, cause with keyfarming you can get a key in about 20min, which is more more or less the time of a pvp match.
Getting a ticket scrap from a key is random, but usually its 1 out of 4, so lets assume 1 scrap every 1.5 hours keyfarming.
It still takes more with pvp, but you would get some minor rewards meanwhile and …hey, its pvp!

in PvP

MailMail.6534

So what should GW2 do? Who knows, I’m not your marketing director, but I do know that trying to get people who dislike PvP to play PvP is a waste of time, and theres better markets out there with better potential for gains.

I think you’re missing the big reason why PvErs don’t like PvP in the first place. When it comes to the majority of players, it’s not that they dislike the format inherently. It’s the fact that there is no incentive to play it combined with the unwelcome environment that has been institutionalized since launch.

These are two things that ANET CAN change to make players flock to PvP, but they’ve done a poor job at both. Giving credit where it is due, I do sincerely think they’re getting better, so I’m hopeful.

We’ve got some fantastic ideas here. Let’s list them out:

• Black Lion Claim tickets
  • Exclusive Back Items (or other cosmetics)
  • Exclusive Finishers (to replace them being sold on the gem store)

Another offshoot idea is to increase the amount of tomes in region tracks. I know I’ve convinced a lot of PvEr friends that leveling up in PvP is more worthwhile, because they get to learn all their classes better than if they just played PvE. If tomes were even more accessible than they are now, that’d bring more people in who simply want to level extra characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Why not the sets of gear that are already unobtainable, yet were previously obtainable through the sPvP reward system?

- Tribal
- Rubric
- Marauder
- Stalwart
- Heavy Scaled

They’re in the game. They just need tracks.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

MailMail.6534

I’ll keep the first post updated with all the fantastic ideas. This thread getting noticed by devs is on my Christmas list. Hopefully it doesn’t actually take that long. haha

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Hopefully they’ll notice

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Why not the sets of gear that are already unobtainable, yet were previously obtainable through the sPvP reward system?

- Tribal
- Rubric
- Marauder
- Stalwart
- Heavy Scaled

They’re in the game. They just need tracks.

Agreed some tracks for some(not all) of those armors is a great idea.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Me too… I so badly want the Tribal set but I didn’t start PvPing until a few days after the changes \ :

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in PvP

MailMail.6534

More than anything else, the lack of updates to the reward tracks makes me think they’re on autopilot with PvP and just milking it for all they can.

This is my thought too, and it’s a shame, because I saw the impact their release had on the community, and despite pvp purists’ complaints, I recognized it as a GREAT way to bringing new players into PvP and keeping them there for prolonged periods of time.

At this point, it just seems like they’re on auto pilot like you’ve said. I don’t think it’d be that hard to make a new track every patch would it?

in PvP

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Tribal reward track pleeeeeeeeeease

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in PvP

MailMail.6534

We still didn’t see an update. These simple changes aren’t HARD to make now that they’ve implemented reward tracks. When small changes take a long time to happen, it makes me lose confidence in ANET’s attention to pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Zosek.3658

Zosek.3658

The problem is not if the changes are simple or not (or at least i think so), the problem lies in people that make the game. They seem to overthink everything. I know that it’s not good to just come up with an idea and implement it, but taking 1/2 year to do it is just silly. On this topic, i really dont think you will see this for a long time.

And most of all, i dont think that they will be all aboard with this idea. In the last (first?) ballance patch they actually just brought pve rewards into pvp. Their intent is to merge pvp and pve, not to make it so different (like it was in gw1) that pve people dont know what to do and will just get stomped by pvpers.

in PvP

MailMail.6534

I’m very happy to have seen the Maguuma Wastes track. I wish they would have called it “Dry Top” instead. So many people are confused and don’t realize there’s even a new track.

Yay for at least some progress. Looking forward to the other changes coming to PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Sage of the Luxons.1548

Sage of the Luxons.1548

It’s such a let down that these skins were in the game, but now are unobtainable. Going through my wardrobe, I keep seeing Tribal and REALLY wish I could use it. The mention of unlockable tracks or some other sort or reward methodology would be fine. I just don’t see why they couldn’t add an NPC that offers these skins or add it to an existing NPC, maybe even the Laurel Vendor. I’d even be willing to spend money (that’s right, ANet… more money for you if you add it ^.^), tho in game content is nice.
Regardless of what the method may be… PLEASE add it back into the game.

Bring back AB and Ritualists :P

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I just want the Zaishen Chest. Throw some keys in reward tracks and call it a day.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zaishen_Chest

Edit: And a title to get primarily PvE’ers into PvP and, the rich ones to buy PvP’ers keys.

in PvP

MailMail.6534

I think that’s a great idea, Copestetic.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Bl claim tickets in pvp reward tracks baha yes please. How about small gem store items such as glasses or whatnot. Good way to bring back bunny ears and other discontinued glasses like ride rims and aviators.

Säïnt

in PvP

MailMail.6534

I just wish they’d utilize the reward tracks more often. It’s a great system that’s maimed by lack of variety. Most pvpers already have all the dungeon armor… so we need other goals that would keep us interested.

The same goes for PvErs. I bet you if they added a track that had BL tickets or keys, you’d get a lot more pvpers. Or like I say originally, add more EXCLUSIVE items to the reward tracks. i.e. the glorious armor is a great trend that I hope they continue. However, we shouldn’t have to wait for another pvp tournament just for them to release a pvp-exclusive armor….

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I think one problem of reward tracks right now is their discoverability. We released the Maguuma Jungle Region reward track with Dry Top, and it gives you keys for chests, geodes for the unique items on vendors, and new skin components. I personally love this reward track being intertwined with PvE as it creates a great reward loop, but not many people seem to know about since it just appeared and looks like any other region track.

The new PvP exclusive armor track was also since reward tracks released, but I’m not sure how many players know about it.

I’m sure there are ways to solve the discoverability problem. Our main mechanism right now is feature highlights on release pages, but those aren’t in-game anywhere. Perhaps a story-journal style unlock that alerts you to each new reward track release would be more effective.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

MailMail.6534

You’re obviously right! When the Maguuma Jungle Region track came out, people were very confused and didn’t even know it was anything different. I think one issue was the name. The actual name “Dry Top Region Track” would have been better since Dry Top is now part of the popular vernacular in gw2.

I know all pvp-oriented players know about the reward tracks, but the rest of the community should be notified someway. For those tracks that are released based on the living story, you could simply add it to the story journal.

It would be much harder to “advertise” pvp-exclusive tracks however. Then again, you’d think people would notice new armor in their lockers. I surely do!

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Seriously you care more about silly reward tracks than game fixes lol ? fix 4v5 give proper in game rankings/ladder , then add fluff , thanx crypt

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Perhaps a story-journal style unlock that alerts you to each new reward track release would be more effective.

If this could be also used to advertise tournament, that’d be great.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in PvP

MailMail.6534

Seriously you care more about silly reward tracks than game fixes lol ? fix 4v5 give proper in game rankings/ladder , then add fluff , thanx crypt

Thanks for assuming what my priorities are. There are fixes that need to be made across the board. This is one of them. This is not fluff in the least bit…

What a lot of my fellow pvp purists fail to understand is that anet has a better incentive to fix pvp problems when a larger player base actually plays the format. In other words, the more cross over you have between PvE (where their money comes from) and PvP, the more likely you are to see overall positive changes to PvP.

Anet works hard to make positive changes. Just not at the velocity we’d like them to. Getting more people to actually play PvP can only lead to more positive changes.

Thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I think one problem of reward tracks right now is their discoverability. We released the Maguuma Jungle Region reward track with Dry Top, and it gives you keys for chests, geodes for the unique items on vendors, and new skin components. I personally love this reward track being intertwined with PvE as it creates a great reward loop, but not many people seem to know about since it just appeared and looks like any other region track.

The new PvP exclusive armor track was also since reward tracks released, but I’m not sure how many players know about it.

I’m sure there are ways to solve the discoverability problem. Our main mechanism right now is feature highlights on release pages, but those aren’t in-game anywhere. Perhaps a story-journal style unlock that alerts you to each new reward track release would be more effective.

I think there are a few reasons why not many people may know about it or rather they just don’t care too much about it. So far everyone offered in these reward tracks (except for balth and glorious) can be acquired in PvE. In my experience, it seems like the “PvErs” or none PvPers would probably not want to do it. Reason being is it seems like a good portion of this community is always looking for one thing. Get the most rewards with least amount of effort. I know of a few players who look at these reward tracks and think, “why not just farm so and so area. Seems like it would be way easier!”.

Only exceptions being the Glorious and Balthazar paths which actually pulled a few hardcore PvEr players I know into PvP. Most stopped after getting a few pieces of the glorious armor and Balthazar back piece.

Then you have hardcore PvPers. Now you have the data and I don’t, so I’m just pulling this out of my butt. But I feel like most of the players who spend a lot of time in PvP have no use for the “mats” and other rewards in the reward tracks.

The only area that I saw the reward tracks work better for PvErs and entice them was dry top. Some people felt that was a better way to get fossils since it was so based on RNG.

So yeah more unique rewards or perhaps alternates methods of acquisition for RNG heavy items. Then again this could back fire and just kitten off the PvE community.

Now in terms of getting people to “see” it, here is something I suggest. Story Journal is one way to do it. What about pulling a similar method that the recent living story patch uses?

Have a 2-3 NPCs stand around in a high population area. Maybe walk aroudn the area. Like around the bank/TP. They are dressed in the glorious armor and perhaps say stuff about PvP. Like the “Mist warriors” do about WvW. Players can go up and talk to them and see information about PvP and the reward tracks and such.

(edited by Deified.7520)

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

There are certainly people who only want to play PvP competitively, and never care about PvE rewards. We are still working on systems that make those players feel rewarded, but right now all of our prestige rewards come from LAN tournaments. Reward tracks are geared more towards the larger audience.

I really like the idea of NPCs walking around to show off the armor. I certainly noticed that in Silverwastes.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

There are certainly people who only want to play PvP competitively, and never care about PvE rewards. We are still working on systems that make those players feel rewarded, but right now all of our prestige rewards come from LAN tournaments. Reward tracks are geared more towards the larger audience.

I really like the idea of NPCs walking around to show off the armor. I certainly noticed that in Silverwastes.

At the same time though, adding in more/better reward tracks invites more of the 5v4 hotjoin types who only care about the track rewards. IMO this problem needs to be dealt with first before adding in more tracks which would exacerbate the problem.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in PvP

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

Ya… that has been suggested quite a few times but not specifically for pvp. Do what WoW does and have a “what’s new” tab so we don’t have people logging in from 1 year ago asking where the hell their kitten pvp armor is.

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Can’t wait to see those systems.

My point about the reward tracks is that in my experience, most of the larger audience seems to lean towards methods of rewards that require the lowest amount of work and reward the most. Reward tracks probably don’t come close to the rewards you get from playing PvE, especially instanced PvE. That combined with PvP be generally more intensive no the player may cause many of the larger audience to go back to PvE.

You talked about players not knowing about new reward tracks being a problem, but what if they know or were told about it before, but just kind went meh? Since the rewards aren’t near the levels you can get in PvE for arguably less stress and work.

It’s a tough nut to crack for sure. Finding a reward system that entices players from all game modes to play it, without making it a farm. It seems like the two best prospects we have at solving this issue is by offering rewards that are either unique to PvP (glorious and balth backpacks) or offering rewards that are RNG in other parts of the game mode (like dry top fossils). I would suggest precusrors, but I have a feeling the PvE community would be up in arms overnight if that were announced.

I just got another idea while writing this. PvE time gated rewards/crafts? These rewards would be pretty far into the crafting line, however they are rewards that would normally be timed gated. The crafted stuff. That could be a HUGE enticement for players to get into PvP via reward tracks. Laurels are an option too. Anything that is time gated. This of course would require some major economic research to make sure it doesn’t destroy the economy. However if these rewards are offered towards the end part of a reward track, it could be a huge boost to the playerbase.