PvP rank

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

So what do you guys think about PvP rank?

My thoughts on it was, it was something when the original game was made.
You would rank up, others would notice your rank after a match. As you ranked up you was rewarded by going to vendors who sold armor to make you more distinct in PvP. Also, those vendors sold bigger bags at set price of 500 glory. The thought being that you’d participated a lot more, you have more PvP consumables to make other PvP exclusive things and therefore needed larger storage. Most of you might not recall, but way back when PvP was originally designed, when you was a high rank, you looked better than everyone else, it may not seem that big anymore but it gave those high ranks some ‘feel good’ feelings and proud to have made it that high. Sure PvP rank wasn’t too hard to get, only dedicated or people with dedicated PvP friends new the ways to get rank fast. Slapping the downed guy, following zerg and slapping everyone, when zerg is about to lose, run away go find another 2v1 or some guy about to die, slap him, go uncap, etc., use the cannon, use the treb, etc. Actually put the map to use, I know that raid of Capricorn probably isn’t played anymore, but when its played I doubt people will use cannon now, well not as much with the old point system.
Anyways back to topic, another thing about the old PvP system was that although it wasn’t hard to get rank, it wasn’t crazy easy as it is now, and that you’d still have to spend a massive amount of time in PvP to reach rank 80, which could be obtained in a year and half, maybe shorter with the old system. Rather than seeing newbies running around at rank 80, with the old system you’d see really good players or people that really do know how to PvP at rank 80. Another thing, I recently was in some hotjoin to see how its doing… Ya you know I won, its so easy to figure out which team is winning, just wait for game to play out for a bit, see who won the first fight…. Join the victors who won the first fight. A lot of people would agree with me that if you won the first fight, you pretty much won the game, sure there are comebacks, but odds are in your favor if you won the first fight. But anyways, match was over…. No rank was shown.

Now if they don’t show rank after matches anymore, don’t show them on leaderboards. Tournament ques not based off rank. No more special vendors for being a high rank. No more bigger bags for being a high rank. What’s the point in getting to rank 80 then? The only thing I can think of is that you can do a /rank 80, and that you have a title. But there’s so many titles, that even having a title isn’t that great. PvE’ers are proud of doing rabbit /rank, having a dragon rank doesn’t really awe them. I feel like rank use to be good, as a show of ‘yup you know I PvP’ after match with showing your rank (with the old system of getting rank), also a lot of people know it means something in tournament (rank 10 got lucky teams guy on your team, or rank 80 been through a bunch of bad teams but really good… which one you pick auto generator? Looks like that got lucky guy is now on your team and you lost because the got lucky guy is terrible), yet rank not a factor in tournaments. PvP rank is also widely known as not meaning anything either, I’d say it means nothing a lot more than when it was at launch of GW2. Hence why they don’t even show people your rank anymore, not in hotjoins, not in tournament games, not on leaderboards, not no where.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Just tell them how good you are in the leaderboards for PvP and that will awe them.

Personally I agreed with arenanet, they should have removed ranks completely but apararently too many people got upset with that.

I recall you stating a year ago that PvP would be completely dead with ranks removed, yet here we are still playing this game. Evidently the PvP must be better than the other games regardless of its current state.

PvP rank

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Came back to play a lil bit GW2 yesterday… Rank 650 after winning 6 games losing 2.
Also, playing a profession I’ve never played before and spamming all the skills.
Shows how good I am compared to the PvP community. When I left my record was 49% losses, I’m now 50.29%. All good players leave or what? I shouldn’t be winning like the way I’m playing right now, especially being that its against people on the leaderboard.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Came back to play a lil bit GW2 yesterday… Rank 650 after winning 6 games losing 2.
Also, playing a profession I’ve never played before and spamming all the skills.
Shows how good I am compared to the PvP community. When I left my record was 49% losses, I’m now 50.29%. All good players leave or what? I shouldn’t be winning like the way I’m playing right now, especially being that its against people on the leaderboard.

Depends what class you played.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: supvil.3470

supvil.3470

Depends what class you played.

And on what continent.

On the NA servers the group of (semi) decent players is so small that almost everyone who somewhat tries to pvp gets in to the top 100/200 with ease.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

He must have played NA , spvp there is on life support , If he played EU and is 650 , well done you must be STRONK!!!!

[WM]give us in game ladder

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

The fact that after 6 wins you went to 650 shows how broken the ladder is.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Your hidden rating stays the same regardless of how long you have played or not. If you were in the top 1000 before quitting, came back 5 months later all the enemies you will face will also be in the top 1000 even though your LB ranking may be 60%.

If you keep winning againt foes who are in the top 1000, naturally you’ll end up back in the top 1000. The system isn’t broken, it’s just there is a lot of people with a lack of understanding.

PvP rank

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

The fact that after 6 wins you went to 650 shows how broken the ladder is.

Yes I agree ladder is broken, I give the developers a hard time all the time about it. I love mentioning again and again how StarCraft ladder was so successful, that StarCraft a game not intended to be eSports, was like the first major eSports game there was and I think its strongly due to how well the ladder system they had was imposed.

Also, developers mentioned that when you come back your hidden rating stays the same and you get games based on that. Well, I played AH guardian, I don’t even know how to play it and just focus on stacking might and healing teammates and rezzing, guarding the mid point and helping teammates when mid point isn’t threatened and wont be threatened because of knowing where all the enemies are at and good guesswork of there intentions. Back to point, I been winning games and all I do is button smash. Use up all my meditations in one shot and spam a skill even when its pointless. Funny how I haven’t even played in a while and I dominate, and I’m not claiming I’m super good, but there’s a lot of terrible players out there. Also I contradict myself and think too that the skill level is too low, I think skillful players should be able to beat 2 or 3 unskillful players on the daily and not rely on luck for that to happen. Since skill floor is too low, well I think it is because I spam skills that are properly pointless and I’m winning fights, this shouldn’t happen.

I think every class when specced for dps, should be able to quickly, skillfully down someone as fast as the thieves and eles that you hear about one shotting people. Also that it allows skillful players to know how to avoid those types of strong bursts. Newbies should be kitten able. Players that don’t know there profession and spam buttons shouldn’t win, kinda like what I’m doing, but I’m also running guardian build by Tage from 3 months ago, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Tages-short-Spvp-guide/first#post4200603 the AH build, a lot of people been telling me to swap that heal for shelter, but nahhhh been winning with it so no need to change it.
But again, I have no clue what I’m doing, running a meta build 3 months ago, winning games spamming buttons. Not just any games either, leaderboard top 1000 ranking type games. You guys think that someone that hasn’t played in awhile, playing some profession he doesn’t know anything about, playing some build he don’t know anything about, spamming buttons, should be winning in top 1000 leaderboard matches, which means that he’s playing against other good players because we all know if your on leaderboard you going to get pitted against people from all over that leaderboard even people in the top 100. I think I should be losing my games, but its all good, I don’t like losing anyways.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

You’re right, you’re definitely a god among insects. Seriously though, if you were in top 1000, you stay in top 1000. That’s how the Glicko rating system works, you can find it broken if you like, but it is very appropriate for a game such as GW2. In teamq, a very good team of casual players will rise higher than a few brainded hardcore players, and that’s how it should be. Sure it happens that someone gets to rank 1 after only 30 matches, but over time it corrects itself (the more you play, the more accurate the rating). If you once were in top 1000, chances are you are a good player, so even when getting back, you still have some good reflexes, on an easy build in addition to that. Plus, you were in soloq, so chances are you weren’t as useful as you think you were, and the four guys on your team were just good players. Sorry if your pride got hurt.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I agree 100% with the ranks and its too easy, alot of my friends in pvp quit playing since they were high level 50’s or low level 60’s and when they changed pvp they all became 80 and there was really nothing left to go for. Seriously any scrub can spend 3 weeks in pvp and get to 80 and it took me and a guildie to get to 60 for teh first 18 months of the game and to be honest we felt cheated. When he got that shark finisher he was so pumped and i was 2 levels away and then bam, were dragons.

Also i like the leaderboard since its just for fun, not to worried about it but its fun to see you and your friends name on the board. PvP has died for me since im only doing it for ap and since im almost to 20k i feel i should but im drowning a bit to log in anymore. Great points though

PvP rank

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

Lastly if you play in na i do feel that alot of the better players are leaving, a guardian with meditations and spamming might shouldnt be dominating if thats what you are implying you are doing.

PvP rank

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

yup that’s what I’m doing, and that guy who said I got carried, I probably did. However I have 700 games in solo que and on leaderboards, its different than having under 100 games. I’m well in that average of there wacky matchup system and leaderboard system.
I think guardians are useful too, 15 might stack and heals from ah guardian op right? I got it from meta build and it came from top eu guardian, Tage. Although 3 months old.
If EU meta beats NA meta has to be from Tage doing 15 might stacks and heals to team!

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I like the rank finishers you can earn. However, they’re only a sign of how long you’ve been playing PvP, not how good you actually are.

PvP rank

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

disagree with ya zaxares, i was at bear ranking before the big change and my team ran into a pvp guild called fort trinity where they had 4 legit pheonix players. They wasted us 4-5 times. People who play alot tend to be better then new people figuring out the builds they like. For instance a level 60 thief though he might not be great has the experience to recognize what skills are being use by a mesmer or engineer and so forth. Seriously the biggest problem in this community is people dont see the big attacks coming and cry op when they get killed in 30 sec. Seriously every shark and up player in pvp before the big patch was at least decent, im running into dragon skilled players who i dont even use my utility skills for. Its a little upsetting for me to see the most average of players getting everything so they dont have to earn it with time or skill.

PvP rank

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They TEND to be better, yes. But just like how players with higher AP tend to be better at dungeons etc., it’s not an iron-clad guarantee. I’m only Wolf rank (and not even a very good one), but the other night I faced off against a Dragon rank who seemed to make every mistake in the textbook (barely dodging, no stun breaks, had a tendency to double-cap). I suppose it could have been a “little brother” using the account, but otherwise I can’t think of any other reason why the Dragon rank was so terrible unless he’d just been playing for months and months but never bothered to improve himself.