Question to devs about map voting

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

If you guys look at the metrics and see Skyhammer is clearly avoided once people can vote on it, will you consider doing something about it?

We’ve already done multiple things to the map based on community feedback, including making changes to the map, removing it from the tournament configuration rules, and from team arena.

If you’re asking if we’ll remove the map entirely? Probably not, not so long as some people prefer it.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I preferred Raid on the Capricorn and it was removed!

ok, I’m done trolling, however how come Skyhammer gets special treatment it seems?

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

It was removed because we decided to exclude water combat from PvP, not because of anything wrong with the map’s mechanics (outside the water, obviously.)

I loved the map… very few people knew how to work the canon, so they’d leave me alone as I repeatedly blasted them.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

ok, I’m done trolling, however how come Skyhammer gets special treatment it seems?

Seriously though, couldn’t Capricorn have been left in hotjoin? Seems like a waste, even if it wasn’t everyone’s favorite.

All it does is make me feel like water combat is being moved away from across the board.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

It was removed because we decided to exclude water combat from PvP, not because of anything wrong with the map’s mechanics (outside the water, obviously.)

I loved the map… very few people knew how to work the canon, so they’d leave me alone as I repeatedly blasted them.

That’s a fair and rational decision. I have a question though, has the development team ever thrown out ideas of just removing the water and making slight tweaks to bring it back to pvp?

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

I have a question though, have the development team ever thrown out ideas of just removing the water and making slight tweaks to bring it back to pvp?

Yes, we’ve talked about it. We’ve had higher priorities, so it hasn’t been on the task list yet. I don’t know if it will ever come back though, I believe most players would rather see us spend designer and environmental artist time working on new game modes.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

I have a question though, have the development team ever thrown out ideas of just removing the water and making slight tweaks to bring it back to pvp?

Yes, we’ve talked about it. We’ve had higher priorities, so it hasn’t been on the task list yet. I don’t know if it will ever come back though, I believe most players would rather see us spend designer and environmental artist time working on new game modes.

That’s understandable if you have higher priorities. If you lack the resources and manpower then don’t worry about it, and focus on more important task. Which seems to be the case now, and that’s a good thing.

RIP Capricorn

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Can you reintroduce Capricorn but remove the water? So how about raising the seafloor level up to the ship so it’s like an old “beached” ship. Then make ruins point (the previous underwater node) like inside a cavernous area within that rocky outcropping. Keep the other nodes (dock and beach) the same along with the cannon on the elevated wall and the gang planks leading to the ship. Could leave blue spawn the same and lower red spawns height.
Could then rename it to, say, Capricorn Grotto.

Säïnt

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

Would you consider more extreme measures, like removing the breakable panels or making them take even longer to break?

The last update included making them take longer to break, and made the canon dodge-able. Are you asking if we’d make it even longer? I’m not sure. This is more a question for the designers.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

that’s sad to hear. i really love that map. its one of my favorite map!

what are the odds of you releasing the map editor tools to us, so we can fix the map ourselves?

in PvP

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

what are the odds of you releasing the map editor tools to us, so we can fix the map ourselves?

Basically nil. The tools we use are very customized to a particular workflow, and there’s a lot of tribal knowledge involved as I understand it. We’d need to allocate a fairly large team dedicated to just this.

That said, I think it would be a lot of fun if we ever held some sort of map concept contest. I believe something like that was done for weapons in GW1.

Server Programmer (sPvP)

in PvP

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

Ah, yes. I remember someone yelling at me for cheating after taking a swig of heros’ elixir because necros don’t have invulnerability. It was nice to operate the cannon too, but I often got attacked when I did.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Basically nil. The tools we use are very customized to a particular workflow, and there’s a lot of tribal knowledge involved as I understand it. We’d need to allocate a fairly large team dedicated to just this.

That said, I think it would be a lot of fun if we ever held some sort of map concept contest. I believe something like that was done for weapons in GW1.

aaah thanks for the reply!

hmmm i will have to just wait until you all have the time to work on revising the capricorn map then.

hopefully, after all other sPvP priorities are done, going well, ya all can allocate some time to bring this map back to sPvP!

i’m looking forward to it!

cheers and thanks again justin!

in PvP

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

And it’s funny because there are now completely useless cannon “tutorials” (or least, exercices) in the Heart of the Mists (next to the trebs). You should have removed them too when you disabled the water tutorial, to avoid “confusing players” !

P.S. take it slightly please, it’s just a little joke I, too, miss nuking people with the cannon

in PvP

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Hey, I liked water combat!

Granted, it wasn’t QUITE as diverse as land combat, but I still liked it. I wish you’d kept it. On the other hand, maybe over time you can diversify water combat a bit more, more weapon options or something, and that might make it a bit more interesting then for those that don’t like it.

in PvP

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Was it removed because players didn’t like water combat?

Because as I said my previous reply, I DO like water combat. I think it’s unfortunate, I thought it added an extra dimension towards tactics and strategies.

What they need to do is release a boxed set where we are going to have to fight Bubbles, and while at it, maybe make water combat more interesting with more weapons and tactical options, maybe even water-only utility skills, and an entire underwater region. Call it…. the Journey to Atlantis!

And then bring Capricorn back.

:-D

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

Was it removed because players didn’t like water combat?

Because as I said my previous reply, I DO like water combat. I think it’s unfortunate, I thought it added an extra dimension towards tactics and strategies.

What they need to do is release a boxed set where we are going to have to fight Bubbles, and while at it, maybe make water combat more interesting with more weapons and tactical options, maybe even water-only utility skills, and an entire underwater region. Call it…. the Journey to Atlantis!

And then bring Capricorn back.

:-D

It’s not that players didn’t like underwater combat, it was just insanely broken. Rangers, for example, were pretty much invincible underwater.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

If you guys look at the metrics and see Skyhammer is clearly avoided once people can vote on it, will you consider doing something about it?

We’ve already done multiple things to the map based on community feedback, including making changes to the map, removing it from the tournament configuration rules, and from team arena.

If you’re asking if we’ll remove the map entirely? Probably not, not so long as some people prefer it.

And it is STILL the most hated map. But don’t worry it will be added BACK INTO rotation thanks to the new system.