Rank 80.. Reached in 19 years.. O.O

in PvP

Posted by: Eventine.8024

Eventine.8024

I’m playing sPvP just for fine, or in an “agonist” way with my team, when I have time. Now i’m rank 40, and it took me 9 months (since September) to reach this goal. I don’t care about being an higher rank, the problem is that I would wear the nice armors rank 60-70-80.
I said, no problem, with time I will reach these ranks too. But calculating a bit, I found that to reach rank 80 i need more then 19 years.. I think it’s too long, and I cannot understand why the “rank levelling” does not look like as the PvE levelling. I know that it’s a bit different, but taking 19 years seems really crazy!!!
Some of you could tell me another ways of find these items, or to farm rank points (pls don’t tell me: “go in hot-join, and stay there all the day..” It’s REALLY boring!)

Thnks.
Eventine

in PvP

Posted by: hrkljus.1243

hrkljus.1243

I’m pretty sure they said they will be reworking the reward system.

Though gw1 did have something similar with the hero title, the first player to reach max rank reached it after a few years of dedicated playing.

Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Though gw1 did have something similar with the hero title, the first player to reach max rank reached it after a few years of dedicated playing.

The difference is, it actually required skill and competitive play. The only thing these both titles share are the animations, nothing else.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

The difference is, it actually required skill and competitive play. The only thing these both titles share are the animations, nothing else.

Skill or not it still took what, 6 years to reach Phoenix in GW1 and that was from a dedicated player. If your playing casual as OP said then you shouldnt reach the max ranks.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Skill or not it still took what, 6 years to reach Phoenix in GW1 and that was from a dedicated player. If your playing casual as OP said then you shouldnt reach the max ranks.

Phoenix was reached alot earlier than 6 years after release, I think you mean Dragon (max. title).
TBD: The goal is not to reach the max rank, it’s the journey to it. It is the feeling to play as most as you can to achieve such an impressive emote. Nowadays it’s a grind and doesn’t need skillz, so I understand why ppl are upset with the actual system.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

imagine if you held a job now and it went for 19 years.

in PvP

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

imagine if you held a job now and it went for 19 years.

actually, the presence of careers with positions lasting less than 10 years is a relatively new phenomenon in human culture.

only really since the technological revolution have people had options that have allowed them to change careers and pursue personal goals.

prior to this, lifetime jobs (ie, “careers”) were the norm, with advancement within the job structure.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

The highest ranked person right now is 68-70 I haven’t seen him in awhile. It might take you 19 years to get to rank 80 but for others, it’d take 2 years or less. I’m rank 41 right now and have been there for awhile I started back in January and I could easily rank up from rank 41 in a day or 2 if I wanted too (not like I have to win games or anything), but I’m burnt out right now because the PvP isn’t very competitive.

I see same people everywhere and it doesn’t feel competitive because this two tournament bullkitten, back in GW1 it felt VERY competitive because teams kept going and had a REAL tournament structure (no two team fake kitten tournament)

Game hasn’t been out for a year yet and some people are already a couple months from dragon rank, it really isn’t that hard to make rank in this game it just requires dedication those rank 65-70 folks sure have a lot dedication. I believe not all should make it to rank 80, it shouldn’t be a handout and it should require skill to make rank but its obvious in this game fake kitten esport guild wars 2 that hotjoin heroes are higher ranked than top 10 leaderboard pvpers.

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I Predict someone will Rank 80 in about a year and a half from now. Great posts in this thread though. I agree with most of them. There should be a real tournament and it shouldn’t be all Conquest all the time. I also feel that you should not be able to gain Glory in Hotjoin AND that you should only gain Glory when your team wins in tournament sPvP. But they haven’t implemented tournament sPvP. What they call tournaments are single round Team Arena vs Random Arena.

As far as PvP is concerned they haven’t done a single thing right. I saw the GW2 box in Gamestop yesterday. It had the nerve to say that the game has “World Class PvP”. Can you believe that False Advertising? World Trash PvP is more like it. I used to be one of ANet’s biggest fans too……

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

I Predict someone will Rank 80 in about a year and a half from now. Great posts in this thread though. I agree with most of them. There should be a real tournament and it shouldn’t be all Conquest all the time. I also feel that you should not be able to gain Glory in Hotjoin AND that you should only gain Glory when your team wins in tournament sPvP. But they haven’t implemented tournament sPvP. What they call tournaments are single round Team Arena vs Random Arena.

As far as PvP is concerned they haven’t done a single thing right. I saw the GW2 box in Gamestop yesterday. It had the nerve to say that the game has “World Class PvP”. Can you believe that False Advertising? World Trash PvP is more like it. I used to be one of ANet’s biggest fans too……

While yes there should be better tournament formats, you need a player base to populate those tournaments. So it becomes a bit of a chicken vs egg question.

Do you implement better tournament structure (which by the way they already had and removed due to low population and complaints of length of time to complete) and hope that attracts more players risking development time and money for something that may not work, or do you wait for the population to grow and then implement features when there are more players to use them risking the population never growing?

Based on the fact they had a better tournament system, people complained it took to long and so they removed it, they are clearly making the right choice to wait for the population to grow by advertising the 3rd party tournaments. And personally, its posts and opinions like that which are hurting the community. Claim they cant make decisions or do anything right while begging for them to add something that we begged them to get rid of in the first place… so really, who is the ones that cant make decions? (Spoiler, the answer is the player base)

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

While yes there should be better tournament formats, you need a player base to populate those tournaments. So it becomes a bit of a chicken vs egg question.

Do you implement better tournament structure (which by the way they already had and removed due to low population and complaints of length of time to complete) and hope that attracts more players risking development time and money for something that may not work, or do you wait for the population to grow and then implement features when there are more players to use them risking the population never growing?

Based on the fact they had a better tournament system, people complained it took to long and so they removed it, they are clearly making the right choice to wait for the population to grow by advertising the 3rd party tournaments. And personally, its posts and opinions like that which are hurting the community. Claim they cant make decisions or do anything right while begging for them to add something that we begged them to get rid of in the first place… so really, who is the ones that cant make decions? (Spoiler, the answer is the player base)

3 Conquest Maps in a row isn’t much of a tournament. Bottom line is thakittens not that much fun. I guess you didn’t play the original or you understand what I’m talking about. They had the blueprint for a successful tournament and they threw it all away to gain absolutely nothing. In the original HoH Tournament in GW1 the second map alone contained 6 Pre-Made Teams with each team consisting of 8 Players. There was never any wait time and there were hundreds of Pre-Made teams of 8 players playing HA at any given time. Why did GW1 have no problem filling up the queue and GW2 be an Epic PvP Failure? Simple, GW1 was more fun, had a better combat system, required more skill to play at a high level, and had a real tournament structure with Team Death Match, Conquest, King of the Hill, and Capture The Flag style Maps. Throw in great rewards for winning the Hall of Heroes along with a legit Fame /Rank system and you can clearly see where GW2 went wrong. GW1 > GW2

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

If the game didn’t suck so bad there wouldn’t be people bickering. I made a post about -leavers -lag -bad leaderboards -bad tournament system -bad rewards -bad matchmaking -rank not meaning anything (in GW1 it meant you was good) and guess what they reappear by other people every week because the developers DONT listen to player base and fix it.

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

3 Conquest Maps in a row isn’t much of a tournament. Bottom line is thakittens not that much fun. I guess you didn’t play the original or you understand what I’m talking about. They had the blueprint for a successful tournament and they threw it all away to gain absolutely nothing. In the original HoH Tournament in GW1 the second map alone contained 6 Pre-Made Teams with each team consisting of 8 Players. There was never any wait time and there were hundreds of Pre-Made teams of 8 players playing HA at any given time. Why did GW1 have no problem filling up the queue and GW2 be an Epic PvP Failure? Simple, GW1 was more fun, had a better combat system, required more skill to play at a high level, and had a real tournament structure with Team Death Match, Conquest, King of the Hill, and Capture The Flag style Maps. Throw in great rewards for winning the Hall of Heroes along with a legit Fame /Rank system and you can clearly see where GW2 went wrong. GW1 > GW2

Funny that you reference an HA map that was removed from rotation because it wasnt well received and often was unfair. While I agree GW2 still has flaws lets not say that GW1 was the greatest of pvp games. While HA did have multiple game types, that vast majority of maps came down to a deathmatch game with periodic ressing and side mechanics for teams that needed the boost.

And this is beside the point. GW1 (which by the way, played for over 6 years, thanks for the assumption I didnt play) was strictly a team based game. While player skill was still highly important team and build comp were far more important. GW2 is much more personal skill oriented. GW1 had a high barrier to entry and a large learning curve. GW2 allows new players to pick up the game, play with others on a smaller team and still get rewarded even though they are new.

The point I am getting at is that these are 2 different games, and there is a reason that GW1 still is being hosted and not shut down. If you like GW1 pvp go play GW1 pvp. Its time for this community to accept that these are 2 different games created by the same company.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Well I had an idea last night. In PvE doing your daily/monthly gives you X amount of xp and karma.

So why can’t they simply add this to the PvP daily/monthly, but it gives you glory and rank points instead. It would be a nice little boost, but nothing overkill.

Just a thought.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

One of the biggest issues is, that you get more rank with braindead hotzerg then with tournaments. Another problem is imho, that you get rank anyway. It doesnt matter if you play good or bad, if you help your team or not. In GW1 the rank meant something (not talking about the last 3 years, but the first 3), because you actually had to WIN to get rank and the more matches you won (in a row), the harder the enemies got. Parallel you also received more fame (rankpoints), when you won many matches in a row… I dont unterstand why Anet didnt take this system into GW2…^^

in PvP

Posted by: hrkljus.1243

hrkljus.1243

One of the biggest issues is, that you get more rank with braindead hotzerg then with tournaments. Another problem is imho, that you get rank anyway. It doesnt matter if you play good or bad, if you help your team or not. In GW1 the rank meant something (not talking about the last 3 years, but the first 3), because you actually had to WIN to get rank and the more matches you won (in a row), the harder the enemies got. Parallel you also received more fame (rankpoints), when you won many matches in a row… I dont unterstand why Anet didnt take this system into GW2…^^

+1, agree with this, I was just stating that time-wise max rank took a long time in gw1.

But as you said, rank actually meant that you won X matches in a competitive tournament setting, and not that you just played hotjoins a lot.

Piken Square

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

I think this is a little misleading. Bad players will not gain as many points as a good player even in hotjoin. They get 30 points for winning and the rest is based on their performance. The other issue I have is that while HA rank did indeed mean something, it also lead to a massive issue with entry into PvP. Seeing messages like r3++, r6++, ect were common place, and teams which had any chance to really gain rank with any sort of speed where those teams. That is not inviting to a new player as they are now either with other new players or possibly bad players which, unless they are lucky and play a team of equal standing, will then be matched against one of those r3/6++ teams which due to experience will win 9 times out of 10.

That is why the current system was implemented. Players who may not get a chance to join a team due to rank can still work towards getting better even though they lose.

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

If your only motivation of gaining rank is to look cool and be able to wear different armors, you don’t need rank 80 for that. Gem store will be updated constantly with cool, flashy gear that you can simply purchase and convert to PvP.

Rank is a measurement of time spent playing PvP; that’s all it is. If it takes 19 years to reach rank 80, then by reaching rank 80, people can clearly and irrefutably see “wow that guy has been playing PvP for 19 years”. That’s all rank is worth.

in PvP

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

PvP ranks need reworking, as do WvW achievements. Anet made them both extremely hard to get. I somewhat understand why, to draw out rewards as much as possible, but I see what they did as just a band-aid fix.

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

PvP ranks need reworking, as do WvW achievements. Anet made them both extremely hard to get. I somewhat understand why, to draw out rewards as much as possible, but I see what they did as just a band-aid fix.

And what does rank really mean to you? The rewards are kinda useless as they are purely skins, but is it the exclusivity of those skins that bothers you? Besides thakittens really a number and a title (though the fact the number and the title dont line up is extremely annoying).

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

leaderboard is measure of played skill

rank is a measure of played volume

why would you factor skill in rank? what’s the point of having a second copy of leaderboard. both stats are of some interest and its helpful that both are available.

having rank stat available for prolonged play from the very start is much more fun then what other mmo’s are doing, raising cap each time they need to recycle the game and stimulate tired excitement. when reaching that original milestone, it will feel like something. and not that it’s depriving anything before you reach it, its just a measure, and a long one, as measure should be.

god give endurance to dev team. heaven’s a witness, they have a tough crowd to satisfy.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

I don’t mind challenges, and I like working hard for something and obtaining it that not everyone can get, its what makes competitive games shine. I am rank 41, as well and I know the reward system is being addressed soon so I won’t keep the broken record spinning but dang… Really wish It felt like I accomplished something at each rank up.. Like was previously mentioned above most of the unique and detailed armores are received at much higher ranks which I’m not 100% against.. I just wish there was better ways to earn items and rewards and titles than just.. Grinding those mindless hot joins, or playing thousands of tournaments just for a title.. Then salvaging the thousands of items you already have hundreds of.. Until all the reagents from PvP items start backing up into your bags and you have nothing else to spend them on but Unidentified Dyes…

Currently both the rank and leader board system does not directly correlate to any kind of prowess in Player verse Player environments. Simply time invested, or games exploited.

-Imagine a day where you could look at your PvP achievements and see stuff like this:
•"I ment to do that" Have an opponent die from fall damage. 67% complete. Reward: Amazingly awesome PvP weapon ticket.
•"Down but not out" Capture a point while in downed state. 53% completed. Reward: Super bodacious PvP armor ticket.
•"Ultimatum" Finish an opponent within 10 seconds after they activate their Ultimate. 39% complete. Reward: Some sweet unique Finisher.

These weapon/armor PvP tickets could have different teired vendors.

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

(edited by Wolf.5816)

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Farming /rank in HoH didn’t require skill. It required: IWAY, Air/Rainbow/Blood Spike, ViM, Spiritway, Fireballway, or Hamstorm.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

rank is a measure of played volume

why would you factor skill in rank? what’s the point of having a second copy of leaderboard. both stats are of some interest and its helpful that both are available.

having rank stat available for prolonged play from the very start is much more fun then what other mmo’s are doing, raising cap each time they need to recycle the game and stimulate tired excitement. when reaching that original milestone, it will feel like something. and not that it’s depriving anything before you reach it, its just a measure, and a long one, as measure should be.

god give endurance to dev team. heaven’s a witness, they have a tough crowd to satisfy.

I agree with this, but the huge problem is the rewards. Lets make a comparison.

Number 1 player on the leaderboard. What does he get? Nothing, sure he gets the prestige of being the “best”, but that’s it

Lets look at the first person to get to 80. Title, finisher, and armor/weapons nobody else has.

Honestly which one would be rather have? If tpvp and leaderboards had better rewards I’d think everyone would be happy.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Honestly which one would be rather have? If tpvp and leaderboards had better rewards I’d think everyone would be happy.

Add a leaderboard rank finisher and gold tri… I mean title.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

Lets look at the first person to get to 80. Title, finisher, and armor/weapons nobody else has.

if you mean to bring gear progression and worse yet, make it rating dependent – that would be the end of “skills only” gw2 pvp, one of the games brightest spots imo.

as for gimmicky rewards (titles, “i turned the game” badge, purple armor, etc) – i dont care. whoever cares, i wish devs would grant those, just to hear this whining over.

in PvP

Posted by: Wreckdum.8367

Wreckdum.8367

The goal is not to reach the max rank, it’s the journey to it.

And currently the journey is boring and tedious.

Rex Smashington – 80 Norn Warrior <Tyrians United Retard Division> Yak’s Bend
“That big kitten Norn with The Juggernaut”

in PvP

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

If you call 4 people playing IWAY 18 hours a day skill. For that matter it’s questionable whether HA ever required skill…..

the leaderboard isn’t a measure of skill…it’s just a measure of how often you played tPvP with a full premade rather than solo queue.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I think this is a little misleading. Bad players will not gain as many points as a good player even in hotjoin. They get 30 points for winning and the rest is based on their performance. The other issue I have is that while HA rank did indeed mean something, it also lead to a massive issue with entry into PvP. Seeing messages like r3++, r6++, ect were common place, and teams which had any chance to really gain rank with any sort of speed where those teams. That is not inviting to a new player as they are now either with other new players or possibly bad players which, unless they are lucky and play a team of equal standing, will then be matched against one of those r3/6++ teams which due to experience will win 9 times out of 10.

That is why the current system was implemented. Players who may not get a chance to join a team due to rank can still work towards getting better even though they lose.

The formula should be: Rewarding Tournament-play more than hotjoin-zerging. Casuals can still rank up through hotjoin, but it doesn’t create that “I play more hotjoin than a tournament-player and have the higher rank” issue we have now.
You can do that either with a point-limit per match, giving more than 200 points per Tournament-win or give progressive points for consecutive wins. It’s too easy.

This would not kill the casual population, but will help the competitive scene to actually feel rewarded and give an incentive to them for spending hours and hours in strats and other stuff. As A-Net need too long to realize they created a broken title, they should introduce a new one. Something like the champion titles from GW1, where you only get points for it over a certain rating.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Farming /rank in HoH didn’t require skill. It required: IWAY, Air/Rainbow/Blood Spike, ViM, Spiritway, Fireballway, or Hamstorm.

And still the most successfull ppl were balance-players. So what? Sure build-abusing in HA was a problem, I have to agree. But in GW2 you can’t abuse certain setups to win. There is no such thing like B-Spike and would never happen.
Now the problem is hotjoin instead of build-abusing. For me it’s worse, because it’s easier to win against IWAY than having a higher rank compared to a 24/7-hotjoiner.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Eventine.8024

Eventine.8024

So the problem is that the rank-earned system must be changed in a way that reward better players, instead of farmer ones.
And I compleatly agree with you when you say that Leaderboard reflect how many times a player enters with Solo-Q.
To train my pgs I often go Solo-Q, and try, with a pug-team, to win despite all, the match. And so I’m at 94%. ANet Should create 2 types of tourn, the first with 2 teams, and the second, the one that is important for leaderboard, 8-teams, like before, with the impossibility of making solo-Q, or half roster for the 8-teams-tourn.
Then I suppose that the Rank’s evolution (although it really needs some edit), and the WvWvW’s Achievements, are made this way because ANet thought that people will continue to play GW2 for years. I’m completly agree with them, and I’ll continue to play. I only made this post trying to find other ways to wear nicer armors.

Eventine

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

To train my pgs I often go Solo-Q, and try, with a pug-team, to win despite all, the match. And so I’m at 94%.

That’s why soloQ in its state is unrewarding and frustrating. You basically get nothing from it. Unfair matches against premades, mmr completely messed up and basically no rank progression. Then you look at the skillless hotjoiner which farmed his shark and searching for r60+ pugs. As you can’t either proove your skill through the leaderboard (because it is not splitted), this must be a reason to quit for many.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: bud.9246

bud.9246

Just last night I played in a match were our team had the top 3 or 4 scorers and yet lost by over 100 pts – to me this is sad =(

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

If you call 4 people playing IWAY 18 hours a day skill. For that matter it’s questionable whether HA ever required skill…..

the leaderboard isn’t a measure of skill…it’s just a measure of how often you played tPvP with a full premade rather than solo queue.

+1
You could be the best thief but if all you do is solo que you wont have such a high ranking.

Think of it like this, Lebron James solo que’d with clevland, he never won any titles. Then he got offered to a premade and become part of the big 3, and guess what, hes winning titles now.

With premade when you got people complementing you so it works out great also with people being on voice as well, however in broken matchmaking system solo que, where it pits 5 thieves together, your not going to win anything with that and also when it has a no show or a rank 1 on your team as well.

If your trying to rank up though, don’t do it through tournaments because there are 2 downfalls.
1. You gain xp slower in tournament play
2. Xp from win reward doesn’t count to titles such as gladiator, mercenary, avenger, ransacker, maurder, ravager, etc.

Someone who is a hotjoin hero and they never do tournaments will get ransacker at rank 39, if you do nothing but tournaments you will become ransacker at rank 49 if you won all your tpvp games and if you won 50% of them you’ll be rank 44 before you get ransacker title. That’s considering that you averaged out 100 glory per game.

So if your after titles such as Mist Walker, just don’t play Tpvp until they address this issue where the extra 200 glory doesn’t count from the match win reward. When they had bonus of 600, you’d be rank 53 if you won 50% of your games before you’d have gotten ransacker title.

This is why hotjoin heroes are in ranks 60 and very very few tpvp/leaderboard players are in 60s while vast majority leaderboard players are in 40s and 50s. Theres only like 1 or 2 tpvp’ers that I think are in rank 60s but theres a handful of hotjoin heroes I know are in rank 60 and close to rank 70.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)