Shatter mesmers working as intended?

in PvP

Posted by: sami.3801

sami.3801

As I can see mesmers have a limit of 3 copies at the same time, but they are able to shatter up to 6. Why the 3 copies limit is not applied?

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

As I can see mesmers have a limit of 3 copies at the same time, but they are able to shatter up to 6. Why the 3 copies limit is not applied?

How did you come to this conclusion? I have yet to see more than 3 clones/phantasms out at any given time from 1 mesmer.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

I’m pretty sure its not possible to shatter more than 3 at the same time. You could in theory shatter 3, then summon another 3 very quickly with insta-cast abilities then use a different shatter to shatter them as well, which might be what you’re seeing.

in PvP

Posted by: EatThisShoe.5136

EatThisShoe.5136

There is a trait that causes the shatter effect around the mesmer as well, so you can get 4x shatter. In addition there is a trait and a signet that can recharge all shatters so they could in theory do 2-3 Mind Wracks back to back assuming they can summon enough clones.

in PvP

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

There is a trait that causes the shatter effect around the mesmer as well, so you can get 4x shatter. In addition there is a trait and a signet that can recharge all shatters so they could in theory do 2-3 Mind Wracks back to back assuming they can summon enough clones.

Illusionary Persona is the trait. Its a Grandmaster in the Illusion Tree, which also gives access to a trait that refreshes all Shatters once you’re HP hits 50%.

I’m pretty sure that’s what the mesmer was doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

When a Mesmer casts a Shatter skill, all existing Illusions (i.e. the Illusions being Shattered) stop counting towards the Illusion limit. This allows the Mesmer to conjure new Illusions without replacing any of the Shattering Illusions.

in PvP

sami.3801

When a Mesmer casts a Shatter skill, all existing Illusions (i.e. the Illusions being Shattered) stop counting towards the Illusion limit. This allows the Mesmer to conjure new Illusions without replacing any of the Shattering Illusions.

Exactly. What I want to know if this behaviour is intended or not. Perhaps new clones must be in cd until old ones explode. 6 copies chasing you it’s dumb.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I suspect it’s intended. Once the mesmer hits shatter the clones are essentially projectiles that home in on the target to deliver the selected skill, the mesmer has no further control of them.

Preventing the mesmer using any phantasm skills until the projectiles hit home would be very unfair on them, no other class has to “wait” for a projectile attack to land before they can resume using their relevant skills again. Many classes can set up a projectile combo so multiple hits land simultaneously

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in PvP

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

Yeah this garbage mechanic makes any noob such a deadly duelist. Seems like this is the only build people run with in PvP it’s all illusion spamming and Mind Wracks. This needs to stop 3 illusion is 3 illusions no matter if it’s casted or not. Oh and I play Mesmer too.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

I suspect it’s intended. Once the mesmer hits shatter the clones are essentially projectiles that home in on the target to deliver the selected skill, the mesmer has no further control of them.

Preventing the mesmer using any phantasm skills until the projectiles hit home would be very unfair on them, no other class has to “wait” for a projectile attack to land before they can resume using their relevant skills again. Many classes can set up a projectile combo so multiple hits land simultaneously

Shattering illusions is not a projectile, thats like saying popping a bone minion is a projectile.

If the illusion is “in flight” it is still around, and should not be considered shattered yet. I certainly hope this was not intended.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

as far as i remember until illusions shatter (aka explode) they still count as active illusions.
more details about your experience may be usefull.

in PvP

Posted by: Birdrock.1697

Birdrock.1697

Yeah this garbage mechanic makes any noob such a deadly duelist. Seems like this is the only build people run with in PvP it’s all illusion spamming and Mind Wracks. This needs to stop 3 illusion is 3 illusions no matter if it’s casted or not. Oh and I play Mesmer too.

Randomly claiming to play a profession you are whining about isn’t very credible. Additionally, your grasp of the mechanics doesn’t appear strong.

Shattering illusions is not a projectile, thats like saying popping a bone minion is a projectile.

If the illusion is “in flight” it is still around, and should not be considered shattered yet. I certainly hope this was not intended.

The problem is that these projectiles are the slowest in the game. A player cannot outrun the ranged attack of another profession. A player CAN outrun an illusion that has been commanded to shatter. If illusions still counted until they actually shattered, rather than initiated the shatter process, the entire mesmer profession mechanic could be entirely disabled by the target player simply kiting the illusions around. In order to prevent this, illusions no longer count toward the limit if they have been commanded to shatter. It is still one of the most telegraphed attacks in the game. If you would like them to still count until they actually dissipate, the run speed of shatter activated illusions needs to be vastly increased – perhaps to standard projectile speed.

in PvP

sami.3801

You can strafe many projectiles and you can dodge them, but dodge 6 simultaneous shatters is nearly impossible. Many times even if you dodge they change their path and chase you.
If they shatter the copies far from you they can be slow, but at mid range they’re not.

in PvP

Posted by: kaplis.7195

kaplis.7195

“Preventing the mesmer using any phantasm skills until the projectiles hit home would be very unfair on them, no other class has to “wait” for a projectile attack to land before they can resume using their relevant skills again."

actually this is true for elementalists Scepter Water 2nd attack – Shatterstone which is BEYOND STUPID

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

You can strafe many projectiles and you can dodge them, but dodge 6 simultaneous shatters is nearly impossible. Many times even if you dodge they change their path and chase you.
If they shatter the copies far from you they can be slow, but at mid range they’re not.

The illusions run at the same speed at all times. At long range, simply turn and run and they won’t get to you. At medium range, run toward them and dodge through them. They will shatter and you will dodge, taking no ill effects. At point blank, it is like any other instant attack.

In order to generate 2 sets of 3 illusions and to have all of them up and chasing for a shatter, in a reasonable time, the mesmer would need to execute the no fewer than 7 actions. This is including Mirror Images, which generates 2 clones. If both of these are to be mind wracks, Signet of Illusions must be used, bringing it to 8 separate actions.

Further, the mesmer loses the damage caused by the attacks of the illusions as soon as the shatter command is executed; depending upon spec, the mesmer may lose a significant portion of their own damage, mitigation, and secondary effects.

More food for thought: mesmers have traits to apply effects on shatter and on death for illusions. While shattering clearly kills the illusion, on death effects do not apply.

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

“Preventing the mesmer using any phantasm skills until the projectiles hit home would be very unfair on them, no other class has to “wait” for a projectile attack to land before they can resume using their relevant skills again."

actually this is true for elementalists Scepter Water 2nd attack – Shatterstone which is BEYOND STUPID

It is also true for the entire mesmer scepter 1 chain.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Agree heck necros cant even blow up our two bone minions at the same time there is a stupid delay on blowing up the seconds one.. more times then not the second one dies before the delay is up and it can be exploded.

But mesmer is the chosen class all the tools and power with no drawback. Reason why its such a popular class in Tpvp and Spvp

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

Agree heck necros cant even blow up our two bone minions at the same time there is a stupid delay on blowing up the seconds one.. more times then not the second one dies before the delay is up and it can be exploded.

But mesmer is the chosen class all the tools and power with no drawback. Reason why its such a popular class in Tpvp and Spvp

Having a delay in triggering your second explosion doesn’t stop the rest of your minions AND death shroud from functioning. What you are suggesting would be tantamount to the same thing.

Stop being so dramatic and hyperbolic. Try playing a mesmer. You’ll find things aren’t exactly what you think they are. Or don’t, and continue complaining. It’s clear you don’t understand the mechanics of the mesmer profession, but it isn’t worth it to try to educate someone who is willfully ignorant.

Working as intended, as I explained.

in PvP

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

You can block them. They are projectiles. The person you quoted explained it all.

When you see 3 clones/phantasms charging you while 3 more start as well, start dodging or using a block skill.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

in PvP

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

That isn’t the same thing. The Bone Minion is one skill. It is not locking down other skills.

The Mesmer Clones/Phantasms are all on Cooldowns. And the Shatters are all on Cooldowns.

So 6 clones coming at someone means the Mesmer used up a lot of skills to summon 3, and 1 shatter, 3 more clone skills, and another shatter. They simply unloaded everything all at once, and you won’t see them spam that again a second time. It’s all on cooldown.

You can Necro focus stun them, then unload with your Staff. You have the same ability to burst.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

in PvP

Xom.9264

Having a delay in triggering your second explosion doesn’t stop the rest of your minions AND death shroud from functioning.

Yeah it does I death shroud and i can no longer explode the minion…. If I have to go into deathshroud my bone minion will be dead before i get out to explode it 90% of the time. Oh and I actually have to look where the minions are at and hope the attack what I want them to… I can just hit a single key and have them explode or even attack the target i want. Mesmers have other skills to use besides clone spam/shatter… I know you never needed to learn about using these other skills because you have no reason to put effort into playing like some classed do, easymode burst combo needs a nerf. Burst with an ele and tell me mesmers are not broken easy.

On a side note, you must be mistaking me for someone else, I play a Necro everything about mesmers clones/phantoms and traits that buff them are easymode to the extream.

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

Having a delay in triggering your second explosion doesn’t stop the rest of your minions AND death shroud from functioning.

Yeah it does I death shroud and i can no longer explode the minion…. If I have to go into deathshroud my bone minion will be dead before i get out to explode it 90% of the time. Oh and I actually have to look where the minions are at and hope the attack what I want them to… I can just hit a single key and have them explode or even attack the target i want. Mesmers have other skills to use besides clone spam/shatter… I know you never needed to learn about using these other skills because you have no reason to put effort into playing like some classed do, easymode burst combo needs a nerf. Burst with an ele and tell me mesmers are not broken easy.

On a side note, you must be mistaking me for someone else, I play a Necro everything about mesmers clones/phantoms and traits that buff them are easymode to the extream.

So the rest of your minions completely stop functioning after you explode the first bone minion and you are unable to enter death shroud as well? Because that is the parallel.

Pro tip: Don’t make foolish assumptions.I don’t play a shatter centric build. Keep ranting about how you think mesmers are the easiest profession to play while simultaneously not making the slightest effort at trying one to learn about the profession mechanics. If you did, you might find you are incorrect; keep that head in the sand.

Your side note doesn’t even make sense. How about this for an aside: are your minion summons able to be dodged, blocked, or fail because of blind or LOS? Didn’t think so.

(edited by Birdrock.1697)

in PvP

Xom.9264

So the rest of your minions completely stop functioning after you explode the first bone minion and you are unable to enter death shroud as well? Because that is the parallel.

Pro tip: Don’t make foolish assumptions.I don’t play a shatter centric build. Keep ranting about how you think mesmers are the easiest profession to play while simultaneously not making the slightest effort at trying one to learn about the profession mechanics. If you did, you might find you are incorrect; keep that head in the sand.

Your side note doesn’t even make sense. How about this for an aside: are your minion summons able to be dodged, blocked, or fail because of blind or LOS? Didn’t think so.

There is a good chance my minions are not doing anything inthe first place and are just watching me fight. Thats why you dont see MM in pvp I dont have a trait that lets me instantly recast and spike with boneminions again anyway.

We should be comparing the Mesmers burst to the other burst cloth caster not the necro.

Ele burst vs Mes burst. Lets keep it simple.

You dont see eles speced burst in Tpvp or even Spvp heck you dont even see that many eles to begin with.
You see millions mesmers and they are all spected shatter burst.

Population levels are not even close ele burst is not viable and necro does not even have burst.

Mesmer burst OP and easy to play, if it was hard or balance you would not see so many mesmers the numbers of Mes Ele Necro would be closer to the same in spvp tpvp.

(edited by Xom.9264)

in PvP

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Haven’t read all replies, just in case it hasn’t been said yet:

Clones that are tasked to shatter no longer count towards the amount of clones the mesmer has in the world, even if they are still running to their target to shatter.
This means a mesmer can start generating new clones while the old ones are still running to their target to shatter. Note that at the mesmers end the illusions counter doesn’t update until the clones physically shatter (kind of an annoyance)

For example I’ve had cases where I’ve been on the chase with my mesmer and had a horde of 8 clones running towards a target, 6 of them running to shatter, or two three clone shatters.

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

Mesmer burst OP and easy to play, if it was hard or balance you would not see so many mesmers the numbers of Mes Ele Necro would be closer to the same in spvp tpvp.

The reason you see so many mesmers is two fold. First, mesmers have a incredible kit that is flexible for dealing with varied threats. Most importantly, mesmers have several stun breaks available. This makes a glass cannon somewhat viable.

Second, people keep complaining about something about mesmers without understanding the mechanics. Many try it and fail miserably, but a few enjoy it and continue playing.

Mesmers are strong, but the burst available is less significant than you make it out to be. You are making the mistake of thinking every mesmer has the same spec; if they take every trait for mind wrack, they’ll hit hard with that but be pathetic everywhere else. A full glass cannon will hurt. Just like any other profession.

Protip: only 3 mesmer abilities can summon an illusion of a mesmer is blinded or you block or dodge. Mirror Images, Decoy, and Deceptive Evasion. So you can the initial summon or dodge the shatter. I have never had problems doing this. I don’t run a shatter build, and actually crush them.

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I came across a Mesmer last night who’s clones & illusions were able to chase me over and around terrain at the same pace as me with my swiftness up. Any idea how that happens? I thought maybe he sat in his timewarp shelling out AI and trying to shatter while I was kiting his illusions/clones trying to avoid the shatter, but I’m not sure . I thought I had outlasted the timewarp haste since I counted to 10 and made my way back to him to try keep contesting the node, only to have him actually drop the timewarp, stun, and burst me down behind that lolinvul blurred frenzy.

The whole thing smelled fishy to me as I’ve never before seen this from a mesmer. Not to mention the fact that he dropped a Moa on me only a few moments previous. I didn’t want to call it a hack, but it definitely seemed odd. When I commented on all the haste he just gave me a “<3”.

Just curious if there’s something that give clones/illusions that kind of swiftness or if Timewarp can let them put out perpetual shatters to keep them moving that fast and tracking the target.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Birdrock.1697

Two possibilities come to mind. Was he using a focus? If he put Temporal Curtain down, all illusions that ran through it would gain swiftness for 10 seconds. Another possibility is a full set of Superior Runes of the Centaur. If the mesmer used a heal near the illusions, they would gain swiftness for 10 seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

There is a good chance my minions are not doing anything inthe first place and are just watching me fight. Thats why you dont see MM in pvp I dont have a trait that lets me instantly recast and spike with boneminions again anyway.

We should be comparing the Mesmers burst to the other burst cloth caster not the necro.

Ele burst vs Mes burst. Lets keep it simple.

You dont see eles speced burst in Tpvp or even Spvp heck you dont even see that many eles to begin with.
You see millions mesmers and they are all spected shatter burst.

Population levels are not even close ele burst is not viable and necro does not even have burst.

So , do you understand why not many people play burst elementalist?

Its kittening hard.
Learning to play an ele is hard, frustrating, and not that rewarding vs that of a thief, warrior, ranger, mesmer or even the easy lol i can give you 20 stacks of bleed in 3 seconds necro.
Compare the mesmer burst to a warrior’s, or thief’s.
Play a mesmer and learn what they actually do instead of cry wolf.
Maybe then you’ll learn the real problem with them.
It’ll suprise you how much easier mesmers are to deal with when you learn your class and theirs.

P.S. I dont get why people feel they need to cry on the forums still.

Has anet not made it clear they dont listen to hyperbole and will fix things at their pace.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: Chriswck.6490

Chriswck.6490

Randomly claiming to play a profession you are whining about isn’t very credible. Additionally, your grasp of the mechanics doesn’t appear strong.

The problem is that these projectiles are the slowest in the game. A player cannot outrun the ranged attack of another profession. A player CAN outrun an illusion that has been commanded to shatter. If illusions still counted until they actually shattered, rather than initiated the shatter process, the entire mesmer profession mechanic could be entirely disabled by the target player simply kiting the illusions around. In order to prevent this, illusions no longer count toward the limit if they have been commanded to shatter. It is still one of the most telegraphed attacks in the game. If you would like them to still count until they actually dissipate, the run speed of shatter activated illusions needs to be vastly increased – perhaps to standard projectile speed.

^That

If they still count, then the effects will have to be near-instant. Which, playing against a memser, we would not like.