SoloQ is a terrible experience

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

SoloQ is a terrible playing experience.
Most people play it like hotjoin, very few people bother defending the points, a lot of people fight outside of points and many play brain afk. To top it off people all ignore your advices to increase chances for winning and instead call you bad names.

So please change the dailies to win 8 any tPvP games, so I can skip this terrible experience and do TeamQ exclusively.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

And again….

People if you don’t like SoloQ don’t do it.

Don’t do dailies, I don’t and I’m happy.

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

I have to do the dailies, I am ranked 34 EU in achievements and intend to keep my rank or even improve it. I dont understand why we are forced into playing tournaments with random people.

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

I have to do the dailies, I am ranked 34 EU in achievements and intend to keep my rank or even improve it. I dont understand why we are forced into playing tournaments with random people.

Again dude, you aren’t being forced to do anything you don’t want to do.
You don’t have to do dailies, there isn’t anyone telling you to do them or die.

From what I’ve read, you wanna do dailies to maintain your rank, then you have to do a decision, keep doing SoloQ for your selfish wish or stop doing them and get fun.
But I repeat, nobody is forcing you to do SoloQ, it’s up to you.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Actually he is. Achievements are there so extreme grinders can have something to do every day.
Arena.net is clearly trying to get more people into pvp by giving rewards and achievements, forcing achievement grinders to play more than ten games per day so they can get the achievements. When compared to the pve dailies it takes a lot more time.
I don’t think that pve players and achievement grinders will make spvp any better, but atleast it doesn’t have the previous extremely low playerbase, now is just a low playerbase.

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

Giving up on dailies means giving up on playing the game to me. I achieved everything else in the game, I got all miniatures, emperor title, all legendaries I like, wvw rank ~500, pvp rank 45 etc. I am closing in to 5000 hours \age.
Considering the shallow living story and no expansions in sight dailies are the only thing which keep me logging in every day.

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Actually he is.

Actually, he’s not. This is a game, not survival after a nuclear war.

He chooses to engage in a meaningless grind to maintain his meaningless place on a meaningless leaderboard. That means doing whatever meaningless grindy tasks the game imposes.

He can choose to get off the hamster wheel whenever he wants.

in PvP

Posted by: Silentshoes.1805

Silentshoes.1805

There is something disturbing to me about a person accepting a completely made-up set of achievements in a commercial game as an actual real-life achievement.

What if a some business entity asked you to walk backwards in the rain for 1,250 days when the temperature was less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit holding their product in your hands, and if you could prove it, they would put your name on a website saying you did it.

Would you do it and feel that you had accomplished something significant?

What else could you be doing with some of that time? Could you be improving the world in some small way? Helping fix some sort of real-world problem that causes pain or discomfort for innocent people somewhere?

The Alien (condi necro),That Wreckin Crew (Mesmer)
Silentshoes (Thief), Wind of the Woods (condi ranger)

(edited by Silentshoes.1805)

in PvP

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

What else could you be doing with your time? Could you be improving the world in some small way?

Probably yes, he could. Nice post btw, really deep, it’s actually so deep it feels out of place on this forum.

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

Not that there isn’t a place for recreation and games. Even a lot of recreation and games. But sometimes I just wonder about the sheer amount of hours of a finite lifespan that are devoted…

in PvP

Posted by: Shinoobi.1259

Shinoobi.1259

This sounds really stressful for you. I would also not do them. It’s 1-2 less achievement points per day.

So Butter So Fly – Mesmer
Bossy B – Elementalist
Pocket Rot- Necro

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

I think it’s a dangerous road to go down when we start judging people and how they spend their time doing this or that. There are a LOT of people who would judge every single one of us negatively for playing GW2 at all.

But there’s a big difference between someone who chooses to play a game a lot because they like it and someone who feels compelled to grind the same things every day despite not even enjoying the process. Some of these achievement-obsessors have been in here constantly since these new dailies came in asking for them to be removed or changed because they seem incapable of saying to themselves: “hey, this isn’t fun, maybe I should find something in the game that’s fun rather than doing this, or try a different game?”

There was one thread a week or two ago where some guy was talking about getting his girlfriend to grind AP for him and how it was causing problems in his relationship. I mean really, if that’s not a wake-up call, what would be?

The “achievement leaderboard” is part of the problem. Removing it would be a boon for all concerned, most especially including all the people at the top of it.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Adding the wins to the dailies was a bad idea. If anything it should be 1 win of each

in PvP

Silentshoes.1805

It’s the lack of enjoyment that is the red flag, as far as I am concerned. When that is happening, something else is going on other than recreation.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Get better, get higher ranked, get teamed with good players → fun games.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

Adding the wins to the dailies was a bad idea. If anything it should be 1 win of each

What you fail to understand is that these were not added to the PvP daily so that PvE grinders could farm another 4 easy AP per day.

They were added to give real PvPers some small additional reward for the significant time they invest in PvP every day.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

If you’re not enjoying the game, then stop playing. By the way it sounds, you aren’t. You just play to grind. I know I play a lot, but 5000 hours? That’s almost 10 hours per day since launch.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I love solo queue. There’s a kind of challenge in trying to see who can help out their noobs the best. Apart from the occasional skyhammer 5-troll vs. 5-troll match and of course the occasional 4v5, my experiences have been generally great.

It’s almost better balanced than team queue, in a way. The possibilities of voip coordination make bunker guardians and spirit rangers a 100% necessity in team queue as far as I can tell. (Warriors are necessary just because they’re so powerful; guards and rangers are good because of that downed state control). In solo queue, the importance of crucial builds like that is nominal because of the low coordination and lower overall skill. The apex predator builds of team queue are no better than any good solo artist build when in solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Asahi.1487

Asahi.1487

Make some friends and play team arena, it is a big improvement from the fail that is soloq. Or you can always soloq the team arena.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Everyone’s missing the point. MMOs are specifically designed to cater to the obsessive types. Telling us to “stop grinding” is kittened because that’s why we play. It’s the sole purpose of GW2. Everyone has different definitions of fun and I find it amusing to see people tell others what the “right type” of fun is.

This is an MMO. Grind is the raison d’etre. Get used to that idea.

in PvP

Posted by: DuranArgith.1354

DuranArgith.1354

You guys were warned about the skill level drop in soloq when Daily PVP achievements were introduced in the long time ago locked and buried (and possibly deleted) pvp dailies threads. You argued against us Ap hunters, so now you pay the price.

I have long stopped even caring or playing soloq. I suggest you do the same.

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

It is a terrible experience indeed. The only thing to make it a bit more fun is playing builds u are having fun with, ignoring the ladder and having team chat off.

Beside the afking part, it’s filled with people that have the worst attitude when u say something that is actually a good advice.
I admit i raged alot in Soloq, but when you just want to play but having so many trouble in Soloq with different aspects, It’s really hard not to flame.

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

I love solo queue. There’s a kind of challenge in trying to see who can help out their noobs the best.

LOL. Elitist, but probably accurate.

On the weekend, my team turned around a 150 pt deficit in Skyham after I ‘asked’ them to stop zerging between points like a hotjoin and bunker. And yes, I’m totally claiming that.

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

I love solo queue. There’s a kind of challenge in trying to see who can help out their noobs the best.

LOL. Elitist, but probably accurate.

On the weekend, my team turned around a 150 pt deficit in Skyham after I ‘asked’ them to stop zerging between points like a hotjoin and bunker. And yes, I’m totally claiming that.

Well he was 11th on the leaderboard today :P

I really love how all of the achievement farmers complain about the extra 4 points a day that they are “missing” out on. There is no obligation, no “achievement” in this game is even worth mentioning, even my gwamm title was 100% grind, maybe if they add hard pve or a more competitive pvp scene emerges then there will be something to brag about, but for now it is all so trivial.

in PvP

DuranArgith.1354

ap hunters do not compain about the 4 extra ap they complain about the time needed to get those 4 extra ap. Its a big difference.

Lets make it fair, every pvp player should require 4 hours in pve a day else he drops ranks from the pvp leaderboard. Sounds good right?

Right.

in PvP

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

Lets make it fair, every pvp player should require 4 hours in pve a day else he drops ranks from the pvp leaderboard. Sounds good right?

Right.

Wrong.

Achievements and achievement leader boards aren’t exclusive to PvE since you can get AP’s by doing pretty much anything in the game, and that includes both PvP and WvW.
So, no, that wouldn’t be fair at all.

in PvP

DuranArgith.1354

Freelancer, with the low amount of ap you get from pvp, I’d say yes, the ap leaderboards are actually pve exclusive.

Also, the issue still stands.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

There’s an issue, but it’s with a small number of people who have lost perspective on both the game and life, not with GW2.

in PvP

DuranArgith.1354

And that small number of people are still more than the active pvp players…

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

No, they really aren’t. It’s basically about a dozen people in here constantly with the same complaints over and over again.

Even if it were more of them, it wouldn’t matter, because their complaint is invalid. It is not reasonable and not fair to have game decisions based on the demands of people who have turned it into a job and then demand that the “job” be made easier.

Nobody cares about your “rank” on a “leaderboard” that measures only how many hours you spend grinding meaningless tasks. Do them or don’t do them, but stop expecting the 99.99% of the rest of the game to have to change to deal with your lack of self control.

If anything should be removed from the game, it should be the achievement “leaderboard” itself, since it serves no purpose other than to encourage this dysfunctional behavior.

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

Can we get back to the topic about SoloQ being a terrible experience? The sense or nonsense of my achievement collecting obsession is not main aspect of this thread.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

But what is there to talk about? The problems with solo queue have been hashed and rehashed a zillion times. We’d all like to see them addressed, but we have no power to do that. Only Arenanet does.

There are only two options: deal with them or do something else. Some people don’t mind the problems that much and so they keep doing solo queue; others hate them and so avoid it.

Choose one or the other, but please stop pretending you don’t have that choice. You do, just like everyone else.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

No, they really aren’t. It’s basically about a dozen people in here constantly with the same complaints over and over again.

Even if it were more of them, it wouldn’t matter, because their complaint is invalid. It is not reasonable and not fair to have game decisions based on the demands of people who have turned it into a job and then demand that the “job” be made easier.

Nobody cares about your “rank” on a “leaderboard” that measures only how many hours you spend grinding meaningless tasks. Do them or don’t do them, but stop expecting the 99.99% of the rest of the game to have to change to deal with your lack of self control.

If anything should be removed from the game, it should be the achievement “leaderboard” itself, since it serves no purpose other than to encourage this dysfunctional behavior.

That “dysfunctional behavior” is the sole reason to play the game for many, many people. It is after all, an MMO.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

biggest problem is arenanet dont care or listen – they even ignore us

in PvP

Posted by: Forz.1725

Forz.1725

Honestly, this whole “solo que fiasco” is hilarious to me. Before the rewards patch, many people were complaining about the lack of players to play against and being placed against high ranked players that turned a match into a farm-fest. Now after the rewards patch, we have many more players to play with, but these players are lacking the experience to make the “veteran” players happy.

In reality, if you are trying to be competitive you should make a team and go into the team que pool and see how “skilled” you think you are. Until then, play the casual training wheels mode that Anet has provided that is known as solo que and bring the new players up to speed on how to play.

The only way for these new players to get better is by playing. Just accept that you will be placed with noobies once in a while and you will lose games every now and then.

It will be okay, your girlfriend left you anyways.

Elementalist – Pancake Tragedy

(edited by Forz.1725)

in PvP

Posted by: Blacknasty.3641

Blacknasty.3641

Call me stupid for trying to say something positive on the forums, but…

I like how hot joins / solo q’s and team arena are evolving. Typically, I’m a solo queue type of person, but will hot join to test silly builds or sometimes team queue with friends. In my mind, each of the 3 queues have their own persona.

Hot Join: Zerg fest, that sometimes I like. It’s like death waves of enemies. Start out at one, maybe two, then see how long you can last against 3 or 4. While they aren’t always a win, it can really test your reflexes to recognize which classes you are going against, counters, dodges, line of sight, etc.. Honestly though, sometimes I hop in hot joins while watching a movie >.< Mindlessly pressing buttons while testing out weird build ideas or stat combos. A win or loss in hot join just doesn’t really mean all that much. ( to me )

Team Queue: Fast paced, team cooperation. VoIP helps a ton. Can be super frustrating in their losses, but very rewarding in their wins. Definitely team building, selective roles, and game plans. In my opinion, I do think that in order to team queue that you should have a party of 2 or more. Mainly because A ) it detracts from the actual teams that want good matches, not just a bunch of pugs, and B ) it just makes sense, if you are join as a solo player then you should be in solo queue.

Solo Queue: This is where I spend most of my time. A couple of randoms might recognize my <insert color here > nasty tag. I practically live there. I believe that individual play the stronger focus as opposed to team play. Now before you get your panties in a knot, there is definitely team play in a solo queue, but as we have all played these maps countless times…smart solo play should recognize the mini map, realize where action is needed and still function as a team despite the lack of voice comms. Hot joins make evident to me how much these pvp maps were made with 5v5 in mind. ( 8v8 can be a bit of a kitten show >.< ) Therefore, I find myself preferring 5v5 and solo q.

I’ve been playing guild wars 2 since the first beta event, and I still really like the pvp. When people talk about balance, it takes me back to early vanilla wow pvp. So many glaring disparities between classes and limited builds, but to me it was fun. There is something about taking a build that is “sub-optimal” and winning fights against “FoTM face rollers” After time, blizzard tried to balance everything, until feral druids were pretty much rogues, shamans became mages, the lines between paly’s and warriors became blurred. All classes had at least one stun break, heal, root, cc, ect. The idea of balance pretty much became: All classes are pretty much the same thing, but with different textures, particle effects, and armors. Guild wars 2 on the other hand still has that separation for me. Each class still feels unique in its own way, and killing a “God Tier” warrior with a “All Elementalist Builds are Terrible” makes me happy. Because, to me, it’s not about the profession you bring but how you play that profession.

Anyway TL/DR: I like the pvp in Guild Wars 2. Is it perfect no? But I still enjoy it.

Thank you for your time.

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

That “dysfunctional behavior” is the sole reason to play the game for many, many people. It is after all, an MMO.

Actually, all of the studies I’ve looked at suggest that the majority of MMO players are on for a fairly moderate amount of time each week. The dysfunction comes in when people play to the point where they feel they “have to” do things or they obsess over their “rank” on a table that measures absolutely nothing of meaning.

in PvP

Posted by: Eremus.4506

Eremus.4506

SoloQ with 2+ hard counter against your class is terrible but on the other hand I’ve never been called names etc. in SoloQ.
In general I found tornaments much more friendly compared to hot joins.

In hot joins people rage just because a 1v1 turns into a 2v1

in PvP

Posted by: saVdoom.2067

saVdoom.2067

Stopped soloq because of skyhammer and spirit watch, so now i just soloqueue in team queue or I just don’t play at all.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I like how hot joins / solo q’s and team arena are evolving. Typically, I’m a solo queue type of person, but will hot join to test silly builds or sometimes team queue with friends. In my mind, each of the 3 queues have their own persona.

Hot Join: Zerg fest, that sometimes I like. It’s like death waves of enemies. Start out at one, maybe two, then see how long you can last against 3 or 4. While they aren’t always a win, it can really test your reflexes to recognize which classes you are going against, counters, dodges, line of sight, etc.. Honestly though, sometimes I hop in hot joins while watching a movie >.< Mindlessly pressing buttons while testing out weird build ideas or stat combos. A win or loss in hot join just doesn’t really mean all that much. ( to me )

Team Queue: Fast paced, team cooperation. VoIP helps a ton. Can be super frustrating in their losses, but very rewarding in their wins. Definitely team building, selective roles, and game plans. In my opinion, I do think that in order to team queue that you should have a party of 2 or more. Mainly because A ) it detracts from the actual teams that want good matches, not just a bunch of pugs, and B ) it just makes sense, if you are join as a solo player then you should be in solo queue.

Solo Queue: This is where I spend most of my time. A couple of randoms might recognize my <insert color here > nasty tag. I practically live there. I believe that individual play the stronger focus as opposed to team play. Now before you get your panties in a knot, there is definitely team play in a solo queue, but as we have all played these maps countless times…smart solo play should recognize the mini map, realize where action is needed and still function as a team despite the lack of voice comms. Hot joins make evident to me how much these pvp maps were made with 5v5 in mind. ( 8v8 can be a bit of a kitten show >.< ) Therefore, I find myself preferring 5v5 and solo q.

I’ve been playing guild wars 2 since the first beta event, and I still really like the pvp. When people talk about balance, it takes me back to early vanilla wow pvp. So many glaring disparities between classes and limited builds, but to me it was fun. There is something about taking a build that is “sub-optimal” and winning fights against “FoTM face rollers” After time, blizzard tried to balance everything, until feral druids were pretty much rogues, shamans became mages, the lines between paly’s and warriors became blurred. All classes had at least one stun break, heal, root, cc, ect. The idea of balance pretty much became: All classes are pretty much the same thing, but with different textures, particle effects, and armors. Guild wars 2 on the other hand still has that separation for me. Each class still feels unique in its own way, and killing a “God Tier” warrior with a “All Elementalist Builds are Terrible” makes me happy. Because, to me, it’s not about the profession you bring but how you play that profession.

Anyway TL/DR: I like the pvp in Guild Wars 2. Is it perfect no? But I still enjoy it.

Thank you for your time.

Good write-up!

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

In hot joins people rage just because a 1v1 turns into a 2v1

I rage because 8 vs 8 fight in center turns into 4 vs 8 because 4 our noobs trying to cap some points.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Thank you for your time.

Good write-up!

Yep great post, exactly how I feel about it too.

@OP – the fact that you created a post complaining about not getting your APs should be evidence enough that you have a problem.

God forbid something in real life actually kept you away from the game, like a friend or family member getting sick.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

I didn’t read the ones before me but pro tip: win games and gain ranks so you’ll play with players that know how to play. But if you only care about your achievment ranking then I see no problems. I only get mad when I loose ranks because of idiot team mates.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

your protip is useless, you are only 20% of your randomly selected team, often with afker or only 4v5

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

I didn’t read the ones before me but pro tip: win games and gain ranks so you’ll play with players that know how to play. But if you only care about your achievment ranking then I see no problems. I only get mad when I loose ranks because of idiot team mates.

going up doesn’t really change anything.

I was top 100 3 days ago, went down by 300 spots simply due to terribads/people not in even in leaderboards/skyhammer.

Top players play rarely, i see always the same people in the queue, mostly paired with scrubs.

I still feel i’m getting punished for playing “too much”, even after decay changes ( i don’t even play that much, maybe 10-15 solo q per day, even when i’m top 100 without caring about losing) while one of my guildies plays 1 match every 3 days and is top 50.

This night i got Sizer 3 times, paired with very low ladder ranked players against a team in the 100-300 range.

Guess who won.

Sadly solo q is a terrible experience the majority of times, and knowing that is nothing more than a population issue, it feels very frustrating at times.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i went from like 500 to 88%… get at me lol

i guess it is good practice to learn how to 3v1~

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Zirith.6429

your protip is useless, you are only 20% of your randomly selected team, often with afker or only 4v5

But in general you are the only constant in your games so if you keep on losing it is probably your fault.

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

Not really, its expected to turn to a 50% win/loss ratio in the long time, so unless your win/loss ratio is far above or far below after 1000 games its not your fault

in PvP

Zirith.6429

Not really, its expected to turn to a 50% win/loss ratio in the long time, so unless your win/loss ratio is far above or far below after 1000 games its not your fault

There are not nearly enough players to make that happen, so it is entirely your fault (in the long run)

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

I think it’s the meta which doesnt make soloQ really fun. Back in times, you used to face teams such as 1 bunker guard 1 100b war 1 portal mes. These builds were more likely either defensive or offensive.

Today, you only face builds that are spamming buffs and conditions at same. And you’re then forced to run such kind of build in order to not get rolled. Builds don’t really have explicit counters ..