Stealth mechanic suggestion

in Suggestions

Posted by: brunohstein.9038

brunohstein.9038

I just posted this in Thief subforum, but it is mainly accessed by thieves (like myself). I would like the opinion of general players on this.

The suggestion is that when a invisible thief comes too close of the enemy he turns visible (or maybe semi-visible, like allies see a thief while in stealth). Think about a small radius (130 – 160) around the character on where the thief appears when enters it.

You would semi-appear when you get close to the opponent, but you would be able to use any stealth skills as it is now. Dodge back and you are invisible again if the stealth time isn’t over. Also, the enemy would only partially see you, like your allies can do (https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/27729/gw635.jpg). To clarify: you would still enter stealth the same way you do now (C&D, Shadow Refuge, Blinding Powder…).

I think it would increase the skill needed for achieving a good result as a thief, but would not break the profession. It would be very interesting, I would like to be challenged like that in my thief.

It has also a logical argument: even if someone is invisible, you would probably feel/hear anyone moving that close to you. Fighting a thief would be less annoying and people would probably stop calling us overpowered.

I really don’t think it would break the profession. We would only have to be more cautious about positioning, adding more skill needed to master the class.

(edited by brunohstein.9038)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

it would be too op.
i think if this idea could be put in game it should have at least 1200 range. at least. and it would need a complete rework of all thief traits that works with stealth.

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

it would be too op.
i think if this idea could be put in game it should have at least 1200 range. at least. and it would need a complete rework of all thief traits that works with stealth.

What would be too overpowered? I don’t get it. You say it would be overpowered, but want a range 1200, while I was thinking in something like 160.

in Suggestions

Shukran.4851

u want permastealth but u are autodetected if in a X range from opponent? am i right?
if yes: 160 is melee. autoreveal in a range of 160 is too small. i suggested a radius of 1200 from every opponent reveal you.
every trait in shadow arts should be reworked. fleet shadow would be op. etc etc.

if no: well i misunderstood your post.

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

u want permastealth but u are autodetected if in a X range from opponent? am i right?
if yes: 160 is melee. autoreveal in a range of 160 is too small. i suggested a radius of 1200 from every opponent reveal you.
every trait in shadow arts should be reworked. fleet shadow would be op. etc etc.

I don’t want permastealth, no! Stealh would remain only accessible as it is now. Sorry if I explained it bad.

Oh, I see what I did. Just edited the original post to clarify things.

(edited by brunohstein.9038)

in Suggestions

Shukran.4851

I don’t want permastealth, no! Stealh would remain only accessible as it is now. Sorry if I explained it bad.

i really can’t see any differences before edit, but i still don’t understand your point. i mean: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth
this is the list of stuff that make stealth in gw2. excluding combo that need a lot of resources to stack stealth, there is only shadow refuge that give 10-12 secs stealth at max. how do you idea work in a real battlefield? can u give some example of how your idea works?

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

i really can’t see any differences before edit, but i still don’t understand your point. i mean: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stealth
this is the list of stuff that make stealth in gw2. excluding combo that need a lot of resources to stack stealth, there is only shadow refuge that give 10-12 secs stealth at max. how do you idea work in a real battlefield? can u give some example of how your idea works?

You would still access stealth as it is now. The only thing that changes is that when you get close to your enemy, you become semi-visible.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ChocoCee.7243

ChocoCee.7243

Either that or just add a longer CD (a debuff or or silimar to block player going back into stealth) after a player went into stealth. It is retar- ded at the moment that ~3 people in WvW cannot kill 1 thief (which that 1 thief can almost have perma full health) because they can stealth every few seconds.

(edited by ChocoCee.7243)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

That kind of close range reveal wouldn’t work – as if you reveal as you hit the player by the time culling sorts itself out there would be no practical difference than what we have now.

I’d much prefer a movement speed penalty whilst in stealth (you know, moving stealthily?) and for the environment to provide a few more visual clues to a thief’s whereabouts.

It’s crazy that a toon can run around so fast and be ‘stealthy’.

The problem is that the whole mechanic is broken at the moment and there is no easy way to fix it (even if they wanted to, which they don’t seem to) without breaking the class.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

Either that or just add a longer CD (a debuff or or silimar to block player going back into stealth) after a player went into stealth. It is retar- ded at the moment that ~3 people in WvW cannot kill 1 thief (which that 1 thief can almost have perma full health) because they can stealth every few seconds.

There is already a debuff of 3 seconds after a player break stealth.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

This is not a bad idea, though I am not sure it would change how efective stealth is (not that that is a complaint), as by the time you see them it would probably be too late. But I guess it would give you a split second to dodge, if you’re observant and have good reactions.

@brunohstein – The debuff, as far as I am aware, only effects you if you attack while in stealth. If you let stealth end without attacking you are not effected by it. So if you timed C&D you could stay invisible for most of the fight (though you would not be dealing much damage). My suggestion in other threads is to have the debuff effect you every time you lose stealth, regardless of whether you attack or not. This would prevent stealth being over spammed but still keep it’s effectiveness AND allow enemies a chance to attack the thief in between stealthing.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I’ve only seen two possible stealth “fixes” for the whiners; Slightly longer cd between stealthing like 5 seconds instead of 3, and now this. It doesn’t nerf the stealth skill, it just requires more skill from stealth players. I think 160-180 range would be ideal so it is just before they are within attack range for melee. Would put little (but not too much) fear into my thief knowing people can seek me out without adding some OP stealth reveal. Besides, with how I see most people in groups they must not have good eye sight to begin with so I imagine they would still find it hard to “find us” by getting close, that camoflauge outline is quite hidden. But atleast the option is there for the kids who cry “nerf thief” in their sleep.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

This is not a bad idea, though I am not sure it would change how efective stealth is (not that that is a complaint), as by the time you see them it would probably be too late. But I guess it would give you a split second to dodge, if you’re observant and have good reactions.

@brunohstein – The debuff, as far as I am aware, only effects you if you attack while in stealth. If you let stealth end without attacking you are not effected by it. So if you timed C&D you could stay invisible for most of the fight (though you would not be dealing much damage). My suggestion in other threads is to have the debuff effect you every time you lose stealth, regardless of whether you attack or not. This would prevent stealth being over spammed but still keep it’s effectiveness AND allow enemies a chance to attack the thief in between stealthing.

You are right about the debuff. And we both agree that the thief won’t kill anyone just hitting C&D every 4 seconds.

in Suggestions

brunohstein.9038

I’ve only seen two possible stealth “fixes” for the whiners; Slightly longer cd between stealthing like 5 seconds instead of 3, and now this. It doesn’t nerf the stealth skill, it just requires more skill from stealth players. I think 160-180 range would be ideal so it is just before they are within attack range for melee. Would put little (but not too much) fear into my thief knowing people can seek me out without adding some OP stealth reveal. Besides, with how I see most people in groups they must not have good eye sight to begin with so I imagine they would still find it hard to “find us” by getting close, that camoflauge outline is quite hidden. But atleast the option is there for the kids who cry “nerf thief” in their sleep.

I play a thief too. I think that a nerf to stealth is almost certain, so I want it to be done the right way. I love playing a thief and I don’t want the class to be underpowered.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

Adding a debuff even when stealth just normally ends will ruin stacking stealth for getting through places safely (PvE, dungeons, escaping a zerg when you were scouting as a thief). A person who chains C&D won’t kill anyone, just outlive the dmg and you’ll find a thief that has used up all his initiatives

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]