Stop matchmaking from grouping r1s

in PvP

Posted by: Gewd.8125

Gewd.8125

I’ve played over 700 tpvps and there are just too many games with a bunch of noobs on my team. Today these games occured 3 times in a row was when I started with rank 600 on the leaderboards.

http://i.imgur.com/z3RYRoW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hXytOBc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HgYmJsv.jpg

They were clearly outclassed in these matches and were not smurfs. I’ve seen them trying to res dead people and capping points with 3 other people on it.

Matchmaking needs to have a limit on the MMR difference that a match can have. I am sure this is causing more people to quit PvP than the alternative of waiting longer for a match.

And if it is averaging MMR then Glicko is highly flawed.

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

These are perfect examples of a flaw in our matchmaking. We are aware of this issue have plans to address it. Thanks for the screenshots!

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Saital.4819

Saital.4819

Why not take a page from LoL’s book? Similar to how level 1-20 summoners will generally only be matched with each other, how about keeping r1-10 players in a separate tourney queue (unless premade)?

in PvP

Gewd.8125

They didn’t do that because it already takes upwards of 10 minutes to find a match even with this extremely flawed system.

However I am confident people would rather wait longer than having these awful lineups. It is probably one of the reasons why the tpvp population is getting smaller and it seems to get worse every day.

Glicko is failing hard here. 1 really high rated player and a r1 player does not equal 2 moderately rated players. At a high skill differential, the value of an unskilled player exponentially reaches 0 and Glicko does not account for this.

Is there an ETA for this fix?

in PvP

Posted by: fakeblood.2576

fakeblood.2576

No they just need to make it where you have to be at least rank 10 to enter a tourney this isn’t hot joins people

in PvP

Posted by: Saital.4819

Saital.4819

They didn’t do that because it already takes upwards of 10 minutes to find a match even with this extremely flawed system.

This is true, but getting stomped by people 30+ ranks above you doesn’t attract new players either.

in PvP

Gewd.8125

No they just need to make it where you have to be at least rank 10 to enter a tourney this isn’t hot joins people

That won’t solve the problem.

Hotjoin is a completely different game from tPvP. It over-emphasizes AOE and DPS zergs since you get more glory for sharing kills and flipping points when you should be holding points or assaulting another one.

Replacing these r1s in my screenshots with hotjoin r10s would not have made the match any better.

I don’t know how queuing works but I am guessing it is something like this:

• Once you click join solo, players eligible to be in your team are within +- 5% of your rating.
  • The longer you wait, the higher this threshold increases to the point where you are getting new players at 0%.
  • This same process is then applied to teams.

Possible solutions would be:

• Put a lower bound on the permissible ratings to be on your team.
  • Let players choose this lower bound or decline a match if they are placed with someone extremely far from their rating.
  • Tune the glicko algorithm to lower the rating of the team with extremely low rated or high variance (new) players.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

I’ve played over 700 tpvps and there are just too many games with a bunch of noobs on my team. Today these games occured 3 times in a row was when I started with rank 600 on the leaderboards.

They were clearly outclassed in these matches and were not smurfs. I’ve seen them trying to res dead people and capping points with 3 other people on it.

Matchmaking needs to have a limit on the MMR difference that a match can have. I am sure this is causing more people to quit PvP than the alternative of waiting longer for a match.

Besides the 2nd screenshot, you also faced two premades in screenshots 1 and 3.

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

They should just make it like WoW arena’s only taking records of actual tourney teams with names on it and not pugs or inviting friends for fun.

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: Celeras.4980

Celeras.4980

They should just make it like WoW arena’s only taking records of actual tourney teams with names on it and not pugs or inviting friends for fun.

That would be great, but people in this game want to solo queue for some reason. Don’t ask me why, because the thought of explicitly queuing for a PUG and then complaining about the competitiveness of the players on your team is asinine to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

IMO, that’s a bigger problem in the first place. Premade teams should never have access to solo queue games.

in PvP

Posted by: Scryar.2954

Scryar.2954

These are perfect examples of a flaw in our matchmaking. We are aware of this issue have plans to address it. Thanks for the screenshots!

Great to hear but please start with seperating solo from premade queues. This is in my opinion the biggest problem atm.

WvsW smallscale & tpvp
Champion- Magus, Shadow, Illusionist, Hunter

in PvP

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

:)

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Good to see a dev responding to this. But srsly, these flaws were in the game since soloQ was being implemented. And if you tell us , you have plans to address it, it’s a bit late for it though.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

^I think they’re working on it since the outcry when they implemented it. Might be rather hard to do technically.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

I disagree, playing with someone who hotjoins to r10 will be far more competent than a r1 playing.. I’m mainly saying this as even in hotjoin u pickup the basic game mechanics..

Splitting team q and solo q cannot work, why do ppl keep saying this.. Reason is because a large majority of players like to group in 2,3 and 4s meaning you’d have an advantage in solo q and disadvantage in team q

in PvP

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

In a way, having rank groups like 1-9 10-19 20-29 and so on, can be good like what WoW and Neverwinter does, but also can be bad because high rank does not mean you’re good at the game, so if you are rank 40 but are pretty bad at the game, you would always be going up with other 40’s and getting destroyed, which is not fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

I like to play with some friends. Some of them have a high rank like 40+ and some are low rank (like 10). Please develop a system that satisfy causal and pro gamer. Do not close a door for one of this groups.

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I like to play with some friends. Some of them have a high rank like 40+ and some are low rank (like 10). Please develop a system that satisfy causal and pro gamer. Do not close a door for one of this groups.

The problem with trying to satisfy every group is that at least one of those feel not satisfied enough. But it’s at least better than satisfy nobody.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

The matchmaking system does not have flaws, it is simply not working.
Matches like these happen 33% of the time:
Tbh I don’t really care for the leaderboards, sure it’s funny tracking your own position, but I just want some good matches.

Attachments:

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

KrisHQ.4719

Some people might think 33% sounds like a lot.
BUT!
The match i played directly after the game above looked like this:

(Just wanted to back my argument)
By the way:
Are you sure the matchmaking is in fact working?
Because judging from the second screenshot, their average rank is above ours AND they were a premade team.
I just don’t see how that could happen if the matchmaking was even working the slighest.

Attachments:

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

You should search every player from the match in the leaderboards and make an average ranking for every team. Then compare these 2 rankings and see how big the difference is.
For eg: RED-TEAM: rank 100, rank 300, rank 200, rank 500, rank 1000: average = 420
BLUE TEAM: rank 1200, rank 10, rank 700, rank 90, rank 900: average = 580

This would say pretty much how the mmr is matching teams together.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Kitcat.1739

Kitcat.1739

Empathetic gives a good example. Also, remember that matchmaking is based on a hidden rating, which is based on tournaments only. A rank 1 who’s never played a tournament before will have the same rating as a rank 40 who’s never played a tournament before. To the mmr’s mind, they are equal.

“Premade”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

For this reason rank are useless like a parameter and you need to value experience players with “tournament played” parameter

And the simple average is not good, a team where members have high rank and low rank is worst than a team with medium rank.

Two super players don’t offset super inexpert players.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Yes the matchmaker is flawed not only because the small amount of players. I was playing during very busy hours trying to solo queue I ended up facing 3 different premades(They all had guild tags) with a full pug. I didn’t quite understand why the matcher didn’t match the premades against each other…

Then there is the issue of premades just rolling pugs during off hours when only a handful of people are on which is why the leaderboard is useless

in PvP

Posted by: Kitcat.1739

Kitcat.1739

I didn’t quite understand why the matcher didn’t match the premades against each other…

Because a pve guild against a pvp guild is not a pretty match up. And how would a system differentiate between the two? Only by looking a the rankings of the individuals on each team.

“Premade”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

easy fix

dont show the rank at the end

problem solved

next

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

easy fix

problem solved

next

Haha yeah I do like that keeping it mysterious and less nonsense crap like you let a rank one beat you?! A level 68???? while little do they know the rank 1 is actually a rank 69 ot 70 on another account.

Pineapples

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

What flaw in the matchmaking?!?!? There are about 100 mouthpieces on this board that chant Elo Elo Elo like its magic chant when people complain about this topic. To be serious I do give you credit for admitting that there are any flaws in your matchmaking becuase if you didn’t post here this thread would have been infiltrated by the stop whining match making is purrrfect crowd.

in PvP

Kwll.1468

easy fix

problem solved

next

Did you even read most of this thread? The guy admitted there are some glitches in the system. I dont need ranks to know approximate levels anyway titles and skins will show me the vast majority of the time.

in PvP

Kwll.1468

easy fix

problem solved

next

Haha yeah I do like that keeping it mysterious and less nonsense crap like you let a rank one beat you?! A level 68???? while little do they know the rank 1 is actually a rank 69 ot 70 on another account.

This is the biggest myth ever the high rank player that has 2 accounts. There is a handful of people that do this.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Screenshot 2 is a premade as well, krito doesn’t solo que, although I don’t recognize any of the people hes playing with.

in PvP

Posted by: Cazbah.4706

Cazbah.4706

Hate to state the obvious, but there’s no way to solve this problem entirely until there are more people playing. Yes, you’ll avoid this completely if you allow solo queues, but with the current population, queues times will noticeably increase.

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

i have enough screenshots for a lifetime

Attachments:

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in PvP

KrisHQ.4719

As do I!
I have yet to see a game more unbalanced than my first screenshot, though.
If you can beat it, please attach a screen!

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

As do I!

Attachments:

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

How about top 50 leaderboard rank team going up against 65% rank team.

Do you think the top 50 should go up against people 35% and 950 ranks away from them? Ya im pretty sure people inbetween were not playing so the great almighty queing system sets a solo q vs a top 50 team…..

Play against enough solo q’s you’ll get to rank 1 no problem, just keep avoiding the premades.

I’m telling ya’ll you put the good players on your friends list, que up when they are already in a game to avoid them, that’s how you’ll get to high rank with a decent team.

I’m sure you guys experienced the same premade pounding you in consecutive games as well.

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

As do I!

Easily done…
They were a full premade

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I just don’t solo queue until it gets split. Meanwhile carrying a team is hard alone but with 2 it’s a little better. So I mostly duo-queue with a friend.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Vandal.8029

Vandal.8029

I wonder if the problem has something to do with new players starting out with like a 1500 hidden rating as some systems do this. When they start playing games, then their rating will go up or down depending on their skill.
The problem with this is when you have a solo queue. Someone who actually plays at a level of around 1500 is going to be matched with newer players a lot.

I’m not saying this is what’s happening, but it could be one possible explanation. I’m not sure what kind of system a-net uses, but with a solo-queue, hopefully it starts everyone out with a rating if 0.

in PvP

Posted by: Axis.1085

Axis.1085

The matchmakeing system is terrible. I dont like to QQ but if we dont keep telling what has to be improved in PvP they wont focus on that.

in PvP

KrisHQ.4719

As do I!

Easily done…
They were a full premade

Argh man.
This one beats mine.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Sometimes i cant understand why these forums even exist..I mean ppl are screaming for soloq and for fair matchmaking for a long time now.Ppl want it Anet doesnt give it…So whats the meaning for us writing something here?Welcome to the real world guys..No,Anet just do what they are supposed to do,they wont change their plans because you want something else..Just play with r1 dudes

in PvP

Posted by: Scryar.2954

Scryar.2954

Did two solo queue games now.l First one vs a premade and with a Level 1 in my team. Second game vs the same premade and with a leaver in my team after we lost the first fight in the middle.

Can we get please some Information when YOU ARE GOING DO TO SOMETHING? How difficult can it be to split the queues when there was a solo queue in hotjoin from the start of the game. It’s ridiculous that you still dont managed to split the queues. Every kitten game dont match premade vs random because well…. the premade team has so many advantages thakitten is just stupid to match them together.

WvsW smallscale & tpvp
Champion- Magus, Shadow, Illusionist, Hunter

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Sometimes I think they wait till everybody stops carrying, so noone will give them negative feedback anymore on their PvP. But then I remind me of the fact that 4 ppl for a whole PvP-System aren’t enough to deal with.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

well its big failure and ANET is doing pve content and events…….so if you are facing premade just go akitten like me or log off. Simple.

in PvP

KrisHQ.4719

Well. As i have understood Anet’s system, the coding-personal are coding both PvE, WvW and sPvP. This means that even though Anet wants something in sPvP fixed, it has to go into a queue with WvW and PvE stuff.

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

they also censured A…F….K lol

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

They censored f_k .

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

Yesterday enemy team shared same guild tags ,perfect class comp etc and they also wore cof armor sets and had champion titles..
On top of that in /team chat there was this guy asking us to forgive him for ruining our match since IT WAS HIS FIRST TIME IN THE GAME..
No surprise at the end when we got stomoped by rank 50s while we had a rank1 and and average rank at around 25 or something..
Yep if you have bad luck this game can be UNPLAYABLE atm.
Its either broken or only 100 people play pvp..