Suggestion : Choose the maps

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Would this work as a pre-match filter for matchmaking, or as a map vote system?

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.7906

Penguin.7906

I would guess pre-match filter.

Shuriyo

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Maybe your own personal PvP profile which contains the maps you want to play in, and maybe even more granular than that. I could see potential issues where queues take forever trying to match people up based on their filters, though.

But keeping it with just the map choice, one drawback would be that skyhammer queue pops would increase for folks who enjoy playing it.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in PvP

Posted by: FeelsAlright.5860

FeelsAlright.5860

Just add check marks next to the maps on the pvp screen… it will only give you maps that are checked. Should only be solo q though

Vipassana

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

@Lesh

Perhaps when in que for solo arena you could vote for which map you’d like to play. Ofc this would be unknown to other players in soloq and the map would be decided once the opposing teams are formed, preventing any alteration based on team setups. Generally this would please the majority of players as the map selected will be based on the vote majority.

This would prevent people only playing on the map they’re best or optimal in through guaranteed map selection but would also avoid incidents where we’re forced to play on a map that the majority clearly do not want to play on.

In general I believe this would make people a lot happier!

(edited by Zuik.7158)

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I think either would work well. Honestly I’d recommend whichever is easier to implement.

It could be a pre-matchmaking filter “veto” system, where you could choose to never play on, say, skyhammer or khylo. I think limiting it to two blacklisted maps would be sufficient, otherwise matchmaking could be impaired if too many people are queued up for only one or two maps.

Or it could be a map vote—queue pops, box comes up that says “Your solo arena is ready. Vote for either _ or _.” Come to think of it, that would be a nifty way to implement that manual ready-check that we’ve needed for a while to prevent 4v5s…two birds with one stone.

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I would love to opt-out of Skyhammer. I don’t mind the other maps being randomized, but Skyhammer is a problem.

in PvP

Posted by: infynity.5284

infynity.5284

Voting at the end of a map would be fun and interactive, but you have to get rid of that kitten shield screen and score board popping up first, can’t they be displayed transparently? Another option might be to freeze the entire match while that displays and we vote. There’s already enough distraction at one time while you’re trying to finish off a fight after the bell.

I have to admit though the box checking system is full-proof. It lets everyone be happy.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuper.2641

Kuper.2641

Either,

A Veto system where you can Veto certain maps and never have a chance to encounter those maps – limited to 2 map Vetos.

Or

A vote at the end of the match open to all maps.

[VII] Seventh Legion
Ex-Guild/Raid Leader/Commander
www.seventhlegion.net

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

Please do it.

I’m super cerial.

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

each team vetos 1 map by vote ( red first, then blue ), then map is chosen randomly from remaining pool.

take a nod from StarCraft 2 ( i think they have a bit of eSports history ). in tournies like ESL, they should do a full map vote. ( Red veto → Blue veto → Red picks 1st map → Blue picks 2nd map → Red picks 3rd map )

profile filters would be amazing, but would also require map-specific leaderboards & a far larger population than we currently have.

in PvP

Posted by: Acgsev.6931

Acgsev.6931

Map vote is way better. Pre-match filter is just going to make it so queues take longer.

Forget it, Jake. It’s SoloQ.

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

Is skyham farm still a thing ?

Because as much as i’d like a filter option for soloQ, i wouldn’t like it if it were to give people the possibility to farm soloQ skyham in the process.

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I made a suggestion like this some time ago.

Once you select solo q or team q, you have a another menu to select map…really you could just put skyhammer/spirt watch together as a choice and all other maps together.

Then you would still not know exactly what map you are going to play on but those who have not got a skyhammer/spirit watch build can avoid it, well those that have can play those maps.

It will mean skyhammer/spirit watch can be a option for team q as well, since teams will have a choice to play them or play the regular maps.

Its a relatively easy solution to all the skyhammer and to a lesser extent spirit watch qq’ing and it also increases options for team q. Its just win win…no downside.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

A filter maybe. Allowing people to delete some maps from their profile.

oh man – i rly love this idea
just mark the maps you wanna play or not play and this even can have influence on the rewards

a player who has marked all maps get max rewards per match + maby a lil bonus

and per unmarked map – some rewards (like -5 silver per match? or lower track progress)

and this even would be a really good thing for arenanet what maps are fun to paly and what maps are hated by players

in PvP

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

I would guess pre-match filter.

Pre-Match filter will mean that certain maps will be FULL of the builds that are best suited for it. For example, people who only want skyhammer will be decap engis. People who only want Kyhlo probably are going to be mesmers, thieves and eles. Probably going to be 0 engis on Foefire battles.

I mean, why fight on a map you are sub-optimal on if you have the choice? If this was chosen, I’d set the map filter to be only Forest and go nade engi. That or stick to Kyhlo and go thief.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

The best idea i’ve read is:

When queue pops two maps are selected randomly. Then players can vote which of the two they preffer before joining.

The map that gets the most votes is the one that will be played.

The advantage is that it won’t make queues any longer

in PvP

Posted by: Hellmasker.1649

Hellmasker.1649

A vote between 2 or 3 maps before the start would be preferable. Most times I’m not doing anything in the 90-120sec before it starts anyway.
Great idea.

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
For we have held fast our ground and our loyalty to Tyria each and every day…
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

A filter system is not feasible for solo queue. It would increase queue times and mess up matchmaking. A quick vote pre-match is the only answer.

in PvP

Posted by: FeelsAlright.5860

FeelsAlright.5860

A filter system is not feasible for solo queue. It would increase queue times and mess up matchmaking. A quick vote pre-match is the only answer.

Maybe, but the majority would choose no skyhammer and the que times would be the same hopefully.

Vipassana

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

or we could just remove skyhammer

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Summary so far:

• Pre-match filters will increase queue times.
  • Voting per-match does not increase queue time.
  • Add some amount of randomness.
  • Avoid chances of encountering non-stop cheese builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

Next suggestion will be filter:
1) no hambows
2)no thieves (they have invis!! >_<)
3) no decappers
4) no rang 80
honestly… filters sucks

in PvP

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Summary so far:

Personally any of these three would be welcome in most combinations, one and two would be somewhat mutually exclusive I guess… two sounds better with no real downside. Except if it gets to a point where all you get is a single map always winning the vote, which is the only situation where option one wins out despite affecting queue times. Really it would be, do I want to constantly play on X, or play lot less matches on different maps regardless of whether one or two would be in effect, but two being pre-match would mean that even if such situation came to be you wouldn’t be subject (or indeed have the need to) to having to enter and leave matches and play a lottery of sorts.

Things like encountering or indeed not encountering certain comps, not even possible as far as I can see because it would have to be an intelligent self learning filter than can class builds as “cheese” as they emerge and then keep track of what you encountered in the past. Just overly complicated and easy to game around, by just changing a very minor aspect of your build. Because no matter how smart of a system you would have it could not account for minimal variance from game to game, or it would not work at all, unless it puts some kind of semi-persistent flag on another user that only affects you. But just seems too much trouble for what it is worth, if one can use the personal account blocklist already in game to filter matches that contain people on their block list – yes it could seriously kill queue times if overused, but it is an application of already existing feature (if it does not do it already) and entirely each users own responsibility and based on their own judgement.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Games should be map voting like in Halo, or later Call of Duty games.

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

and this even would be a really good thing for arenanet what maps are fun to paly and what maps are hated by players

The thing is, they already have data – the 4v5 frequency on Skyhammer must be waaaay above that of other maps.

Any vote/veto system would give more useful data, yes – but srsly does anyone expect the map ranking to not be Skyham < Spirit Watch < everything else?

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Map vote is way better. Pre-match filter is just going to make it so queues take longer.

^

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Summary so far:

• Avoid chances of encountering non-stop cheese builds.

Good.

I hope it’s reasonable to not wait 6 months for this

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

1) no hambows
2)no thieves (they have invis!! &gt;_&lt;)
3) no decappers
4) no rang 80
honestly... filters sucks

Slippery slope is *not* a good argument.

Players can move! They’ll be wanting to cast SKILLS next!

^ had this been said during development, we wouldn’t’ve gotten anywhere. It is an argument that could’ve been applied just as easily as your set of outcomes applies to map vetoing.

Filters for specific things can be useful - and it’s a very good way for the community to show which maps it does and does not like. In each map vs map matchup, the stats will build up and show how much the general playerbase prefers each compared to the other.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Idea:
How about everyone gives vote AT START, the matchmaking system STAYS SAME doing its job, THEN a map is chosen randomly from top votes.

Example:
1) You vote , selecting 4/6 good maps
2) Press QUE
3) Matchmaking magic gathers 10 poeple
4) They equally shuffle them 5v5
5) 4/6 top voted maps
6) 1 map chosen randomly

Again, I think it is my most briliant idea ever , as it wouldnt affect que times , while keeping the random map factor so it stays interesting.

Edit:
If two maps have same votes, they both count and can be chosen via the random factor at end.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

(edited by Flumek.9043)

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

10x players 4x votes each = 40 votes. A possible vote
10+10+5+5+5+5 = 40
1st-2nd place… 2maps
3rd-6th place….4 maps

Here, ALL maps would get in, and 1/6 will be randomly chosen to play on.

Edit: Change it to 10x 6 maps= 60 votes total, so that you can play all maps if you like. In window showing maps for soloQ/teamQ , you leave a X or Checkmark on maps you give your vote, at end top 4/6 are still chosen by random.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

(edited by Flumek.9043)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

10x players 4x votes each = 40 votes. A possible vote
10+10+5+5+5+5 = 40
1st-2nd place… 2maps
3rd-6th place….4 maps

Here, ALL maps would get in, and 1/6 will be randomly chosen to play on.

Edit: Change it to 10x 6 maps= 60 votes total, so that you can play all maps if you like. In window showing maps for soloQ/teamQ , you leave a X or Checkmark on maps you give your vote, at end top 4/6 are still chosen by random.

too much clicking per match – annoying

vote for 1 map you dont wanna play and system disable most voted map – simple

BUT, with this voting system i still will not play skyhammer even when the other 9 guys vote for it^^

map vote per match is ok – i think but would be better to not evne Que me for a map when i dont wanna play this

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

What if you don’t care what map you play on in a vote system? Should there be a ‘pass’ or ‘vote random’?

What about the case where some people legitimately want to play on less popular maps? Would they ever get to play their favorite map?

This would be a system that provides good metrics.

Skyhammer does not have any more uneven matches than other maps last time we checked.

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

in PvP

Posted by: Inscrutable.8347

Inscrutable.8347

I guess you guys must have checked when the map went live and still use that data b/c anybody who has played this game knows that the ragequit and 4v5 is more common there than anywhere

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

What about the case where some people legitimately want to play on less popular maps? Would they ever get to play their favorite map?

Then something should be done to make sure no existing maps are this unpopular.

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

What if you don’t care what map you play on in a vote system? Should there be a ‘pass’ or ‘vote random’?

Skyhammer does not have any more uneven matches than other maps last time we checked.

If you don’t care = pass

Random vote can be very dangerous. I would be really upset if random votes goes on skyammer and after that i need to play skyhammer for random votes.

No really, if you don’t care, a simple “pass” would be really better. No random votes.

Vote or pass.

After votes, you can go random on maps which get most preferences.

Example – 10 people

2 don’t care = 2 pass

2 temple
2 nifhelm
2 foefire
1 spirit
1 khylo

goes random among nifhelm, foefire, temple.

(edited by MarkPhilips.5169)

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Are you suggesting an equal random between the top voted maps? What happens in this situation:

1. 9 Khylo
  2. 1 Sykhammer

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

Are you suggesting an equal random between the top voted maps? What happens in this situation:

1. 9 Khylo
  2. 1 Sykhammer

I’m suggesting an equal random between top voted maps ONLY if top voted maps have the same preferences (like in my old reply).

Es. 2-2-2-1-1-pass-pass – random among 2-2-2
4-4-1-pass, – random between 4-4
3-3-2-1-pass – random between 3-3
9-1 – go directly in map with 9 preferences

In a situation 9 for Khylo and 1 for skyhammer we play directly khylo of course

and we are really happy, the alternative is the devil

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I think it’s important to keep the process simple. If it’s simple, it will be easier to develop and can be released faster. Also, probably people don’t want a sophisticated voting system to make sure everyone’s needs are met perfectly—they mainly just want the ability to feel like they won’t be forced into a map they don’t like.

Because of the way statistics work, even less popular maps would still get played. Let’s say only 30% of the population likes skyhammer, a rather pessimistic number. The chances of having 6/10 players from that 30% in the same queue is actually not bad. It would roughly correlate to the chance that your solo queue has 6/10 players using a medium-armor profession.

(PS—if the number of people who like skyhammer is truly only 30%, as polls seem to show, it might be more efficient to just remove the map from solo queue and make it hotjoin only. 30% is almost as low as US congress approval ratings.)

in PvP

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I would gladly take longer queue times if it means I get to never play skyhammer again. Why can’t we just be select which maps we are willing to play in our profile and only get queued for those maps. Sure you might have to wait a little longer but it beats playing a map that makes you want to pick up a dishonnered debuff.

I don’t see the need to implement a complicated voting system.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in PvP

Posted by: Mystylaise.4673

Mystylaise.4673

In my opinion, veto is the way to go for team queue.

Random between opponents and my team to decide who’ll pick up first.

- our team remove : Skyhammer
- they remove : Battle of Kyhlo
- our team remove : Temple of The Silent Storm
- they remove : Legacy of the Foefire

Map decided by both team for this game : Forest of Niflhel.

Of course, you have to take some considerations :

- Only your group leader can vote for your team.
- He has 10 secondes to vote. After that, the game selects and removes a map for you.
- We need 5 maps in the mappool.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Acgsev.6931

Acgsev.6931

Not voting should be allowed. Like in dungeons, it doesn’t really matter if one member doesn’t vote, it still goes with highest number. In case of ties (like 4 forest 4 legacy 2 skyham), it should go random between the ones with highest votes, so random between forest and legacy. If it’s 9 khylo 1 skyham, it would go khylo.

Btw, I don’t think uneven matches in Skyhammer is the proper metric to be looking at, since it’s hard to tell afkers who don’t disconnect and just hang around map or cap a point and go away. Instead look at the classes played in Skyhammer in ranked. Those with KB and pulls should be overrepresented.

Forget it, Jake. It’s SoloQ.

in PvP

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

Yes, but it’s still Skyhammer.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I’d like to see a system where 2 maps are chosen at random to be voted on. After all, it might be somewhat refreshing to get to play spirit watch or skyhammer once every ~15 solo queue matches.

Edit: I am bad at math

(edited by Sins.4782)

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

1. 9 Khylo
  2. 1 Sykhammer

No, just delete Skyhammer, nobody wants it!

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

I don’t know if this was already mentioned, but another idea would be to randomly provide 3 maps (or only 2) for the decision and players can pick one of them. This way more popular maps will be played more often but others will propably still see some action (except skyhammer ^^).

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

in PvP

MarkPhilips.5169

I don’t know if this was already mentioned, but another idea would be to randomly provide 3 maps (or only 2) for the decision and players can pick one of them. This way more popular maps will be played more often but others will propably still see some action (except skyhammer ^^).

This idea can be implemented in entire vote process like this:

1. Random 3 maps

2. People needs to vote these 3 maps in x sec (like dng options) – if you don’t care = pass

3. Map with most preferences wins, if there is a tie = random between maps with most preferences.

Very easy e fast process imho.

With this vote system process, i’d stoop match time start about 30s or more, 2 min. are too much with a vote system.

in PvP

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

This idea can be implemented in entire vote process like this:

1. Random 3 maps

2. People needs to vote these 3 maps in x sec (like dng options) – if you don’t care = pass

3. Map with most preferences wins, if there is a tie = random between maps with most preferences.

Very easy e fast process imho.

With this vote system process, i’d stoop match time start about 30s or more, 2 min. are too much with a vote system.

That is fine but it is not going to do anything to help the team that has people who refuse to play on a certain map. The problem is that there are people at the moment who deliberately go afk because they hate a certain map and refuse to play on it (I’ve even been guilty of doing it after getting SH several times in a row). If you add a voting system odds are that you will still be forced to play those maps, those people will still go afk because they still refuse to play those maps.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

take a nod from StarCraft 2 ( i think they have a bit of eSports history ). in tournies like ESL, they should do a full map vote. ( Red veto -> Blue veto -> Red picks 1st map -> Blue picks 2nd map -> Red picks 3rd map )

I searched for starcraft particularly. Cheers for posting it.

Starcraft has a pretty good way of letting people veto maps they don’t like, at least in casual play. I think that could be servicable for solo queue.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

1) no hambows
2)no thieves (they have invis!! >_<)
3) no decappers
4) no rang 80
honestly… filters sucks

Pretty much this. Right now, in all honesty, i have had far more balanced matchs on skyhammer and Spirit’s Watch than on foefire or khylo. You almost can’t do anything against hambows and engis on these maps, and these builds are happening way too often..