Team Q + Solo Q = Ranked Q Worries

in PvP

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

So since you guys merge team q and solo q and still only have invididual leaderboards where every player can track his own position but not the position of his team as

1) team x ..points
2) team y …points

i really see a problem:

so when you play with your full team you will most likely get matched against a full team
which is good but if you decide to solo join this ranked system losing will also affect your leaderboard ranking that you build up really hard with your team probably
why would a player with a good team decide to solo q then?

all of this wouldnt really matter but it feels like you guys are thinking of implementing rewards for good leaderboard positions in the future which is the reason for no player with a decent team going to solo q in “ranked” once its implemented imo

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

So since you guys merge team q and solo q and still only have invididual leaderboards where every player can track his own position but not the position of his team as

1) team x ..points
2) team y …points

i really see a problem:

so when you play with your full team you will most likely get matched against a full team
which is good but if you decide to solo join this ranked system losing will also affect your leaderboard ranking that you build up really hard with your team probably
why would a player with a good team decide to solo q then?

all of this wouldnt really matter but it feels like you guys are thinking of implementing rewards for good leaderboard positions in the future which is the reason for no player with a decent team going to solo q in “ranked” once its implemented imo

I’ll translate this since reading comprehension varies: When you “solo” into the new system it will treat you as soloq (with some variance) with 9 other people that are solo based on your level (rank, other factors, etc). If the game can’t find an equivalent match for you, you will be placed in some duo/trio/quad queue, but your rating won’t be as penalized because you are only playing as a soloq player, this means that even if you go into a technical “team queue” as a “solo queue” your rating won’t change as much now.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

We have to try and see how it works out in the end.

The system is greatly influenced by the right calculation of the ‘Odds of Victory’.

If the matchmaking works correctly, you’ll end up in the 40-59% ‘Odds of Victory’ line. If you manage to win more games, than loose (with less than 400 points), you will climb up the ladder.
But at the same time, your MMR will also increase, and therefore influencing your ‘Odds of Victory’ if you play against the same guys, or you’ll get stronger opponents at the same ‘Odds of Victory’.

F.e. Sîzer constantly maintaining a win rate over 50% regardless of his high Glicko2 rating, he will also constantly climb the ladder the more he plays.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

It’s not going to work out at all. There are not enough players in GW2 sPvP for it.

I honestly don’t see what was wrong with Hotjoin, SoloQ & TeamQ.

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

From what I have read so far if you que solo and lose to a premade it won’t effect your rating much. Though if pug team beats premade they get more rating for the win.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

If you don’t want to lose your position you made with team and still want to play solo just join unranked queue. That’s one of the reason they are making it.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

It’s not going to work out at all. There are not enough players in GW2 sPvP for it.

I agree, it won’t work because not enough players. Basically no possible matchmaking system works when the player pool isn’t large enough. Queue times or match quality will inevitably suffer. The devs sound like they have improved it alot in the upcoming patch, but there is only so much they can do. At the end of the day the population for this game just isn’t large enough. I mean how many teams are there? 6 or 7 in the EU? Thats about 30-40 people who are try harding this game. It is a joke.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

You don’t see the issue with 4v5 matches, 3-4 of the same profession on one team at times, poor matchmaking, and a broken ladder?

in PvP

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

I personally barely played soloq and I’m prolly gonna play a lot of unranked q with one or two friends and I know many people who feel the same way. I’m not gonna miss soloq in the least.

Bullet Punch

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

You don’t see the issue with 4v5 matches, 3-4 of the same profession on one team at times, poor matchmaking, and a broken ladder?

What does the SoloQ/TeamQ – system has to do with the other improvements?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I personally barely played soloq and I’m prolly gonna play a lot of unranked q with one or two friends and I know many people who feel the same way. I’m not gonna miss soloq in the least.

You can do that currently anyway. 90% of my play is probably duo queue in my gw2 play.

The question is will it improve? Answer is probably yes. I might play again because it will be more bearable now. Only because more decent people will solo/duo/trio queue.

However, without sufficient population, if someone doesnt duo queue now then I doubt they will suddenly start to do so. Because the experience will still match you vs full teams with newbies on your team. 1 newbie = gtd loss to a competent team regardless of the other 4 players. Such is conquest and the rally mechanic.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I think we need to forget the soloqueue concept.

If many duo people will join the new rated match, many solo player will be matched with double duo for example 2-2-1 or maybe 3-1-1

I only hope the new mathmaking will give VERY HIGH priority to party composition, because for a good match, the same party composition needs to be on both of sides.

3-1-1 is different from 2-2-1 is different from 4-1

On paper, the new system is great because you promote more party size for queue but population number and mmr effectiveness are important factors.

I hope more players would be interested to pvp in this patch, maybe we see the true results after months, probably at beginning there will be some problems.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

The new system will take more parameters into account. In order to not lengthen the queue times they probably merged the two systems (solo and team). If pvp gets more popular they surely can split ’em again in the future.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

They are sorting those issues out though? That’s my point.

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

They are sorting those issues out though? That’s my point.

Hotjoin: just… what. It’s a mess. It’s wrong. It’s horrible. It has to die.
It is not an acceptable way to introduce new players to PvP.
I’ll go into detail if you want, but I’d really rather not think about it any more.

Soloq? Hello, multiple 4v5 matches a day! Hello, messed up matchmaking with an exploitable leaderboard! Hello, 3+ Engineers (or whatever the current top soloq-carry-build is) in every single match!

And then there’s teamq, where you either run with a premade or get steamrolled by premades.

Combining the ranked queues will certainly help a lot with population issues, too – a bunch of comps can use single players, with 1+1+1+1+1, 2+1+1+1, 2+2+1, 3+1+1. Since the matchmaking will prioritise group sizes, there won’t be nearly so much worry of getting matched against a premeade as five randoms – and we can hope that profession-based MMR and other MMR improvements will make it less likely to end up with wildly different skill levels on a team.

So yeah, the existing queues (and hotjoin) have serious problems that can’t be fixed while they’re in their current forms – they really do need to change.

Also, on the population thing: as said, combining the queues will instantly increase the player pool. Having a fun unranked queue as the first PvP mode pushed at new players – rather than the perma-4v5 (with skilled players stacked on the 5) anti-beginner mess that hotjoin is – might get more of them to stick around. We should definitely get a boom in population for the weeks after the patch launches, too – and hopefully we’ll manage to keep them!

in PvP

Posted by: eyesrutherford.1357

eyesrutherford.1357

Webwill never know how this will work till we give it a try. But I’ll say this just like hundreds of others. Just give us 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 single life death match rated arenas already. We have been asking for this for a long long time now. They want to bring the spark back into pvp. Well this is it. Players are getting more and more bored of the game all the time. This is one thing that could bring back some player base. You could reward teams with high enough rating titles and random titles as your 2v2 or whatever team gains higher ratings. Also you could give exclusive account bound skins to players who manage to have their team hit certain ratings. We even already have a map that’s perfect for arenas already- courtyard. Which this map was thrown in basically as a tease in my opinion.

~Zïpples~ ~Honey~ ~Lexisety~
~Tamiyo~ ~Lord Mockingbird~

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I agree with at least a 3v3 type ranked matchup. It’s very much needed/wanted.

As for the upcoming changes I can now join teamQ without worrying too much about getting face rolled by premades because it wont hurt my rating as much.
If I hit the 400 point line it may actually improve it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Hugs.1856

Hugs.1856

I think the overall pvp population is pretty large to be honest. It’s the number of full 5-man teams playing regularly that is probably quite thin:p

But even if you assume the players’ pool to be small, that’s exactly the reason why you want to merge teamq and soloQ. I mean if the total’s small already why further reduce it by splitting the player base?

Splitting the player base is a heavy design decision and should only happen if:

1/ there is no cannibalisation phenomenon between the parts
2/ the players’ pool is actually too large to feel a sense of progress.

On the other side the main advantage you get from merging the queues:

1/ better chances to have balanced matches (assuming the pairing algorithm is robust enough)
2/ more contacts with “direct proof of skills” between teams and players, which greatly increases the odds of finding teams and networking.
3/ shorter queue times.

Now.

Where Le kitten is the team ladder after 7,5 years of development:p :p :p