Tournament Of Legends: Signups and Dates

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

Ok I am very scared of this “randomization” thing Blu mentioned… my team was recently put together and hasn’t participated in any previous events, yet we are expecting to seriously compete in this competition. If we don’t get in the tourny after a month of work due to pulling the short stick it will be extremely frustrating.

And then imagine seeing random pve scrubs (too harsh words.. i know :P ) playing against good fights at first round. Just because there are a few good teams left doesnt mean the rest of the population is the same.There are bad players..and then there are even worse

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done about this because we are using a single elimination bracket. My advice to teams is to prepare yourself for that matchup when/if it happens, because if you are gunning for the Legendary, you will have to go up against those teams eventually anyway. Brackets will come out 1 week for each tournament, so research your opponent, and try to find ways to counter them. I would also encourage any teams to play in the weekly cups as practice for the tournament if you are worried about getting matched up against these teams in the first round.

Back on the preliminaries/randomization topic, getting CAs from ArenaNet isn’t necessarily an issue. Im going to speak with my admin team over the next few days to discuss some stuff about this, expect a follow up post in regards to this in a few days.

Edit: If you guys have ideas on how you think we could better handle the situation in regards to team overflow, leave it here.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

Posted by: Vegito.3048

Vegito.3048

Time to roll the dice.

Rantev [Warrior]

in PvP

Posted by: Venus In Furs.9756

Venus In Furs.9756

Thinking ahead, I really do think the number of entrants is a “good problem” to have, but obviously it calls for some sort of contingency plan. Perhaps qualifier points can be (re)introduced sometime in the future for this purpose? Similarly, taking cues from sanctioned Magic: the Gathering Grand Prix events, maybe teams can earn byes for large tournaments based on their placement in weekly ESL/Mist League events? I know these suggestions may not solve the current predicament, but they may provide incentive for teams to compete in the months between tournaments of this scale.

Venus – #666 Necromancer NA

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

Thinking ahead, I really do think the number of entrants is a “good problem” to have, but obviously it calls for some sort of contingency plan.

I absolutely agree. The issue of having too many teams has yet to happen in a guild wars 2 tournament, and while its certainly a great thing (that it’s happening), one of the biggest things ill be taking away from this event is how to handle a scenario such as this. While I was certainly expecting a lot of teams to sign up for this, it blew my mind that we saw over 100 submissions in the first 24 hours. This is easily going to be the largest project I’ve taken the helm of in virtually my entire lifespan so its very exciting and frightening to me at the same time, but I am extremely committed to this event, and will try to do whatever it takes to make it a success.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Thinking ahead, I really do think the number of entrants is a “good problem” to have, but obviously it calls for some sort of contingency plan.

I absolutely agree. The issue of having too many teams has yet to happen in a guild wars 2 tournament, and while its certainly a great thing (that it’s happening), one of the biggest things ill be taking away from this event is how to handle a scenario such as this.

If I could provide any possible suggestion as to select the most deserving teams for the potentially limited seats:

• At a public, specified time, take a snapshot of individual player’s rating according to the leaderboards.
  • That snapshot would include the player’s Solo Queue and Team Queue rating. The greater one would be chosen.
  • Add each player’s value to ceate a cumulated team value. Assign a new value to every team. Take the top 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192 valued teams, or to infinity and beyond, as indicated by the time & resource constraints.

With this method, teams would have a known period and deadline to qualify themselves just simply by playing the game. If your team only intends to PvP for the tournament, (and you PvE/WvW for all of your other gameplay sessions), then accept whatever limitations are imposed. If schedules don’t accommodate Team Queue practice, Solo Queue during free time is a viable way for individual team members to raise the team’s value.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

(edited by Chaith.8256)

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

I absolutely agree. The issue of having too many teams has yet to happen in a guild wars 2 tournament, and while its certainly a great thing (that it’s happening), one of the biggest things ill be taking away from this event is how to handle a scenario such as this.

If I could provide any possible suggestion as to select the most deserving teams for the potentially limited seats:

• At a public, specified time, take a snapshot of individual player’s rating according to the leaderboards.
  • That snapshot would include the player’s Solo Queue and Team Queue rating. The greater one would be chosen.
  • Add each player’s value to ceate a cumulated team value. Assign a new value to every team. Take the top 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192 valued teams, or to infinity and beyond, as indicated by the time & resource constraints.

With this method, teams would have a known period and deadline to qualify themselves just simply by playing the game. If your team only intends to PvP for the tournament, (and you PvE/WvW for all of your other gameplay sessions), then accept whatever limitations are imposed. If schedules don’t accommodate Team Queue practice, Solo Queue during free time is a viable way for individual team members to raise the team’s value.

I think something like this would be the most fair approach to this issue.

It gets rid of all forms of non-LB biases and would supposedly allow players and teams enough time to get a fair amount of games in to showcase their true MMR on that given period of time.

While many people have issues with the MMR system, I would definitely support this approach as opposed to any others that immediately come to mind.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

While many people have issues with the MMR system, I would definitely support this approach as opposed to any others that immediately come to mind.

Yes, the accuracy of the current MMR system is not very defensible. Despite this, at least it is a supported system of the game, and I feel we should use it. It would accurately identify teams that have never participated in the PvP game mode. I’m sure exceptions will occur, such as: “I recently had my account banned”, or “I just transfered from EU”, but there’s no reason why admins couldn’t override it.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Vegito.3048

Vegito.3048

Yes, the accuracy of the current MMR system is not very defensible. Despite this, at least it is a supported system of the game, and I feel we should use it. It would accurately identify teams that have never participated in the PvP game mode. I’m sure exceptions will occur, such as: “I recently had my account banned”, or “I just transfered from EU”, but there’s no reason why admins couldn’t override it.

To add to this approach, I would like to suggest the idea that only players with an arbitrary number of games (e.g. only players who have played 100 games or more) played should be considered. Players with a low number of games have a tendency to be extremely volatile across the leaderboards, meaning that you could have someone with only 17 games be rank 18 on the solo que leaderboards (speaking from past experience).

That volatility is less likely to be a problem and a source of abuse if there is a set number of games one must have played in order to have their leaderboard rank considered.

Rantev [Warrior]

in PvP

Posted by: Rubik.7192

Rubik.7192

Chaith has the right idea. It’s pretty obvious a lot of pveers are forming up just to yolo into the tournament, hoping to place 5th-8th since there’s nothing to lose. Not only would letting them all play be a waste of the organisers’ and viewer’s time, legitimate teams might end up facing each other instead of against the pveers in the preliminaries while pveers might get lucky and face each other. Worst case scenario, the pveers would end up getting to the 16-32 team rounds and will be streamed getting 500-0’d.

What’s your solution to the issue, then? Completely random? First come first serve? Highest ranked teams/players? Reserve spots for 1-2 teams and RNG the rest?

Live with whatever Blu feels is most feasible based on how much energy he intends to invest in this completely awesome and thoughtful event for the GW2 community.

Yeah because you will have a guaranteed spot in it so why should you care.

This has been advertised as a tournament available for everyone, but the way it stands out now it is not. Many many people will just waste their time forming a team, planning, rescheduling their jobs if they have them on that weekend and everything.

Why does someone who wins and participates in tourneys all the time have more right than some newbie who wants to try it out and start pvping? I believe that everyone should have equal chance for this tourney because that is exactly how it has been advertising. So stick to your promises.

They had plenty of time to sign up for other tournaments such as the Mistpedia/ESL weeklys. If they want to “try it out and start pvping”, let them try team queuing and getting ranked before participating. At this rate, we’re going to have a bunch of rabbit/dolyak ranks signing up for a slim chance of some shinies

Curie.
“I’m so hard right now” – Ozie, in solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Anet should step up and help ya.
But gw2 isn’t in the position to just chose who gets to play or not. Everyone who signs up should be able to play. In the future you can change this, but now it’s too late imo.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I want to point out that the main thing that was used to advertise this tournament was: “everyone has a chance to participate and win a legendary”.
There is nothing stating that newbies are not allowed in, that you must have a certain position on the leaderboard or that you have to be a “known” team (known to organizers). All suggestions so far are just aimed towards making this an invitational style tournament (either via position on the leaderboard or being known), but this should really be what it’s advertise for. Give everyone equal chance.

Also, you should be happy and proud that you have so many interested teams and you should not mess them up. Getting the proper amount of teams is not a problem if tournament is good. If tournament sucks then you will not have enough teams, it’s that simple. You should put the most effort you can into making this actually work and making it enjoyable for everyone who puts in their time and effort. Also, ask help from people who are more experienced in organising such events.

Personally I think that this would be so awesome if Anet organised it. They are way more experienced and would find a way to fit everyone in and give them a chance. Also, a shoutcaster should not be an organiser too because he is too biased in so many ways.

Also, whatever method is used, I hope it will be known to public how exactly the teams were selected and under what criteria. Right now on the official advertisement blog post it just says free for everyone, nothing about reserved slots nor leaderboard ranking required (as I mentioned above already), and teams who registered are counting on that.

My advice: have a qualifier round or two and ask Anet for more help. And keep in mind that there are many excellent teams who just play during different time zones and can’t participate in tournaments. So if you choose to do it the lame way first inform yourself about that and don’t just let your “friends” in.

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I want to congratulate Super’s team on the victory.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: prozon.3561

prozon.3561

Ye simple as that….

Keep in mind this is a PVP Event in general, so why should pve’ers get a tournament slot instead of a pvp Team?

There is only one Way to select a number of deserved participation, and thats the broken leaderboard….

You’re planning to start the tournament with 16 Teams one day, so at least its possible to select 32 teams for this Event.

The first matches will be held by the Teams personally, that means at this time you throw out the brackets each Team “leader” recieve an Email with the information and contact of his first match enemy Team.

Teams than have time till1 day before the main Event starts, 8pm for example, to complete their first match. It will be a 1-round single elimination on Forest of Nifhel. Winning Teams take a screenshot and send it to an specified Admin.

How to choose:

You have all 5 Accounts from each Team, that may be a bit work but lets be honest, thats the only “fair” decision could be done.

Go into the Leaderboards, (Team Q only tbh), and sum all the ranks of a signed Team together (1+2+3+4+5) /5 = Team rank.

Your 32 best Teams are able to participate at the tournament. Than split your brackets that you’ll have the most enjoying matchups on your stream and main event day, same as you did at the ESL every week.

Information:

You force the teams to practise from now till the event starts, if a averaged rank 300 Team is winning 10 matches they will race up huge so “outranked” guys still have a chance to get an slot in the tournament… If any Pve players that didnt played Team q at all at the moment are thinking they have a chance winning some of these rewards it would be no problem for them to get into top 100 Leaderboards in one Week…. fair enough. Otherwise people just get farmed 500:XX and in general a totally boring tournament.

www.twitch.tv/mufasapk

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

How many teams have registered for the tournament so far?

in PvP

Posted by: Anti.9156

Anti.9156

i think the solution with temq-leaderboards is a good idea. Make a statement (as soon as possible), so everybody knows whats up, and then they have enough time to get a good enough rank in the (teamq) leaderboards

edit: you may make a thread where people who want to help you can join you. Its not that hard to get into top 300, so if you could handle 64 team, no one could complain (even pve/wvw players would have a chance). It would mean that top 320 or even worse could participate ( not everyone in top 300 will join this event)

(edited by Anti.9156)

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

This thing is a PR disaster for anet.

The reason I say that is they promote the tournament and for the first time ever 1000’s of PvEers (the people who must be attracted to pvp for it to survive) get attracted to PvP. And then what? They will be told “Sorry you can’t play because these PvP teams are playing”. How demoralising is that for them?

In addition, the top teams should actually probably be banned from the tournament. If you have a ton of teams and actively decide teams like 55HP will be let in then what will happen? They will just 500-0 all the new players with their full on cheese mode comp and this will:
1, Be terrible viewing
2, Leave a horrible taste in the mouth of new players to PvP, as they get 333333ed down all game

I think Anet should of thought this through more. ATM this tournament looks like it will just be a PR disaster and help to kill GW2 even more.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

Ban the top pvp teams from a tournament has been a long time coming for them and something to legitimize the time they’ve invested in pvp?? Good joke…

in PvP

Posted by: Mouby.7096

Mouby.7096

This thing is a PR disaster for anet.

The reason I say that is they promote the tournament and for the first time ever 1000’s of PvEers (the people who must be attracted to pvp for it to survive) get attracted to PvP. And then what? They will be told “Sorry you can’t play because these PvP teams are playing”. How demoralising is that for them?

In addition, the top teams should actually probably be banned from the tournament. If you have a ton of teams and actively decide teams like 55HP will be let in then what will happen? They will just 500-0 all the new players with their full on cheese mode comp and this will:
1, Be terrible viewing
2, Leave a horrible taste in the mouth of new players to PvP, as they get 333333ed down all game

I think Anet should of thought this through more. ATM this tournament looks like it will just be a PR disaster and help to kill GW2 even more.

You’re trolling right?

So for the first time ever there is a rewarding tournament for a small amount of players (talking about the winners in this case) who did basically keep playing over a long period of time even tho they didn’t get anything.

And know you want to BAN the only ppl rly playing pvp and supporting it and give some pve scrubs legendaries for NOTHING?

You want to ban skilled players to increase the winning chance of some pve players who don’t care about pvp at all.

I’m pretty much speechless now.

They should choose the teams regarding their ranking on the leaderboards (teamq). They could limit the amount of teams allowed to participate in the tournament to 64 per region which would allow every player in the top 320 to participate. Regarding the fact not everyone in this spectrum will take part in the tournament it’s rather soemthing like all teams in the top 500. And cmon….if you can’t make it in the top 500 you wont stand a chance in this tournament anyways (and Streaming 500-0 matches is pretty dumb and lame tho).

in PvP

butch.8136

Banning the top pvp teams would be a PR disaster.
The problem is that they underestimated it and now, yet again, there’ll have to be some cleaning up to do.

They state there’ll be a 16team cap but at the same time they tell us that they’ll expand the cap. That’s very nice and all, but without criteria it’s just bound to get messy. In any case, the cat’s out of the bag. There will be rage unless you manage to let everyone participate.

As for viewing the tournament. Don’t stream every match, only start streaming from the quarter finals. People want to see competitive matchups, or atleast no cringe-worthy gameplay. That’s not elitism that’s just the way it is.

Anyway, lessons to be learned. I do hope Anet helps Blu & co out. Next time be a bit more precise and consequent.

in PvP

Posted by: Mouby.7096

Mouby.7096

Might not be fair but it is the most logical solution if this tournament is to help the game actually grow. You can be all high and mighty about it, but my idea is best for the game as a whole

You think this game will grow in terms of pvp if you spit on every veteran pvp player out there? Guess what, everyone will finally leave gw2 and pvp will become pve 2.0.

I still think you’re trolling.

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

Appreciate having a dedicated spot, thank you blu ! <3

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Top 16 teams get in:

• 1-5th the “named” teams who need no introduction are in automaticaly
  • 6-16th are in on average rating on the ladderboards
  • All other have to fight untill we have 16 left ( spot 17-32nd).

Possibility of expanded brackets was already mentioned in the Anet post, its same in other sports.
- 16x team turny for main event saturday and sunday
-32x to 16x on friday
- 128x -64x – 32x the whole week before

You post this rules on the 14th, giving everyone 1 week to prepare. BLU just needs to find some mapower who can be official judge for the ton of qualifiying matches

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: mrook.4163

mrook.4163

As someone who is not planning to participate, I fully support the reserved spots. I don’t want to watch games where teams ignore Keep to kill Svanir, cap points with 3 people, or any other hotjoin shenanigans we will see if random teams make it to the streamed matches. A good spectator experience comes from skilled play. I remember getting excited throughout the games when then Team Sleepy fought MiM. Those moments won’t happen if the people playing don’t know what they’re doing, and those are the moments that inspire people to compete.

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I wish we had enough staff to do qualifiers. That’d solve most of the issues on deciding who gets to participate.

Do pools of X players and then let top 2 participate in each pool. Randomize pools with some arbitrary selection so not many top seeded teams are in the same pool. Instead of having a 3 map rotation, just leave it at 1 map match for pools to make it faster and simpler. Even if you lose 1 match, if you beat 9 other people in your pool then your 9:1 ratio would make you high in the pool and etc.

With qualifiers, everyone has an equal chance. Also doing the split between seeded/high ranked teams makes it so we don’t lose a majority of the well-known competitive teams (due to pool structure of only top 2 getting through) so there’s a lower chance viewers will spectate a one-sided match when the tournament comes—because those high ranked teams are more likely to make it to the finals—Not saying that other teams cannot beat them, but it’s a fair move IMO.

Also another good thing about pools is it shows a team’s consistency since you play against various teams to qualify.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

(edited by ArcTheFallen.7682)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@blu,

Not sure how many have signed up for EU vs NA. Let’s assume there is an equal split and you end up with 80 teams in each region. I’d suggest something like the following.

64 teams make the bracket
56 teams are random selected. 8 are by your choice. The 8 would become the top seeds in each of the 4 brackets (think march madness).

The main point here is that you want to communicate with people upfront exactly how many spots will be random vs your choice.

Just a suggestion…

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

1-round matches for faster process sounds fine to me for lower qualifiers

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Rezz.8019

1-round matches for faster process sounds fine to me for lower qualifiers

Yup they should be 1-round and everyone should be in them, no exceptions, no one left out. Those good teams will pass it without any problem if they really are that good anyway.

in PvP

Rickster.8752

Might not be fair but it is the most logical solution if this tournament is to help the game actually grow. You can be all high and mighty about it, but my idea is best for the game as a whole

You think this game will grow in terms of pvp if you spit on every veteran pvp player out there? Guess what, everyone will finally leave gw2 and pvp will become pve 2.0.

Not trolling but maybe I didn’t think things through clearly. I get your point. But I also think it would be a shame if newbies come to the pvp and just get demoralised by being trashed 500-0 or by practicing and then being told that sorry they didnt get a place because they weren’t “known”.

So there is no easy solution really. The arguement of people getting farmed meaning they will think “wow look at their skill, I better get playing” is similar to the reason for having gear in pvp. “Wow, we got farmed, AWESOME!! Lets spend another year getting farmed to finally get geared! Woop woop!”.

Blu is probably the gw2 community MVP, so the tournament is in good hands. But still, I dont think there is an easy solution to all this. I can see both sides but I think the needs of those coming to pvp for the first time should be put ahead of the veteran pvpers

In short, this tournament SHOULD cater to the casuals and newbies imo. It is what the game needs

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

Not trolling but maybe I didn’t think things through clearly. I get your point. But I also think it would be a shame if newbies come to the pvp and just get demoralised by being trashed 500-0 or by practicing and then being told that sorry they didnt get a place because they weren’t “known”.

So there is no easy solution really. The arguement of people getting farmed meaning they will think “wow look at their skill, I better get playing” is similar to the reason for having gear in pvp. “Wow, we got farmed, AWESOME!! Lets spend another year getting farmed to finally get geared! Woop woop!”.

Blu is probably the gw2 community MVP, so the tournament is in good hands. But still, I dont think there is an easy solution to all this. I can see both sides but I think the needs of those coming to pvp for the first time should be put ahead of the veteran pvpers

In short, this tournament SHOULD cater to the casuals and newbies imo. It is what the game needs

If you want to win tournaments you have to practice. It’s nobodies fault but their own if they get 500-0. Im tan, built, ex-military, 24 years old, going to college, lay pipe on the regular, and still hold rank 1 and win tournaments. It’s possible for anyone bud.

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Rezz.8019

I agree with this. And who is to say someone is known or not? I doubt he knows Karmy and his SW guildies, or June guild, or UC, or many, many others who definitely have a decent chance of beating everyone, including “known” teams.

Also, I believe that Anet guys would organise this much, much better. At least they are not teenagers and have way more experience with this. I hope they will get inspired and host the next one, properly.

But I still have hope that this one will work out. Let’s see if it will be what it was advertised to be or it will be some type of yet another boring invitational with same teams as always.

in PvP

Rickster.8752

I agree with this. And who is to say someone is known or not? I doubt he knows Karmy and his SW guildies, or June guild, or UC, or many, many others who definitely have a decent chance of beating everyone, including “known” teams.

Also, I believe that Anet guys would organise this much, much better. At least they are not teenagers and have way more experience with this. I hope they will get inspired and host the next one, properly.

But I still have hope that this one will work out. Let’s see if it will be what it was advertised to be or it will be some type of yet another boring invitational with same teams as always.

Disagree, it can be organised well by the community especially with Blu who is really good. So I dont think anything needs to change in that respect.

But I had kind of hoped this tournament would bring new players into pvp from pve and wvw. I would love if this was the aim of the tournament. But if they aim is simply to reward those most hardcore players then fine. That is cool too, just a missed opportunity from my point of view.

The best 2/3 players I have ever play with or against are all people who rarely PvP but spend most of their time in WvW or PvE. And I have played with or against everyone of any renown in PvP. The fact is PvE and WvW have a way bigger player base so it is no surprise that the absolute best/most talented guys come from these game modes. The problem is that the barrier to entry for them is huge and they tend to love rewards. If this tournament could bring these people, and others who aren’t as talented, into spvp (finally) then we could really see esports get going.

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The fact that you’re relying on the leaderboards as a show of skill makes me cry on in the inside chaith. We know it’s broken, you know it’s broken. Just walk away from the idea. If this tournament has any potential of not becoming a kitten storm, then they need to have qualifiers. Simple as that. And if your argument is going to be something around the lines of, “well we can’t have qualifiers because we don’t have the people to manage it.” Then you shouldn’t have even announced a tournament to begin with. If you can’t do it right, then don’t even try.

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.4830

Mike.4830

Disagree, it can be organised well by the community especially with Blu who is really good. So I dont think anything needs to change in that respect.

But I had kind of hoped this tournament would bring new players into pvp from pve and wvw. I would love if this was the aim of the tournament. But if they aim is simply to reward those most hardcore players then fine. That is cool too, just a missed opportunity from my point of view.

The best 2/3 players I have ever play with or against are all people who rarely PvP but spend most of their time in WvW or PvE. And I have played with or against everyone of any renown in PvP. The fact is PvE and WvW have a way bigger player base so it is no surprise that the absolute best/most talented guys come from these game modes. The problem is that the barrier to entry for them is huge and they tend to love rewards. If this tournament could bring these people, and others who aren’t as talented, into spvp (finally) then we could really see esports get going.

First of all, I have no idea who you are, and im certain I have never lost to you or your “renown” friends. Secondly the reason Pvers dont play PvP is because they are inclined to continue clicking their skills. As far as WvW, there is little to no skill required in zergs and roamers are still not near the lvl of pvpers. WvWers rely on broken stats and gear, and are quite inferior to PvP. Even guilds like Apex, which was orignally PvP only has transitioned to WvW because they were not top tier pvpers. However in WvW they are very good.. You WvWers and PvErs will soon learn your place in the skill heirachy.
-Backpack

Backpack God
The Absurd [RIP] ESL Go4 Weekly Winners
Outplayed By Children [GG] ToL 2 Winners

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I am all about this tourney being half invitational/half open. It’s like the Masters. They invite the best players and also have things that earn you spots.

I do however think a fully open tournament like the U.S. Open is the way to go every once in a while. You should think about that Blu: 4 Tourneys a year that are the “Majors” like tennis and golf have. They could have different formats too and use different maps.

By the comments and the number of sign-ups, I would say there is precedent for people wanting to do this. An Open format tourney with a qualifier would be amazing. The rewards would have to be there, but this is exactly why changing the ranks is a big deal. More people that never play PvP will now because there are things to earn that exclusively drop in PvP. The first step to a fixed PvP is having people that play it. The rest can come later.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

Would really be helpful if the tpvp leaderboard ranked teams w/ registered rosters instead of individuals. If tournaments of this magnitude and popularity are the way forward, and it sure seems like that would be a good thing, then it’s high time the LB became team based.

Chaith’s proposal is probably your best option. What alternatives are there? If you form a team and consistently play w/ that team in tpvp, you’ll get in the leaderboards if you’re good enough. A team LB would help the effort immensely, but that just isn’t an option.

Who knows, maybe you make an official announcement, set the lock-off date and anet gives you a full player list on the lock-off day of all NA/EU player ranks in a spreadsheet, so you can accurately gauge the combined “team’s” ranking. It’s just a lot of manual work.

I do like the idea of reserving a few slots for special invitations and such. Looking forward to this tourney regardless.

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Rezz.8019

The fact that you’re relying on the leaderboards as a show of skill makes me cry on in the inside chaith. We know it’s broken, you know it’s broken. Just walk away from the idea. If this tournament has any potential of not becoming a kitten storm, then they need to have qualifiers. Simple as that. And if you’re argument is going to be something around the lines of, “well we can’t have qualifiers because we don’t have the people to manage it.” Then you shouldn’t have even announced a tournament to begin with. If you can’t do it right, then don’t even try.

Countless

Perfectly said. I completely agree with this, all of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

First of all, I have no idea who you are, and im certain I have never lost to you or your “renown” friends. Secondly the reason Pvers dont play PvP is because they are inclined to continue clicking their skills. As far as WvW, there is little to no skill required in zergs and roamers are still not near the lvl of pvpers. WvWers rely on broken stats and gear, and are quite inferior to PvP. Even guilds like Apex, which was orignally PvP only has transitioned to WvW because they were not top tier pvpers. However in WvW they are very good.. You WvWers and PvErs will soon learn your place in the skill heirachy.
-Backpack

Haha Backpack pretty much hits the nail on the head here.

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

The fact that you’re relying on the leaderboards as a show of skill makes me cry on in the inside chaith. We know it’s broken, you know it’s broken. Just walk away from the idea. If this tournament has any potential of not becoming a kitten storm, then they need to have qualifiers. Simple as that. And if you’re argument is going to be something around the lines of, “well we can’t have qualifiers because we don’t have the people to manage it.” Then you shouldn’t have even announced a tournament to begin with. If you can’t do it right, then don’t even try.

Countless

Perfectly said. I completely agree with this, all of it.

Just curious how you think this would be better than using the LB? LB ranks you based on your performance (wins/losses) in matches, and you say that’s not the way to go, the way to go is by holding try-outs where you’ll rank players based on their wins and losses?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but given that the LB (team, not solo queue, solo queue leaderboard probably useless for this tourney) will do this for them, why bother with all the extra effort of holding these try-out tourneys? Do you think the resulting tourney roster from a try-out system would be that different from using the top ranking players on the LB?

Why can’t the LB be used? What’s wrong with it? The system is likely fine, its that many players can’t seem to stick together as a team. The whole point is sticking together as a team, playing as a team and achieving success as a team.

Saying the LB is broken and shouldn’t be used is fine, but you probably want to provide the details as to why.

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

-Backpack

not gonna say I’m disagreeing but I’m disagreeing. just look at caed and toker, tons of wvw thieves can beat them 1v1 8+/10 times.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

-Backpack

First of all, I don’t know what water people are drinking on this thread, but people seem to be delusional lol. Ban the top tpvp teams lol? I understand your point but at the same time do you see how selfish that is. I just can’t even begin to fathom the thought behind that.

Secondly, Backpack is right about the WvW players are not on pvper’s level of competitiveness. Also backpack dont try to call out Apex as if we transitioned to WvW because we weren’t top tier players lol. Last time I checked we are still the #1 team NA and were still top tier pvp’rs before you even knew what gw2 was, so get your facts straight. U have never been on a team to even talk like that.

Thirdly, I agree with five gauge and style about their options for choosing the other teams who aren’t recognized.
a) Treat it like march madness. Have a top seed from Blu’s chosen teams, be the#1 seed in each of their perspective brackets.
b) To choose the rest of the team, have some preliminaries or have those team build up their team rating and give seeding/placement based on that. There is still plenty of time for teams to que. In most sports, you get into a tournament based on your seeding. So if we had a similar system where teams got chosen based on a team’s MMR/rating in the last couple of weeks, I don’t see and issue. You want the best 56 teams that can compete as opposed to some random group of 56 teams. If this tournament is to hold up to its name and why we are getting legends, nothing less then the best should be qualified.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in PvP

Rickster.8752

-Backpack

Not really true what you wrote though. You can keep believing it if you like. Besides it is just my opinion, you can have a different one. The best players I have seen don’t play pvp much. And I speak as almost exclusively a PvP player. So I have no bias here. I have seen wvw and pve players way better than me or anyone else I have ever played with or against in pvp. If you havent then you probably need to broaden your horizons.

in PvP

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

-Backpack

not gonna say I’m disagreeing but I’m disagreeing. just look at caed and toker, tons of wvw thieves can beat them 1v1 8+/10 times.

You do know most of the thieves from WvW run Shadow Arts? They can’t live without that trait line, take that off of them and they can’t even live for 10 seconds. Not bashing on all WvW Players, some of them are good, but most of them rely on over 100% crit damage lol and run PVT/Cavaliers.

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

in PvP

Darek.1836

-Backpack

You do know most of the thieves from WvW run Shadow Arts? They can’t live without that trait line, take that off of them and they can’t even live for 10 seconds. Not bashing on all WvW Players, some of them are good, but most of them rely on over 100% crit damage lol and run PVT/Cavaliers.

yes if we’re talking about the bad thieves… I’m not..

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

-Backpack

You are both right and wrong here.

The right part:
The 1v1 skill level is higher in upper level PvP than in the top WvW roaming groups. I specific upper level here, because of course there are bad people in PvP and WvW.

The wrong part:
Zerging takes no skill. Not really accurate. If it was, than whoever has the most people would win every fight. Smaller groups can beat larger groups. It’s funny how little PvP people know about WvW and how little WvW people know about PvP (see below).

The part you’d probably agree with but didn’t say:
If the best 5 1v1 duelers in the game joined the same team, it doesn’t mean they would win. What a WvW person doesn’t understand is that it is not only about individual skill in a PvP match. It is about working well with the team. It is about knowing how to rotate. It is about knowing when to attack an NPC or to fight for a point. It is about understanding timing of events. This is all important strategy that some random from PvE or WvW won’t understand even if they happen to be a fantastic dueler.

in PvP

butch.8136

Take that WvW crap somewhere else. This is about the tournament and giving input.

So any update, Blu?

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

-Backpack

1v1 thief <> good spvp thief. If they can’t play well with a team they are just a scrub. You do realize most spvp players don’t play builds with the intent of winning 1v1s? They play builds for team comp and then try to win with it in any scenario (teamfight/1v1). So yeah, let’s make a big deal about thieves who dedicate their build for 1v1s winning against thieves who play versatile builds for actually winning the game mode we play under. Maybe when DM comes up, then bring it up.

Back on topic, I don’t see why we can’t push this tournament later and put in qualifiers. It’s not like the rewards are gonna disappear if we wait.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Hold the entire tourny on Skyhammer….nuff said

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Lux.7169

Oh sweet, you should money match me. 50g per kill. I’m not even at caed’s level so this should be easy gold for you.

[SoF]

in PvP

Darek.1836

Oh sweet, you should money match me. 50g per kill. I’m not even at caed’s level so this should be easy gold for you.

ok

-Backpack

1v1 thief <> good spvp thief. If they can’t play well with a team they are just a scrub. You do realize most spvp players don’t play builds with the intent of winning 1v1s? They play builds for team comp and then try to win with it in any scenario (teamfight/1v1). So yeah, let’s make a big deal about thieves who dedicate their build for 1v1s winning against thieves who play versatile builds for actually winning the game mode we play under. Maybe when DM comes up, then bring it up.

Back on topic, I don’t see why we can’t push this tournament later and put in qualifiers. It’s not like the rewards are gonna disappear if we wait.

pretty much all theives run 10 30 0 0 30 or 10 0 0 30 30 so idk what you’re talking about

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

(edited by Darek.1836)

in PvP

Lux.7169

ok

-Backpack

pretty much all theives run 10 30 0 0 30 or 10 0 0 30 30 so idk what you’re talking about

I’m in-game now. Let’s roll.

[SoF]