Unblockable and Instant

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Putrid Explosion. The one skill with a double whammy.

When I fight any class and I lose, I always analyze what I could have done to defend myself against whatever their biggest attacks are. Every time I fight a Minon Necro, I’m just left sitting there thinking to myself…. there’s actually very little one can do to defend against that skill. I mean, sure AoEs could nuke them down but unblockable and instant? If it’s a case of the minions dieing fast, isn’t the instant cast enough to make the skill worthwhile?
Is the unblockable part really neccessary?

Having both really narrows the counters to such a skill to, AoEs, In melee; Spam dodge, spam blind. No one’s going to or wants to spam dodge in hopes that the necro blows up his minions whilst he’s dodging, not everyone’s got insane amounts of vigor and blind abilities that the Putrid Explosion becomes a non-issue…

The thing is the skill hits for a crapton of damage already, it’s instant already, meaning it’s hard to see coming anyway. Making it unblockable is just like adding salt to an injury.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

It is another reason to hate passive AI builds.

Can’t argue anything you say. The only “counter-play” to it is knowing that the Bone Minions by themselves can’t kill you. An MM necro needs an accumulation of hits to down anyone. It is basically uncounterable counter-pressure that forces you to back up and reset if they happen to land it.

Personally I think that it would be better if they behaved like a clone shatter with a smaller radius.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

You already said some of the drawbacks of Putrid Explosion. You can burn down the Bone Minions with aoe before they can even explode. You can dodge, block, or blind the attack. And the necro can’t really control the place where the minions are gonna explode. Note that there are two Bone Minions and they do not move in sync with each other, so it takes a bit of skill on the Necro’s part to be aware of each of the Bone Minion’s location and which one is gonna explode first. And AFAIK, it ain’t instant and has 1sec cast time.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Dirame.8521

You already said some of the drawbacks of Putrid Explosion. You can burn down the Bone Minions with aoe before they can even explode. You can dodge, block, or blind the attack. And the necro can’t really control the place where the minions are gonna explode. Note that there are two Bone Minions and they do not move in sync with each other, so it takes a bit of skill on the Necro’s part to be aware of each of the Bone Minion’s location and which one is gonna explode first. And AFAIK, it ain’t instant and has 1sec cast time.

It can’t be blocked and it is instant. I play Necro amongst other things so I know this.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

It can’t be blocked and it is instant. I play Necro amongst other things so I know this.

I have a necro too and the main reason I don’t use Bone Minions that much is because Putrid Explosion has a cast time.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Bone minions have a rather long cast time, position time, pathing issues, low HP. If your game breaking issue is with bone minions, you might wanna step it up… Evade, use some ranged, aoe, chill/cc them couple things you can do to not die from a 2k explosion…

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

Ever fought a warrior on the skyhammer with fear me? AOE unblockable instant cast 0 animation fear. thats lasts 3s. lol putrid explosion isn’t a priority to fix man.

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

never had this issue in gw1..MM’s just weren’t viable at all in pvp, and when they were given a build for pvp, you could only have so many created at one time and relied heavily on opposition getting downed to produce more. Seems this formula wasn’t accounted for in gw2. In gw1 it was recognised that MM’s are best kept to pve, where even there they had a ceiling limit as to how many you could have active. I am happy to see the MM cross from gw1 to gw2..but they are just not an entirely appropriate build for pvp, even though I do recognize that some do find them fun to play, and a game should be fun first and fore most.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Ever fought a warrior on the skyhammer with fear me? AOE unblockable instant cast 0 animation fear. thats lasts 3s. lol putrid explosion isn’t a priority to fix man.

^token guy that enters a thread about something specific and brings it back to warrior some how.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Dirame.8521

I have a necro too and the main reason I don’t use Bone Minions that much is because Putrid Explosion has a cast time.

A burst Necro was one of my first builds in GW2 and Putrid Explosion’s instant cast was one of the reasons why I picked it. You telling me it has a cast time like I can’t read is just silly tbh.

Bone minions have a rather long cast time, position time, pathing issues, low HP. If your game breaking issue is with bone minions, you might wanna step it up… Evade, use some ranged, aoe, chill/cc them couple things you can do to not die from a 2k explosion…

Bone minions can be pre-casted. Their AoE range is very large and it is extremely hard to time a dodge for an instant skill. Which is why I think the unblockable portion is just overkill.

(edited by Dirame.8521)

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Gallrvaghn.4921

A burst Necro was one of my first builds in GW2 and Putrid Explosion’s instant cast was one of the reasons why I picked it. You telling me it has a cast time like I can’t read is just silly tbh.

Yeah, tested it on my necro again. The explosion is instant. Summon has cast time. I somehow kept thinking the other way around. My bad :P

Regardless of my blunder, I still wouldn’t call it OP.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaker.9213

Forsaker.9213

Sec are this tread is realy about Bone minions being to srong?

-1,5s cast time
-super easy to kill
-super easy to evade
-1s cd betwen 1st and 2nd explosion

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Our characters should shout all the skills we are doing like in rpgs

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Or like pokemon rpgs our name so when I tell my necro to use charge he’ll be all “High Warlord Sikari- Sik- Sikari!”, ah yes. :}

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

I belive the problem is not that skill but all skills that are unblockable without you choose them to be with other utility. You dont have to worry to activate the unblockable attack because you dont need to. It removes some skill of the game.
Warrior is a good exemple on how it should be. You take the utility and choose when to use it. It promotes skill play.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Necro has a number of unblockable abilities though. That actually may be a flavor of the class seeing as how its the only class without a form for block/evade/tp etc, maybe its part of their niche to be able to bypass some of that from others.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

what it comes down to is never let the mm necro or his minions get anywhere near you. this is why its horrible to play against because you are forced to basicly kite them to death like in pve. unless you have some massive fast acting aoe like dps guard with spin/smite condi/tele you’re in for a long running away fight. but the putrid explosion isnt really the issue tbh, its just an ugly form of play which relies on AI. anyone who says it doesn’t rely on AI is lying to you.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

what it comes down to is never let the mm necro or his minions get anywhere near you. this is why its horrible to play against because you are forced to basicly kite them to death like in pve. unless you have some massive fast acting aoe like dps guard with spin/smite condi/tele you’re in for a long running away fight. but the putrid explosion isnt really the issue tbh, its just an ugly form of play which relies on AI. anyone who says it doesn’t rely on AI is lying to you.

Saying it relies on AI is kinda silly though. Eles have arcane spells that are instant. Engies have Static Dischage when can send out 3-4 bolts of lightning in an instant that does more damage. And all AI does is slow you don’t from positioning and lets it get killed before you can use it. I’ll tell you I’d pretty well rather have an unblockable ground targeted version of it instead. that’d be worse :P So don’t complain its AI. It could be worse if it wasn’t.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Coulter.2315

No you seem to be forgetting that while you are just watching the enemy char, they need to watch where your 4 helpers are because 1 KDs 1 immobs and the other 2 explode. So while the person playing against the AI needs to watch their positioning the necro or phantasm mesmer gets a bunch of meat shields blocking projectiles and giving them a great area of control over what space the enemy can use. Just by summoning them. Its entirely reliant on AI it gives you your area control and defense and if they get behind your opponent they can be kittened very quickly and easily. Hence kite like you’re in pve to win – which is a bit kitten for pvp. And btw “don’t complain about something kittenty it could be worse if it wasnt there” is a terrible argument.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

You’re acting like these bone minions are juggernauts xD They explode for 2k, thieves/warriors/burst eles are all way more deadly. I think you’re being a little silly. Are they annoying because of unblockable? Sure. I don’t often exlode them anyways when people are blocking because I prefer to use them in a burst CC-chain combo. Doesn’t effect me much. But are they OP? Not even close… They don’t hit that kitten hard and don’t scale with crit/power.

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Coulter.2315

Oh i don’t care about the putrid explosion i was just stating why minion builds are trashy and people who play them should be ashamed ^^

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I’m a long time MM. Not ashamed! 1v1, yeah a little bit… But they’re fun/rewarding and not OP in TPvP/2v2/3v3 type formats. They have some pretty specific issues, AoE, very vulnerable to CC. People who hate them just refuse to look at the beauty of them. They’re not like every other build where you spam your best moves and dodge the enemies. They’re like swinging a big wrecking ball, and your goal is to keep people in place so that it can hit, and trying to avoid it from being demolished. I get people don’t like them, but as much as they have their ups, they also have very demanding down sides that have to be compensated for.

Again; yes 1v1 they’re pretty annoying to fight, but they’re not the only ones!

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Posted by: Zeon.8239

Zeon.8239

You’re acting like these bone minions are juggernauts xD They explode for 2k, thieves/warriors/burst eles are all way more deadly. I think you’re being a little silly. Are they annoying because of unblockable? Sure. I don’t often exlode them anyways when people are blocking because I prefer to use them in a burst CC-chain combo. Doesn’t effect me much. But are they OP? Not even close… They don’t hit that kitten hard and don’t scale with crit/power.

The burst from Ele/Thief are a lot more deadly when they’re playing burst builds. As in 15-14k HP with <1000 toughness burst builds. Elementalists don’t even have any active defenses if they’re running burst (outside of dodge).

You can’t compare that to an MM who has absurd survivability, constant passive (even while CC’d) and RANGED damage from AI, and a large amount of body block material to play with. Heck, this is without the necro doing anything itself.

The build is easier to deal with if you’re somewhat tanky with a large amount of AoE. If you’re glass though, it’s hell to deal with even a braindead MM. A lot of glass classes rely on CC as part of their damage mitigation in addition to burst setup, and MM partially negates that with no effort involved.

The build may require a bit to use the AI actives well, but the fact is that a monkey could win a lot of fights on a point with an MM just due to the fact that their only real weakness outside of teamfight AoEs is lack of mobility and AI kiting, but you can’t exploit that often in conquest.

Let’s not forget that if their minions aren’t dead, they win EVERY downed state fight.

It’s one of those cheesy builds that’s actually very strong, but only is kept out of the meta by the nature of teamfights. Kinda like PU offhand torch mesmer and its disability to contest points.

#ELEtism

Unblockable and Instant

in PvP

Dirame.8521

Saying it relies on AI is kinda silly though. Eles have arcane spells that are instant. Engies have Static Dischage when can send out 3-4 bolts of lightning in an instant that does more damage. And all AI does is slow you don’t from positioning and lets it get killed before you can use it. I’ll tell you I’d pretty well rather have an unblockable ground targeted version of it instead. that’d be worse :P So don’t complain its AI. It could be worse if it wasn’t.

Arcane spells, instant but blockable, static discharge, not instant, but blockable.

What I personally want to to actually have a chance at fighting these guys with the tools at my disposal.
Live I’ve said many times, i have no qualms with it being instant. I have a problem with it being unblockable whilst also being instant.

If it was instant but blockable then this thread wouldn’t have been created but it is instant AND unblockable.