Voice chat would attract casuals to PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

I know that hardcore wannabe e-athletes are against this (I have no idea why), but hear me out.

Voice chat has been a feature in every FPS game released over the last 12 years. It allows players to enjoy casual matches without having to join a professional guild hosting their own teamspeak/mumble server. Voice chat would allow casual players to strategize in PvP matches, thus resulting in a more enjoyable experience. It’s no fun to join a pick-up tournament team only to get steam rolled because you don’t have a voice chat server.

The e-athletes can still use their professional servers, but built-in voice chat would open this game up to new players (low population is the biggest issue facing PvP right now, partly because there is no real pick-up mode).

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Skype it’s free, there’s no setup and there’s no kitten check like in mumble.
public voip is terrible, I don’t want to deal with that when pugging.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

What is a pain is setting up skype for a pick-up game. The whole point of pick-up games is to be fast.

There are no negatives to having built-in voice chat. Nobody forces you to use it, but it’s there for people that want to. There would obviously have to be a disable feature for those that don’t want to use it.

Counter-Strike is the world’s premier e-sport and it has built-in voice chat.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

void would be good for the game.
skype drain my e-speed.
if you really need something at least use raidcall.
+1 for op

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I think the point here is that even with public voip, most people wouldn’t want to use it. It would be kinda nice to have the option, but most pugs would just have one or two people talking.

I do think we could use better map pinging and hotkey commands. Public voip would be nice too, but probably harder to implement and not used by pugs very much.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

How can you say that there is no negatives just because you can turn it off?

Every single time I’ve played these wonderful fps games there’s always ATLEAST one guy ruining voip by being a belligerent kitten

If you turn your voip off you’re hurting your team you have to either mute or kick the kitten and then hope the next guy is normal, people rage way too much in pickup games already, just check out map chat, I don’t want to hear scrub player x telling scrub player z why his build is kitten and 4 signets is a terrible idea or raging after someone fails to stomp and then I have to listen to him for the rest of the game.

public voip opens up a can of worms for the company; do we Moderate voip? if so how; who’s going to pay for massive voip servers; New security problems etc etc

I don’t want to be singled out for not using terrible services, but I pug a lot, and I’m sure people would start singling me and others like me out for not using public Voip.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

Every single time I’ve played these wonderful fps games there’s always ATLEAST one guy ruining voip by being a belligerent kitten

If you turn your voip off you’re hurting your team you have to either mute or kick the kitten and then hope the next guy is normal, people rage way too much in pickup games already, just check out map chat, I don’t want to hear scrub player x telling scrub player z why his build is kitten and 4 signets is a terrible idea or raging after someone fails to stomp and then I have to listen to him for the rest of the game.

public voip opens up a can of worms for the company; do we Moderate voip? if so how; who’s going to pay for massive voip servers; New security problems etc etc

I don’t want to be singled out for not using terrible services, but I pug a lot, and I’m sure people would start singling me and others like me out for not using public Voip.

I’ve been playing counter-strike and other FPSs since 2001 and I’ve never encountered public VOIP problems. When kids decide to be annoying, I just mute them.

GW1 and 2 are probably the first team based games I’ve ever played without voice chat and it really hurts the experience.

Just because you’re a PUGer doesn’t mean you don’t want to play the game with some level of strategy.

in PvP

Posted by: Klassic.8057

Klassic.8057

^ a solution to that is to have a mute button for each specific person, so if that person is raging mute him and continue with your pug

yes, add this so i can spam my indian music with HLTV

Kanto

in PvP

Posted by: BLU.8961

BLU.8961

void would be good for the game.
skype drain my e-speed.
if you really need something at least use raidcall.
+1 for op

raidcall….. shudders

Want your Games Casted, Hit me up in game!

My Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/blu42

in PvP

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Interesting idea, probably won’t happen though. I think a better and easier solution would be to just add in a proper solo queue and team queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

^
This.

Public voips in games have only shown how many angsty tweens, poorly raised children and moronic ‘adults’ there are out there. It’s like concentrated ear pollution. No thank you. I can only hear ‘ kitten *t, umad’, and other stupid meme crap so many times in one life and that got exceeded a long time ago.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Shukran.4851

^
This.

Public voips in games have only shown how many angsty tweens, poorly raised children and moronic ‘adults’ there are out there. It’s like concentrated ear pollution. No thank you. I can only hear kitten *t, umad’, and other stupid meme crap so many times in one life and that got exceeded a long time ago.

because turning voip chat OFF in options is too mainstream???
come on guys, be serious sometimes

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

<-R13 HA in GW1, champ range gvg, never used voice chat. I definitely don’t need it in this cookie cutter game. I am strongly against it, simply because it will be harder for me to control teams no one should be allowed to talk in my teams.

And yes that’s my own selfish point of view.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

Because harassment and griefing players who refuse to join the voip cesspool clique of narcissism running rampant NEVER happens right?

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Shukran.4851

Because harassment and griefing players who refuse to join the voip cesspool clique of narcissism running rampant NEVER happens right?

how can it be possible.
you join a team to start tourney
you ask if viop is used or not.
people harass? quit; i don’t know what kind of persons u play with free and paid. but if i look for some team i think i play with mature people.

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

^ a solution to that is to have a mute button for each specific person, so if that person is raging mute him and continue with your pug

yes, add this so i can spam my indian music with HLTV

In all my years of gaming online, middle eastern music seems to be played more than anything. Its one of those strange things the internet does.

OT: Yes that would be a very good thing. Source games have an option to mute people so if someone is being annoying, then mute them. It can only help, because chat is a nightmare if your in the middle of a game, plus it would allow for tactical talk, trash talk, racism, threats, crap music encoded at 4kbs to be blared constantly, religious debate that borders on kitten in all cases, arguing over if “bush did it”, and then the stupid cat noises. All the things that make online gaming bizarre and annoying in equal measure.

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

<-R13 HA in GW1, champ range gvg, never used voice chat. I definitely don’t need it in this cookie cutter game. I am strongly against it, simply because it will be harder for me to control teams no one should be allowed to talk in my teams.

And I thought me and my scarce remaining friends were the only former GW1 PvPers left in the game.

On topic, I disagree about the voice chat, for the very simple reason. There are at least five things that could bring back or attract more players than in-game VoIP. If the game is successful with those priority features in place, no one will ever think about the voice comm.

Leman

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

how can it be possible.
people harass? quit; i don’t know what kind of persons u play with free and paid. but if i look for some team i think i play with mature people.

PUBLIC voip.
Usually teams use some other private voip.
Also the people I play with in frees are randoms, most of which have severe anger issues and maturity deficit problems it seems. I haven’t done paids since my pvp group left before they were implemented for P.Side2. I’ve done a few ‘team forming’ experiments and yet all I run into it seems are divas with ego issues. Watch the ‘pro’ streams and it’s kids talking trash about the pugs they’re stomping while circle stroking their own imagined magnificence. It’s mildly disgusting.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Shukran.4851

how can it be possible.

PUBLIC voip.
Usually teams use some other private voip.
Also the people I play with in frees are randoms, most of which have severe anger issues and maturity deficit problems it seems. I haven’t done paids since my pvp group left before they were implemented for P.Side2. I’ve done a few ‘team forming’ experiments and yet all I run into it seems are divas with ego issues. Watch the ‘pro’ streams and it’s kids talking trash about the pugs they’re stomping while circle stroking their own imagined magnificence. It’s mildly disgusting.

call of duty: you enter a server, game gives you vopi for both teams. someone rage? you mute

gw2: you start tourney, game gives you voip for both teams. someone rage? press B, mute (as league of legends).
give option to turn off in hotjoin.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

You never used voice chat? o.0 In gw1?

You got carried? :p

I can’t believe you needed to type down everything. Don’t say you just all felt what to do, ’cus that aint true. :p

I mean in GW2 it works, you just write down the strat in the beginning. Everyone focusses on their job and voila.

But in GW1? Without voice chat? o.0

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

So you’d rather play without strategy than have to deal with the occasional griefer? Like I said, they could have an option to mute individual players like most games these days do. How many people are going to waste time finding a pick-up tournament group only to grief?

I’m not sure if any of you guys play Natural Selection 2 on Steam. It’s the pinnacle of team-based strategy and it only works because of built-in chat.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

I mean in GW2 it works, you just write down the strat in the beginning. Everyone focusses on their job and voila.

It doesn’t work at all. Try playing with voice once and then tell me it works without. The need to communicate instructions to roamers is critical in this game.

It’s the main reason why pick-up teams get stomped so hard in tournaments.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

How many people are going to waste time finding a pick-up tournament group only to grief?

90% of the players here I’d estimate from what i’ve seen in not only this community but most MMO communities since the days of AC:DT’s later life.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

Remember what happened when they gave everyone mics with their Xbox 360? Yeahhhh… I think they should concentrate on other areas of the game before thinking about in-game voice chat.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

Remember what happened when they gave everyone mics with their Xbox 360? Yeahhhh… I think they should concentrate on other areas of the game before thinking about in-game voice chat.

lol, very true.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

But by that train of thought shouldnt they remove the all chat functions from the game? Anything can be abused, its no reason to not use it. Besides, just have a clear policy that if someone blocks you, then its account wide so that person will never be bothered by you again (as an example of course, nothing with you personally)

Besides, its high time games companies started adding voice chat to team based games which REALLY need communication.

Or something like Cartographer for WoW, the addon. You had your normal map, but the points of interest (nodes in gw2 case) you could right click them and have a few options like “windmill needs help” or “mansion is safe”. Just a few things that are easy to do. Something better than chat, which is fine for down time but the speedy nature of the game means chat isnt always usable.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

But by that train of thought shouldnt they remove the all chat functions from the game? Anything can be abused, its no reason to not use it. Besides, just have a clear policy that if someone blocks you, then its account wide so that person will never be bothered by you again (as an example of course, nothing with you personally)

Besides, its high time games companies started adding voice chat to team based games which REALLY need communication.

Or something like Cartographer for WoW, the addon. You had your normal map, but the points of interest (nodes in gw2 case) you could right click them and have a few options like “windmill needs help” or “mansion is safe”. Just a few things that are easy to do. Something better than chat, which is fine for down time but the speedy nature of the game means chat isnt always usable.

Wouldn’t be an issue if people would just grow up and start acting like civilized human beings instead of egotistical little prats.

Yes I know there’s a better chance of being struck by lightning while winning the lottery on a leap year friday the 13th than this happening.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

I can see the pros and cons of a public VoIP.

If its an easy system to implement and didn’t take away from an already very scarce development resources, the fine. It does need to have stringent controls though, like mute buttons for individual players, a “report” functionality which means there needs to be server recording going on and it also needs to be relatively easy and seamless to use.

I say a report functionality is needed because its the only way of deterring the narcissism of immature players. Just right click, report for inappropriate behavior, mute and move on. Arena net is pretty strict from what I’ve seen, repeat offenders won’t last long and they wouldn’t be missed anyway.

The public VoIP functionality would definitely add to the enjoyment of pug games if your pugs on VoIP with you aren’t the aforementioned uncosiae angry Tweens. This should t take place over the need for a solo/duo que though, in fact, they would work hand in hand if done right.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

I just tried Dota 2 today for the first time and even a free game like that has voice chat built in. The cost of implementing it would be negligible.

I seriously can’t think of a single game without this feature.

in PvP

Posted by: XiL.4318

XiL.4318

The only thing stopping new players from joining PvP is fun factor. Getting Heartseeker Spammed to death over and over again is not fun. (Semantics are for weak minds its symbolic like kittenwaffle)

Until all classes are competitively “difficult” to play there will be a massive disparity between even Rank 1 players who choose to play a class they feel is Fun only to learn that they have to relearn the entire class to play PvP while others like Thief and Warrior just continue on smashing their face on the keyboard well into higher levels of competitive play. They get monkey stomped by synergy at the highest levels of competitive play but the path up is what fuels growth and long term player retention.

Increase the complexity of the tardeasy classes or decrease the complexity of everything else. Those are the only positive choices availible. Every class needs the same value both in complexity and usefulness (together as a single value you cannot seperate them). Until this happens Thief Wars 2 is just another Dragon Hunter w/ Pretty Hats.

in PvP

Chi Malady.2015

The only thing stopping new players from joining PvP is fun factor. Getting Heartseeker Spammed to death over and over again is not fun. (Semantics are for weak minds its symbolic like kittenwaffle)

Until all classes are competitively “difficult” to play there will be a massive disparity between even Rank 1 players who choose to play a class they feel is Fun only to learn that they have to relearn the entire class to play PvP while others like Thief and Warrior just continue on smashing their face on the keyboard well into higher levels of competitive play. They get monkey stomped by synergy at the highest levels of competitive play but the path up is what fuels growth and long term player retention.

Increase the complexity of the tardeasy classes or decrease the complexity of everything else. Those are the only positive choices availible. Every class needs the same value both in complexity and usefulness (together as a single value you cannot seperate them). Until this happens Thief Wars 2 is just another Dragon Hunter w/ Pretty Hats.

Thief OPness isn’t as pronounced in tournament play where voice chat would be used. Casuals have several choices right now:

1. Play hot-join (basically just mindless zerging/thieves running around)
2. Play tournaments with pick-up teams (but get steam rolled because you have no means of coordination)
3. Join a PvP-oriented guild (which people with a full-time job, family, school, kids, etc. don’t have time for)
4. Join a pick-up “team-finder” guild (few people know about these)
5. Stop playing PvP (this seems to be the most popular choice at the moment)

(edited by Chi Malady.2015)

in PvP

Posted by: XiL.4318

XiL.4318

Thief OPness isn’t as pronounced in tournament play where voice chat would be used.

Rank 1-10 is where PvP either grabs you or burns you. You think being mocked in Voice Chat for getting kitty kitten rolled over and over is going to grab or burn? Maybe both? Voice Chat service would most definately harm the already struggling Thief Wars 2.

Here’s a picture in words that says things people should understand:

Average player Joe like Thief, Average player Jane like Elementalist. Both play at exactly the same skill level as PvE Completionists. They enter into the Mists and have two completely different experiences.

Average Joe takes off his pants, uses no trait points, and pops up to R 20 over a weekend. Joe sees 5/1 Kills to Deaths and regularly gets praised by the scoreboards and being the uber of uber thieves. And Joe can’t believe it. He is a pro PvPer in two days and he is having a blast.

Jane on the other hand… she has an entirely different experience. By the end of the weekend Jane has been abused in 3 languages for being useless getting 0 points even in winning matches. Jane is looking at a 1/5 kill to death ratio and even though she has put almost 10 more hours of continous play in that Joe, she is still only R 10.

Jane doesn’t want to play anymore. Joe had the time of his life.

This is the problem. Nothing else matters until this is solved in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

You never used voice chat? o.0 In gw1?

You got carried? :p

I can’t believe you needed to type down everything. Don’t say you just all felt what to do, ’cus that aint true. :p

But in GW1? Without voice chat? o.0

<- Rezz Anna Nicole (aka Rezz Anna kitten Derp). It was simple. I would just type everything in the beginning. Or sometimes during the match I would spam: “ALL GO BACK!!!!” or “ALL GO THEIR BASE!!!”, was very easy. I never played joke spike builds.

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

I have never ever used voice communication in GW1 neither, and i do know a few others players that (almost)never used it neither. To be honest, all just felt what to do( but maybe it was because of hero battles…)

But that’s not the problem anyway, players do what they want/prefer. That’s the same at school, when you have students working 24/7 having bad marks, and others not doing anything and getting highest ones.

The problems with the voice communication for random parties is that the one talking needs to be followed : that implies all teammates need to trust the tactic. If this happens in guild teams, it’s not always the case when 5 random players.
Players are generally not following, when i type " i go henge, you all go keep " ( usually i type it 2-3 times to be sure), i can be sure that 3 times upon 5 there will be players killing chieftain.