Where did all the sPvPers go?

in PvP

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Hey guys,

I’m back after a long hiatus just to see what the status of the game is like post-patch.

One thing that has been worrying me…. I have played probably a dozen solo-queue games so far. I’m not trying to be narcissistic here, but with little-to-no effort I am already topping the leaderboard.

3 months ago, it used to be a major struggle for me to break into the top 1k players on the leaderboard. This is no longer true. Just by messing around with builds, I have managed to worm my way into the top 200. I don’t think I’m that good… which means something is up.

Are there just so few players now that the top 1k leaderboard is filled with inactives? Are people just bad? Did everyone get nerfed except elementalists (and rangers?)

What the heck.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

Hey guys,

I’m back after a long hiatus just to see what the status of the game is like post-patch.

One thing that has been worrying me…. I have played probably a dozen solo-queue games so far. I’m not trying to be narcissistic here, but with little-to-no effort I am already topping the leaderboard.

3 months ago, it used to be a major struggle for me to break into the top 1k players on the leaderboard. This is no longer true. Just by messing around with builds, I have managed to worm my way into the top 200. I don’t think I’m that good… which means something is up.

Are there just so few players now that the top 1k leaderboard is filled with inactives? Are people just bad? Did everyone get nerfed except elementalists (and rangers?)

What the heck.

Some guy in the top 20 is 10-5, its a joke. I judge people based on their winrate/games played instead of the leaderboard, and you should too

in PvP

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Some guy in the top 20 is 10-5, its a joke. I judge people based on their winrate/games played instead of the leaderboard, and you should too

Games played might be a good indicator of telling if a player is new or not, but not a good way to determine skill level.

Winrate, likewise, has the adverse affect of including all games you played on all classes. So someone with more alts will have a lower winrate due to learning curves.

Learning curves are also a consideration. For example, some classes will take a lot longer to master than others—which will cause more losses and a lower winrate—but might equate to a much higher skill-level than someone who (as an EXAMPLE) played a hambow warrior exclusively in the past patch.

The leaderboard may not be a GOOD indicator of skill due to the outliers you defined… but they are just that. Outliers. And it may still be the best indication of skill available to the public thus far.

But that’s neither here, nor there. The real question is why the board seems so inactive (or is it?)

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

A lot of people join Team Arena now instead of Solo Arena.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Most left, sure you have the few hardcore people around. However for the most part, people come back and play in the major tourneys and that’s it. Teamq is fairly dead, mostly just solo players. Then you have soloq which is its own can of worms (4v5, skyhammer, etc).

Can’t really blame people for quitting. Been over two years, and pvp is still pretty much the same.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

The patch was pretty awful. I don’t know if anyone believes Anet is competent as a whole. Check the first/second pages on the spvp, tech support, game bugs and general discussion to see how bad this patch was then you’ll understand why fewer people are playing. Huge lag spikes, bugs everywhere, crappy FPS and lots of people just unable to log in…

in PvP

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

Most left, sure you have the few hardcore people around. However for the most part, people come back and play in the major tourneys and that’s it. Teamq is fairly dead, mostly just solo players. Then you have soloq which is its on can of worms (4v5, skyhammer, etc).

Can’t really blame people for quitting. Been over two years, and pvp is still pretty much the same.

That’s very disappointing…

But that makes a lot of sense…. See, I saw those tournament rosters and thought “Wow, GW2 is still bumpin!”. I guess it makes sense that the higher-tiered players are just waiting in the wings

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Most left, sure you have the few hardcore people around. However for the most part, people come back and play in the major tourneys and that’s it. Teamq is fairly dead, mostly just solo players. Then you have soloq which is its on can of worms (4v5, skyhammer, etc).

That’s very disappointing…

But that makes a lot of sense…. See, I saw those tournament rosters and thought “Wow, GW2 is still bumpin!”. I guess it makes sense that the higher-tiered players are just waiting in the wings

This is definitely not true. Might be dead if you’re in the 60th percentile. ToL 2 just finished and had 128 teams on NA participate. The upcoming ToG has nearly 100 teams participating. It’s far from dead.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.