Why everybody is an engineer?

in PvP

Posted by: glock.6590

glock.6590

Im fairly new to PvP and I noticed that in solo and team arena there is at least 3 or 4 enginners per match. I was wondering what is so special about this profession or its some kind of bruiser class that dominates PvP?

Im just looking for opinions from more experinced players , I really want to understand why there is not much class diversity in spvp. ( solo and team arena).

6’4’’ Master Race. I am Above You.

in PvP

Posted by: Steb.2571

Steb.2571

No idea.

Attachments:

IGN: Steb
Team: Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

They are good in any situation. Jack of all trades profession.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

inb4 “Hello frands”

The engineer is in a “good spot”.

In lower level queues, it has a lot of tools that help them carry the team easily. it is a great class for harrasing, decapping, defending and nuking capture nodes.
The combination of almost NO cooldowns (if kit management is good), tons of AOE, quick condition stacking and evasive utilities/skills make it for a tough, slippery class with a punch. It does have its weaknesses (read: condi setups, most ranger setups with LB or conditions), but even then, it DOES have tools to deal with its weaknesses, which makes it fairly “forgiving”.

You do need to learn how to build and manage kits though.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: Zord.6130

Zord.6130

Because any kitten can walk around dropping Grenades or Bombs on a point, melting enemies with PbAoE conditions, or drop turrets and let them do the work for you.
Most engineers could play blinded and still be effective.
Remember: the more professions/specs you see around, the easier it is to play that profession/spec.

Powerpuff Girls [PPG]
Trixxi Is Cute – Purple Fhaz: your daily roamer

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I blame conquest more than anything, engi excels in that situation. Being forced to stand on a small point against a class that has a wide variety of AoE skills is going to be a bad time.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

Bring a necro and you should be fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Jack of All trades class with all AoE hybrid damage skills + conquest + celestial = Master of Everything.

in PvP

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

Because by far most faceroll class in GW2

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Engi is, imo, the most fun class to play. I imagine a lot of those players agree with that.

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Most engineers I encounter in Team Arena are all the same: since turrets are immune to conditions (for some reason), they spawn seven of them around on a capture point and build themselves against direct damage.

That way, condition damage dealers die because they can’t destroy the turrets, and direct damage dealers die because they can’t kill the engineer.

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

because it is and has ever been the most amazing class ever invented.

in PvP

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

Because you need somebody to disarm the dynamite.

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

inb4 “Hello frands”

I lol’d

Because by far most faceroll class in GW2

I think that you are not objectively speaking. A skilled engineer is, without any doubt, one of the most powerful things that you could encounter in SPVP, but an engineer needs a lot of practice to reach the level of expertise you’re, probably, speaking about.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Because turret engi can carry bad players pretty hard. While turret engi is not op it can perform on par with others players playing there class ok, even if the turret engi is terribad.

If you notice what spec of engi most players are playing its turrets 3xkit engi take far more effort to play. Most players that play spvp are not good, even though 3xkit engi can potentially outperform turret engi you still see a lot more turret specs.

In some case I have tried to talk to turret engi about kits and other skill and there are totally oblivious. I know turret spec is not good at higher level of play but idk it might be a bit to rewarding for effort invested.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Because turret engi can carry bad players pretty hard. While turret engi is not op it can perform on par with others players playing there class ok, even if the turret engi is terribad.

If you notice what spec of engi most players are playing its turrets 3xkit engi take far more effort to play. Most players that play spvp are not good, even though 3xkit engi can potentially outperform turret engi you still see a lot more turret specs.

In some case I have tried to talk to turret engi about kits and other skill and there are totally oblivious. I know turret spec is not good at higher level of play but idk it might be a bit to rewarding for effort invested.

except even non-turret specs are faceroll too. Does it require more effort than turret engi? Sure I guess you may need to open your eyes once or twice, but it’s almost hard to lose if you’re playing engi verses any other class. They get freaking dumbfire (IP) as a master trait, is that a joke?

If you don’t think engi is faceroll, you probably main engineer. and their elite is super-balanced in conquest, definitely.

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

except even non-turret specs are faceroll too.

I think that you are not objectively speaking. A skilled engineer is, without any doubt, one of the most powerful things that you could encounter in SPVP, but an engineer needs a lot of practice to reach the level of expertise you’re, probably, speaking about.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

except even non-turret specs are faceroll too. Does it require more effort than turret engi? Sure I guess you may need to open your eyes once or twice, but it’s almost hard to lose if you’re playing engi verses any other class. They get freaking dumbfire (IP) as a master trait, is that a joke?

If you don’t think engi is faceroll, you probably main engineer. and their elite is super-balanced in conquest, definitely.

Well some of current meta builds are: Celestial dd ele/staff, War hambow/Axebow, Mesmer shatter(condi is this meta yet?), Guard support bunker/med, Ranger zerker lb/spirit, Necro condi terrimancer/power nec, thief dp/sd.

Do you really think the above specs are that hard to play? Multi kit engi require more effort to play than majority of current meta builds. Also they are hard countered by necro, they have 2 massive weakness cc and condi. Engi trying to perfom at warrior level have to work much harder. They also slighty out performed by eles which are more mobile and have less weakness, in alot of cases they fill similar roles (depends on build).

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Well some of current meta builds are: Celestial dd ele/staff, War hambow/Axebow, Mesmer shatter(condi is this meta yet?), Guard support bunker/med, Ranger zerker lb/spirit, Necro condi terrimancer/power nec, thief dp/sd.

Do you really think the above specs are that hard to play? Multi kit engi require more effort to play than majority of current meta builds. Also they are hard countered by necro, they have 2 massive weakness cc and condi. Engi trying to perfom at warrior level have to work much harder. They also slighty out performed by eles which are more mobile and have less weakness, in alot of cases they fill similar roles (depends on build).

I’ve yet to lose on engi just mashing random buttons, can’t say the same about other classes.

To play an engineer perfectly sure its not easy. Its not easy to play anything perfectly.

My point is that an engineer played at 20% effecitiveness si stronger than a thief or any other class at 90% effectiveness. Oh yea, toolkit so hard. Mash random buttons, grats: 50% chance you just landed insane CC on them into your ai. lol.

Roll any engi build with any amulet, bring supply crate, drop on a capture point, press random buttons with eyes closed. I’d be surprised if you lost.

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

What happen to engi dying from conditions,hambow,boon removal and glass rangers….?

I even saw a s/p thief kill one on point…

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I’m pretty sure many engi players would like to have incendiary powder added to a skill instead of random procs.

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

agree with cam, faceroll. It doesnt take ANY form of skill to aoe a point.

@robertul I’m pretty sure many engi players dont give a flying kitten stain because IP procs on essentially every single ability they have.

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Because bad players come onto these forums or sit in the heart of the mists map chat and whine and moan and complain and cry and weep about how overpowdered some builds are when they’re not and that makes other players want to try it out! Example: Power Ranger! Vee Wee has been playing the same build for over a year and in that time period there have been nothing but nerfs to the build and nobody complained about it! All of a sudden many terrible turret Engi players come out of the woodwork and now Vee Wee is overpowdered! Give Vee Wee a break!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

PS: Get good!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Elementalists and Engineers are fine. They are just a bit too much with might stacking and celestial ammy.

in PvP

ArrDee.2573

Elementalists and Engineers are fine. They are just a bit too much with might stacking and celestial ammy.

You are absolutely right! With the Rifle, Grenade Kit, Tool Kit, and Elixir Gun/Elixir S, the Engineer has loads of fire fields and blast finishers for insane might stacks!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in PvP

Posted by: The Cross Killer.2854

The Cross Killer.2854

I’ve yet to lose on engi just mashing random buttons, can’t say the same about other classes.

To play an engineer perfectly sure its not easy. Its not easy to play anything perfectly.

My point is that an engineer played at 20% effecitiveness si stronger than a thief or any other class at 90% effectiveness. Oh yea, toolkit so hard. Mash random buttons, grats: 50% chance you just landed insane CC on them into your ai. lol.

Roll any engi build with any amulet, bring supply crate, drop on a capture point, press random buttons with eyes closed. I’d be surprised if you lost.

You seem to know alot about PvP when you waste to most key CD on engi in every 1v1. Also that must be pretty strong opponents when you win against them with random spam. I think that the problem you talk about is the average skill of the players you face in hotjoin.

Guns N Tools – Red Team[Blue] – twitch.tv/gunsnfools

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

You seem to know alot about PvP when you waste to most key CD on engi in every 1v1. Also that must be pretty strong opponents when you win against them with random spam. I think that the problem you talk about is the average skill of the players you face in hotjoin.

Nah, itll work vs anybody, including you

in PvP

ArrDee.2573

Cam Ron seems to really hate turret Engis! But not in the way that Vee Wee hates them! Vee Wee hates them because Vee Wee loves all Engineer players and it just pains Vee Wee to see them run terrible builds! Cam Ron thinks these builds are actually good and goes around to every single subforum to post about how OP they are! Seems like a player skill issue!

Vee Wee remembers demolishing a Thief as a Gadget Engi! He called Vee Wee the biggest cheese! Cam Ron reminds me of this Thief player! Also never try to insult people by calling them the big cheese! It has the opposite meaning of what you’re trying to convey!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron seems to really hate turret Engis! But not in the way that Vee Wee hates them! Vee Wee hates them because Vee Wee loves all Engineer players and it just pains Vee Wee to see them run terrible builds! Cam Ron thinks these builds are actually good and goes around to every single subforum to post about how OP they are! Seems like a player skill issue!

Vee Wee remembers demolishing a Thief as a Gadget Engi! He called Vee Wee the biggest cheese! Cam Ron reminds me of this Thief player! Also never try to insult people by calling them the big cheese! It has the opposite meaning of what you’re trying to convey!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

You couldn’t 1v1 my turret engi off of a point on a non engi and I’ve played engi twice in my life. Ill roll one and look up a build now, get a nonengi try to get me off a point, Ill even beat off during it.

Tell me, as a thief how would you decap a turret engi?

Maybe turret engi isnt as viable in organized high level play with TS where being mobile is more important, but in unorganized solo Q it is really strong and easy.

Should the game be balanced around the top tier of play, or around what 98% of players experience?

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in PvP

ArrDee.2573

Care to make a wager frand! Say 500g and when I win, you have to stop posting on these forums!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

EDIT: Also you complain about turret Engis and you don’t even know their builds and how they work! Now that’s just thilly!

#1 Frandliest person NA!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Care to make a wager frand! Say 500g and when I win, you have to stop posting on these forums! If you can do it on a thief I give you gold

Wahoo! Bye frands!

EDIT: Also you complain about turret Engis and you don’t even know their builds and how they work! Now that’s just thilly!

Yea sure if I lose I’ll stop posting, Kappa. You have 60 seconds to decap. What build you going for?

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Because the class is grossly OP. They can dish out near thief damage while being the tankiest in the game.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

zaced.7948

Should the game be balanced around the top tier of play, or around what 98% of players experience?

top tier ofc, no question.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

98% of the players would likely disagree.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

You are absolutely right! With the Rifle, Grenade Kit, Tool Kit, and Elixir Gun/Elixir S, the Engineer has loads of fire fields and blast finishers for insane might stacks!

Ahh, so this is why I got called cheese yesterday. :X

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

CUZ I’M EFAMOUS

twitch.tv/ostricheggs

Master of condi spams

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

CUZ I’M EFAMOUS

twitch.tv/ostricheggs

Master of condi spams

I highly support this.

in PvP

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

Care to make a wager frand! Say 500g and when I win, you have to stop posting on these forums! If you can do it on a thief I give you gold

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Yea sure if I lose I’ll stop posting, Kappa. You have 60 seconds to decap. What build you going for?

Someone strim this, pls. <3

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

in PvP

zaced.7948

98% of the players don’t matter in competitive play.

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

98% of the players don’t matter in competitive play.

We’re talking solo-q, not E-sportz. and if competitive play was based around 1v1 holding a point, turret engi would be the clear cut #1 OP build. That is why they thrive in chaotic solo-q

in PvP

zaced.7948

but it’s not based around it. basic rotations can kitten him up for good. as a condi-engineer without any kind of turret even i have no problems against most of them. i’m only playing teamq, though.

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

1v1 should never be taken seriously.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

What Vee Wee learned from this thread: This game should be balanced around hotjoins!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

problem with engi: too much of everything, even too many tools to deal with their supposed weakness + extremely good at bunkering point even if there are nowhere near point not to mention their iwin button – supply crate

some engi builds do take some time to learn but
- given same skill level engi is more effective than any class out there
- they also have probably the most brainless build in game that requires 0 thoughts, positioning, skill timing etc.

basically fotm that keeps getting buffed by anet hence why everyone flocks to it

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

You know. I always thought that the last changes on Engineer would be a nerf because the class does feel incredibly strong and malleable, yes. It’s not apparent at first because you need to get attuned to the class to actually uncover all the strengths, those who played Engineer for years see a potential use for nearly every single utility skill and weapon skill and probably has an incredible amount of viable and fitting builds for PvP.

Unfortunately, alot of players flock to this class because the Engineer also has one build that performs extremely well against most of situations and that doesn’t require much thought to use. You could call those “cheap knockoffs” if anything and while the effort to performance ratio favors the unexperienced, they can still be beaten.

I recall the Thief was in this situation in the very beginning. Although it’s much more sensitive to balance due to their mechanics.

I dreaded the day Engineers became that popular.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Sure Turret Engi is annoying, but you can’t fight that on point or else you just get juggled around. Use LoS, and AoE the point. Engi alone has pretty bad condition removal, and for sure a Turret Engi has even worse condition removal. They lack a solid stun break. Most of the time they are 1v1ing the Air, so if your profession can’t handle it, just +1 another point, and let that turret engi have tea and crumpets with him/her/itself.

As for non-turret specs, the only thing really is IP trait that can proc off anything even a dodge roll, turret damage, anything that crits. That is most of an engineer’s damage. As for people saying that it is faceroll that you can spam AoE on point, then I don’t know why your whole team is fighting on point, unless it’s Solo Q or Pugs. If you’re letting that Engineer freecast, then that’s a big no no. Same with letting an Necro/Mesmer/Power Ranger free cast. If you let someone freecast at will, then of course you’re going to get hit by AoE. As for nades, it still has a slow projectile speed. Engineers either need to land CC or have good aim/be in pointblank range to land it. If you’re getting hit by nades, you’re obviously letting that engineer freecast like I said, standing on point too much, and not dodging right. For bombs, same concept just don’t stand on point for too long or have your whole team stand on point. Really once the Engineer uses all his bombs, there is no more on point pressure besides grenades from them.. Engineers still have to have good positioning, any good team with a Mesmer/Thief can coordinate burst, and that Engineer is dead if they don’t get peels/overextend. We have really bad condition removal and lack of reliable stun breaks.

Keep in mind we don’t have marks with no telegraph when they’re about to show (Necro), Untelegraph Fears (Necro), RNG pet knockdowns/Passive Condi Removal (Ranger), 100% Condi Immunity/Physical Damage Immunity (Warriors). Our nades are probably slowest projectiles to even land as an AoE, and require atleast more thought than what I stated in the previous sentence.

As for Supply Crate, it is on a 180 Second C/D, and really it is our only reliable elite. Sure it’s strong, but if someone crates you, just don’t fight on point. If someone crates you 1v1 it means they’re:

A) Losing that 1v1, playing badly.
B)Wasting a long c/d, when really it should be used to help peel/interupt/provide extra heals
C)Both of the above.

I’ll agree this is a different scenario in Solo Q, but that is Solo Q, and you can’t fix stupidity. I don’t main Engineer, I multi-class to know pros/cons of every class, but I’m not one sided. I’ll agree that Engineer has a lot of tools to deal with nearly everything, but the skill cap compared to other classes (Necro/Ranger/Warrior) is a lot of higher. The only braindead things is how IP works/Turret AI. If you’re getting hit by mass condi AoE from an Engineer, you need to stop tunnel visioning, stop compressing onto point too much, focus whatever is free casting.

Most of the builds in GW2 are build based affected by traits, runes, sigils. We’re all here complaining, but really it is just A-net not making too much of the appropriate balance changes. But yeah, the OP is asking why Engineer is played more often? Because Engineer has probably the most universal matchups, and can bring a lot if played well, but you can’t say it is the most faceroll to play compared to the other professions and passive mechanics.

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

(edited by YourFriendMarvin.4127)

in PvP

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

I think the easiest answer is that they can do everything any other profession can do, only better! Combined with enough skills to never have to worry about cool downs, why play anything else?

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

The problem with soloQ is more likely these builds which can do many jobs at same. Basically, it takes one bad team composition, or even less experienced players, to end the match in 500-120.

Builds aren’t necessarly OP ( although they can look so when all together), but you’re losing way too easily due to these facts. They’re way too forgiving, usually thanks to passive.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Supply crate stun is dodgeable. Turrets don’t proc IP.
Why you even let engi stay on point? They have 1 stunbreak! They don’t even survive pressure especially condition pressure or cc!
Also I wanna see the 1vs1 proposed earlier.

in PvP

Cam Ron.4170

Well, challenge is open to anyone- decap me in 60 seconds while I beat off alt+tabbed in a different window… That includes you robertful.

In this thread: Engi mains: "Guys engineer is so hard we have so many buttons to press. Incendiary powder is balanced and takes skill. also, other classes stack might harder, and supply crate is noob skill but I still take it every game, even though it only affects noobs. "

every single non-engi: “Engineers are easy-mode and take no skill”

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)