Why is there no one vs. one PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: tigersrule.5309

tigersrule.5309

Like duels. I don’t know, i think it would help inexperienced players get used to fighting other people. It would be a warming up to PvP, i wish i had it when i started in PvP. Idk, just a thought, if there’s an actual reason id love to hear it.

Life is like a mirror, you only get what you put in it.

in PvP

Posted by: sirnibb.4709

sirnibb.4709

I don think it would help at all. People would just spec for 1v1s which people wouldn’t normally do in spvp and tpvp. You’ll learn how to fight 1v1 against other 1v1 specific builds, it won’t teach you anything about team fighting, rotations, etc.

Rank 80 guild wars 2 player.

in PvP

Posted by: tigersrule.5309

tigersrule.5309

i guess that’s true. fighting with a team is much different and requires different builds, but it would still be fun in my opinion.

Life is like a mirror, you only get what you put in it.

in PvP

Posted by: sirnibb.4709

sirnibb.4709

It would be fun, but it’s not the best way to learn. I’m sure after they get everything else maybe next year they will add a dueling tournament system. There is a community group who puts on a 1v1 tournament every friday night.

http://www.twitch.tv/checkyourcorners/

Rank 80 guild wars 2 player.

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

The game isn’t designed around 1v1 fights, it’s designed around teamfights. There are several problems with duels:

1. Elites like Moa, Thieves Guild, and Supply drop give the user a huge advantage over classes with less powerful elites. In a team fight these Elites aren’t too bad, but 1v1 they can win you the match.

2. Thieves are not designed to duel “fairly.” I’ve spent some time in duel servers and if I get a thief low they just use Shadow Sant and simply stay stealthed until their heal is back up. While you can AoE the sanct they can simply dodge until they get 9 seconds of stealth and back off then come back with a full HP bar. If you’ve never seen thief duels they’re the most boring fights ever.

3. As someone who has played MMOs with a duel system it tends to encourage annoying behavior like “yo u sux 1v1 me brah.” GW and GW2 are (supposed to be) about team play and cooperation. Even in TPvP it’s about what you bring to the team not how good you are 1v1.

I only use duel servers to test a build and to get used to using it, but I’ve never taken it seriously.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Sorry, but duels help nothing for the actual team play matches

all those duels you see are 1v1 op classes with specific 1v1 build is which close to useless in a team based match.

and what burr said is right. for example, thieves in duels,they call it 1 duel, but they just port away or stealth whenever they are in disadvantage, and come back in when they recovered, that`s basically multiple duels which they start with an advantage over you. i still remember thieves ported too far away and made both of us OOC right away.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

there are 1v1 servers available to play in.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

There is no point. Everyone in 1v1 servers bring 1v1 builds, and it does not develop real skill. The skill in this game is teamplay.

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

There is no point. Everyone in 1v1 servers bring 1v1 builds, and it does not develop real skill. The skill in this game is teamplay.

How about fun, is it a good enough point, because currently it does not seem like it from anet side…

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Playing 1v1 with a tourney build can teach playing home/far better.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

I question the point that game is better designed for teamwork than 1v1.

There are huge mobility discrepancies between classes leading to plenty of 2v1 ‘rotations’. I don’t really consider having a build that runs faster to go around and find a numerical advantage great gameplay or entirely balanced.

Then there are bunker team comps that are just annoying. Somewhat balanced in the sense that if they don’t have a point capped to sit on they aren’t making great use of their build. But it just forces poor gameplay on both sides, switching the game from mechanical to tactical dependance when I really don’t feel the UI supports tactical gameplay, especially for soloque.

Then there is the downed state and rally mechanic. Who likes close fights snowballing based on one finish? Who likes winning a 1v1 to have someone come along and shadow refuge the downed player? Then there are huge discrepancies between what is required to finish a player. I’ll pass on all that downstate gameplay.

What about all that AoE and the overabundance of particle effects? Is all the truly fine tuned?

Now most of these problems come down to gamemode choice. Teamplay has the potential to be quite good, but not in a conquest setting. This is also hardly an exhaustive list of problems with conquest.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I question the point that game is better designed for teamwork than 1v1.

There are huge mobility discrepancies between classes leading to plenty of 2v1 ‘rotations’. I don’t really consider having a build that runs faster to go around and find a numerical advantage great gameplay or entirely balanced.

Then there are bunker team comps that are just annoying. Somewhat balanced in the sense that if they don’t have a point capped to sit on they aren’t making great use of their build. But it just forces poor gameplay on both sides, switching the game from mechanical to tactical dependance when I really don’t feel the UI supports tactical gameplay, especially for soloque.

Then there is the downed state and rally mechanic. Who likes close fights snowballing based on one finish? Who likes winning a 1v1 to have someone come along and shadow refuge the downed player? Then there are huge discrepancies between what is required to finish a player. I’ll pass on all that downstate gameplay.

What about all that AoE and the overabundance of particle effects? Is all the truly fine tuned?

Now most of these problems come down to gamemode choice. Teamplay has the potential to be quite good, but not in a conquest setting. This is also hardly an exhaustive list of problems with conquest.

I agree. Who got to decide that GW2 is about teamplay? If 1v1 doesn’t help with teamplay, then teamplay doesn’t help with 1v1.

Both are equally valid modes of play and I’d like to see someone tell me why one is better than the other.

in PvP

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Whether the game is designed around team play is not the discussion here, because we already know that it is and there’s no debating it.

The question made by the OP is ‘Why is there no dueling?’ and the answer to that would probably be because Anet developed the pvp around team play so dueling most likely didn’t come to mind as a needed feature upon release.

If they did put dueling in, it would most likely be a HotM feature, not a game-mode, and it’s purpose would be purely for fun, learning your/enemies class skills, testing things, friendly competition.

That is it.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Best way to balance a game is really for 1v1 imo, it’s just that developers generally don’t like doing that because it is a lot harder to do, so they have convinced people over the years that it isn’t a good way to balance (they won’t tell you it’s because it isn’t cost effective though).

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Best way to balance a game is really for 1v1 imo, it’s just that developers generally don’t like doing that because it is a lot harder to do, so they have convinced people over the years that it isn’t a good way to balance (they won’t tell you it’s because it isn’t cost effective though).

i hear this a lot, and maybe i’m mistaken, but that just seems to be a recipe for homogenization. if each spec was balanced to do equally well in 1v1 fights with any other spec, how are they contributing anything unique when it comes to team fights?

in PvP

milo.6942

Whether the game is designed around team play is not the discussion here, because we already know that it is and there’s no debating it.

there’s no debating it?
so, like, i can’t compare with gw1?
team play to me means that you rely on coordination with your teammates for your safety, or to get through the opposing team’s defenses. i see very little of this.

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

i hear this a lot, and maybe i’m mistaken, but that just seems to be a recipe for homogenization. if each spec was balanced to do equally well in 1v1 fights with any other spec, how are they contributing anything unique when it comes to team fights?

So basically, your argument is you need imbalance to make a game balanced? Not a very good argument imo.

in PvP

milo.6942

So basically, your argument is you need imbalance to make a game balanced? Not a very good argument imo.

Mesmers in gw1 were generally anti-casters. They often dealt little or no damage. Their role was to shut down the enemy team’s defenses. A warrior could absolutely demolish a mesmer in 1v1, but no one would ever suggest this was “imbalanced”.

edit: btw, this ties into my other point about there being minimal teamplay in gw2 as well, with gw1 as an excellent model for what it could have been.

(edited by milo.6942)

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

Mesmers in gw1 were generally anti-casters. They often dealt little or no damage. Their role was to shut down the enemy team’s defenses. A warrior could absolutely demolish a mesmer in 1v1, but no one would ever suggest this was “imbalanced”.

edit: btw, this ties into my other point about there being minimal teamplay in gw2 as well, with gw1 as an excellent model for what it could have been.

GW is an excellent model as to how BAD it could have been. Personally, I see that, as completely the wrong direction. Being completely dependent on everyone else to babysit you to make your class viable is old game design and better off in the past.

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

The main problem with balancing around 1v1 scenarios is the very fact we have trait set-ups and builds at all. No matter what there will always be different ways to build a character that are of varying degrees of effectiveness in 1v1 fights. One person might have a build that focuses heavily on condition damage, another comes along with a build designed to counter it. This will not be a fair fight. So in order to make it fair you have to make both builds have an equal chance to defeat the other, which in turn makes the counter build entirely irrelevant as it’s intended purpose was to counter the condition build.

However these two builds meet in a group environment. The counter build does it’s job to counter the condition build, limiting the condition build’s contributions to the team. But the condition build isn’t completely shut down as it has allies to take out the counter build to allow the condition build to do it’s thing. The counter build is perfectly balanced in a team fight and both builds are viable to play.

Balancing a game entirely around 1v1 combat results in a loss of counterplay and forethought before each fight, makes group composition irrelevant, and limits the level of customization and potential builds that would be allowed to be made.

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

The main problem with balancing around 1v1 scenarios is the very fact we have trait set-ups and builds at all. No matter what there will always be different ways to build a character that are of varying degrees of effectiveness in 1v1 fights. One person might have a build that focuses heavily on condition damage, another comes along with a build designed to counter it. This will not be a fair fight. So in order to make it fair you have to make both builds have an equal chance to defeat the other, which in turn makes the counter build entirely irrelevant as it’s intended purpose was to counter the condition build.

However these two builds meet in a group environment. The counter build does it’s job to counter the condition build, limiting the condition build’s contributions to the team. But the condition build isn’t completely shut down as it has allies to take out the counter build to allow the condition build to do it’s thing. The counter build is perfectly balanced in a team fight and both builds are viable to play.

Balancing a game entirely around 1v1 combat results in a loss of counterplay and forethought before each fight, makes group composition irrelevant, and limits the level of customization and potential builds that would be allowed to be made.

I’d rather it be bring the player, not the class, than what it is now. Stack the necro anyone?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I have to just chime in here and say; this game NEEDs 1v1 arenas with rewards (just similar to any other method, just not kitten from rewards, nothing special that others can’t get). The game is balanced ENOUGH that anyone can make a 1v1 build for any class (everyone single one, I’ve done it so I know it works, even guardians). But not everyone wants to be FORCED to deal with other people. 1v1 is a wonderful way to let pvp lovers just go at it on their own and still feel rewarded. It won’t be for everyone but nothing is for everyone.

IMO:
This game needs a 1v1 mode
A 3v3 mode
And general tPvP (no hotjoins) – Here, just have a check mark in your pvp panel that says tPvPs count or do not count vs leaderboards so you can serious yolo que, OR not serious yolo que, you can serious team pvp or not serious team pvp. BUT the community wouldn’t be divided anymore, and people would have to learn to play because the only way to make good glory would be to win (increase the glory of a win to 500). Then the match maker prefers to put pre-made groups with premades and groups of 3 or less together.

Sometimes you might get unlucky and get a premade, but at least games would be running, the crowd wouldn’t be split, you could do it noncompetitively if you wanted etc.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

How do you know that the goal of PvP is teamplay? Intuition? ESP? Is it philosophical? I’m sorry, but all I’m seeing is two valid styles of gameplay.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Mesmers in GW1 could spec for either teamplay or for 1v1. I had beaten many a warrior in GW1 with illusion of pain, energy surge, mindwrack etc etc. The same is true in GW1. You should have the option to either build for 1v1 or for teamplay. The choice is yours.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Side note: they’re also adding Templates… 1v1 Template, Tpvp Template, Etc. would work swimmingly.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

How do you know that the goal of PvP is teamplay? Intuition? ESP? Is it philosophical? I’m sorry, but all I’m seeing is two valid styles of gameplay.

I know that the goal of PvP is teamplay because when i went into my first ever PvP match i was told the goal of PvP is to capture and hold points with your team.

lol, geez, i didn’t say 1v1 wasn’t possible or it was a stupid idea and shouldn’t be in the game, it just currently isn’t in the game. I would love to see 1v1, then i could destroy people very hard without being hindered by clones, minions and spirits and people would go to the class forums all day to QQ that my class isn’t balanced in 1v1.

But would ArenaNet like that?

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

I know that the goal of PvP is teamplay because when i went into my first ever PvP match i was told the goal of PvP is to capture and hold points with your team.

lol, geez, i didn’t say 1v1 wasn’t possible or it was a stupid idea and shouldn’t be in the game, it just currently isn’t in the game. I would love to see 1v1, then i could destroy people very hard without being hindered by clones, minions and spirits and people would go to the class forums all day to QQ that my class isn’t balanced in 1v1.

But would ArenaNet like that?

So it’s not that PvP itself is team based. What you’re saying is that there are no modes dedicated to 1v1 as of now. So all they have to do is add a 1v1 mode. That’s it!

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

How about fun, is it a good enough point, because currently it does not seem like it from anet side…

Fun? I heard of it before somewhere…

Yeah, it would be fun. But people don’t want it, because… I don’t know. They just don’t. They say the game isn’t built for 1v1, but even in poorly balanced games, skill usually allows to have some interesting matches. It’s effectively player-hosted PvP. I remember the good old days if IF dueling club, people would even bet money, we had the best duelists and they were known throughout the whole lands, and there were all classes in the “top pack”, despite horrible balance.

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

Lol that’s why there are 1v1 servers for those types of shenanigans :P

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz