Why not PvP -> PvE?

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: denyitbattle.2609

denyitbattle.2609

In talking to some of my hardcore GW2 playing friends (I’m a casualcore at best), we tried to identify what it would take for them and their large PvE guilds to get seriously into PvP.

The main factor that they find is missing has nothing really to do with the esport features like matchmaking and spectator mode (which personally I find the most important), but instead tangible incentives for their character that persist into the rest of the game (PvE, WvW). Additionally, we identified that since WvW actually accomplishes this to some degree as well as provides a more casualish PvP outlet for more primary-PvE players, the end result is that s/tPvP interest is more hurt by WvW than helped.

I understand that we don’t want any of the “grind” or progression to from come PvE into s/tPvP, even to the degree that it does in WvW; however, that doesn’t mean that things can’t flow the other way, does it?

Why not bring back the emotes used in GW1 to show-off rank? Why not bring back the world announcements for significant PvP accomplishments (such as the upcoming daily and monthly tournaments)? Why not allow skins from PvP to be used in the PvE environment?

Anet seems to be taking baby-steps in this direction by including daily and monthly PvP achievements and even making it possible to win gems in PvP (better than gold), but even these things aren’t being advertised enough (both major PvE guilds I talked to were not aware of the gem rewards 3 days after the patch hit).

Personally, I’d like to even go more extreme. Like have a new dungeon that requires a QP to enter and then immediately after the final boss fight, you actually have to fight another group that completed the dungeon in a mini PvP “map” with no respawns for the best possible dungeon reward.

Obviously there is a ton of things that could be done and, as always, time and resources are the issue…. It would just be nice if, at the same time that all these great esporty features landed, there were supporting incentives given to re-ignite and grow the community.

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Dude, there’s more “grind” in spvp than pve. You have to fight the same burst builds over and over and over capturing the same kittening points. Nobody communicates in hotjoin and it’s just who can get the most “kill credit” for the most glory. Then, you get to play the lotto with your glory with chests and salvage all that kitten in hopes you get something that isn’t a kittening wolf finisher or another kittening arcane orb. My advice? Stay in pve if you like it more.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

denyitbattle.2609

Well, I guess the idea is that in PvP you are improving your skill… and hopefully teamwork as well while participating.

That is like saying whenever you play a shooter in a competitive environment you are grinding… Whenever you are in a competitive environment, getting better in the competition is the goal through the hours of playing, any other perks are gravy.

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Well, most people don’t have the time to wait in queue for 20 mins to play 3 games back to back to hopefully save up enough tickets for paid only to be roflstomped by pro teams that farm pugs for gems. Not everyone can devote 40 hours a week to organize their friends to compete in the comp scene.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

denyitbattle.2609

Ummmm, I agree? I don’t really play this game at all anymore (simply cause I couldn’t ever get friends together enough to get a competitive tPvP team going) but even at my peak, it was maybe 10 hours a week for me.

But that really wasn’t what this topic was about. I was just hoping for more incentive for those that are willing to spend 40+ hours a week in the game to not spend all of them in PvE/WvW. Give those people who are willing to grind, an incentive to do so in the competitive scene that translates to the other parts of the game.

Personally, PvP in GW2 didn’t feel like any sort of a grind to me. I felt like I got about as good as I was going to in pugs and sPvP with mesmer, guard, and ele (was going to do necro too) and was never too interested in grind to something that makes me look more shiny (although buying all the chests was an okay distraction).

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Dude, there’s more “grind” in spvp than pve. You have to fight the same burst builds over and over and over capturing the same kittening points. Nobody communicates in hotjoin and it’s just who can get the most “kill credit” for the most glory. Then, you get to play the lotto with your glory with chests and salvage all that kitten in hopes you get something that isn’t a kittening wolf finisher or another kittening arcane orb. My advice? Stay in pve if you like it more.

I think you hit the nail on the head more than most have:

“Nobody communicates in hotjoin and it’s just who can get the most “kill credit” for the most glory."

spvp isn’t fun when no one communicates.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Volted.2451

Volted.2451

+1 for allowing pvp emotes outside the heart of the mists, truth be told I’ve never seen more then 10 players in our heart of the mists server based as they are.
World or server wide tourney winners announcement as in gw1 HA. ability to convert glory to gold or karma, since it’s discouraging for core pvpers as myself to even start pveing.
Peace,
Volted.

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Having HA would be just amazing, probably the best thing they could do (if they wanted), and it would save PvP from dying. It’s a huge difference in matchup times these days and 1-2 months ago. More and more people are giving up, or they go do their 3 games for daily and they’re gone.
It’s funny if you compare the 2 games. GW 1 had such an advanced PvP with good variety and everything while GW2, which they said could be an esport (I lol at that) has like nothing. People will get bored within months. It will die.
Also, on topic: of course you should be allowed to show ranks anywhere at any time, just like in GW 1. At least then it’s good for something, at least it’s something to showoff, a reward that you earned, whether it was skill or grind it doesn’t matter. We should have an option to show our emote anywhere.

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

In talking to some of my hardcore GW2 playing friends (I’m a casualcore at best), we tried to identify what it would take for them and their large PvE guilds to get seriously into PvP.

The main factor that they find is missing has nothing really to do with the esport features like matchmaking and spectator mode (which personally I find the most important), but instead tangible incentives for their character that persist into the rest of the game (PvE, WvW). Additionally, we identified that since WvW actually accomplishes this to some degree as well as provides a more casualish PvP outlet for more primary-PvE players, the end result is that s/tPvP interest is more hurt by WvW than helped.

I understand that we don’t want any of the “grind” or progression to from come PvE into s/tPvP, even to the degree that it does in WvW; however, that doesn’t mean that things can’t flow the other way, does it?

Why not bring back the emotes used in GW1 to show-off rank? Why not bring back the world announcements for significant PvP accomplishments (such as the upcoming daily and monthly tournaments)? Why not allow skins from PvP to be used in the PvE environment?

Anet seems to be taking baby-steps in this direction by including daily and monthly PvP achievements and even making it possible to win gems in PvP (better than gold), but even these things aren’t being advertised enough (both major PvE guilds I talked to were not aware of the gem rewards 3 days after the patch hit).

Personally, I’d like to even go more extreme. Like have a new dungeon that requires a QP to enter and then immediately after the final boss fight, you actually have to fight another group that completed the dungeon in a mini PvP “map” with no respawns for the best possible dungeon reward.

Obviously there is a ton of things that could be done and, as always, time and resources are the issue…. It would just be nice if, at the same time that all these great esporty features landed, there were supporting incentives given to re-ignite and grow the community.

There is already enough forcing pve players into wvw. Some like it, some don’t. The ones that don’t view it as a punishment. Check their facebook. Once it was found out people who were fans dropped the game like it was on fire. It was a huge mistake that really bit them in butt. Doing it even more would make things worse, not better.

Most pvers right now seem to be running this new dungeon till they pass out anyway.

You are trying to blame the pve people for the lack of population in spvp/tpvp. That’s not because of pvers, it’s because of a horrible pvp system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jvXDv70-6Gg

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Agree with OP

Players should be able to get karma or pvp tokens in spvp which they can use to get stuff in the pve side of the game.

If people could gear up the pve side of their characters by playing spvp that would probably bring a lot more people in who don’t like farming karma events or dungeons.

I also agree that armor skins should be unlocked on both sides of the game.

Why not PvP -> PvE?

in PvP

Posted by: Velg.3170

Velg.3170

Terrible idea. Would do well to justify ‘LFG full exotics in PvE, rank 80+ in PvP’. And that’d be incredibly small group.

Not to mention that – for PvErs – getting QP would be incredible boring grind. I for myself am PvE & like sPvP… But I’d begin to hate it if I felt forced into it to do PvE.

Not against PvE-usable rewards in PvP, though. Zaishen keys, chests etc were fine.

Also, not a fan of skins transparency between PvE and PvP. And CERTAINLY not a fan of ‘easy gearing’ through PvP.