[sPvP] How to fix the problems.

in PvP

Posted by: Empiren.6401

Empiren.6401

These are the problems currently in spvp along with my suggested solutions. Class balance is an issue, however this is not about that. There will be parts where I mention certain classes and changes, please note that I am not calling out a certain class.

I need to put this disclaimer. This thread is about class balance, I will use certain classes as an example, but by no means am I commenting about one class being better in any way shape or form. Also, these are not 100% accurate solutions, of course they will need testing and such before implementation.
————————————————————————————————

Burst and Bunkers

Now this is a problem. There is no problem with classes going full offense or defense, its just that at both ends of the spectrum it is extreme. The reason for such is a bit contradictory.“I need bunkers to survive burst and burst to take down bunkers” The reason this is a problem is because there is just SO many builds in guild wars 2, but balanced builds are less useful because of these two extremes. A burst will down a balanced player quite easily while a bunker may outlive it forever.
Burst solution
1. Simple min/max damage and crit damage. Reduce Critical damage while increasing attack or condition damage.
Example: 30% Less crit damage and 15-20% more damage from normal attacks.
-alternative
2. Crit chance should never be above 50%, otherwise it becomes less of a critical effect mechanic and more of a mechanic that most of your attacks do X amount of “more damage” than not.
Example: Crit cap is 40% without fury. This means crit damage won’t be applied for the majority.(you’d have to increase earth runes to something like 80%)
—————————

Bunker Solution
-Note: Boonhate may solve it.
1. Healing reduction. This is essentially why some bunkers last forever, they have healing from multiple sources. Healing should be limited in source, and healing power should scale with your normal heal better.
-Example: Healing power gives 50% more for your original heal, but other healing will be reduced by 30% or more in the spvp realm.
-Note: this is not for every proffession and would have to be selected as such. Such as necromancers “heal out of DS” vs ele’s “evasive arcana”. Certain traits give too much and certain traits give almost nothing, its all different for each profession.
2. Protection being less available. 33% less damage is a lot while put on-top of toughness reduction with other abilities such as dodge. Simple limit on time between protection or give less time with it on.
-Again, per profession. There are some classes that pay heavily to put on a short time of protection.
——————————————————————————————————-
————————Down State—————————-
———————————————————————————
Down state should not effect the capture of a point

If you are down, the point can be capped regardless if you are on it. This is a problem because being downed extends the time you can sit on a point and “defend” it, but not because of that, because certain classes(who I have no issue with in this regard) can delay the cap regardless of efforts taken by the player
Example: Ele can mist before down and prolong the cap for another 5-10 seconds.
-Note: I’m not saying anything regarding Ele’s being unfair or such, other professions can do such a thing as well.

Solution:
1. Simply don’t allow down state to effect the cap. That’s it.

^————————-^
Personal opinion: I do not believe down state to be a pvp mechanic. It is a PVE mechanic in all regards.
-Some people(even me) take certain utilities JUST for down state. This leads to usually one utility always saved for that purpose alone. I’d much rather use that stability in combat than save it for when I need to down someone so that he doesn’t get rallied.
Solution: Rally is taken out of spvp
-Again, this is my opinion regarding down state. It is(in my opinion) a problem with rally too , but this is not always agreed upon.

(edited by Empiren.6401)

in PvP

Empiren.6401

Tournaments———————————————————-
—————————————————————————————

Rank requirements.
-Regardless of whether you know how to “play your class” there should be simple rank requirements before entry.
Level 10 is a good barrier because it takes around 14k rank to enter. Which gives the average player enough time to figure out what builds he likes, how to play the maps, and what are the general strategies.
Note: Anyone who comments " but my other account", guild wars 2 is set up so that rank is across your entire account. If you have mutiple accounts, it really shouldn’t be taken into consideration because there is no logical reason for Arenanet to cater to such individuals, also, its a very short amount of glory.

4v5 problem
-Punishment to leavers. I don’t care whether its intentional or not, if you are not int he match you get a small ban from tourneys(nothing big, 30min or so).
-A system that makes sure that all 5 players are in before starting the match or it doesn’t start it. LoL would be a good example.
————————————————————————
————————-Spvp rewards and rank———————————
—————————————————————————————-

This sounds pretty silly but there is very little incentive outside of winning to play spvp. The armor that you unlock takes a long time later and for cosmetic purposes that is a lot of grinding

Solution:
1.Certain achievements certain armor. 100, 1k, 10k wins/plays gets a certain set each.
2. Pvp “rank” takes less.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Rank

Thats 9 MILLION to get to the top rank. Considering each cap is 10-20, each kill is generally 15-25, that is an absurd amount just for cosmetics.
——————
Not saying pvp rank is absurdly long to obtain in the start, but when you hit 39-40, it will take you maybe an entire 2-3 weeks to get one level.
(lvl 39 and 40-48 take 45k EACH level).
—————————-

It is simply too much rank required for each level. Considering the amount it takes, and the time possible. If I gained 15k each week, it would take me…… over 10 years! HOLY!!!!!
——————-

Simply put, pvp rank levle requirements are RIDICULOUS please, lower them to maybe 30K each at most after 40. Its cosmetics, not actual improvements to the player here. KEEP PEOPLE INTERESTED

in PvP

Posted by: Davinci.8027

Davinci.8027

Healing and protection have already been nerfed considerably. You’re asking to nerf the bread & butter of this game.
I’m sorry, but it just sounds like you’re angry at certain mechanics of the game but dont actually understand what needs to be fixed…

If you spec into being bunker, you should expect to live and do it well. After all, deep bunker specs do no damage…

in PvP

Empiren.6401

Healing and protection have already been nerfed considerably. You’re asking to nerf the bread & butter of this game.
I’m sorry, but it just sounds like you’re angry at certain mechanics of the game but dont actually understand what needs to be fixed…

If you spec into being bunker, you should expect to live and do it well. After all, deep bunker specs do no damage…

What?! Ok the point was that bunkers need a slight nerf(just as burst do), so that more builds will be useful in spvp. We have a LOT of different builds per proffesion, please do not cry when someone ask that a build at one end of the spectrum be toned down from ridiculousness to bring a little more balance to the game.

Seriously, just because I asked for a slight nerf, doesn’t mean I’m against a pure defensive build. Hell I believe that was in the disclaimer.

Edit: Also, If burst get nerfs bunkers by default get a buff of some sorts, so your point is entirely invalid. Please do not be openly biased towards one end of the spectrum over another.

in PvP

Posted by: Sansar.1302

Sansar.1302

So true, the ekstreme burst and bunker nede to be sligthly tuned down to make more builds viable.

in PvP

Empiren.6401

So true, the ekstreme burst and bunker nede to be sligthly tuned down to make more builds viable.

Yup!

Also there will always be builds at the ends of the spectrum(offensive or defensive), suggestions I made were to make more builds viable in-between while still keeping both builds on the ends viable.

in PvP

Posted by: Davinci.8027

Davinci.8027

I’m not crying. Please don’t cry when someone else makes a valid point other than your own.

Moving onto my point:

Bunkers have already been nerfed over and over again the past 4 months. If you actually played this game for more than 2 weeks, you would know how OP bunkers actually WERE.
Bunker guardians atm, are good where they’re at. Elementalists tankiness is a little much, but they lack the amount of CC/Utility/Stomping/Resing Power that a bunker gaurdian has…

in PvP

Empiren.6401

I’m not crying. Please don’t cry when someone else makes a valid point other than your own.

Moving onto my point:

Bunkers have already been nerfed over and over again the past 4 months. If you actually played this game for more than 2 weeks, you would know how OP bunkers actually WERE.
Bunker guardians atm, are good where they’re at. Elementalists tankiness is a little much, but they lack the amount of CC/Utility/Stomping/Resing Power that a bunker gaurdian has…

All I see is a person supporting the class that they play. This same argument is going to happen for bunkers or burst. Even IF they were broken, you’d still have people saying they are fine. I see no reason to take your “point” into consideration.

-Again, you are just upset that I suggested we tone down the pure defensive end of the spectrum.(even though I also suggested burst be toned down as well, which would essentially leave you at the same state).

My point: Bunkers and burst need to be toned down. Please don’t be openly biased towards one over the other.

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Balanced builds are something that won’t happen, even with toning builds from both spectrums down. Damage dealers will always want the biggest numbers, so will min max for best damage. That pushes defensive builds Ito as much defense as possible, the state remains the same.

in PvP

Empiren.6401

Balanced builds are something that won’t happen, even with toning builds from both spectrums down. Damage dealers will always want the biggest numbers, so will min max for best damage. That pushes defensive builds Ito as much defense as possible, the state remains the same.

It makes them more vialbe. Damage dealers will eventually realize utility/control will benifit them more than just raw damage bursting if both ends get toned down.

There will always be players who want pure burst, but other want a balanced build. You can have both.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Moving onto my point:

All I see is a person supporting the class that they play. This same argument is going to happen for bunkers or burst. Even IF they were broken, you’d still have people saying they are fine. I see no reason to take your “point” into consideration.

-Again, you are just upset that I suggested we tone down the pure defensive end of the spectrum.(even though I also suggested burst be toned down as well, which would essentially leave you at the same state).

My point: Bunkers and burst need to be toned down. Please don’t be openly biased towards one over the other.

All I see is a person that can’t handle another opinion from an obviously more expierenced player. The actual bunker/burst state needs some little tweeks but clearly not to be toned down.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

On what could actually fix the problems:

In my experience in any game, players usually don’t want to make major changes to the game, even if the game is dying. As most players have no concept of how to design, and lack the imagination necessary, trying to visualize a whole design concept set apart from what they are used to is impossible for them.

Much of the problem with GW2’s combat is its heavy reliance on numbers, rather than mechanics. Making a build is similar to trying to perfect an Excel document. You aren’t concerned about how a skill will lead into another skill, or the timing on a disrupt or your ability to physically move around the battlefield. You’re concerned with how many stacks of a condition you can create, and how quickly. You’re concerned about how long you can upkeep a single status effect. You’re concerned about maximizing the amount of damage a single skill can produce by pouring more and more numbers into specific stats. Even the traits don’t actively do anything; most simply address numbers and how to improve those numbers. That’s GW2’s main problem.

A redesign of GW2 would have to involve first getting rid of traits almost entirely, as quite honestly, they’re mostly worthless, from a design point a view. Having a very small amount that dramatically change how your character “feels” would be a good idea. Death From Above probably remains my favorite example, as it’s very obvious, visceral, but serves a minor purpose and doesn’t benefit any invisible numbers other than falling damage. Traits should help define the personality of your character, not exist to buff damage, reduce damage or reduce cooldown times.

Secondly, almost all of the armor and runes in the game would need a complete overhaul. Even the most dramatic contrast in numbers between a tank’s armor and a damage dealer’s armor would have number variations so small that the difference would be almost nonexistent. No accessories. Only a single slot for an upgrade to the armor, and the armor itself always has the same base stats for that profession, with no possibility whatsoever of changing anything about it. Any customization is relegated to the single, solitary customization slot per armor piece. No exceptions. Weapons also receive a single upgrade slot. One. No other. These changes are also mostly mechanical. Vampiric mods. Passive slow on hit mods. Healing reduction mods. Etc. No +damage, +critical, or any other kind of damage or mitigation modifying mods of any kind. Those belong on armor, and only armor.

The core of your build are skills. You have an elite slot and a healing slot that are dedicated to those two functions. Your healing slot also always doubles as a resurrection utility slot. There is no reviving mechanic outside of this skill for your character. Weapons have no intrinsic skills, but primary skills are relegated to weapons, meaning certain skills only work with certain weapons. Which you choose and where they are on your skillbar are completely up to you. The number of skills available is tripled, or even quadrupled. What makes you a tank, a damage dealer, or so on is determined primarily by your skills. Your elite is especially important in creating your build, as elite skills have very potent and important, distinctive characteristics that alter how you play. Most have very short cooldowns and can behave as primary attacks. Others have longer cooldowns, but always under a minute, increasing with potency as their cooldowns go up. You can move any skill to any part of your bar. No exceptions. Skills auto-reflect damage values or cooldown values as you alter your stats, dynamically. If your attributes go up for any reason, the tooltip changes. Skills themselves are your primary means of performing on the battlefield. Combat overall is a little slower than in GW2, but more methodical. There are caps on how much armor, attack speed, etc that you can have, all with obvious caps depicted in your stat screens.

Overall, GW2 should be a better version of GW1, but without the tremendous bulk the first game had, and with much better mechanical features. GW2 as it is, is too number happy, too fast for the sake of trying to be fast, and lacking in basic customization features for builds while overcompensating by giving too many completely unnecessary variations on armor building.

Fewer numbers, more meaning.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Sadly, we all know what the chances are for any of those things actually getting some dev recognition.

Furthermore, on the complaint regarding ranks having too high a requirement for cosmetics alone…GW1 had no rewards from rank acquisition, or in other words – the rank itself was your reward, because ranks were, for the most part, a sign of prestige, skill and therefore often a target of admiration (back when they were actually hard to attain, that is). By making the sole pvp rank easily attainable from formats such as hotjoin (which can even be manipulated massively), GW2 completely trivialized the pvp rank, so they have as much ‘worth’ as any random pve rank you come across. Be glad you at least get free cosmetics from that excuse of a ranking system to start with.

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

It makes them more vialbe. Damage dealers will eventually realize utility/control will benifit them more than just raw damage bursting if both ends get toned down.

There will always be players who want pure burst, but other want a balanced build. You can have both.

I already run semi balanced builds on both my Guard and Mes. It’s already possible, but considered by the community “sub optimal”. It may be at the highest level, but for solo que it’s ok.

I’m not against a change at both ends of the spectrum, I just don’t think it will achieve much if anything.

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Sadly, we all know what the chances are for any of those things actually getting some dev recognition.

Furthermore, on the complaint regarding ranks having too high a requirement for cosmetics alone…GW1 had no rewards from rank acquisition, or in other words – the rank itself was your reward, because ranks were, for the most part, a sign of prestige, skill and therefore often a target of admiration (back when they were actually hard to attain, that is). By making the sole pvp rank easily attainable from formats such as hotjoin (which can even be manipulated massively), GW2 completely trivialized the pvp rank, so they have as much ‘worth’ as any random pve rank you come across. Be glad you at least get free cosmetics from that excuse of a ranking system to start with.

This happens when you design a game around casuals. Everything for everyone, no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.). Basically a failed design from beginning, especially hotjoin and rank-grinding.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

This happens when you design a game around casuals. Everything for everyone, no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.). Basically a failed design from beginning, especially hotjoin and rank-grinding.

Not really, every good PvP game normalizes gear (MOBAs, RTS, FPS, etc), that they removed the gear differences is one of the things they got right, because it puts the emphasis on skill, of course this is bad news for those who have been bitten by Pavlov’s dogs or kids that like to faceroll opposition that can’t fight back due to gear differences, good news for anyone that actually likes to PvP.

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Not really, every good PvP game normalizes gear (MOBAs, RTS, FPS, etc), that they removed the gear differences is one of the things they got right, because it puts the emphasis on skill, of course this is bad news for those who have been bitten by Pavlov’s dogs or kids that like to faceroll opposition that can’t fight back due to gear differences, good news for anyone that actually likes to PvP.

I’m talking about the skin not the stats of the gear. That should be clear actually. For stats differences we have WvW zergfests. But thanks again for coming up with useless unconstructive posts.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

I guess some people rather post first and think after (if at all).

in PvP

Posted by: Arty.1738

Arty.1738

I can speak only for myself and everything below is just my experience from the game.
I don’t think the real problem of this game is a balance of classes and/or a bunkers/burst. Current balance need some changes but it’s not that big of a problem
The real problem is very simple – the game isn’t fun from pvp standpoint at this time because of the lack of competition. Me and my team have played lots of tournaments after MMR introduction and still from 10 teams we face only 1 is good.
Custom servers may fix this problem a bit if community will run it’s own tournaments. The other solution is to create some daily/weekly tournaments which will involve more teams and have more rounds

in PvP

Sylosi.6503

I’m talking about the skin not the stats of the gear. That should be clear actually. For stats differences we have WvW zergfests. But thanks again for coming up with useless unconstructive posts.

Then perhaps learn to write more clearly rather than expecting people to read your mind, then throwing your toys out of your pram when they fail to do that – “no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.).” is ambiguous.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Posted by: JimmyJazz.7943

JimmyJazz.7943

About the OP; Bunkers will disappear if there were new game modes; other than holding a point.

As simple as that. you’ll still have bunkers in those “hold your point game type”. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. But do you see a bunker being viable, in let’s say, 5v5 battle in a relatively small map?. Nobody will attack the bunker first, and the bunker surely won’t do enough damage to be a threat.

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Then perhaps learn to write more clearly rather than expecting people to read your mind, then throwing your toys out of your pram when they fail to do that – “no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.).” is ambiguous.

Quote from karla: “Furthermore, on the complaint regarding ranks having too high a requirement for COSMETICS alone…” That’s what I answered to. Clever ppl get it.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Sylosi.6503

Quote from karla: “Furthermore, on the complaint regarding ranks having too high a requirement for COSMETICS alone…” That’s what I answered to. Clever ppl get it.

Which is meaningless becasue your reply of “This happens when you design a game around casuals. Everything for everyone, no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.)” was still utterly ambigious, “clever people” can write clearly.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Which is meaningless becasue your reply of “Everything for everyone, no differences between ppl (gear, rank etc.)” was still utterly ambigious, “clever people” can write clearly.

I think ppl like you are the reason why other ppl will bully/kill/ignore (insert endless list of negative verbs) you. If you couln’t get the bridge on my reply, now it should be clear, even for the slowest ones of us. Other things that aren’t clear for you my son?

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Sylosi.6503

I think ppl like you are the reason why other ppl will bully/kill/ignore (insert endless list of negative verbs) you. If you couln’t get the bridge on my reply, now it should be clear, even for the slowest ones of us. Other things that aren’t clear for you my son?

You don’t take criticism well, do you? Stating what your orginal post was supposed to mean, does not alter that your orginal post was ambiguous (even in the context of the post you replied to), all you had to do was reply saying you meant cosemtic gear specifically, but you couldn’t resist adding some silly comment on the end and now look where that has got you.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in PvP

Posted by: Adris.1859

Adris.1859

Its because GW2 rank is like if you would make Balthazar Faction rank in GW1. It doesn’t really make sense because you get rewarded even if you lose, thats why all these hot join heroes simply grind points not caring about team strategy and winning. GW1 ranks required winning fights and/or chaining your victories. I don’t understant why there is only 1 tier of champion titles (that gives you title).

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Its because GW2 rank is like if you would make Balthazar Faction rank in GW1. It doesn’t really make sense because you get rewarded even if you lose, thats why all these hot join heroes simply grind points not caring about team strategy and winning. GW1 ranks required winning fights and/or chaining your victories. I don’t understant why there is only 1 tier of champion titles (that gives you title).

As many ppl said earlier. A totally messed ranking and title system for pvp.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

If the game had good PvP and good looking gear, I would have loved it more than any other.

But then again I could be special, in other games I only really hunted down gear for the sake of appearances or cool abilities. As a sidenote I’d account myself in the top 25~% or so when it comes to playing MMO PvP, at least at the moment since I haven’t been playing much over the past year since every one lately has sucked balls.

in PvP

Posted by: Vapula.8210

Vapula.8210

About the OP; Bunkers will disappear if there were new game modes; other than holding a point.

As simple as that. you’ll still have bunkers in those “hold your point game type”. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. But do you see a bunker being viable, in let’s say, 5v5 battle in a relatively small map?. Nobody will attack the bunker first, and the bunker surely won’t do enough damage to be a threat.

This is assuming an arena-style map without objectives, and I can see bunkers being viable on something like a true CTF map. But it doesn’t matter because Anet wants conquest to be the primary mode that matters. Anything new will still likely still be conquest with different secondary objectives.

Jared Kincaid

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Moving onto my point:

All I see is a person that can’t handle another opinion from an obviously more expierenced player. The actual bunker/burst state needs some little tweeks but clearly not to be toned down.

In fact spirit watch is so fun, dat dps.

lolwot

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

The extremes in character customization are too wide at the moment. There are builds that are too bursty but too glassy others too tanky and do no dmg. I do think the game would be better if those extremes were pulled in a bit, not a lot but a bit. So that now that burst class wont’ go down in two swings if they get caught and that tank can actually dish out some dmg regardless of going full defense. The fix is rather simple and has nothing to do with classes or traits or abilities etc. It’s just about the amulets. Just redo the balance distribution on them to force players going defensive to pick up more of offensive stats of their choices (crit, condi or power) and burst classes to pick more defensive stats (healing, toughness, vit). Example: Change berserker amulet stats distribution to 648 power, 569 prec, 528 vit, 10% crit dmg. And do similar things for other amulets, adding a bit more offensive stats to def ones as well, basically making their stat distribution less “extreme”. By doing that you also open up the possibility for more types of amulets and just make the game more balanced.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

in PvP

Empiren.6401

The extremes in character customization are too wide at the moment. There are builds that are too bursty but too glassy others too tanky and do no dmg. I do think the game would be better if those extremes were pulled in a bit, not a lot but a bit. So that now that burst class wont’ go down in two swings if they get caught and that tank can actually dish out some dmg regardless of going full defense. The fix is rather simple and has nothing to do with classes or traits or abilities etc. It’s just about the amulets. Just redo the balance distribution on them to force players going defensive to pick up more of offensive stats of their choices (crit, condi or power) and burst classes to pick more defensive stats (healing, toughness, vit). Example: Change berserker amulet stats distribution to 648 power, 569 prec, 528 vit, 10% crit dmg. And do similar things for other amulets, adding a bit more offensive stats to def ones as well, basically making their stat distribution less “extreme”. By doing that you also open up the possibility for more types of amulets and just make the game more balanced.

That might work actually, amulets play the biggest part in stat distribution and changing the full offense/defense ones a bit would essentially change the build using them a lot
————————
(unrelated to the quote)
Also, I like that people are responding, but there is more than one part I addressed. Even if you can’t help yourself from arguing over burst/bunker, trying to ego-boost, or such, please, give an actual suggestion aside from “just redesign the whole game.”