sPvP Is Inconvienient. Let's Fix It.

in PvP

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Player vs Player in Guild Wars 2 is Inconvenient

• Menus are unintuitive and glitchy.
  • Rewards lack PvE value.
  • There is a lack of a in depth progression system.
  • Leavers are still a major problem.
  • Paid sPvP matches are underwhelming.
  • There is no spectator mode.
  • There is a lack of modes.

Let’s get down to it. Remember these are my personal opinions on how these can best be fixed, and is simply here to provide feedback to the devs.

Menu Issues
Besides the glitches and bugs that the menus have, they are overall just lacking in many ways. Firstly, to access the PvP servers to join a match, you must talk to an NPC. This is really not the most convenient way to join a server in an mmo, since you need to walk up to someone to join a PvP match. Instead, how about integrating the PvP server browser into a menu that can be accessed anywhere in the game? There is a reason why modern day mmorpgs have taken up this practice, it is good.

Secondly, menus in PvP do not give information as quickly as I’d like. I cannot see the kills, deaths, assists and captures of other players. I can only see the points they’ve acquired. How about making the menu in PvP in a way that very clearly shows the kills, deaths, assists, and captures of all players? Knowing which player is skilled and which is not is key for PvP.

Make the menus stand out more, make them sharper. The watercolor art style is very smudgy, and makes menus a bit harder to read than they should be. The menus themselves should stand out very clearly, and be easy to read, even if glanced at for a second. In the topic of information, there should be more of it. Show the stats of the players, give us the amount of power, toughness, etc that each player has, so that we can have a better understanding of our team, and the enemy team’s composition.

PvP Lacks PvE Value
In sPvP, there is a severe lack of gaining any foothold economically in PvE. A player that PvPs will be very very poor compared to the average PvE player. This is a bad thing, because it makes it feel like PvPers are not rewarded for participating in PvP, and eventually they fall behind in terms of money. The funny thing is, ANet has the solution to this problem in Guild Wars 1. Zaishen Keys. These were keys that could be gained by trading PvP points, and each key could open a chest that had the chance of giving some of the rarest items in the game. PvE’rs bought tons of these keys, which in turn gave a source of income for PvPers.
Also, why not give a way to level up in PvE while PvPing, besides WvWvW that is.
The PvP gear you can gain can stay, although I feel that there should be a visual difference between the PvE sets and the PvP sets. Maybe give PvPers an expensive glory point item that can add visual effects to weapons and armor?

(edited by arrownin.3128)

in PvP

arrownin.3128

In Depth Progression System Lacking
I feel that this game can learn a lot from League of Legends, and Dota2. Progression in GW2 is purely cosmetic, the PvP that is. At end game for PvE this is fine, but in PvP I feel that there should be more progression in terms of rank. The better you get, the higher your rank gets, and the higher your rank, the harder your enemies will become. Have leaderboards that can be viewed to show the top teams and players, giving them REAL glory, not some contrived dress up exp. Create an ELO system, that can give real purpose to improve, and to advance forward in ranking.

Leavers
Give them a debuff that prevents them from joining a new game for 10 minutes. Why is this not in the game. It is not a new concept.

sPvP Paid Matches are Underwhelming
There is basically the teams that have ventrillo or skype and are very organized, and then there is the solo joiners that get stomped. At the end the two teams that are on skype battle it out and one of them win. The solo joiners get wrecked hard and the cycle continues. This is not interesting for the teams that are organized, or the solo joiners. Make a separate queue for each one. Also, rewards for this should be greater, but also special. Give special rewards only gained from Paid Tournaments that can show that you have beaten your foes in this type of game.

in PvP

arrownin.3128

No Spectator Mode
Add. This. Now. New players learn from watching advanced players. Add this so that new players can learn. This is so important that I cannot even express my disappointment that this is not added. We need a spectator mode that provides full information on both teams, and is able to be streamed and commentated on. This is the driving factor for both educating new players, and moving esports for gw2 forward.

Lack of Modes
I really don’t care if you don’t balance new modes, the point is that we need variation. You can obviously create new modes from what you’ve shown in the holiday events, so how about making some permanent ones. We really desperately need this.

in PvP

arrownin.3128

Menus are unintuitive and glitchy.

-Myself nor any of my guild mates have ever encountered anything like this, perhaps get a real computer?

Rewards lack PvE value.

-Why would there be PvE value from sPvP items? Who cares? I dont come to sPvP to kittening PvE, gtfo care bear.

There is a lack of a in depth progression system.

-You clearly dont care about the PvP quality, this is also apparent from your 2nd bullet point. Who the F cares about meaningless, superficial crap like this? You want some shiny little icon or some crap to represent something about your progression? Does that make you feel like you have some semblence of skill or just time dedicated? Go complete the world map, since its not the actual PvP you are caring about

Leavers are still a major problem.

When will “leavers” not be a problem? Do you actually think some short term punishment for leaving will make people not want to leave? You want anet to slap people on the wrist and put them in time out? QQ

Tournaments aren’t in the game yet.

They are.

Paid sPvP matches are underwhelming.

Any proof of your major paid tourney accomplishments? Just wondering since your opinion seems to be PvE centric so far, which has nothing to do with the quality of the PvP itself.

There is no spectator mode.

Go watch a stream.

There is a lack of modes.

Yup.

TL;DR

This guy cares too much about PvE, superficial representations of accomplishments, unimportant menial features that can easily be supplemented by simple google searches. He’s not a sPvP’er.

All you did was say QQ l2p.

in PvP

Posted by: EaGrimdarK.7849

EaGrimdarK.7849

All you did was say QQ l2p.

It’s sad you want to provide your opinion but do nothing but reject other’s opinions that contradict your own with contrite responses of ignorant refusal. /sarcasm Yeah you totally care about what you have to say. Ha, you just want to say some cool sounding things and feel better about yourself and the quality of your opinion by getting people to agree with your generic superficial concerns.

I realized this as well as some other things, hence me deleting my post. Though I dont mind everyone getting the chance to read it. I just decided you werent worth it after hitting the Post button. My bad.

Edit: I said QQ once, never said L2P and provided depthful reasoning as to why I thought you were wrong, you have no respect for the communities opinion, you just want people to like you and agree with you.

If you are that upset at GW2 then you just look like an idiot for sticking around. -Bongwizard Slubs

(edited by EaGrimdarK.7849)

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

-Myself nor any of my guild mates have ever encountered anything like this, perhaps get a real computer?

Rewards lack PvE value.

-Why would there be PvE value from sPvP items? Who cares? I dont come to sPvP to kittening PvE, gtfo care bear.

-You clearly dont care about the PvP quality, this is also apparent from your 2nd bullet point. Who the F cares about meaningless, superficial crap like this? You want some gay little icon or some crap to represent something about your progression? Go complete the world map, since its not PvP you are caring about

When will “leavers” not be a problem? Do you actually think some short term punishment for leaving will make people not want to leave? You want anet to slap people on the wrist and put them in time out? QQ

They are.

Any proof of your major paid tourney accomplishments? Just wondering since your opinion seems to be PvE centric so far, which has nothing to do with the quality of the PvP itself.

Go watch a stream.

Yup.

TL;DR

This guy cares too much about PvE, superficial representations of accomplishments, unimportant menial features that can easily be supplemented by simple google searches. He’s not a sPvP’er.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but please try to be friendly instead of being so hostile.

There are some things in the OP that should be implemented. For example, spectator client is in the works, but streams are not a replacement for that. Leavers are a problem, but instead of saying there’s no way to fix it, maybe with a discussion a solution can be thought up to at least put a dent into it.

Also, providing PvE incentives for competing in sPvP can be a great gateway for newer players to start playing sPvP. There’s a lot of people that just do dungeons, WvW, etc. When a rating system comes out I think it would be a great idea to give some incentives for PvEers to try out sPvP again.

Lastly, Be Friendly! There’s no reason to split the community into sPvPers vs non-sPvPers. We all play this game because we love guild wars 2! Embrace it.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

EaGrimdarK.7849

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but please try to be friendly instead of being so hostile.

There are some things in the OP that should be implemented. For example, spectator client is in the works, but streams are not a replacement for that. Leavers are a problem, but instead of saying there’s no way to fix it, maybe with a discussion a solution can be thought up to at least put a dent into it.

Also, providing PvE incentives for competing in sPvP can be a great gateway for newer players to start playing sPvP. There’s a lot of people that just do dungeons, WvW, etc. When a rating system comes out I think it would be a great idea to give some incentives for PvEers to try out sPvP again.

Lastly, Be Friendly! There’s no reason to split the community into sPvPers vs non-sPvPers. We all play this game because we love guild wars 2! Embrace it.

Yes, I totally agree which is why I deleted my post, it was too negative. :\

If you are that upset at GW2 then you just look like an idiot for sticking around. -Bongwizard Slubs

in PvP

arrownin.3128

Rewards lack PvE value.

-You clearly dont care about the PvP quality, this is also apparent from your 2nd bullet point. Who the F cares about meaningless, superficial crap like this? You want some gay little icon or some crap to represent something about your progression? Go complete the world map, since its not PvP you are caring about

They are.

Go watch a stream.

Yup.

TL;DR

Thank you I just want to bring more people from PvE into PvP and to do that you need to provide some incentive.

in PvP

EaGrimdarK.7849

I consider sPvP’ers seperate from PvE’ers because of my experiences from GW1, my bad. I forgot about the other crowd GW2 pulled in. Though I will admit it was negative of me, I still hold to the opinion that a lot of this guy’s concerns are superficial. PvE incentive would be acceptable to get community exposure going but most PvE’ers wont stay. They will get their PvE incentive reward and leave.

in PvP

Posted by: Klassic.8057

Klassic.8057

I think most of OPs points are clear and needed to be implemented into the game, idk what’s up with this guy lol

Kanto

in PvP

arrownin.3128

I consider sPvP’ers seperate from PvE’ers because of my experiences from GW1, my bad. I forgot about the other crowd GW2 pulled in. Though I will admit it was negative of me, I still hold to the opinion that a lot of this guy’s concerns are superficial. PvE incentive would be acceptable to get community exposure going but most PvE’ers wont stay. They will get their PvE incentive reward and leave.

In GW1 there are direct rewards to PvE that are gained from PvP. Which include unlocking skills, Zaishen Keys, unlocking pets for rangers, and gaining money from winning tournaments, and the Zaishen quests were implemented later.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Leavers – get used to them.
-There’s no rank based matchmaking system (That works – “Join now” is a quick way to get into a 1 on 1,), I routinely leave games where everyone else is less than rank 10; its not fun to roflstomp new players, and its absolutely useless to try to test new specs against players who don’t know what they’re doing.
- There’s no way to test specs outside hotjoin. If a new spec doesn’t pan out the way I thought it would, I don’t want to spend 10 minutes being a free kill.
- Zerglings. I don’t enjoy fighting Zerg to lose glory farming teams. I like to win, but I’m not going to spend 10 minutes running cap point to cap point to “win” with 80 points so I can watch the “losing” team exit with 200-300.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

EaGrimdarK.7849

In GW1 there are direct rewards to PvE that are gained from PvP. Which include unlocking skills, Zaishen Keys, unlocking pets for rangers, and gaining money from winning tournaments, and the Zaishen quests were implemented later.

Im aware, and its totally my fault i didn’t relate what I meant, I’ve messed up a lot in this thread so far so I’m just going to back down haha.

I think most of OPs points are clear and needed to be implemented into the game, idk what’s up with this guy lol

I never said they shouldnt be implemented lol. I was questioning the validity of their importance at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: Klassic.8057

Klassic.8057

I liked the carebear part though, that kitten was hilarious

Kanto

in PvP

arrownin.3128

Leavers – get used to them.
-There’s no rank based matchmaking system (That works – “Join now” is a quick way to get into a 1 on 1,), I routinely leave games where everyone else is less than rank 10; its not fun to roflstomp new players, and its absolutely useless to try to test new specs against players who don’t know what they’re doing.
- There’s no way to test specs outside hotjoin. If a new spec doesn’t pan out the way I thought it would, I don’t want to spend 10 minutes being a free kill.
- Zerglings. I don’t enjoy fighting Zerg to lose glory farming teams. I like to win, but I’m not going to spend 10 minutes running cap point to cap point to “win” with 80 points so I can watch the “losing” team exit with 200-300.

Doesnt that just show a flaw in the system though?

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Hotjoin menu sucks. A proper lobby and game creation setup would’ve made it all more intuitive. Don’t know why they went with this, just makes PvP weird, and means there probably going to do some disjointed crap like GW1 again. Brb travel to separate island to do Team Arena’s…just have it in the same spot.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Zoose.1640

Zoose.1640

Rewards lack PvE value.

They are.

Go watch a stream.

Yup.

TL;DR

Follidus is such a good guy it disgusts me sometimes. xD

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

That’s the only problem with PvP in my opinion, it should just be something like each player from winning team gets 200 points and each one from losing team gets 100 ( just examples..)

The actual system rewards casual playing, but isn’t enough serious. Someone doing only tournaments will probably have 10 ranks less than someone who did only hotjoins during the same time( this can even be more if the tournament player is earning 0-50 pts per round, which is quite common for some classes/tactics)

in PvP

Posted by: Surgee.2149

Surgee.2149

JOIN AS PARTY!!!!!

I bought this game for myself and my wife. We were WoW pros in PvP before. It was amazing experience. Planned to do same here but when I’ve learned that you can’t do matchmaking in a party I got very disapointed. I refuse to do PvP untill they add party system. Oh and please add modes with less players so it’s not just DPS galore but more strategic gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

You forgot the most important thing: The entry point to sPvP for new players is horrible.

Casual 5v5 is almost none existent, as it turns into 2v1 or 3v2 games instead, because the match making system can’t keep up. 8v8 is nothing more then a zerg fest, which is much more fun to play in WvW. And finally; there is no restriction for high skilled players, so they can just freely run around in casual games, and totally screw up the experience for new players even further.

Solution:
Make sPvP only have 5v5 games, and make a cue up system that funnels players into existing games, so we end up with as many full 5v5 games as possible.
Make different “skill ladders” that are restricted by skill level, so higher skilled players won’t be mixed in matches with low skilled players. This should be restricted to profession, and not account.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)