sPvP needs diversity

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Free.6501

Free.6501

Hey everyone!
The following are just my two cents:

After testing custom arenas with some friends and playin some good old deathmatches and KotH, I just dont want to play capture over and over again, its just no fun for me.

I played gw2 pvp for 2weeks and having one mode which isnt fun at all made me quit sPvP, gw1 had so much diversity in terms of PvP and I had over 3000hours of gametime.

So why not giving us back some of that diversity for PvP? GvG and HoH would be a nice first step.

Problems like focus fire can be solved with sPvP permanent buffs like:
Players joining GvG/HoH-mode getting xx % less dmg/getting xx % more heal.
Also it would allow you to implement more combo skills and finisher, which are pleasing to play with but not op with the right numbers.

I know my suggestion might not be the optimal choice but like I said, when I played gw1 pvp for over 3000hours but quit gw2 pvp after just 2weeks because I got bored out, not furstrated! … maybe its just me, but I feel like there is no reason to play sPvP when its neither rewarding nor fun to play.

Hopefully Im wrong and most of you guys enjoy sPvP.

gz Free

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I think pretty much everyone will agree that sPvP needs more variation. But before that happens, I would really like to see a much bigger focus on profession balance, so each profession can have at least three viable tPvP builds. Then we can start talking about alternative game modes, and ArenaNet will be able to balance professions according to each new mode.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Basically conquest game modes are a teaching tool for improving teams to take on actual competitive game modes, such as TDM (team death match) and CTF (capture the flag). It teaches the team how to efficiently move around a map and how to best use the topography to their class’s advantage. The lessons learned from this teaching tool game mode are then brought into the real PvP arena of TDM or CTF. In TDM working together, moving around the map, and controlling the areas of that map are vital to success and are skills that are reinforced from conquest. In CTF the most paramount aspect is efficient movement and maximizing topographical advantages, which are also learned from the conquest game mode. Simply put conquest mode is a “learning to play the game” mode that if focused on as a primary mode discourages becoming a better PvPer. A game that doesn’t award victory for kills but for taking and defending objectives is only PvP because the enemy happens to be player controlled. If I can build a nearly unkillable character with nothing but mobility based specs, knockbacks, knockdowns, immobilizes, dazes, and stuns the conquest mode doesn’t care if I couldn’t squish a fly with a critical hit. So long as I can take and hold objectives I win, whether my team is more skilled than the enemy team in actually fighting or not is irrelevant. Good at conquest is not good at PvP and the player base knows this and wants a game mode that allows them to demonstrate their skill.

The problem with sPvP is that so few people play it because it needs so much improvement and the reason ANet doesn’t focus on improving it is because so few people play it. It’s a vicious cycle that has left sPvP gut-shot and hemorrhaging a hardcore player base with no one working to patch it up. Not matter how much noise we make for a worth while sPvP experience its drowned out by the sound of the PvE playerbase clamoring for more content. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing the whole mode scrapped and completely redone in the image of GW1: Random Arenas, Team Arenas, Guild versus Guild (uh hello, GUILD Wars without any warring guilds? Wtf!?), Alliance Battles, and Hero’s Ascent arenas (HoH). And lets not forget Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood either.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Free.6501

Thanks guys for your great feedback!

And one little thing I wanted to add right here, I love gw2 pve+wvw its a nice expierience for me but reading interviews from Anet about sPvP makes me a little angry.
They talk about big eSports and implementing great stuff to sPvP, which in fact, arent that great and while the community quits sPvP, still they are kinda hyped and talk like everything is great.
But what I really want, is that they RETHINK stuff and get actually serious about sPvP if not, than talking about eSports was a complete lie and they actually tricked people to play the game.

I dont think Anet shouldnt be hyped about their game, it adds passion and we see that in PvE but I have the feeling they just miss so many bad things about their game which have to be redone in order to be enjoyable.

I would love to read an official post about sPvP which answers our concerns and shows us what they planned to solve that big problem and not just keep talking like sPvP is perfect as it is.

(edited by Free.6501)

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Zabrios.6079

Zabrios.6079

The problem with sPvP is that so few people play it because it needs so much improvement and the reason ANet doesn’t focus on improving it is because so few people play it. It’s a vicious cycle that has left sPvP gut-shot and hemorrhaging a hardcore player base with no one working to patch it up. Not matter how much noise we make for a worth while sPvP experience its drowned out by the sound of the PvE playerbase clamoring for more content. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing the whole mode scrapped and completely redone in the image of GW1: Random Arenas, Team Arenas, Guild versus Guild (uh hello, GUILD Wars without any warring guilds? Wtf!?;), Alliance Battles, and Hero’s Ascent arenas (HoH). And lets not forget Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood either.

I agree with nearly everything that you posted, but everybody makes the same mistake. The name of GUILD WARS comes after the lore of Tyria, not the GvG mode. I just wanted to point that out.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

The problem with sPvP is that so few people play it because it needs so much improvement and the reason ANet doesn’t focus on improving it is because so few people play it. It’s a vicious cycle that has left sPvP gut-shot and hemorrhaging a hardcore player base with no one working to patch it up. Not matter how much noise we make for a worth while sPvP experience its drowned out by the sound of the PvE playerbase clamoring for more content. I for one wouldn’t mind seeing the whole mode scrapped and completely redone in the image of GW1: Random Arenas, Team Arenas, Guild versus Guild (uh hello, GUILD Wars without any warring guilds? Wtf!?;), Alliance Battles, and Hero’s Ascent arenas (HoH). And lets not forget Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood either.

I agree with nearly everything that you posted, but everybody makes the same mistake. The name of GUILD WARS comes after the lore of Tyria, not the GvG mode. I just wanted to point that out.

Oh it’s no mistake. I know all about the mild mention of the actual guild wars that happened prior to the beginning of Guild Wars, before the searing. Devona is one of the few NPC’s that even mentions them as her father fought in them. That’s of course an extremely minute lore mention of which is literally never experienced in the game. That’s kinda like naming a game Monkey Wars but then having the entire game only mention these monkey wars a few times in kind of mundane “way back when” context and then actually be about stopping a man in a yellow hat from raising an army of plush constructs to dominate the world. Unless there was some Monkey versus Monkey in that game, where the to greatest poo flinger goes the glory, the game would have a very foolishly derived name. Henceforth without GvG or actually anything at all to do with the guild wars the game name is $%#&ing stupid.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Oh it’s no mistake. I know all about the mild mention of the actual guild wars that happened prior to the beginning of Guild Wars, before the searing. Devona is one of the few NPC’s that even mentions them as her father fought in them. That’s of course an extremely minute lore mention of which is literally never experienced in the game. That’s kinda like naming a game Monkey Wars but then having the entire game only mention these monkey wars a few times in kind of mundane “way back when” context and then actually be about stopping a man in a yellow hat from raising an army of plush constructs to dominate the world. Unless there was some Monkey versus Monkey in that game, where the to greatest poo flinger goes the glory, the game would have a very foolishly derived name. Henceforth without GvG or actually anything at all to do with the guild wars the game name is $%#&ing stupid.

This.

edit: I’d like to point out that conquest was never popular on ANY other game that had it before guild wars 2 (only exception maybe is Battlefield which is an entirely different design).

Its often shrugged off as just some extra mode when your tired of the main mode, like in TF2, Gears of war, league of legends etc, etc, they all put it in…its never super successful. I’d really like to know the reasoning on why they settled with it, the combat and the no stat progression in pvp and well done art and graphics are the ONLY reason its held the small player base that spvp has held onto. and tbh, i’ve watched conquest matches….they’re not entertaining to watch….spectator mode simply reinforced that this was a bad choice for an E-sport.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Are people getting paid to spout this nonsense? No seriously, literally (literally literally) every single time someone mentions Guild Wars PVP should stick more to its roots name-wise (and I might add, it should not only name-wise), someone with too much time WILL come along and drop that useless factoid, be it relevant to the topic or not. GW was originally a game centered around GvG combat with PVE being more of an introduction to the mechanics. Developing very esoteric lore before basic game concepts and the very central visions isn’t how you approach game development, it’s like saying Anet wanted to model Dolyaks before they wanted to create WvW. They most likely had the vision of a GvG CORPG first, named that fittingly Guild Wars, and then inserted a lore piece to tie everything together.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Sargentswiggy.1859

Sargentswiggy.1859

gw2 does not work on spvp because theres no microtransactions they can implement in it all the new updates only bring new junk in the gem store and thats all they care about

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

spectator mode simply reinforced that this was a bad choice for an E-sport.

You know what? When 2 years have passed and this game isn’t up to where it should be need on E-sport level then I probably still wouldn’t care. However saying spectator mode is bad choice for E-sport? How would you know what E-sport wants unless you work there? If E-sport came on to these forum and said spectator mode sucks skritt rations then yeah it was bad choice, but I would not think that.

Pineapples

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

You know what? When 2 years have passed and this game isn’t up to where it should be need on E-sport level then I probably still wouldn’t care. However saying spectator mode is bad choice for E-sport? How would you know what E-sport wants unless you work there? If E-sport came on to these forum and said spectator mode sucks skritt rations then yeah it was bad choice, but I would not think that.

He used spectator and found that the conquest mode (ping-pong, bubbleboys, and mindless aoe spam) was not fun to watch as he expected.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

He used spectator and found that the conquest mode (ping-pong, bubbleboys, and mindless aoe spam) was not fun to watch as he expected.

So they need to fix that issue so there can be less of that and also adding more games duh. I get that nobody loves to watch zergfest and if they did might as well install spectator mode for WvW. They get tons of that, but overall I don’t mind spectator mode, but saying bad choice for E-sport? I am like who are you? The leader of their company?

Pineapples

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: DevO.9854

DevO.9854

I don’t think we will see a TDM because that does not encourage combat, in a lot of ways. I mean consider having a entire team of theifs who just run and hide then all jump someone at the same time then go run and hide again.

That does not sound fun at all. Unless they find some way around that I don’t see it happening.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I don’t think we will see a TDM because that does not encourage combat, in a lot of ways. I mean consider having a entire team of theifs who just run and hide then all jump someone at the same time then go run and hide again.

That does not sound fun at all. Unless they find some way around that I don’t see it happening.

Arena needs new, smaller maps, like they were in GW.
Playing arena on conquest designed ma kitten tupid, of course.

sPvP needs diversity

in PvP

Free.6501

Yep with new map design, 3v3 and 5v5 TDM is possible.
One idea could be like in gw1, buffs for players playin near shrines and gettin buffs like regen/dmg reduction/etc. so hard dmg spikes can be countered better and overall gameplay gets rewarded over longer fights.