Commander Specific Abilities

in WvW

Posted by: Frosti.4856

Frosti.4856

How do you feel about adding in a Commander Ability System.

Abilities would include things like:

Banners Very much Like the Warrior Banners

Commanders Much like Guilds could drop Siege Equipment once every 6 hours x1 per eq, but they would be superior siege eq

I.e. 1 x Superior Ram
1 x Superior Catas

ETC

This would have a 6 – hour cool-down.

Commanders Should also get Innate Buffs

These buffs could be selected but would have different names, but you can only select one buff as a commander, these work the same way as traits. You can only have a buff based on a points tree for the primary attributes.

You get 100 points

Power
Precision
Vitality
Toughness

You can trait in any tree for up to 100 points. In this way you could have commanders focused on downing enemy’s more easily through 50 power / 50 Prec which *10 per Trait Line = + 500 Power and + 500 Prec

In this way Commanders would survive more, or if you are in a blob and are wanting to do quick skirmishes hit up Power or Prec for easy kills.

Commanders Can issue Map Wide WvW Signals

There is Party signals and commander signals already implemented but you need to be in their party or squad to see. Commanders should have the privilege of being able to put these commands on the map for the entire map to see. If commanders abuse they get their commands taken of them for 2 hours , something like that. I.e. Spamming.

If you have any other suggestions let me know. I am a Commander to if anyone was wondering.

Frozdí 80 – Ranger Rainbows from my Bow? I Think So
Frózdí 80 – Thief IF you DARE be AWARE

in WvW

Posted by: Mura.8673

Mura.8673

The other ideas might be good, but I foresee problems with your innate buffs idea. min/maxers would get the commander status just to have that buff, with no intention of doing anything else commander-like.

What are party signals and commander signals… do you mean something other than squad chat channel?

in WvW

Posted by: pejot.4806

pejot.4806

I agree with the signals issue – commanders should be able to communicate with people not in voice comms easier. But special abilities/buffs given to commanders would result in lots of spare commanders in the map – people would put their icons on not for tactical reasons, but just to get buffs.

Anya of the Mists
[TaG] guild/raid leader
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Frosti.4856

In a Squad Party, commanders can give commands like defend or attack on the map.

Also I do see what you mean about the innate buff. Maybe they should make commander status not available through gold (badges) any more without telling us and introduce this

in WvW

Frosti.4856

I agree with the signals issue – commanders should be able to communicate with people not in voice comms easier. But special abilities/buffs given to commanders would result in lots of spare commanders in the map – people would put their icons on not for tactical reasons, but just to get buffs.

Well what about the Banners like the warrior for speed buffs, as a ranger commander I am useless compared to a warrior commander unless I use warhorn. Infact guardian / warrior / elementalist/ mesmer are probably the best I think all commanders should be able to drop swiftness banners, protection banners etc etc. Do you not? Something to improve our survivability..

in WvW

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

The ability to drop siege may also have the same effect as the stat bonuses, though to a lesser extent. There are those would pop the pin for the siege. (Again, only a small fraction.) Still, considering how much the pin cost us and how often commanders are the ones throwing siege/upgrading, anything to save some silver would be welcome.

I like the signals though. As a commander, I spend half my time looking at the map anyway, so dropping markers instead of typing into chat would be useful. The squad function is busted, IMO, as we can’t see commander WPs without joining the squad. When I’m not commanding, I don’t join squads because I want to be able to see all the pins.

To add a thought to the signals, joining squads should highlight your commander’s signal, while other commander signals still show up on the full map but not the minimap. Or any variation of this like a different color for the commander you’re following or faded signals for commanders that you aren’t following, etc.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

As long as commander status is only obtainable through a gold purchase then it should not provide any other advantages.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

This is equivalent to p2win isnt it?

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Maybe if commanders only get these abilities based on the number of people following them.

I already think there’s a problem with too many people getting commander tags without really commanding anyone. This will make it 100x worse if simply paying 100g gets you all these perks.

But if it was something like….

Commanders with 10 people following them radiate Swiftness full time.
Commanders with 20 people following them additionally radiate Regeneration and +50 toughness.
(etc)

Commanders with < 10 people following them are just dudes with symbols on the map.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

If there was any commander ability I would want it would be the ability to see all allied forces on a map. I mean like mark their locations on the minimap but instead of the short range you normally get make it map wide. Half the time I have to make my zerg respond to threats on the other side of the map because I don’t know if we have any forces over there that can handle them.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: graverr.6473

graverr.6473

1.Add commander abilities
2.Open WvW map
3.Enjoy 100 blue badges running arround

xd

Mini Somales -Seven Instincts- [siN]

(edited by graverr.6473)

in WvW

Frosti.4856

If there was any commander ability I would want it would be the ability to see all allied forces on a map. I mean like mark their locations on the minimap but instead of the short range you normally get make it map wide. Half the time I have to make my zerg respond to threats on the other side of the map because I don’t know if we have any forces over there that can handle them.

See the ability to see all allied forces on the map would then lead to ridiculous zergs and commanders telling people to stop doing what theyre doing so that everyone in the map goes to one place, where is the fun in that. I would be in favour of radial bonuses which apply as the guy 4 posts up said ‘affecting how many players surround the commander’

in WvW

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I think it’s enough that they get people to follow them, or stay far far away from them, depending on whose name appears on the map.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

You should get more WXP from killing a commander+ a title track: Commander Slayer

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in WvW

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

You should get more WXP from killing a commander+ a title track: Commander Slayer

I can dream about them tossing in the ability to kill the bad ones on your own side and award the title “Commander Fragger”.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Crimson Magdelana.9024

Crimson Magdelana.9024

But if it was something like….

Commanders with 10 people following them radiate Swiftness full time.
Commanders with 20 people following them additionally radiate Regeneration and +50 toughness.
(etc)

Commanders with < 10 people following them are just dudes with symbols on the map.

If you’re being serious, this would be the most OP suggestion I’ve ever read on the forums. Besides…don’t you think that the smaller groups would need more buffs than a group of 20+?

You call it afk. I call it getting a beer.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I like the Signals idea. While I’m on the fence about mechanical buffs, the ability to more easily communicate on a broader level is something I feel a commander should attain.
I also feel that squads should be reworked, guild dots on the minimap should be yellow (not commander specific), and commands such as /supplyinfo should have a slightly broader radius.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Besides…don’t you think that the smaller groups would need more buffs than a group of 20+?

So your suggestion is for the commanders with the least followers to get the biggest buffs?

That sounds like another recipe for 100 commanders on the map.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Commanders should get ingame VOIP (maybe for people in your squad only?).

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

I would like a Giant war banner. if the commander held this banner it made him a target to enemies but the banner gives buffs to everyone in his squad in the area. Sort of like those large flags on the back of samarai.

It would be obvious who the enemy commander was so players would focus him, keeping your commander alive would benefit your zerg so its a risk/ rewards idea

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

…I foresee problems with your innate buffs idea. min/maxers would get the commander status just to have that buff, with no intention of doing anything else commander-like. …

As long as commander status is only obtainable through a gold purchase then it should not provide any other advantages.

This is equivalent to p2win isnt it?

All these things and more. There are already enough commanders who’ve bought a tag just to show the world that they have 100 gold to spare.

The last thing I want to see when I log in to WvW is 50 commander tags all over the map (or more likely all bunched up in one spot anyway).

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

No to any physical stat buffs, boons, or any skills of that nature.
Yes to more user interfacing that allows the commander to better communicate with people on the minimap and world map (and in combat like being able to flag certain areas for where to rally, etc).
Yes to more informational displays that enables the commander to more easily know details such as the supply of people near him without having to type (have it on the screen, please).
Yes to all of these options being toggleable so the commander can pick/choose what he/she wants on at any given time.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Nnekk.5806

Nnekk.5806

Commander tags should cost 500 gold and a certain amount of WXP

But, yes, there should be more (and better) “tools” available than there currently are.

Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Something I posted in another thread (with a slight variant)

Shademehr.1397

New Commander ability: “Salvage Siege”

Commander may salvage siege and regain % of the supply used to create the siege item. There is also a 15% chance to recover the siege blueprint. A higher WvW rank in “Salvage Siege” will raise the percentage chance for recovered supply and blueprints.

This ability does not work on enemy siege.

There would also have to be a way for Commanders to distribute the supply or massively increase their supply carry capacity

(edited by Shademehr.1397)

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Buffs for commanders? No no no no no. Do I need to say it again? No No No. Everyone would just have commander tags on then.

Commanders need just one special ability… the ability to unclaim camps/towers/etc that do not have buffs.

in WvW

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

This. This this this this this this this this.
We already have too many kittenty commanders, we don’t need to give incentive for more.

Include a req for 1000+ badges, as well as 100g, and I’ll agree.

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

How about having a private option so we can actually create specific or medium size forces? Sometimes we want to coordinate 3-4 groups together without a shiny blue “zerg magnet” inviting everyone else in the zone to come to our position.

They need a way to hide the commander pin AND still retain all the functions of the squad system for guilds and medium sized forces who wish to coordinate privately.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

ooo orbital strikes

but then there will be even more cmdrs….