Posted by: Xoranium.6481

Xoranium.6481

Q:

Hi all,

In your humble opinions,
What affects your gameplay the most?

1. Culling
2. Skill Lag

Just interested in the community opinion since skill lag will not be fixed in the next patch.

Thx for your feedback

Xor

[WvW]Xoranium – Thief – Treb Master of Gandara

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Skill lag. and 15

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Heru.5427

Heru.5427

I almost always notice culling, so it’s worse in the way that it’s more consistent, but the effects of skill lag once it’s there is way worse for me personally.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

Skill lag, definitely.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: problematic.9623

problematic.9623

Skill lag. But I will consider it “progress” if culling is resolved as we requested months ago. I worry how long a skill lag fix will take to implement.

We all agree the gameplay has become less than worthy of our time in WvW. The developers will need to move quickly to maintain their game.

We have other products to peruse in the long term.

Phun – Guardian
I renounce my hibernation and return.
Sea of Sorrows survivor – Currently on Blackgate

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

skill lag ofc.

But skill lag is more of a hardware problem as I know it. While culling is fixable via code.

[TA]

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

You can deal with culling but not skill lag.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Eniav.9064

Eniav.9064

Skill lagg, makes the game completly unplayble during certain times of the day.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Silver.9084

Silver.9084

Skill lag without a doubt

Tux – [VoTF] Vengeance of The Fallen

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I barely have skill lag, culling occurs more frequently than skillag so for me culling is more annoying.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

lol which is worse? An enemy you cannot see or and enemy you might see sometimes but cannot do a thing against them.

Skill lag of course in this case, Even if I cannot see an enemy I would still like to be able to swing a sword in their general direction; or in my case spam aoe everywhere.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Cyril.1486

Cyril.1486

Skill lag all day long, i dont even care about culling anymore. The delay in EU tier 1 is getting out of hand.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

bad disigned flood protection + lag?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

It’s not worse or better, it’s different.
- Culling is more boring since it’s always and often get your whole raid killed
- Skill lag is less often, so less often annoying, but it’s even more frustrating …

Choose between less boring but always or more boring and less often …

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

Thing I love about skill lag is how it works. I can spam auto attack, but my heal won’t fire…. as an example.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Skill Lag. Culling I can random click everything to try to hit something. Skill Lag I just need to lie there waiting to my death.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Skill lag may make me rage quit. Culling never did.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I never have skill lag, maybe sometimes in a 3-way battle for Stonemist, but it’s usually only temporary, happening in small spikes even there.

Culling is definitely worse.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Xoranium.6481

Thanks for your answer’s folks.

Given the feedback, I am quite surprised that Anet has chosen to address Culling rather than skill lag in the coming patch, given that skill lag has been around as long as the effects of culling (although culling has had much more “Lime Light”).

Lessons Learned would be to “Ask the gamer’s” so a priority of improvements for the community can be established, ensuring problems that are most likely to affect both Anet & their customer’s (you) are dealt with in the correct order.

A simple poll from the Devs on the forums would go along way with us and give them the data to build a priority matrix for the teams working on improvements. Driven by the community!

Thanks again :P

Xor

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Given the feedback, I am quite surprised that Anet has chosen to address Culling rather than skill lag in the coming patch, given that skill lag has been around as long as the effects of culling (although culling has had much more “Lime Light”).

Culling has been a major complaint. Skill lag hasn’t really been a community-wide complaint until recently. They didn’t have to take a poll, people were volunteering the data. We don’t know that skill lag will not also be addressed. We don’t know what systems they are working on or what their priorities currently are, other than what they’ve stated. Incidental skill lag can be local to the user and not at their end at all. They certainly started working on culling months ago. They may have started working on skill lag as soon as it was reported and depending on the fix it may not be done for a while.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Culling.

In T3-4 I’ve only experienced skill lag 2-3 times ever.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

Oh, and culling. Yesterday was the first time I ever experienced skill lag.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

The post I had in the other thread:

I should clarify here again that the culling fix will have minimal impact on skill lag. Skill lag happens because the server too busy to process everything that’s happening (e.g. it’s at 100% CPU). The removal of culling addresses issues experienced by the client but those changes don’t really impact the skill lag situation. They are fundamentally different problems that will need different solutions.

Skill lag is a much more crippling issue than culling. A complete inability to even use our skills and the accompanied rubber-banding makes for a much worse experience than not being able to see everyone.

Especially since you guys continue to promote the zerg mentality with every change you make in the game. Latest news to support zerging: All kills/captures/etc. give the same amount of World XP regardless of how many people were involved.

The correct way to give out World XP would be some kind of curve which benefits smaller groups and punishes people for zerging in 50+ blobs. Stonemist and Keep takes can continue to work on the old principle, then you do not punish people for using large numbers to take such objectives.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Xoranium.6481

Culling has been a major complaint. Skill lag hasn’t really been a community-wide complaint until recently. They didn’t have to take a poll, people were volunteering the data. We don’t know that skill lag will not also be addressed. We don’t know what systems they are working on or what their priorities currently are, other than what they’ve stated. Incidental skill lag can be local to the user and not at their end at all. They certainly started working on culling months ago. They may have started working on skill lag as soon as it was reported and depending on the fix it may not be done for a while.

Thanks JaironKalach,

Yeah it does seem Skill Lag has only recently come within the radar, which surprises me tbh since I definitely experienced this before culling. Having said that, at first I assumed it was only me and it was my connecting lagging out. I dunno

Either way I know Anet will work hard to get it sorted out, however I do think Anet could do a lot more regarding data gathering from the community, there may be benefits from “listening” (he who shouts the loudest) but “seeking” (making a concerted effort to acquire wide spectrum of data) builds a much stronger 2-way relationship between both customer & supplier.

Xor

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Esprit Dumort.3109

Esprit Dumort.3109

Skill lag is not as prevalent as culling, imo. I’ve only noticed skill lag during huge concentration of players, such as SMC battles and Keep battles. Large 60 man skirmishes in a field I have not seen lag.

Jessamine [SNOW]
Gandara

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

The crippling skill lag where you will try to heal and can’t has just recently started.

Something they did recently must have caused it. If it was the culling fix that broke skill activation then they need to abort the culling fix. Skill lag is much more detrimental to the game.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

Hi all,

In your humble opinions,
What affects your gameplay the most?

1. Culling
2. Skill Lag

Just interested in the community opinion since skill lag will not be fixed in the next patch.

Thx for your feedback

Xor

The way Anet designed their back end. Culling is a result of trying to reduce the server side strain which is where the skill lag comes into play when the servers can’t handle the load.

Expect skill lag to remain the same at best, but more than likely get worse with the update, since more bandwidth and upgraded servers aren’t able to resolve the current server side load issue.

-KNT- BG

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

Culling. Skill lag I only get in the largest of battles, and I usually just switch maps if it gets too rage-inducing. Culling is everywhere.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Culling was meant to be an answer to skill lag. In beta there was no culling and many EB fights were insanely laggy (7+ second delay on even auto-attack, enemies apparently standing idle for several seconds then huge spikes of movement+damage, etc.). At the time we were told culling was being implemented to solve this issue, the server hardware was supposedly so close to the bleeding edge that there wasn’t really room to improve in that area. The removal of culling will be interesting, to say the least.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: zidia.3675

zidia.3675

Culling will be fixed soon according to ANET. My prediction is that this will add more skill lag, which will then be fixed by ANET. So we will go from complaining about culling to complaining about skill lag.

Personally skill lag is far worse to me than culling. I can AoE the air to deal with culling, I can’t AoE at all with skill lag…

Greymuzzle/Zydia
Valor [RUN]
Kaineng

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.9645

Harbinger.9645

Culling will be fixed soon according to ANET. My prediction is that this will add more skill lag, which will then be fixed by ANET. So we will go from complaining about culling to complaining about skill lag.

Personally skill lag is far worse to me than culling. I can AoE the air to deal with culling, I can’t AoE at all with skill lag…

This, skill lag and culling go hand in hand…culling was actually a measure to prevent skill lag after all. I’m very interested in how them “fixing” culling affects how much skill lag we see. If skill lag doesn’t increase at all then all they need to do is pin point what is causing our current levels of sLag and fix it. My theory is that sLag is going to increase by a fair margin and cause a community outcry. How Anet plans to deal with this situation remains to be seen. Will we see a roll back on the culling fix if sLag is too great or will they use their now “culling free” data and quickly figure out what needs to be done to fix it? Very interesting times are ahead.

Cynaptix-Mesmer(80)
Member of Gamers With Jobs(GWJ)
From the Northern Shiver Peaks

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

skill lag very bad in EB. was attacking guild claiming lord, i casted my skill, it kinda blinking yet not finished, suddenly i was located elsewhere and we capped the tower..lol

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Skill lag.

I’d rather fight an invisible enemy then not being able to use a single ability and slowly die unable to do anything but sit their spamming an ability thats not going to work.

Culling vs Skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: BrockMcCleery.9562

BrockMcCleery.9562

They both need to happen a lot less often than they do.

I also don’t understand why skill lag, which was very rare, is suddenly so much more of a problem the past 3 weeks.