D/D Ele's the new Thief?!?1?2?/

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Eles are far more powerful than most of your Thieves you encounter.

But they’re more fun to fight against because despite not having a real chance, at least you get to fight and maneuver a little as opposed to being instant-gibbed.

Granted, playing an Ele well requires a bit of skill but I’d argue they are by far the strongest and most overpowered WvW profession.

They can engage and disengage any fight at will, are near impossible to catch and have immense survivability with constant healing and condition removal.

They are like a super mobile version of Guardians with less damage but more CC.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

They are like a super mobile version of Guardians with less defense, less access to stability, no retaliation or aegis, and less useful elites.

There, I fixed that for you. Less damage/more CC is entirely dependent on build choices and either profession can spec into them or not. Mobility is the balance for lack of innate defense.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Fotm.
Be happy that bad ele is free points where bad thief could still kill you if someone else had forced you to burn your cooldowns.

They´ll find another class soon enough.

On a side note, thief and d/d ele are “better” professions only in smallscale.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in WvW

Posted by: Runty Choir.4893

Runty Choir.4893

Most thief players wouldn’t be able to use a Ele as it requires waaaay more than 2 buttons!
But there is this…….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Alpha
Victrixx [xVx]

in WvW

Posted by: Toble.2968

Toble.2968

Thieves were nerfed; ele’s were buffed.

Jump on the bandwagon now!

Teal haired, Bifrost wearing, heal pooping, dot placing, noob.
| Epidemic
| Drenched

in WvW

Toble.2968

Fotm.
Be happy that bad ele is free points where bad thief could still kill you if someone else had forced you to burn your cooldowns.

They´ll find another class soon enough.

On a side note, thief and d/d ele are “better” professions only in smallscale.

Not necessarily. elementalists are amazing for wvw in general. Although it takes skill to switch weapons, when used correctly Ele’s can protect siege, kill siege, break zergs, heal, tank, dps, and cc all very proficiently.

Very versatile, while thief is just mainly killing people.

Also, I enjoy your name. Don’t know if it is related, but I collect old Dr. Strange comic books.

I’m a huge Marvel nerd.

| Epidemic
| Drenched

in WvW

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

Most thief players wouldn’t be able to use a Ele as it requires waaaay more than 2 buttons!
But there is thikittentp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Actually, it is quite easy to play a d/d elementalist. I would say it is easier to play than a s/d or even d/d thief.

You pretty much follow a set rotation like any other classes but here’s the kicker. You have 3 stun breaker and 1 of them is invulnerability (best stun breaker in the game). So, no matter how badly you kitten up, you can get out in plain sight.

Most of their attacks are 400-600 and aoe so it’s a lot easier to stay on top of your target vs 130 range on a thief.

Just like thief, GC d/d ele will insta gib you if you do not have a stun breaker.

Also, they can go outside a tower to fight w/o any recourse since they can just mist form thru the gate when down.

Both the thief and d/d ele are equally easy mode.

Actually, every class is easy to play. If you’re talking about a particular class’s performance in wvw or spvp, that’s a different story. Just because a class is underpowered, it doesn’t mean it is harder to play.

/signed

80 D/D ele and 80 S/D thief

(edited by skupuz.6940)

in WvW

Posted by: Huggyos.9584

Huggyos.9584

You’ve entered this thread believing this is a complain thread. But be amazed it isn’t!!!

Sooooo I’ve noticed a huge decrease in thieves in the past 2 weeks and a new surge of D/D bunker Ele’s, and I’m wondering if this is happening to any other Tiers.

TBH I’m quite happy with this change, fighting a enemy using the same old skill rotation that can be dodged with ease is great. I’ll take a skill-less copy/paste D/D Ele over a equally bad thief any day. ^.^

Nice new whining topic, we need it definitely!
Thieves are far worst than eles. Thieves instant kill and execute quite all classes from perma stealth, and cant do anything. They easily fight in 1v3 also and they win. I see a lot more OP thieves than D/D eles in T1, and didn’t see any change. Thats my experience.

We will Desolate!

in WvW

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

They nerf the ele to the bare bones right before release then again a month later. They only recently buff them (a tiny bit).

in WvW

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

If the ele plays reeeeeally well, he may just kill you 1v1. Maybe.

if the thief can figure out where his keyboard is, he will probably kill you 1v1.

The real question is what are you doing by yourself?

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkus.2860

Pinkus.2860

Plays a Necromancer

Forever alone

Pinkus – Webmaster
First Light Gaming [DAWN] – PvX OCEANIC COMMUNITY – BLACKGATE
http://www.firstlightgaming.com

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Yes, there are certain D/D builds that are very OP at the moment, but without doubt their heals will be nerfed.

To the people that are saying this requires a significant amount of skill, you are either click casting or have little to no experience in PvP.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: sil.4160

sil.4160

I bet the ppl complaining are mostly thieves, because they couldn’t kill one instantly. d/d ele are not the new thieves because they can’t kill anyone quickly, they’re just harder to kill. Thieves can still kill ppl in 2 secs and still hard to kill

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

I bet the ppl complaining are mostly thieves, because they couldn’t kill one instantly. d/d ele are not the new thieves because they can’t kill anyone quickly, they’re just harder to kill. Thieves can still kill ppl in 2 secs and still hard to kill

Dunno thieves are easy to kill on my guardian and on my thief.

Ele’s, i dont have an isue with them on my s/d thief. One of the reasons i dont run d/d anymore is because of em.

On my guardian tho, vs ellies, its usually a stalemate if they are really good.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

in WvW

Posted by: Fellnine.6905

Fellnine.6905

Actually, it is quite easy to play a d/d elementalist. I would say it is easier to play than a s/d or even d/d thief.

You pretty much follow a set rotation like any other classes but here’s the kicker. You have 3 stun breaker and 1 of them is invulnerability (best stun breaker in the game). So, no matter how badly you kitten up, you can get out in plain sight.

Most of their attacks are 400-600 and aoe so it’s a lot easier to stay on top of your target vs 130 range on a thief.

Just like thief, GC d/d ele will insta gib you if you do not have a stun breaker.

Also, they can go outside a tower to fight w/o any recourse since they can just mist form thru the gate when down.

Both the thief and d/d ele are equally easy mode.

Actually, every class is easy to play. If you’re talking about a particular class’s performance in wvw or spvp, that’s a different story. Just because a class is underpowered, it doesn’t mean it is harder to play.

/signed

anybody can spec for dmg and spam 2 as a thief. or if you have half a brain f1 5 and 1 then spam 2. most bad players dont even get cantrips. i see more eles running 30 in fire and air with things like signet of air and arcane spells

glass cannon ele is also weaker than GC thief. Anet said theyre buffing ele dmg for a reason

in WvW

Posted by: Azaruil.3406

Azaruil.3406

I have to partially disagree with you at this point. While I agree that d/d ele is very mobile and can escape from most fights, I wouldn’t consider playing an ele easy, unlesss you play it badly.

I have come across many d/d eles that I have dueled on my own d/d ele and the differences are astounding. I’ve completely destroyed some and I’ve had tough balanced fights with others. The difference in skill I’ve seen has been quite great which reflected on the fight. Sure, an ele can simply stick to a rotation and make sure he gets “booned up”, but a good ele wont always follow a strict rotation. An ele has a good variety of skills to use and will use those skills according to how the fight is going and what is needed.

In my opinion, that is what makes playing an ele hard. Not just using some skill rotation, but having a good grasp on what attunement to use at what point, what skills to use at what point and having a good grasp on cooldowns that you cannot actually see on your screen.

Aza
“I smell like pomegranate.”

in WvW

Posted by: Fellnine.6905

Fellnine.6905

Yes, there are certain D/D builds that are very OP at the moment, but without doubt their heals will be nerfed.

To the people that are saying this requires a significant amount of skill, you are either click casting or have little to no experience in PvP.

yes and those builds have low dmg. they sacrifice that for being tough to kill or pin down

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well some ele skills are actually kind of hard to land 1vs1 situations. Feels like playing fps game without crosshair. Of course if you are in party you can get your own crosshair.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Atlas.6901

Atlas.6901

Sure, an ele can simply stick to a rotation and make sure he gets “booned up”, but a good ele wont always follow a strict rotation. An ele has a good variety of skills to use and will use those skills according to how the fight is going and what is needed. .

Yup. Definitely need to mix things up, count dodges, and time abilities against a solid player in 1v1. I jumped into WvW recently after getting bored of almost exclusive sPvP, and the bottom line is that most players do rely on very standard iWin rotations (on all classes) when they enter a 1v1. Too much mindless zerging perhaps? D/D ele is no different, unless it is well played. Thief damage rotations are much more mindlessly effective than D/D ele, though, because you can’t dodge something you cannot see (Steal + CnD).

Atlas Ele

in WvW

Posted by: patricide.1062

patricide.1062

That is the best video ever.

Support Guardian – D/D Ele
[Rawr] – HoD

in WvW

Posted by: Fraeg.9837

Fraeg.9837

while Thieves are still stupid silly, D/D Eles are super stupid silly, with chocolate sprinkles on top.

I fired up my old Ele from early release, bought some daggers and began tinkering with it (know thy enemy and all). A D/D ele is like a power necro on Crack and PCP.

If you want FOTM D/D ele is where it is at.

Wyverz – Asura – Mesmer
Xynobia – Asura – Necro
|Gnaw| |BB| |dO| |SOUL| – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: SilencingMachine.5049

SilencingMachine.5049

This is laughable! I play a D/D ele….and not the FOTM which is based LARGELY on the running thread by DaPhoenix in the elementalist forum on this site (ie. it tells EVERY drooling cheetoh crumb stained basement dweller exactly how to play the build).

I will say what everyone SHOULD know…EVERY class/spec can be beaten….it is just that people usually play the other cookie cutter specs and do not THINK to figure out how to beat the classes/specs that beat them consistently.

Wanna beat a D/D elem? Keep them immobilized. Keep them ranged. Thieves that jump in and out of stealth…short bow + heals on stealth…those are tough to beat. Necros to a D/D elem…LONG boring fight which a necro can win.

Things to look for….if you see a blazing trail of lightning coming at you…DODGE!…cause the next attack is a knockdown/back. After that, a cookie cutter D/D will likely go into fire….kite backwards….then they will switch to earth for another knockdown and a big slow cast AOE….dodge out of it.

Not so hard if you know what they are doing…..like ANY other class you come up against.

-Naturale
Huntsmen(HM) elem
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

thieves are far more overpowered than eles, and I can see them coming.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Ejiofor.4801

Ejiofor.4801

I like fighting D/D eles with my Engineer…

I like it when they rush forward to plow into my Static Shield, followed by a series of Static Shots…and a Prybar to the face… and a few Wrench Shots… and a Supply Crate on their Skull…

except when they get beat, they run away with their WTFFLYAWAYINVULNERABLEINVINCIBLEBBQIPWNDULULZ

…EVERY TIME…

Gearstrip Jones, Engineer, Borlis Pass, [KPUP]
“Which Lo Pan? Little ol’ basket case on wheels, or the ten-foot-tall roadblock?!”
-Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

in WvW

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

A bad D/D ele will usually die within 10s again most of the classes. But once you master your skills and learn to fight properly you are able to kill almost anything.
Of course, unless that ‘anything’ uses immobilize on you. :P

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

I dont see the point of this thread. Sure a bunker DD ele has high mobility and high survivability. But thats it.

1. Mobility: Nothing special here. Other professions got it too. Warriors traited in GS + Sword/WH have 3 gap closers + perma swiftness. Thieves are extremely mobile too. DD Ele has RTL. Get used to it.

2. Survivability: Bunker DD ele is 100% specced for defence and sacrificies damage for it. Its a trait off. Bunker DD eles deal mediocre damage. They are traited 30/30 in water/arcana which are defensive trait lines (no damage). They put on full PVT/clerics (again no damage despite power). And they generally use 3 cantrips as utilities (again no damage).

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

They are not the new Thief because Thieves are hated, and QQd about because of their instagibs while being completely invisible.

I am convinced d/d ele will get nerfed. They just do everything, and they do it all good. Control, support and damage all rolled into one neat package, the epitome of versatility.
A few necro builds and shatter mesmer hardcounter the d/d ele.

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

D/D ele isn’t that hard to beat if you know the skills they have. Just immobilize and try and keep them snared at a distance. The immobilize and snare keeps them from using their charge attacks(fire/air) effectively to close gaps. Keeping them at range keeps them from unloading their DPS. For any class with a few ranged control abilities(snare, immobilize, daze, etc) the hardest part of dealing with D/D is the mist form if they slot it, just try to stack up conditions before they use it since it doesn’t make them invuln to pre-existing conditions.

in WvW

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

/signed

Lol no pattern here…. <_<

in WvW

Toble.2968

They nerf the ele to the bare bones right before release then again a month later. They only recently buff them (a tiny bit).

I play both classes.

There is only 1 thief who has ever beaten me on my ele and it was most certainly through a poor mistake of my own.

On my thief, it really is a toss up of what build the other player has (as plates really) and where we are.

I can say with certainty that a well played ele is MUCH more powerful than a well played thief, whereas a poorly played thief is much more powerful than a poorly played ele.

| Epidemic
| Drenched

in WvW

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Unlike thieves, D/D eles require skill and thinking to play, I rather be killed by a D/D ele than by a 1111511115 p/d thief

in WvW

Posted by: Amshaa.7492

Amshaa.7492

I can say with certainty that a well played ele is MUCH more powerful than a well played thief, whereas a poorly played thief is much more powerful than a poorly played ele.

This.

And goes the same about mobility.

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

D/D ele is easy to play, although honestly they take forever to kill someone if they have some built in resistance >.>
That is unless of course you are playing glass cannon elementalist.

Sure it takes a lot of skill to play a D/D ele to its highest capabilities but it doesn’t take all that much to play them competently once you got the mechanics of the skill down.

Want to know whats hard and takes a lot of skills to play?
Necromancers >=/

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

(edited by LieutenantGoogle.7326)

in WvW

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

d/d ele wouldn’t be so strong if the builds ability to sustain during combat wasn’t so high, in my opinion anyway.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in WvW

Posted by: makku.2508

makku.2508

How can anyone seriously say Thief and D/D Ele are equally easy to play?

Yea, D/D Ele (when played right; do you yourself a favor and immediately forget about skill rotations and stuff) is pretty powerful and versatile. You have a lot of engage, disengage, sustain, defense and offense. It’s kinda like a Jack-of-all-Traits that isn’t just average in each category, but more like pretty good in each category. But in order to do so, you have to fully understand and carefully micromanage a set of 20 weapon skills.

Thieves? They can get away with as little as spamming 1 (one) button and using one of their numerous get-out-of-jail cards whenever their one-button-spam does not result in an instant kill.

There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Unlike thieves, D/D eles require skill and thinking to play, I rather be killed by a D/D ele than by a 1111511115 p/d thief

FooOooo quaggan no like you. Quaggan will find you and quaggan will 1111511115 till you die!

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in WvW

Posted by: Silverkung.9127

Silverkung.9127

FooOooo quaggan no like you. Quaggan will find you and quaggan will 1111511115 till you die!

LOL look like this class can have 1arm 2finger to play.
And look Elm they swap elm skill and ulit like he/she have 12fingers?

BTW I love quagggggg.gg…..gan ~

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I like d/d s/d eles. they look more like ninjas than thieves do and are way more fun to fight against

The usual fights against thieves go like this:
- Thief randomly pops up and tries to kill me
- Fast response to block/dodge everything he throws at me
- Do some damage back.
- Thief stealths, sometimes being immobilized in the process (a lot of them stealth at a certain HP, so I try to stun/immobilize when that happens)
- Do more massive damage on location hoping the thief is downed
- No, but thief is almost dead seeing him run away in the distance
- I turn around to go back on route because imo the battle is over, he chickened out.
- 10 seconds later thief is back, pops out of stealth again
- I keep running, dodging everything hoping he will give up
- 10 seconds later: Now im like “fkin musquito gtfo” and I turn around to fight him
- Here I either die, kill him or run away succesfully (if he runs off again, which they often do)

So in my point of view, thieves are kinda like chicken classes (I use another word than chicken, but that word will be filtered out… I think you can guess what it is, it starts with a P). It’s basically: Do some dmg, “ohnooo i get hurt a bit”, run away, “ohohoho he cant see me, I run back”, do more dmg, “can’t win” run away again.

^ Not a rant in case someone decides to nerd rage on me. I won’t care.

Eles are just more fun to fight against (and with in my opinion)

Just my 2 cents.

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

in WvW

Posted by: Goblin.1586

Goblin.1586

To kill a D/D ele, all you ever really need is to roll necro.

What I did.

in WvW

Posted by: Thanos.2970

Thanos.2970

To kill a D/D ele, all you ever really need is to roll necro.

What I did.

The vids in your signature and your post history tell a different story:
http://youtu.be/9B_UwEB9EtI
http://youtu.be/QPyfRqW9IYY

For me this is the definition of overpowered.

If you think that this is just based on your playerskill, could you post a vid of your necro doing anything even remotly compareable?

in WvW

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Yeah its actually fun to fight d/d elementalists because you can see they actually need to try to survive (between attunement swapping and cantrips)
So im pretty glad they are replacing thieves :P

in WvW

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

The only time I see a D/D ele is when they’re lightning flashing away from me cause I just str8 ripped them.

in WvW

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

I have to partially disagree with you at this point. While I agree that d/d ele is very mobile and can escape from most fights, I wouldn’t consider playing an ele easy, unlesss you play it badly.

I have come across many d/d eles that I have dueled on my own d/d ele and the differences are astounding. I’ve completely destroyed some and I’ve had tough balanced fights with others. The difference in skill I’ve seen has been quite great which reflected on the fight. Sure, an ele can simply stick to a rotation and make sure he gets “booned up”, but a good ele wont always follow a strict rotation. An ele has a good variety of skills to use and will use those skills according to how the fight is going and what is needed.

In my opinion, that is what makes playing an ele hard. Not just using some skill rotation, but having a good grasp on what attunement to use at what point, what skills to use at what point and having a good grasp on cooldowns that you cannot actually see on your screen.

When I said set rotation, I mean rotation like these.

RTL—→updraft
BS——>ROF/DB
MS—→EQ
Water to heal

When to use them is up to the player. Nonetheless, a set rotation like any other (e.g. 100B+WA).

in WvW

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

This is laughable! I play a D/D ele….and not the FOTM which is based LARGELY on the running thread by DaPhoenix in the elementalist forum on this site (ie. it tells EVERY drooling cheetoh crumb stained basement dweller exactly how to play the build).

I will say what everyone SHOULD know…EVERY class/spec can be beaten….it is just that people usually play the other cookie cutter specs and do not THINK to figure out how to beat the classes/specs that beat them consistently.

Wanna beat a D/D elem? Keep them immobilized. Keep them ranged. Thieves that jump in and out of stealth…short bow + heals on stealth…those are tough to beat. Necros to a D/D elem…LONG boring fight which a necro can win.

Things to look for….if you see a blazing trail of lightning coming at you…DODGE!…cause the next attack is a knockdown/back. After that, a cookie cutter D/D will likely go into fire….kite backwards….then they will switch to earth for another knockdown and a big slow cast AOE….dodge out of it.

Not so hard if you know what they are doing…..like ANY other class you come up against.

Sorry but you can’t immobilize my D/D ele.

Rune of Melundru + 20 in earth + food = 90% reduction in cripple and immob0lize + 60% reduction to other conidtions. Good luck trying to pin me down. Guardian’s chain of light only last .2 sec lol. I run around engi’s net turrent w/o stopping.

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Huh? At least in EU top tier thieves are still everywhere. The more Eles the better.

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

I’d rather fight a thief than a D/D ele any day, most thieves are full glass and terrible so it’s a free kill.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

in WvW

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Ele has a high skill ceiling, and so eles that are skilled are harder to beat than some other classes. This is how the class is supposed to work.

Eles that are unskilled are facepalm bad and not at all as dangerous as unskilled thiefs.

Yeah, D/D eles are a little more common now than they were. That will change as other classes become more popular. There’s nothing that really needs to be done, the next class that comes out with a decent build guide will become the next flavor of the month.

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

When I said set rotation, I mean rotation like these.

RTL—->updraft
BS——>ROF/DB
MS—->EQ
Water to heal

When to use them is up to the player. Nonetheless, a set rotation like any other (e.g. 100B+WA).

this whole “rotation” takes ~8s and is repeatable after 45s due to high cooldowns on updraft and earthquake. whats next?

in WvW

Posted by: Sam.4728

Sam.4728

IMO, the main reason D/D elementalists seem so overpowered is because there was a good guide posted in our forums. If other classes had such a well explained breakdown of how best to play their class in WvW, they would be doing a lot better as well.

That said, I play D/D elementalist, so I admit I’m biased.

in WvW

Posted by: Ray.2640

Ray.2640

I urge you all to either play an ele or practice against them with a friend or something.
Its actually quite easy to beat a d/d ele but you do need to know how to counter them.
If a warrior hits his fury+100b combo something will die. People learned to dodge it, avoid being bursted, and now look who’s still qqing about them; bad players only.
Same will happen with d/d ele, and maybe even with thiefs once (if) they fix culling.