[Fort Aspenwood]-[Maguuma]-[Dragonbrand] 10/26

in WvW

Posted by: Bit.2519

Bit.2519

Last night was insanely fun, hope tonight brings more of the same. Keep up the fighting everyone!

Commander Lady Sayrah-Fort Aspenwood [PRO]
http://www.twitch.tv/bitcloud1 http://www.youtube.com/JetstormTV

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Well if you want to assume I’m specifically talking about 100g icons Beset have at it, I was trying to be broad but you guys take offense even when people are basically saying the same thing as you are in a thread. This is the second time in a thread I’ve tried to put the responsibility on the rest of us on the server but the circle jerk wants to think everyone’s against them.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: wombat.6123

wombat.6123

Yes, they had a zerg going, but the small roaming groups that killed me multiple times really messed with us.

The reason you probably encountered a lot of small FA groups last night in the Mag BL was because we split our forces into two main groups — UK guild taking the west side, PRO guild on the east side. We also had small teams break off to retake supply camps whenever they changed colour.

This worked pretty well, although ironically when we eventually merged together to take your last tower, Dawns Eyrie, we got beaten badly. Mag’s defence of DE was so good we couldn’t take it. We had to eventually attack Spiritholme to get your defenders fighting there (we then quickly snuck back to DE and gate crashed while Mag was busy retaking Spiritholme). When we finally broke in we were amazed by how much siege you guys had setup inside DE.

PS: FA seems to have a bunch of bots farming the SW corner of the lake in Maguuma BL. We’ve pulled kraits to wipe them but they keep coming back. Feel free to farm/kill them!

Wombling Wombat
FA – Protectorate of Aspenwood [PRO]

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

How is this fun? 1000 vs 10 people every night. Yay. Only 5 more days of this trash.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: ActionCat.4162

ActionCat.4162

Tonight we retook DB borderlands garrison, and we caught FA using exploits to move the garrison lord to another spot which was behind another gate.

I know we all want to win and have a good match up, but if you want to resort to exploits you need to stop playing, only cowards use such things to advance themselves. Shall we keep it classy FA?

Why must people do things like that? Ive never understood why someone can find it ok to cheat or exploit. So lame…

Commander ActionCat [BMO] – DragonBrand

in WvW

Posted by: Bit.2519

Bit.2519

Tonight we retook DB borderlands garrison, and we caught FA using exploits to move the garrison lord to another spot which was behind another gate.

I know we all want to win and have a good match up, but if you want to resort to exploits you need to stop playing, only cowards use such things to advance themselves. Shall we keep it classy FA?

Why must people do things like that? Ive never understood why someone can find it ok to cheat or exploit. So lame…

An exploit to move the lord? Not only does that sound impossible, he runs around and attacks stuff randomly, but I would never have anyone “exploit a lord” or use any other kinds of tactics as such, nor would ibludgeon. Above post confuses me.

Commander Lady Sayrah-Fort Aspenwood [PRO]
http://www.twitch.tv/bitcloud1 http://www.youtube.com/JetstormTV

in WvW

Posted by: saiyr.3071

saiyr.3071

Yes, let’s not dive into this. We all know people cheat and we all know it’s not the entire server’s fault. Move along, this is the stuff that gets threads locked.

[DERP] Saiyr, “bff” of Sgt Killjoy

in WvW

Posted by: Badwrong.3596

Badwrong.3596

How is this fun? 1000 vs 10 people every night. Yay. Only 5 more days of this trash.

Its not fun. I’m on FA and when we outnumber, its kitten

Last week we got outnumbered even worse than you guys are by us. I actually moved down a tier last week and played with you guys on Maguuma. Had lots of fun.

That’s not to say this weekend didnt have some decent battles. But around the clock it varies to much, sometimes I login and we own almost everything and all of maguuma is sitting in a single keep or something holding it. Thats not fun either, its boring to only siege a single spot. I like having many battles around the map and what not.

in WvW

Posted by: Reiven.2543

Reiven.2543

For a while actually it was pretty tight in terms of caps. Maguuma and Dragonbrand are stubborn and props up for them for fighting for sure. Unfortunately the servers will prob never be “equal” in populations even after server transfers stop as there will always be quite a large amount of players who stop playing after the first day after they see we are losing etc etc.

On the other hand just 5 manned an empty Keep half expecting a hotdrop any second.
Shoutouts to the Guardian and Engi who joined us and the ele who kindly dropped flame rams for us.

Fort Aspenwood GW1 Bittervet….
Reiven Kloak-Warrior / Pizza Pirate-Engineer
Charr Grilled Fish-Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Kiado.9362

Kiado.9362

I feel like Mag dropped the ball a little this week in terms of leadership not simply with victories, but with losses. We’re usually better at both, especially encouraging people after a lost fight, but this week there just doesn’t seem to be any follow up with either a victory or loss. Part of that is definitely on the population, as there are people and guilds who have provided leadership and tools to coordinate but neither is heavily capitalized on. I do however see a slowly growing core of guilds and individuals and I’ve seen some people from being new players to w3 to becoming solid group members so that’s still promising.

I’m sorry but its hard for me to stomach some of the things that are being said here and in team chat. We have alot of commanders out of commission this week due to personal issues. I was the sole commander in Maguuma Borderlands over Saturday and Sunday. I had 4 hours sleep over the weekend and we held our garrison for over 36 hours against an onslaught from PTX and ULTD. Those guys are seriously big and seriously good and they eventually took it.

It fell in the end because I was burnt out and getting a serious bout of tunnel vision. Theres nobody in North American timezone to hand the baton to. You do anything for 16 hours straight and you get tunnel vision. The strategic decisions leading up to the fall of the garrison were my fault and I do not blame any of the players who trusted me to do the right thing. I still have alot left to learn.

Despite this, over the weekend, Mag BL has been mostly blue. It has been consistently the only borderland with any blue dots for more than 2 hours. It is the only borderland that has hit a queue since the reset. I’ll keep doing this as long as I can but the only thing I ask is that you do not trash talk any of the commanders in public. Not Tzarasi, not Rocode, not Jerkjerk or Oprey or any of the other guys who put in the time to get us this far. That is the only thing I ask.

Thank you.

You guys kittening rock, don’t listen to any haters. Any of us that have spent any time with any the commanders you listed know what’s up. Even the best commanders can’t win every battle. You guys have won my heart though? Does that not count? For real, keep up the good fight, we will follow you.

Lujan Storm – Maguuma
The Pangolins Den [PANG]

in WvW

Posted by: FireRunner.9481

FireRunner.9481

Fort Aspenwood is doing well this round because on the night of the restart we were already going hard against TC (who beat us). As soon as the restart happened (I was on Eternal) we rushed to get Stonemist. Once we got that it was pretty much over.

When GW2 launched FA was always full in WvW, then the activity really dropped to where there was no queue. Now, it seems back to were there’s plenty of activity. We have several good groups and commanders.

80 Asura Ranger – Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

That video of the stacking made me sad. I don’t at all blame maguuma or anyone else for using it: it’s absurdly effective and you play to the way the game is currently designed, not how you think it should be designed at a later date. And everyone pretty much uses these stacks.

It’s just that it pains me to see the pinnacle of wuvwuv organized group tactics be something so utterly mindless that the AI bot farmers in frostgorge can pull it off.

Clumping up like noobs and standing stationary in one spot should never, ever, be even a remotely viable strategy in a competitive realm v realm game. Here it is one of the most effective. Yes yes, it has counters, but deploying those counters is harder than forming the stack in the first place.

It all hinges around how almost all aoe damage abilities are capped at 5, while protective area buffs and heals are not, a design decision I find rather questionable. Plus if you are in a stack and one guy goes down it’s trivially easy to rezz him before he is finished off.

That stack would have been instant suicide in DAOC or WAR. GW2 still has a long way to go, both in terms of creating matchups that are fun, and creating a good level of realm v realm organized large group combat with a rich and diverse set of tactics. Right now almost everything you see is just set up to abuse glaring deficiencies in game design or engine limitations.

in WvW

Posted by: Vrumpt.1072

Vrumpt.1072

I just had an epic dual with a Dragonbrand charr elementalist on top of the hill next to Anzalias Post tower in the eternal battlegrounds. I was a FA charr hammer warrior. We duked it out for over 5 minutes or so before he ran off and it effectively ended in a stalemate.

Whoever that charr elementalist was, thank you sir for an epic dual. It made my week.

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Personally, I think the stack is hilarious. The pinnacle of WvW organized group tactics?

Hardly.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: ActionCat.4162

ActionCat.4162

An exploit to move the lord? Not only does that sound impossible, he runs around and attacks stuff randomly, but I would never have anyone “exploit a lord” or use any other kinds of tactics as such, nor would ibludgeon. Above post confuses me.

I didnt know anything of it until last night, we got inside garrison and everyone started wondering.. were the hell was the keep lord at! All the npc’s were like gone in the main part of the garrison were they usually are.

Anyway its not the servers fault, you cant control individuals but I would suggest trying to keep people from doing such things, because it did happen. Not good for server integrity no matter how many or few you have. Hope you guys shun the hell out of those using exploits or hacks and reporting them. I know we do.

Commander ActionCat [BMO] – DragonBrand

in WvW

Posted by: Ninein.4782

Ninein.4782

Maguuma relies heavily on the stack because it’s the few things we can do when outnumbered. This game doesn’t have a viable zerg busting skill seen in DAOC. Having huge number=wins in this game. I find that it’s hard to kill anyone when outnumbered mainly because whoever you’re trying to kill can just roll behind their wall of players and heal right up without ever utilizing a heal skill.

To really kill someone in battle, you have to burst them down before they can get away and then to also push the line back so they don’t get rez. Impossible to do if you don’t have the numbers. Thus the stacking of players allowed the few to survive and makes the game enjoyable for us smaller servers.

Ninein
-Maguuma

in WvW

Vorpal.4683

Yep, the way downed players can be mass rezzed by the zerg basically means numbers wins, almost every time. You just don’t see stuff like you did in DAOC of an 8 man group flying in and dropping 40 people.

Like I said, I don’t blame you or anyone else for using the stack. I’m just disappointed it exists.

in WvW

Posted by: ViperWire.4261

ViperWire.4261

We are lacking players for so many reasons.

Every time I tried to lead EB this week we had outmanned buff. We did very well when I was on EB; but for example I go eat for less than 30minutes (we had Golanta/Klovan Pangloss/Ogrewatch and came back to a full green map except for our Keep. It’s a pretty kitten system to expect a commander to ALWAYS be present in each WvW map. (I think that issue is more WvW structural issue than a Maguuma issue)

I strongly enjoy commanding regardless of win/loss because only then can I see how awesome Maguuma is when we work together! But the responsibility of commanding calls anytime I sign online as I assume our other active commanders (Not the AFK LA commanders..) are receiving whispers too about how the WvW maps are doing and that they are needed to lead our people. The pressure of our server’s WvW success cannot be on only <6-8 people commanding. If we do the math, with 8 commanders, 4 maps; we would need each of those commanders on a schedule that permits 12 hours per session that does not overlap with their relieving commander (That is kitten, this is not paying my bills nor other commanders’ bills; so I see no way we can maintain that with so few)

I know for one that I personally in the past 2 months I’ve been neglecting my work in order to command and am now paying for it.

As for others, a lot of players want to do Halloween events, can’t blame them, Anet added Halloween events so they can enjoy them.

As for anyone who is not a commander, we could very much use your assistance in recruiting people to WvW, that are sitting in Lions Arch because they have low morale/no motivation to WvW.

Tldr; Our commanders need PTO just like everyone else, other players need to step up since in commander’s absence

Inb4 should not buy commander if not wanting to command 24/7, no single human will be available to command GW2 for 24/7 365

Invalid Password [EVOH] – Maguuma

in WvW

saiyr.3071

Yeah, don’t let it affect your work, that’s not a good thing. We definitely need more people to step up to command. It’s not just icons that we need, either. Even Mumble tends to fall apart without someone voicing direction. It’s bizarre how one moment everyone is talking and when the commander leaves, you could hear a pin drop. I think we’ll get there eventually, maybe sooner if people are trained for command and tactics. But yeah, can’t say enough how grateful I am for the (overly) hard work you guys put in.

in WvW

Posted by: DirtyApe.9360

DirtyApe.9360

Mag commanders (and pretty much everyone I’ve played with) rock, so keep on fighting the good fight as long as it is FUN. Really, there is no need for you to lose sleep or neglect work so that we can keep a pretend tower in some pretend world blue for another couple of hours.

Also, as more people get experience I think it will open up more, and the public mumble is a wonderful tool for community building as long as people keep it fun and civil (which it has been the few times I’ve popped in). As it is, I think people are afraid to lead because normally Mag is very much outnumbered, so odds are sooner or later you are going to run into a zerg and lose.

Also, don’t stress about losing keeps you’ve helped to take. Sometimes what happens is one side or other makes some progress in EB and then the overpopulated/winning server realizes what is happening, transfers over and rolls right over everyone again. I’ve poked my head into EB a few times in the past couple of days and often there is an enormous force of FA literally camping the exit to the spawn. Yes, there is a side exit, but it’s hard to get 15 people motivated to fight when there are 40 just waiting to pounce on them the moment they leave the keep.

Having Stonemist for some reason seems to be a key factor in bringing the casuals out of Lions Arch (reminds me of DAoC battlegrounds when your side took over the keep in the middle). I should know, the first time I ever went to WvW was when my side had SM, haha.

in WvW

Posted by: eCheese.8240

eCheese.8240

Ape, the crickets are exactly what I logged on to last night on mumble. There were like 40 in the Mag BL Channel (20 were afk). Nobody making any noise. I asked “is anyone leading on this BL?” and the response was “Nope.” So I started calling the shots.

Then we have 2 commanders log in but not on mumble. We used the pubbie zerg that followed them to assault Bay as a distraction to plow a catapult hole in East Keep. Unfortunately, the pubbies got rolled out of west in time for Aspies to show up at east and route us when we broke the inner wall.

Frankly that was my fault as we didnt scout the defense inside before making our move. Live and learn I guess.

The cool thing was that everyone in mumble instantly responded and fell in line when I started doing supply checks etc. I think leading just isnt for everyone, but when we do have a good leader on mumble, kitten gets done. I had fun, even though we didnt get the keep. Looking forward to more of the same.

Sur Phobos / Dr Quinn
Team X Gaming [TXG]
Maguuuuuma

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

…The pressure of our server’s WvW success cannot be on only <6-8 people commanding….

If these people weren’t so emotional and took a break from rubbing each other off they could read my posts again and see that’s about what I’m saying. When there’s action going on and stuff is being taken, there’s like twenty different people flooding chat with conflicting calls and it’s all good as long as we’re taking stuff. Once it starts going bad, many of those same people blame bad commanders or that we have none on the map or rage at all of the pubs, but almost none of them attempt to encourage people or build them back up and get things going after a loss or map wipe.

Last night in EB was the high point of the week for me. In a largely neglected map with mostly new players and pubs, I saw a small group of random people and guilds thrown together knocking out objectives without the usual raging and for most of that stretch there were no commanders around. Afterwards, when the FA zergs took things back one by one, none of the usual drama reared it’s head, they all felt it was worth the run to pull another servers attention their way. That’s the Maguuma worth sticking with or transferring to.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: xxxzavulonxxx.8413

xxxzavulonxxx.8413

…The pressure of our server’s WvW success cannot be on only <6-8 people commanding….

If these people weren’t so emotional and took a break from rubbing each other off they could read my posts again and see that’s about what I’m saying. When there’s action going on and stuff is being taken, there’s like twenty different people flooding chat with conflicting calls and it’s all good as long as we’re taking stuff. Once it starts going bad, many of those same people blame bad commanders or that we have none on the map or rage at all of the pubs, but almost none of them attempt to encourage people or build them back up and get things going after a loss or map wipe.

Last night in EB was the high point of the week for me. In a largely neglected map with mostly new players and pubs, I saw a small group of random people and guilds thrown together knocking out objectives without the usual raging and for most of that stretch there were no commanders around. Afterwards, when the FA zergs took things back one by one, none of the usual drama reared it’s head, they all felt it was worth the run to pull another servers attention their way. That’s the Maguuma worth sticking with or transferring to.

+1

I would also say that the usual commanders and people in public mumble who spam advertisements need to take accounting classes….

They’ll run around taking objectives, and those objectives are taken back by FA within an hour usually. So, yeah, you may be getting some points for the server. But by never defending anything, you are freerolling server points to FA too…

[SU]

in WvW

Posted by: Vytality.3195

Vytality.3195

FA, HOPE here. We (as a guild) had more fun last match when TC was owning us than this match. Last night we just went to the jumping puzzle because there was very little left to do. WvW needs major fixing. Hopefully, the 7 day xfers will be a good start.

Vytality- Guardian
Vyt Mindbender- Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood since BWE 3. Spirit of Faith (HOPE)

in WvW

saiyr.3071

+1

I would also say that the usual commanders and people in public mumble who spam advertisements need to take accounting classes….

They’ll run around taking objectives, and those objectives are taken back by FA within an hour usually. So, yeah, you may be getting some points for the server. But by never defending anything, you are freerolling server points to FA too…

If you really think this then I strongly recommend you step up on the Mumble and take a shot at leading. Defending things is not an easy task when facing a large Aspenwood zerg with small groups cutting off supply and only half of the people following whoever’s in command. If you can change that circumstance, everyone on Maguuma wins. I don’t think it’s as easy as you think, though.

in WvW

Ninein.4782

It’s hard to lead in WvW on smaller servers. Mainly due to spying. There’s no way around spying and it’s vastly disadvantageous to the smaller group that’s tryign to outmaneuver the larger zerg.

Some times you’re having a bad a day where everything you’re doing to outmaneuver the zerg is being countered and you can’t figure out why. Some times you’re just being snooped on and no magical tactics will overcome that short of stacking and pissing them off every chance you get.

Ninein
-Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I tell the people (MAG) in EB (pugs) to only attack green (FA) when green’s number’s finally go down (1-2 hours a day). It makes no sense to attack red (DB) when they are online. For 1, you’ll end up fighting in their prime time, and 2, you make it easier for green to make a comeback. You can guarantee a massive zerg if they hear about SM being under attack.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

Vorpal.4683

That stack would have been instant suicide in DAOC or WAR. GW2 still has a long way to go, both in terms of creating matchups that are fun, and creating a good level of realm v realm organized large group combat with a rich and diverse set of tactics. Right now almost everything you see is just set up to abuse glaring deficiencies in game design or engine limitations.

WAR was kitten. You do not want GW2 to be WAR… Actually WAR had the exact opposite issue. All AoE hit everybody for ridiculous amounts. If there were 5 or more bright wizard/sorceress’ together, and they slapped their PBAoE on the same location, you’d be insta-gibbed and there was kitten all you could do about it.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you people don’t want to be insta-gibbed out there.

in WvW

Posted by: Yougottawanna.7420

Yougottawanna.7420

Speaking as a Fort Aspenwood player, I wish we had a public mumble, though maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

As for the Maguuma stacking, I’m kind of impressed that they can actually get people to do it (it’s not just guild groups), but I’m not sure how effective it is. There were fights where Maguuma had equal numbers to us and I think they could have done better if they’d just fought us normally.

You are good at portalbombing siege though. Just keep showing up on at least one map, and screw the score.

(edited by Yougottawanna.7420)

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

Just keep showing up on at least one map, and screw the score.

That’s pretty much Mag’s motto.

in WvW

Vorpal.4683

I kind of feel like if your entire zerg stacks up in one spot and nobody notices or deals with incoming pbaoe enemies, you deserve to be wiped quickly.

That said, that wouldn’t work at all with GW2’s current culling issues, which makes enemies virtually invisible until the fight is already decided.

I don’t know how GW2’s realm v realm engine is less good than DAOC’s or WAR’s.

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

I kind of feel like if your entire zerg stacks up in one spot and nobody notices or deals with incoming pbaoe enemies, you deserve to be wiped quickly.

That said, that wouldn’t work at all with GW2’s current culling issues, which makes enemies virtually invisible until the fight is already decided.

Culling doesn’t matter when you could pull every enemy within a 100 ft radius to a single location, stun every single one of them for 5 seconds, then kill them all long before those 5 seconds are up. Regardless of how many enemies there were. That’s how WAR was played. Whoever got the pull/stun off first, won. Speaking as a person who used that tactic pretty much exclusively, the design was absolutely kitten and I promise you do not want this game like that.

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Culling doesn’t matter when you could pull every enemy within a 100 ft radius to a single location, stun every single one of them for 5 seconds, then kill them all long before those 5 seconds are up. Regardless of how many enemies there were. That’s how WAR was played. Whoever got the pull/stun off first, won. Speaking as a person who used that tactic pretty much exclusively, the design was absolutely kitten and I promise you do not want this game like that.

I’ve been daydreaming of 1 Guardian followed by a train of Earthshaking hammer warriors squishing an infinite number of people for several minutes now.

If I could create my own instance of the game, I’d make this change to see this at least once before I die.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Vorpal.4683

Just curious, were those abilities on new classes? I quit before they really got the slayer/choppa released and I heard afterwards that they were pretty absurd. I also don’t think I recall 5s aoe stuns though there was a 3s one.

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

Whatever the bright wizard stun lasted for. I don’t remember the exact time. I just know it was long enough to gib everybody I ever encountered when I was rolling with other bright wizards.

in WvW

Posted by: eCheese.8240

eCheese.8240

People talk about stack fighting as though it is some sort of deplorable tactic… It takes a lot of coordination to move your stack all at once, etc. If you could kite a stack, you would stand a good chance of stringing them out enough that they couldn’t get the benefits of stacking.

Stacks are not terribly mobile unless they are VERY well coordinated, use that to your advantage.

Sur Phobos / Dr Quinn
Team X Gaming [TXG]
Maguuuuuma

in WvW

Posted by: Kiado.9362

Kiado.9362

I like stacking just because I like being really really close to my commanders.

It’s a tactic that has been employed in other games, so it’s not a new thing. Notice the majesty of how Maguuma does it though. As mentioned before, this isn’t one guild doing this, its whomever is in the fight. This is a coordinated purposeful action, with reason and intention, not a “this is the only way to survive” tactic. Some of our commanders are extremely effective using them for siege destruction, and morale busting.

I know a few of your guys at least have been “Holy kitten, there are ton of Mags right in the middle of us all the sudden!”

They are beatable though. Just not when we are doing it.

Lujan Storm – Maguuma
The Pangolins Den [PANG]

in WvW

wombat.6123

The first time I saw Maguuma doing a stack I thought it was a bunch of bots attacking us. It was pretty funny because it was basically a big ball of players standing still and spamming auto-attacks while waiting to be killed.

I’m still not convinced of it’s effectiveness as every time I’ve come up against a stack they’ve been wiped without a lot of danger to the attackers. Once, inside FA garrison, Maguuma got into the lord’s room and had superior numbers. We had maybe 10 defenders and Maguuma had at least 20 people, but instead of rolling through us they stacked into the middle of the room. After killing the lord they stacked in one spot and we just slowly wittled them down until they were all dead. It was really weird.

Wombling Wombat

(edited by wombat.6123)

in WvW

saiyr.3071

Yeah, stacking is a pretty defensive tactic. I think we overuse it sometimes because we don’t know how many people we’re facing due to culling.

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

The first time I saw Maguuma doing a stack I thought it was a bunch of bots attacking us. It was pretty funny because it was basically a big ball of players standing still and spamming auto-attacks while waiting to be killed.

I’m still not convinced of it’s effectiveness as every time I’ve come up against a stack they’ve been wiped without a lot of danger to the attackers. Once, inside FA garrison, Maguuma got into the lord’s room and had superior numbers. We had maybe 10 defenders and Maguuma had at least 20 people, but instead of rolling through us they stacked into the middle of the room. After killing the lord they stacked in one spot and we just slowly wittled them down until they were all dead. It was really weird.

Unless 10 of you had siege, you didn’t kill 20 players stacked. Your aoe hits 5 of them, they’d be healing 15 of their members in the same time frame. There’s a numbers issue somewhere in this post… And let’s be real here, FA never has 10 members anywhere ever. It’s always 20-30.

in WvW

Ninein.4782

No way Maguuma would stack 20 against 10. You’ll have to bring out screenshots. No way 10 can kill a stack unless you guys are running siege. Something else must be going on or culling is preventing you from seeing your own players.

Ninein
-Maguuma

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

Culling is the most logical reason. Happens on teammates just as much as enemies.

in WvW

saiyr.3071

It’s entirely possible if you forget to bring a guardian…may or may not have happened last night in Maguuma Borderlands west keep :P

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

I dunno, other jobs bring just as much healing to the table if they’re specced for it. A single necromancer for instance can heal 2-4k with a single ability every 34-40 seconds. That’s good chunk of ally healing right there.

People love them some guardians though I guess. But yeah, I’ve seen some stacks go terribly terribly wrong lol.

in WvW

wombat.6123

Unless 10 of you had siege, you didn’t kill 20 players stacked. Your aoe hits 5 of them, they’d be healing 15 of their members in the same time frame. There’s a numbers issue somewhere in this post… And let’s be real here, FA never has 10 members anywhere ever. It’s always 20-30.

Try playing during Oceanic hours (my normal time). This week we’ve often had less than 10 people fighting Dragonbrand and Maguuma in borderland maps. FA often has less points than DB and Maguuma during Oceanic for a reason.

Regarding turtling with 20 vs 10:
Just four elementalists auto-attacking with fireballs will be hitting up to 5 people at once (1/4 of the people in a 20 person stack) for about 10k damage every 2 seconds. That alone is about 4 – 8 seconds before 25% of the players in the stack are downed. Doesn’t even include the other 6 defenders attacking or staggered meteor storms.

Really, 20 people in a stack have no chance against 10 players doing AoE attacks simply because the stack is perfectly placed for AoE, while the stack itself has to try hitting players who are spread out and who just move in and out of range at will.

The simple fact is I’ve run into about 10 maguuma stacks and each time we’ve wiped them because we just auto-attack with fireballs and AoE from 1200 range until they are down. The stacks I’ve fought have been in Garrison, Pangloss (multiple times), Arahs Hope, and Godsword (a few times). Anyone who goes down on our side we just revive because the Maguuma stack is sitting in a ball and not moving to finish anyone.

Turtling works if you have like 40 players stacked and healing and the aoe is only hitting about 10% of the players, but if your stack is only 20 people and 1/4 of you are taking aoe damage every second it’s quite easy to defeat.

Wombling Wombat

(edited by wombat.6123)

in WvW

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

I was there when the Maguuma stack tried to take garrison in FABL earlier today. It was funny to see the dead bodies of those invaders bunched up together.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in WvW

Rhyis.7058

A single aoe heal for 1k heals for a total of 15k across your teammates. That’s 1 ability from 1 person. Just to throw some numbers out there for you.

And you can finish anybody from range assuming the stack is focus firing. It’s a hell of a lot easier to kill a single person receiving healing from only themselves then somebody getting healed by 19 other players. If the stack isn’t focus firing downed enemies, then yeah, it’s probably going to fail. If the stack is also full of a bunch of 3-5 signet players or walking around with only melee weapons, then they are also equally useless in said stack and are there simply as somebody to soak up some damage… Which can be absolutely detrimental if a large percentage of your stack is there as only a damage soak.

I guess I’m saying you should all go necro and slap out upwards of 40k team heals in the span of a few seconds.

(edited by Rhyis.7058)

in WvW

Posted by: martillos.3790

martillos.3790

Props to mag in pag cave that was a fun fight you guys had ton of siege.I had to get on my mesmer and had my guild port in and end that fiasco.You guys got alot of kills in the meantime though

in WvW

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

wombat, you must be facing very small stacks because the ones I have been a part of anyone who is in range of the stack who is downed is dead unless they are an elementalist or the stack itself is too loose.

Given you are Oceanic and our population at that time is very small I’ll assume you have never gone up against one of our bigger stacks. You do have a point that small numbers in a stack are useless and perhaps we as a server are getting into a bad habbit of relying on it too much in situations which don’t warrant it.

in WvW

wombat.6123

A single aoe heal for 1k heals for a total of 15k across your teammates. That’s 1 ability from 1 person. Just to throw some numbers out there for you.

Even if the stack has 10 people healing, that’s only 10 healers with long cooldowns on the heals. If a single aoe heal does 1k heal, and is on a long cooldown, I’m not sure how that helps people taking 10k damage every 2 seconds from multiple fireballs?

As shown by Maguuma’s dead turtle lying in garrison, your numbers don’t add up. Unless your turtle is very large (ie, you have vastly more people not being hit by AoE than are being hit by it) then you are going to lose. A 20 vs 10 turtle fight is a pretty easy win for the 10 people attacking the balled up group.

Wombling Wombat