Guarding the Puzzle is a winning stratergy, not greifing

in WvW

Posted by: McWaffle.1927

McWaffle.1927

“griefing the puzzle quest”

Greifing is ruining another players game experience just to ruin it. A greifer gets off knowing how mad you are and its a power trip in a sense. The puzzle quests awards your enemy up to siege weapons, FIVE. This are more then often gonnna be used against your team to deny you points and objectives. Why would we not sercure it? WHy would there be a truce? If we can hold it, have mesmers port team around it to fast track our siege supplies,kittenstraight we are gonna do it.

This is a MMO. I dont hear QQ that you cant solo the Castle. Guess what? You shouldnt expect to solo the puzzle quest. Get a group, man up, and go get 20-50 sieges with 10 people, then turn around and go lay waste to the enemy. Thats how it was suppose to be used.

in WvW

Posted by: TheAltarBoy.3176

TheAltarBoy.3176

I’ve been saying this since people complained about it.

Why would I willingly let enemies complete the jumping puzzles and get free siege blueprints?

If enemies are stupid enough to filter into the jumping puzzles 1-2 at a time like lambs to the slaughter that’s their own fault.

in WvW

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

Agree. The protection of the jumping puzzles is a viable tactic. As already stated, it gives badges of honor (used to purchase gear and siege equipment), siege blueprints, some gear, etc…. We are in a war. The point of war is not to die for your country, the point of war is to make the poor kitten on the other side of the field die for his country. Want bunnies? Stay in PvE.

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I think people are coming to the conclusion of beating the beast arena camping in the EB puzzle is to just server transfer to the winning server and let them give you a free pass now.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

in WvW

McWaffle.1927

“I think people are coming to the conclusion of beating to the beast arena camping in the EB puzzle is to just server transfer to the winning server and let them give you a free pass now.”

That is only effective because yuo enemy has 1 less Gerber Baby Scrub and you have 1 more, so it could net you up too 2 Gerber caliber scrubs for 24 hours. Transfers should disable WvW for you through entirety of round.

in WvW

Azure Prower.8701

“I think people are coming to the conclusion of beating to the beast arena camping in the EB puzzle is to just server transfer to the winning server and let them give you a free pass now.”

That is only effective because yuo enemy has 1 less Gerber Baby Scrub and you have 1 more, so it could net you up too 2 Gerber caliber scrubs for 24 hours. Transfers should disable WvW for you through entirety of round.

When there is no counter for an arrow cart that cannot be reached and has full coverage of the beast arena. Skill has nothing to do with it. Point and click is not skill.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: nefloyd.5689

nefloyd.5689

It’s not a winning strategy. You know why? Two scenarios.

1. Not everyone who wants to complete the puzzle is an active WWW participant. I go to Eternal, attempt to complete the puzzle, loot the chest, then leave. I do the same thing in Borderlands. If people are wasting their time camping in there, I just leave anyway. This means YOU are costing YOUR team a potential combatant (You could be helping the actual fight above) in order to deny someone who wasn’t going to fight anyway. I don’t really care about the blueprints, I’m just gathering badges from the chest to acquire the 500 badge legendary thingy (plus some orich to sell from Eternal)

2. Mutual destruction vs. Mutual gain. Instead of camping, your team could grab their blueprints and head back to the real fight. What happens when you get camped in return? It’s really a question of “should everyone gain blueprints faster” vs “should everyone gain blueprints slower”.

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I have no issues with folks camping the puzzle, its a PvP environment and as such it is fair game. However, the puzzle is mostly done by groups of 1-3, so when a guild brings 20 people and siege they are doing nothing more then zerging the puzzle knowing they are facing a much smaller group. It is going to happen, my server I am sure does it as well, but imo people that zerg the puzzle are hand holders that cant fart without the company of 20 server mates.

It is going to occur, props to those that do it with 3, lol at the zerglets that eventually get wiped by the group of 5.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Krazed.7458

Krazed.7458

I acknowledge that preventing enemy players from reaching the chest is a viable strategy in WvWvW.

You are still an kittenfor doing it.

in WvW

Posted by: Zoula.5139

Zoula.5139

Of course that takes 20 people off of taking keeps, defending supply etc. You should be proud that your attempt to do the jumping puzzle has helped your entire servers war effort comrade!

Zoula Frostmane
<Bloodgale Vanguard>
www.vanguardgaming.com

in WvW

Posted by: Yshyr.8709

Yshyr.8709

Doesn’t this strategy require your enemy to be so incredibly stupid that they remain unaware that there are merchants in every starting area on every map which sell siege? Or is this where we all pretend the price of siege weapons isn’t ridiculously low?

in WvW

TheAltarBoy.3176

It’s not a winning strategy. You know why? Two scenarios.

1. Not everyone who wants to complete the puzzle is an active WWW participant. I go to Eternal, attempt to complete the puzzle, loot the chest, then leave. I do the same thing in Borderlands. If people are wasting their time camping in there, I just leave anyway. This means YOU are costing YOUR team a potential combatant (You could be helping the actual fight above) in order to deny someone who wasn’t going to fight anyway. I don’t really care about the blueprints, I’m just gathering badges from the chest to acquire the 500 badge legendary thingy (plus some orich to sell from Eternal)

2. Mutual destruction vs. Mutual gain. Instead of camping, your team could grab their blueprints and head back to the real fight. What happens when you get camped in return? It’s really a question of “should everyone gain blueprints faster” vs “should everyone gain blueprints slower”.

If people wanting to complete the puzzle aren’t active WvW participants, why are they there? They taking a spot away from people that actually want to play.

By preventing the enemy from getting Badges and blueprints I AM helping the fight above. Every less treb, or ram or ballista the enemy gets is one less treb, ram or balista I have to deal with attacking my territory.

You can easily rotate players in and out of the battlegrounds so once I get my blueprints I defend the area for a bit then someone else can take over. Leaving 5 opr even 10 people behind to defend the area isn’t really hurting your army. Letting your enemy get easy cheap trebs or arrow carts does hurt your army.

If the enemy is in there camping I just leave. Then I come back later with a bunch of friends so we can take back the area. Trickling in a few at a time is pointless but if you can overrun themwe can control the zone. We also get to destroy the siege they may have set up, and make it a lot easier for us to usher our teammates in so more of them get siege blueprints.

in WvW

Posted by: Turin.1024

Turin.1024

You’re missing the point, the grieving being done is not the pvp in the puzzles its the blocking of choke points with out of range siege weapons.

If it was possible to hold stonemist castle with a single arrow cart, no matter the size of the enemy army, would you still defend this as a viable tactic?

in WvW

TheAltarBoy.3176

You’re missing the point, the grieving being done is not the pvp in the puzzles its the blocking of choke points with out of range siege weapons.

If this is the issue than I completely agree it needs to be fixed.

However, arrow carts DO have a limited range and a minimum range and can only fire so fast. If you have enough people and you actually run through instead of standing in the AoE trying to attack the arrow carts you should be able to get up to the person firing it.

in WvW

Posted by: Krazed.7458

Krazed.7458

If this is the issue than I completely agree it needs to be fixed.

However, arrow carts DO have a limited range and a minimum range and can only fire so fast. If you have enough people and you actually run through instead of standing in the AoE trying to attack the arrow carts you should be able to get up to the person firing it.

I would like to see you ‘run through’ the chandelier puzzle while being in combat the entire time. I’m fairly certain it’s impossible. And I don’t mean difficult. I mean literally impossible to make some of those jumps with the decreased movement speed of being in combat.

in WvW

Posted by: SausageStorm.4293

SausageStorm.4293

I’ve done it before; It’s possible.

in WvW

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

Wasting your time in puzzles, either doing them or camping them, is always detrimental for your server. The only thing you’re doing is getting money, or denying it to the enemy… except you aren’t, because said enemy can just go farm gold in a pve zone (in fact it’s more efficient) without using any of the precious 166 spots.

The only time when it makes sense is when your world has capped 100% of the map through numerical superiority and the absence of a few people from the front line is not going to change anything. Even then, ideally, only a few players at a time should go there to ensure the numerical superiority is kept and so is the 100% capping.

in WvW

McWaffle.1927

Of course that takes 20 people off of taking keeps, defending supply etc. You should be proud that your attempt to do the jumping puzzle has helped your entire servers war effort comrade!

And the mesmers chain porting our team through gets people back to the frontlines siege in hand faster.

Doesn’t this strategy require your enemy to be so incredibly stupid that they remain unaware that there are merchants in every starting area on every map which sell siege? Or is this where we all pretend the price of siege weapons isn’t ridiculously low?

Yea a alpha golem is cheap.

Hahaha what a stupid op
I am fine with griefing its a pvp game after all.But siege weapons really? THEY ARE kitten CHEAP they are worthless? 50 silver. really?
If you gonna grief at least have the balls to stand behind itkitten

I have never completed or camped a puzzle. In fact I dont even know where the puzzle is in EB, and once tried the BL puzzle and ended up fighting til I was killed and returned to battle.9

If it was possible to hold stonemist castle with a single arrow cart, no matter the size of the enemy army, would you still defend this as a viable tactic?

So those 300 spartans were “greifing”

(edited by McWaffle.1927)

in WvW

Azure Prower.8701

I’ve done it before; It’s possible.

No you haven’t.

Not with cripple arrows from the arrow carts and it’s pretty obvious where to fire them.

All it takes is 2-3 arrow carts like in my picture and you’re perma-crippled. Game over.

Meanwhile the camping side is sending free mesmer portals to those on their server to bypass 85% of the puzzle with no PVP confrontation. ie. a free pass if you server transfer to them.

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

Do not try to counter EB Jumping Puzzle campers. It only feeds them.

The best strategy to counter siege weapons camps on EB jumping puzzle is to create another camp just before it. If they are camping Arena, you make a camp at dark room. If they are camping dark room, you make a camp at dark room entrance.

Warn your server mates going up and have them stay with you. Kill the others. Campers on the top will get bored after an hour of no-one passing by. Continue the camp until someone else forms another camp before you

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

in WvW

Posted by: Bahamzero.6783

Bahamzero.6783

Camping EB puzzle is the mokittenn in this game for me, so many good laughs im getting there and its 1 of the best places to farm ppl.
proud to be a greifer

in WvW

Posted by: Rhyis.7058

Rhyis.7058

Killing players in a pvp zone? NOT IN MY VIDEO GAME.

in WvW

Posted by: MajorKong.8095

MajorKong.8095

Beast/Arena Room:

I think OPs point about manning up is moot as it’s practically impossible to win in this area regardless of the number of people, the amount of siege, and the skill of the players. Well, if you are playing competent opponents at least.

It’s true that siege is often vulnerable to long range abilities, and it’s also true that all the classes have skills that can be used to great advantage here, for example if you have a mesmer you can do well by chaining portals and pulling enemies who venture to close to the edge. It isn’t always possible to do this however, especially as there are many siege spots that are much harder or impossible to hit. This is not something you can counter which is why I think it’s bad design. It’s possible to purge things like cripple, but it is not possible to remove the combat slow, and that’s something that becomes a major issue when there’s several arrow carts firing from a good position.

I know that with a few well placed ballista and a couple of arrow carts that I can completely shut down this area. You could have 100 players, all the supply in Tyria, and mad skills, but you’d still inevitably fail.

MajorKong
Human Elementalist -The Iron Triangle [IRON]
My WvW review

(edited by MajorKong.8095)

in WvW

Posted by: TurtleMuncher.9750

TurtleMuncher.9750

What you should do when facing griefers is transfer to their server and queue into the WvW to do the jump quest. They cant do anything to you!

MERC

in WvW

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

The jumping puzzle used to only give 2 siege blueprints. Do they give 5 now???

SOR – [Boss]

in WvW

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

There is nothing wrong with trying to deny your enemy access to the jumping puzzle. However, when on guy with an arrow cart can hold the entire puzzle indefinitely against every enemy player on the map, the system is broken. Pure and simple.

in WvW

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

I have no issues with guilds camping the puzzle. I do however question it’s contribution to the war effort, that part isn’t really true and you are kidding yourself.

Siege is cheap so you aren’t really preventing the opposition getting siege. This would hold true if the puzzle was the only method of gaining siege.

Siege golems are expensive but require 100 supply to build and as they have to close on the gate are easy to take down. It is why you hardly see them on the battlefield as they are a waste of resource.

Resource is more important. If you deny the opposition resource then you deny them siege, wherever they got it from. Cannot build siege, repair or upgrade without resource. In my opinion a 10 or 20 man guild group would be far more effective raiding the supply camps and denying them the resource.

In off peak hours it makes sense to run through for free siege but to camp it does little for your server. As far as I am aware you get 0 points for controlling the puzzle.

TL:DR – Camping the puzzle does little to help the war effort.

Edit: One person holding it with a single arrow cart. Now that would be worthwhile and a good use of manpower.

(edited by Kandrick.8054)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

You can destroy beast pit siege weapons with a treb placed at the first stealth well in Obsidian Sanctum.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Azure Prower.8701

You can destroy beast pit siege weapons with a treb placed at the first stealth well in Obsidian Sanctum.

No you can’t. Can’t reach.

Attachments:

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

Been there, destroyed that. You need a spotter, but it’s not impossible.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Helathir.3647

Helathir.3647

dodgeroll jump while stealthed up kill arrow cart gg have done many times even with as many as 10 people with multi arrow carts/ballista if you cant stealth just condition remove the snare and dodge-jump very easy to do especially as a acrobatics thief whos dodges give speed
better yet bring 3 buddies plant superior arrow and take out their arrow cart or force them down

(edited by Helathir.3647)

in WvW

Azure Prower.8701

Been there, destroyed that. You need a spotter, but it’s not impossible.

No you haven’t. A well placed arrow cart cannot be reached by a treb at the lower platforms near the puzzle entrance. Not to mention your treb can be easily zerged by enemies from the two other servers waypointing to their keep and running back into the puzzle.

It’s a wasted effort to begin with and a poor tactic.

in WvW

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

I dunno why people even waste time with the puzzle, except the first time for achievement. The reward isn’t that much, ~5 badges isn’t hard to get, and the amount of time you waste there if you run into enemies is ridiculous. The blueprints are nice, but honestly blueprints aren’t even that expensive. Do a couple yak kills, take a supply camp or 2, and you just paid for a siege blueprint. Unless your hella lucky, and never run into enemies there, AND get alpha golems from the chest all day, its not worth it.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in WvW

Posted by: Hix.8925

Hix.8925

Rich Orichalcum!

in WvW

Sarrs.4831

No you haven’t. A well placed arrow cart cannot be reached by a treb at the lower platforms near the puzzle entrance. Not to mention your treb can be easily zerged by enemies from the two other servers waypointing to their keep and running back into the puzzle.
It’s a wasted effort to begin with and a poor tactic.

lower platforms near the puzzle entrance.

first stealth well in Obsidian Sanctum.

i just want to make ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE we’re on the same page

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

If people wanting to complete the puzzle aren’t active WvW participants, why are they there? They taking a spot away from people that actually want to play.

Because ArenaNet, in their infinite wisdom, decided that to get 100% map completion you have to go into all the WvW zones to get it.

So yes, the queues are “clogged” with PvE-ers who are trying to get the achievement and the associated reward that includes things to make your legendary weapons with.

It also includes people who like to get other achievements like doing all the jumping puzzles.

The way we choose to play the game is different to yours, but no less legitimate.

Until ArenaNet either separate the need to go into WvW zones to complete it, or give us an alternative (of which neither are likely) stop complaining.

The easy fix is to remove blueprints as a chest reward period. Have them rewarded for capturing an objective instead, which makes more sense.

in WvW

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

I dunno why people even waste time with the puzzle, except the first time for achievement. The reward isn’t that much, ~5 badges isn’t hard to get, and the amount of time you waste there if you run into enemies is ridiculous. The blueprints are nice, but honestly blueprints aren’t even that expensive. Do a couple yak kills, take a supply camp or 2, and you just paid for a siege blueprint. Unless your hella lucky, and never run into enemies there, AND get alpha golems from the chest all day, its not worth it.

So mean getting a average of 15 badges, 2+blue prints (like a siege golem or even a treb), and some gear is a waste of time?

lol, best thing I’ve heard all day

in WvW

Posted by: Vacks.6459

Vacks.6459

Fielding a group of 15 players along with siege to hold the arena for 3 hours is not a winning strategy; it’s a waste of time and resources (i.e. players) that could be better used in the Eternal Battlegrounds. The only reason to camp for an extended period of time is for the enjoyment of keeping the other man down. Furthermore, it really doesn’t take 15 people to keep the other servers from getting up; it’s practically overkill. Just one guy on a well-placed arrow cart can keep others from ever making any of the jumps.

On the other hand, sparring with other players on the way up to get your own reward is fantastic and probably what was intended.

Server: Tarnished Coast
Guild: Ours Is The Fury [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Kazim.2043

Kazim.2043

What you need is at most 4 players with +5 supply buff to create at most 2 arrow carts on right locations. You don’t need 15 for that.

Izuvac.5713 “…like imagine 2 taliban server against 1 american…”

in WvW

Posted by: joejean.6842

joejean.6842

Obviously a flawed concept on Anets part, give them a few months or years, they will either release a new game, hence fixing your issue or you`ll just have moved on to a more seriously programmed game…