I log and end up dead...wtf?

in WvW

Posted by: solarisnox.8521

solarisnox.8521

what is the deal with logging while in combat?
now, no matter WHAT situation I’m in, winning, losing, not even involved, shooting arrows at a wall or gate…if I log, or switch from borderlands to EB, I end up dead with damaged armor.

this is bullkitten.
this needs to be changed back to the way it was, or the circumstances need to be taken into account.
I get it that people got sick and tired of other people alt-f4’ing and depriving you of your token. and so have I gotten sick of it every time I fight a thief who disappears when I’ve downed him, or a warrior who somehow manages to “revive” from near death with half full heath and then slaughter me.
deal with it.

this situation is inexcusable.

I was in borderlands chasing some ele who was running away, I got the prompt for the EB switch because it was in queue when I logged in…I land in EB dead and with damaged armor.

a-net, fix this.

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

So OP wants to have people be able to alt+f4 and avoid any consequences of death because he decided to switch from one wvw map to another while in combat. This seems totally reasonable as I’m sure this happens far more often than people just abusing alt+f4 was. /sarcasm

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I was in borderlands chasing some ele who was running away, I got the prompt for the EB switch because it was in queue when I logged in…I land in EB dead and with damaged armor.

a-net, fix this.

No need to bother Anet with it, next time when you are chasing an ele and que pops stop running after him and wait 5 seconds to get out of combat.

Problem solved.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I have addressed this issue by not WvWVW anymore. Soon the thieves will have no other class to fight but themselves cause i doubt there will be many new players joining the ranks in WvWVW. For those seeking map completion I have a tip. Do your map roaming naked or if you must equip crappy armor with runes that give you speed buffs. Constantly check your soroundings and when you see a party heading your way run in the other direction. Hit the map button while doing so and waypoint back to base.

I’ll be kitten if they get a token out of me.

For the new and uninlighted there are 3 wells in the eternal battleground puzzle that make you invisible for nearly 3/4 of the way. Use them.

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

a-net, fix this.

No need to bother Anet with it, next time when you are chasing an ele and que pops stop running after him and wait 5 seconds to get out of combat.

Problem solved.

really?
except oh wait…it doesn’t quite work like that.
and what if the situation is different and I’m trying to get away, having no interest in fighting a pack of 3 or more, (typically a thief, a mesmer and a warrior…they seem to run in packs like that), my only choice is to a) die, b) run and die), c) fight and die) or d) try to escape by logging and oh yeah die.

I notice not one of you addressed the issue of the invincible thief who I can never get my token off of…I’ll assume you’re op thieves who can’t stand getting a taste of you’re own medicine, eh?

Nope, i play Necro and Ranger. If you are not prepared to die in WvW at unfair fights it’s a wrong place for you.
But i agree on the thief part, culling thief is horribly broken atm.

All is vain.

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

I have addressed this issue by not WvWVW anymore. Soon the thieves will have no other class to fight but themselves cause i doubt there will be many new players joining the ranks in WvWVW. For those seeking map completion I have a tip. Do your map roaming naked or if you must equip crappy armor with runes that give you speed buffs. Constantly check your soroundings and when you see a party heading your way run in the other direction. Hit the map button while doing so and waypoint back to base.

I’ll be kitten if they get a token out of me.

In normal, relatively fair, (‘cause I can’t really hope for anything more than “relatively fair”) wvwvw situations, I have no problem letting someone get their token off me. If I fight a fair fight and I lose, that’s fine. But, I’m with you on this in most other respects. I’m not going to let some op thief gank the crap out of me, get away when I almost beat him, come back and gank me some more, until he finally beats me, and then get a token. I also don’t bother fighting in the JP, that’s not why I’m there.

It’s pathetic and kitteny to camp the JP to get tokens.

For the new and uninlighted there are 3 wells in the eternal battleground puzzle that make you invisible for nearly 3/4 of the way. Use them.

unfortunately, the 2nd well needs to be about 2 minutes longer in duration, otherwise it’s useless without a speed 5 minute speed buff to go with it, and since they nerfed it so you can’t use any kind of permanent speed buff (25% for air attunement, etc), it’s impossible to get to the 3rd fountain while still in stealth. The problem area is the chandelier room, and by the time you get there, the stealth runs out, or just after, not long enough to get to the 3rd fountain, even under the best of circumstances. And since that’s where the kitteny jackholes who can’t cut it in the wvwvw arena normally camp out, it’s pointless to even bother with the fountains.

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

Nope, i play Necro and Ranger. If you are not prepared to die in WvW at unfair fights it’s a wrong place for you.
But i agree on the thief part, culling thief is horribly broken atm.

I wasn’t actually addressing only you.
I addressed issue of culling in the wvwvw thief’s are op thread…it’s not the culling…it’s the fact that thieves are essentially unkillable stalking death machines who can remain stealth’d indefinitely while they kill you in 3 seconds and then disappear indefinitely if you manage somehow to get them downed. I can’t get a token off a thief. I’ve never seen anyone get a token off a thief unless it was some 10th level noob thief who’d never played before and didn’t understand that he could stealth. I was in a party of 3 relatively seasoned players (ranger, necro, warrior). We all were slaughtered by one thief.

I think it’s ridiculous that I have to do 5 times the work to achieve 1/3 the damage, and I have no recourse against their stealth or their miraculous dagger storm that kills me and heals them at the same time.
Sorry, no tokens from me for a thief. not now. not ever, unless they level the playing field.
but that is a discussion for another thread, and I digress.
Please accept my apologies.

but my point was that it’s not really an acceptable “solution” to kill you and ruin your armor because you leave the map.
All it takes is for some jack hole to attack me, and I’m dead if I leave. I can’t map out if I’m attacked. I can’t log out if I’m attacked. No matter how far away they might be.
If I’m running away and get hit by a treb, I’m suddenly in combat and can’t leave without dying.

this is ridiculous.

in WvW

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

I have another tip for players who seek map completion and badges for the gift of battle. Move to a non competative server. I have been on Far Shiverpeaks server since release and have never hopped. We started off as the 2nd ranked server. However we don’t have a very active WvWvW community. Besides that we don’t have a strong presence during nighttime so we slowly kept loosing our placing to servers that do and are now mid way on the charts. There is never a cue to get into WvWvW.There are hardly any people in the EB puzzle and absolutely no campers and certainly not with siege weapons. So; if it’s map or badges you need but don’t care to feed the vultures move to a lower ranked server.

in WvW

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Just keep in mind that if the game notices you to be ‘in combat’ while transferring maps and such; you will die.

I had this happen to me today when I jumped off a wall while the ‘Borderlands is ready’ message popped up. I clicked it to go there and ended up dead on arrival. As falling damage also puts you into ‘combat’ briefly, the game acted as if I wanted to escape a fight.

If you are out of combat and transfer maps, nothing will happen.

These measures were put in place because a lot of people were abusing Alt-F4 and similar ways to avoid death (and the hit on their armor + deny loot to their adversary) whilst in combat. So you can be certain that ANet is not going to change it back. And for that I’m thankful.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

But is this any different than a thief using his abilities to deny a fair kill to anyone and everyone they come into combat with?

My problem is that I rarely ever fight with anyone. I go into wvw, and I fight on the battlefield in groups, to get my monthly kills.

When I’m there by myself, I’m there for jumping puzzles, because I love them and I love doing them.

I don’t fight in the EB jumping puzzle, if I can avoid it. I used to be able to get away from “kittens” who would camp the JP like a bunch of losers who can’t cut it on the battlefield, and come back later, or try using the stealth fountains. I can’t do that anymore because unless I want to run around naked, which I don’t, I’m going to be killed and have to pay for armor damage because some loser can’t face me on the battlefield, and I’m sorry, but that’s not acceptable. All it takes is one jack hole and I’m screwed, whether I want it or not.
and not in the good way.

so why bother with armor at all?
from now on I’ll just go into wvw naked all the time and see how many times I can be killed.
wow, what fun

why not just make it so they get their loot, and their token if they get you into a downed state, if that’s the issue, and leave off the death and armor damage. This current solution doesn’t fix anything.

scenario:
I’m running away, I’m at almost full health, I get hit with one arrow as I’m logging out, and I land dead with 300+coppers in armor damage. The attacker got nothing, because they didn’t earn anything from the fight. I got penalized for doing nothing but trying to peaceably avoid an irritating waste of time.
Does this seem like a reasonable solution?

No.

If I’m downed, and I log, sure, whatever, give them their loot, I could care less. I won’t know about it anyway. I see no reason to justify death and armor damage. That’s pointless and accomplishes nothing.

Just keep in mind that if the game notices you to be ‘in combat’ while transferring maps and such; you will die.

I had this happen to me today when I jumped off a wall while the ‘Borderlands is ready’ message popped up. I clicked it to go there and ended up dead on arrival. As falling damage also puts you into ‘combat’ briefly, the game acted as if I wanted to escape a fight.

If you are out of combat and transfer maps, nothing will happen.

These measures were put in place because a lot of people were abusing Alt-F4 and similar ways to avoid death (and the hit on their armor + deny loot to their adversary) whilst in combat. So you can be certain that ANet is not going to change it back. And for that I’m thankful.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I got penalized for doing nothing but trying to peaceably avoid an irritating waste of time.

You don’t have the right to expect to peaceably avoid anything while in a war zone. You really need to figure out how to wrap your mind around that.

You already know why the “dead while porting out of combat” situation exists. It’s a tradeoff between a minor currency cost for (unless you’re stupid) infrequent (maybe even unfair) situations and a larger scale abuse that had everyone upset. If you can’t live with that, you probably should stay out of WvW because you clearly don’t know what it’s there for.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

wow that’s great advice, thanks.
now you grow up and pay attention to what I actually said

a) I’m not the only one who thinks this about thieves, ovbiously. The only people who don’t think it are the kittens who play thieves.

b) I’m not whining about a fair fight. I’m not actually whining about anything.

c) any amount is too much when it shouldn’t be necessary at all.

d) I do meet people on the battlefield, and that’s how I get my kills. not by sneaking around stealthed for 3 hours ganking like a kitten and running away if I get beaten in a fair fight, and not by camping the JP like a kitten.

e) I’m not asking to log during combat, I’m preferring to log as a means to AVOID combat. Not to avoid death in a fair fight.

f) yes, I avoid combat as much as I can if I’m there for JP. Why is this so strange? obviously it’s meant to be avoidable or they wouldn’t have put stealth fountains in it. The real problem with that, is that the 2nd stealth fountain needs to last for about 10 minutes in order to make it through the dark room (without a torch) and survive long enough to get through the chandelier room, and up to the next fountain, without a speed buff. Which apparently only theives can still have when they’re stealthed, since they stripped it from all other classes using the stealth fountains.

oh wait, here’s the perfect solution. I’ll just delete all my other characters and only play thieves,
like you.

wow…….

you think thieves are unstoppable killing machines. you wish that you were allowed to log out during combat. you admit to doing very little combat, and then expect people to “meet you on the battlefield” which you actively avoid in favor of the jumping puzzles. and the 1 and a half silver (at most, not “300 copper”) for a repair bill is too much for you to cough up.

i have the solution. grow a pair. seriously. you’ve whined about kitten near everything like a child throwing a temper tantrum. man up or move along.

in WvW

Posted by: Teerlys.5630

Teerlys.5630

…it’s World vs World. It’s not set up to be fair. You will get jumped. You will be stomped by a ton of players because you walked around the corner at the wrong time. You will run up against classes whose builds are set up to be able to take yours apart. You will think you handed some one their kitten only to have their friend gank you out of left field and rally them. You do not get to decide to deny them anything based on your own measure of fairness. Thieves have nothing to do with that. If you have a legit gripe about winding up dead because you shot shot a door then a map switch option popped up, suck up the first mistake as a learning opportunity and don’t do it again. /endtopic

in WvW

Posted by: DMC.8715

DMC.8715

This happens to me a lot also, even when im not in combat and i log off in my own keep a pretty much always on relogging in the next day find that im dead in LA

Rotten Egg (EGG) Darkhaven
lv 80 Ranger
Cpt Craptastic

in WvW

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Waypoint back to spawn before you log out.
Problem solved.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

Hmm…wow…thanks for clarifying that.
Then maybe, just maybe, the dev’s should give every class the ability to stealth out of combat, in order to make it “fair” and “balanced”, the way thieves can, if they are losing, and therefore not take any damage, not have any armor cost, and not die when they log out, and hey, then no one gets any loot or tokens, and no one wins, hurray, everybody let’s all be thieves, and then this problem is solved. Woot.

wow, thanks man, you’ve just proved my point.

I got penalized for doing nothing but trying to peaceably avoid an irritating waste of time.

You don’t have the right to expect to peaceably avoid anything while in a war zone. You really need to figure out how to wrap your mind around that.

You already know why the “dead while porting out of combat” situation exists. It’s a tradeoff between a minor currency cost for (unless you’re stupid) infrequent (maybe even unfair) situations and a larger scale abuse that had everyone upset. If you can’t live with that, you probably should stay out of WvW because you clearly don’t know what it’s there for.

in WvW

solarisnox.8521

valid points
but, not really my argument.

…it’s World vs World. It’s not set up to be fair. You will get jumped. You will be stomped by a ton of players because you walked around the corner at the wrong time. You will run up against classes whose builds are set up to be able to take yours apart. You will think you handed some one their kitten only to have their friend gank you out of left field and rally them. You do not get to decide to deny them anything based on your own measure of fairness. Thieves have nothing to do with that. If you have a legit gripe about winding up dead because you shot shot a door then a map switch option popped up, suck up the first mistake as a learning opportunity and don’t do it again. /endtopic

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

So you’re the one who was chasing after my ele. I saw you disappear and a bag dropped at my feet. Looted the bag and obtained an exotic sword from it. Thanks!

Lol… Trolled!

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Sounds like the usual ‘A big bad Thief killed me and no-one should be able to kill me because i am the best so Thieves must be so OP!!’ thread!!
Growing old now … (I play a Necro and my win ratio is about 60-70% against Thieves)

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

My game often just randomly disconnects (goes back to character selection) or simply crashes. I know others have this issue as well.

And instead of fixing the bugs first where the client randomly disconnects or crashes, ArenaNet implements something that basically exploits their own bugs to be used as goldsinks with the excuse that it is to prevent people from ALT-F4’ing when downed.

No wonder people quit. They don’t have any in-game gold left to continue playing :P

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

(edited by Centrix.4065)

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

No wonder people quit. They don’t have any in-game gold left to continue playing :P

If you run out of gold from repairs you’re doing it wrong…

I do agree that fixing the problem from the little QQer’s about disconnecting was pretty stupid. There is so many other issues more important then some noob losing his/her loot. I play a lot of classes and get mad loot all the time with varieties of gear. If people were actually good they would get so much loots like me, and not really care about the few lost bags. In reality not a lot of people were disconnecting to not get killed. It was probably less than 5% if not less.

But, when the kiddies cry… kitten gets fixed! :P

Get on my level Anet!

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Oh I love killing you kittens in JP, you dont even ressist just try to continue jumping puzzle with reduced speed from combat or even crippled lol. I might aswell do full glass cannon build w/o any stealth utilities just to kill faster since I dont rly need it when noone is trying to defend themselves with their bot-like behaviour.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in WvW

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

If you run out of gold from repairs you’re doing it wrong…

I do agree that fixing the problem from the little QQer’s about disconnecting was pretty stupid. There is so many other issues more important then some noob losing his/her loot. I play a lot of classes and get mad loot all the time with varieties of gear. If people were actually good they would get so much loots like me, and not really care about the few lost bags. In reality not a lot of people were disconnecting to not get killed. It was probably less than 5% if not less.

But, when the kiddies cry… kitten gets fixed! :P

Get on my level Anet!

What ? this probablly was done in favour to pve kittens that loves loging off in combat to survive mobs ( yea ….). So now u get penalty for loging off in combat in www instead of not being able to do that at all. No other game I played allowed loging off in combat at all . OFc u could alt+f4 in every game, but then u still stay conected for 10 s or so so that your kitten can get stomped.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in WvW

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

Every once in a while I forget that jumping borders or switching characters can kill you if you’re not in a perfectly safe place, and when I get back in I start dead.

You know what I do? I move on. It’s like 1 silver.

The amount of extra loot bags I’ve got now that quitters can’t Alt-F4 their way out of combat makes up for it 10x over.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

in WvW

Posted by: Foehn.2489

Foehn.2489

OP wants to be able to flag himself as a non-pvp target in WvWvW

-To completely avoid combat, right? Maybe to do JP. JP is fun. There are lots in the Pve world. Denying some a kill when they hit you with a projectile isn’t fair though, especially in anenvironment specifically set for Pvp. You argument is out of convenience for yourself.

Or this is about class balance spearheaded at thieves?

-Many made the point above before me, but OP then drags it to class balance and advantages. Namely stealth. Is this what the post is about? If so, really, /thread and post a new one. (better yet, pick a favorite poster that articulated the same point, and give him/her your full support)

(edited by Foehn.2489)

in WvW

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

How the hell did people turn this into yet another complain-about JP/thief thread, I wonder? Or did a mod make a very silly topic merge?

Yes OP it’s nasty when you have a poor connection/pc like me. But seeing how badly alt+f4 was abused before, I’m happy for the change. Consider the comparison:

New system downsides:
- crashes and poorly timed map changes occasionally mean a few silver worth of repair bill

Old system downsides:
- Losing target without any indication
- Annoyance by not getting your kills
- Effects “on kill” cancelled by mass-exploiting
- Rallies cancelled by mass-exploiting (in major battles this alone may have had a decisive impact)
- Tonnes of loot lost in the process

I think the balance is fairly clear. This system is by far the lesser of two evils. The only possible alternative is freezing the character for X seconds (I’d say 10-15 to ensure people can’t do it when losing). Would eliminate many death-crashes, but also add some if you crash with combat nearby.

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

in WvW

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

I’ve repeatedly logged in dead. I don’t alt-f4, I don’t log out in combat. It gets tiresome. I have a bunch of alts so I typically alt hop. Oh well.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

in WvW

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

I have had several similar situations. Sometimes you are aggroed for quite a while after an action or even stuck – logging out and back in cures the stuck in aggro but you also die. The problem is you need to notice that you are still aggroed.

Another instance is where I’ve been involved in fighting and the client has crashed. This often dumps your dead body back in LA when you log back in.

in WvW

Posted by: OldRodKS.9758

OldRodKS.9758

The problem is you need to notice that you are still aggroed.

That’s the problem for me. Several times I have thought I was out of combat and hopped to another BG only to spawn there dead.

Maybe a popup “You are in combat, are you sure you want to do that?” or something?

Playing on Tarnished Coast
Playing a various Stormspire alt – if it’s Stormspire, it’s probably me
Guilds: Elder Prophets [EP], Principality of New Katulus (PiNK)

in WvW

Posted by: Genesis Notch.1905

Genesis Notch.1905

I only experience this when there is no arrow up on my skill bar; that is, if i was in the ‘combat mode’ (the state when you take damage from falling off, being attacked by someone, etc.), and I log out, I will be lying on the floor when I log back in.

Like what SteepledHat said, WP back before you log out, just to be safe.

I am in charge of gas tanks. Tink Tink.

in WvW

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

The implementation of this is bad, specially with so many bugs still affects it, namely the stuck in combat mode bug and the stuck in one place bug.

All they have to do is to make it only effective in downed state and everyone will be happy.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Hmm…wow…thanks for clarifying that.
Then maybe, just maybe, the dev’s should give every class the ability to stealth out of combat, in order to make it “fair” and “balanced”, the way thieves can, if they are losing, and therefore not take any damage, not have any armor cost, and not die when they log out, and hey, then no one gets any loot or tokens, and no one wins, hurray, everybody let’s all be thieves, and then this problem is solved. Woot.

wow, thanks man, you’ve just proved my point.

Sigh … the only thing any of this proves is that you can’t even stay on topic for a thread you generated. Thieves have nothing to do with this situation … it happens to everyone and if a thief in combat leaves the map he shows up dead whether he was stealthed or not. If you can’t whine intelligently, at least try to whine coherently, OK?

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Cyfyr Dios.3875

Cyfyr Dios.3875

I’ve been disconnected while in combat and came back without death or armor damage. Same with leaving EB for borderland queue. Anyways, this system is much better than the previous escape by alt-f4. Thanks A-net

in WvW

Posted by: Forsaken.2167

Forsaken.2167

After hours of research I have finally figured out a solution to these problems. Respawn and stop crying seems to work pretty well.

Moderators make the best Trolls.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

How the hell did people turn this into yet another complain-about JP/thief thread, I wonder? Or did a mod make a very silly topic merge?

The OP did that to his own thread. I think maybe he has ADD. Or maybe he’s just really immature. Or maybe both, it’s hard to tell. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t/isn’t/won’t be his class valedictorian, though.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

I got bitten by the death-on-queue-travel thing, too, the first day after the patch. Then I realized that the “Do you want to travel?” window has a “Reenter queue” button. And it actually stays open for quite a while, so you don’t have to make a selection right away. (Being able to move the popup not to be in the middle would be nice.)

At level 80, repairs cost about 1.5 silver. Using a single waypoint in PvE costs 3-4 silver. So even if you’re disconnecting several times a night (which does happen to me, since it seems like GW2 is crashy as all get out on Vista 64 with an Nvidia card), it’s really not a big deal.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com