Idea for small WvW fights. Good or Bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Vitu.3580

Vitu.3580

I prefer to roam in WvW. My computer can’t really handle the huge zerg fights so I mostly run either solo or in a group no larger than 4-5 people capping supply camps and fighting invaders.

One thing that ruins my style of play is that I’ll get into a really good close fight 1v1, 1v2, 2v2, etc., and we will be going at for a good half a minute or so and then another group from one side or the other will run in and ruin the fun because they notice on their map the crossed swords. I don’t blame them for investigating, but it does suck to have a good fight ruined by reinforcements.

My idea: Is it possible to exempt the cross swords on the map in the case of smaller fights; fights involving no more than 4 people, or something similar?

in WvW

Posted by: Azunai.1065

Azunai.1065

crossed swordes are only shown if 5 or more ppl from the same server are infight, including NPCs but not pets

Namefather of the Asuran Elementalists from [Bots]
My first Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPF9SmvW4jE

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

crossed swordes are only shown if 5 or more ppl from the same server are infight, including NPCs but not pets

Exactly. Which is why the Watergate is so dangerous. Four players running up, taking out the NPCs, plopping down a ram and knocking it down is a completely viable stealth strategy if nobody runs down to take a peek at what that knocking noise is.

Especially if they’re distracted by the massive trebuchet giving them white swords on the NE wall.

in WvW

Posted by: Vitu.3580

Vitu.3580

Really? I didn’t know that. I wonder why my fights are interrupted so often. I guess its just bad luck.

Oh well, thanks for clarifying that.

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Really? I didn’t know that. I wonder why my fights are interrupted so often. I guess its just bad luck.

Most likely. See one person, you should usually assume he has at least one buddy with him. People quickly learn that running around solo can usually end with death. Especially if you’re in enemy territory.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

That maps are just so small and travel so easy that the zerg is usually just minutes away.

So any fight that is not over in a few minutes will usually be happened on by other people.

Removing swords would be better for the small group fights of 5+, but until the map size is increased (if it ever is), those looking for small group action aren’t going to be happy.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Silke.1695

Silke.1695

I have read many threads highlighting the issue so many have with wishing for small group battle, and I think perhaps I have a workable idea.
What if your small group (up to say 7 people) could /party with your opponents? If Anet could increase allowable party amounts to a total of 21 (up to 7 players per server), and once the party is formed, it disables the swords. Call it say “closed skirmish combat” and no objectives are claimable or damageable while the players are engaged in the group ‘dueling’. Your ‘pin’ and/or blue dorito will then become disabled from the map so that physical target objective groups will no longer respond to the flagged swords in your combat area.
Unless they simply happen upon you. If attacked by another group while engaged, party auto drops and it’s a free for all! Hmmmm, I’m not really sure how this part should work, but you get the general idea. A feature that allows and encourages player communication and cooperation. In addition to providing a format to do “field exercises” for testing out varying tactics and maneuvers. Though this would probably be a coding nightmare to implement…not sure on that.

Toasted Coaster

in WvW

Posted by: Kellnor.5428

Kellnor.5428

In all honesty, a great way to work on “field exercises” or this sort of combat is spvp. Just get 16 of your guildies to fill up an empty spvp server and run through different scenarios, training sessions etc.

good luck!

Commander Kell Swiftfire, Jade Quarry
Co-Leader & Defensive Strategist of Empërium [EMP]