In my opinion, portal is ruining the game

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Limit portals to 5 people. Problem solved.

The people in that Mesmer’s party.. Still useful for moving teams around. All it means is for a zerg to move around they will need more mesmers and if they are committed enough to run around 10 mesmers simply for portals then good on them

Idk i mean then you have to be in the mesmers party which is kinda lame.
As much as all you JP mesmers are gonna hate to hear this a fix for wvw and pve to all other “teleport” ability was put in back in beta. All the other abilitys that instantly change your location Will Not Go through Walls or Over Gaps. Thieves Shortbow 5 is a good example of this.

in WvW

Posted by: ViRuE.3612

ViRuE.3612

My proposed changes:

1) thieves get a new ’Detect stealthed player" ability. long cooldown, works like some of the temp powers tat just leaves a trail or somesuch, tempory map marker. helps with portal bombs and stealthed players. (gives thieves something “thievy” to do)

2) Portals are limited to twice the players going through as the AoE limit. Can be traited to increase, but increased capacity increases casting time. (trating for both AoE limit and Portal capacity)

3) Portals have easily differentiated exit and entrance colors. (you can at a glance tell if it’s an incoming portal or outgoing portal)

4) Mesmers can “traceback” other teams portals, an elite skill that lets a Mesmer switch a portal direction. Effectivly closes the portal for the bomber and lets the opossing team use the portal in he other direction for half the original portals capacity. (I’m less convinced on how to make this work in a balanced way, but welcome comments)

Some nice ideas, I wouldn’t give detect stealth to thieves though (maybe rangers at a push). Instead just take away the ability for mesmers to stealth. Simple.

in WvW

Posted by: Aazo.2841

Aazo.2841

So what I am seeing in all these crys to nerf portal are also other variables that are affecting things much more than the portal itself is. Portal is just the vehicle allowing these other issues to take shape. If they fix culling and the exploiting (to enter keeps with walls up).. most of these arguments I am seeing would be proven moot. And would still allow skilled mesmers to provide an effective tactic when a breach to a keep has allready been achieved (wall or door down).

What I would suggest would be to allow AOE damage to transmit through portals. This way if you AOE a portal… it damages folks at both sides of it. This would add an element of risk to those using this tactic, and force them to not delay or potentially be aoe’d at the portal entry spot. After all.. if players/golems can go through, why couln’t fireballs, meteor showers, etc.? Just a thought.

in WvW

Posted by: Josh P.1296

Josh P.1296

Lets just remove the whole mesmer class from the game ;D
A lot of QQing would be solved ;D

Illucéption – Mesmer
Diamond Story – Elementalist
[TSym] Tac Sym

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkus.2860

Pinkus.2860

What I would suggest would be to allow AOE damage to transmit through portals. This way if you AOE a portal… it damages folks at both sides of it. This would add an element of risk to those using this tactic, and force them to not delay or potentially be aoe’d at the portal entry spot. After all.. if players/golems can go through, why couln’t fireballs, meteor showers, etc.? Just a thought.

We would then see teams of mesmers running into keeps / locations, dropping portals and everyone on the outside spamming AOE to kill everyone at the portal’s end location, thus extending the range of the AOE abilities by a mile.

Pinkus – Webmaster
First Light Gaming [DAWN] – PvX OCEANIC COMMUNITY – BLACKGATE
http://www.firstlightgaming.com

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Honestly, people always whine about it, and I’m sure they whine about it after they get portal bombed. I do portal bombing for my guild, but we don’t do it often. We mostly do it on defense when massively outnumbered and out seiged. And I will also state that it is quite easy to stop and/or spot a portal. My guild has defeated portal bombs many times, and died by them as well. Both sides can do it. Here are some good ways to deal with portal bombs:
1) If you see a random solo player running into a zerg, theres a BIG HINT! Yes, the mesmers CAN do stealth, hence why this is just #1.
2) Assume the mesmer gets the portal off. There is about a 1 second period before it fully activates. SO, if you notice a glowy pink circle on the ground, throw all your AOE on it. Remember, the culling issues go BOTH ways. You don’t render them, but they don’t render you as well. So, just lay down large amounts of AoE’s before they hit theirs, spread out, etc. The glowing pink circles are easy to spot
3) I’ve seen people in threads like this that say things like: “Well, sometimes they lay the entrance, and then the exit at their raid”. This would imply your zerg/group walked into a purple circle onto the ground. Always look for them.
4) People always WHINE about keep sweeping. Saying things like “you shouldn’t have to!”, “This isn’t a game of hide and seek”, etc. Sweeping a keep is very easy, and very logical. I hide in keeps ALL the time, sometimes out in the open. Many groups don’t take the 1 minute to send 5-10 people to sweep around the keep. Have other mesmers that you are friends with teach you the hiding spots that we use the most. I get caught hiding in keeps ~50% of the time. If they don’t spot me, well, I’m in their territory that used to be mine, so it is all fair.

That being said, yes, there are some things that could be done to fix the portal’s since the culling issues can make them annoying. However, limiting the amount of people is silly. One good way is to make the portal targetable with LOW health (i.e. ~5-10k health). Or make there be some chance of failure so that anyone who goes through it ends up in the wrong spot, etc.

Portal bombing is a technique that many people use. Why? It works. But it goes both ways. The culling issues with portals aren’t NEARLY as bad as the culling issues with thief’s stealth, since the people using the portal are equally blind. So, the best way to deal with portal bombs is to know how to spot them, and how to deal with them. AoE’s on the portal, spotting the mesmers, sweeping keeps are all very simple things that can be done to basically make portal bombs useless on your group.

Portals aren’t perfect. They do need some changing to make them more “balanced”. However, they also got rid of mesmer usefulness on things such as arrow carts on walls very minimal.

I guarantee that even IF they nerf it so that there are 5 people per portal people will STILL whine that it is game breaking. Why? Because group parties will group together with 4-5+ mesmers, and then the mesmers can use their CHAIN STEALTH and CHAIN time warp (Think! Now you’re making mesmers group together!), and the mechanic will still be used. Now, you just have several mesmers at the end with things like time warp, and stealth. So, the only way to get rid of all whining is to get rid of the entire skill. And then people will STILL find something to whine about that mesmers do in WvW, such as time warp.

So, in summary: tweak portals a bit to make them more balanced, learn the basic things I stated above, fix the issues culling, stop whining about every technique that you die to, roll a mesmer if you think we’re so cool and hop in on the fun, and use these techniques against your enemies. And, more importantly, have fun killing your enemies and ransacking keeps!

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Jacbo.7598

Jacbo.7598

For me it comes down to one simple question. Should there be a class in the game that has a skill which makes it valued and planned around substantially more than any other class? The answer, for me, is no.

It’s an interesting mechanic, and one I’m plenty guilty of using, a lot. But it’s not good game design. No class should be feared over any other, individually, if left alone in a keep. No class should be feared over any other, individually, when defending a siege emplacement. The game is built around combos and how classes play off each other; portals undermine that dynamic.

Stacking, or turtling, or whatever you may have called it, was a widespread tactic for a time. It was especially used in conjunction with portals. When it started surfacing, we devised ways to counter it. And the stacks refined their builds, and the counters refined theirs, and so on.

Stacking was basically removed when the healing cap was changed to 5, bringing it in line with the intended game design. I’m pretty sure that the game did not combust in a ball of flame when that tactic was made less potent. I’m equally sure that the people who employed it best found new ways to show that they were more tactically dominant than their opponents.

So personally, the reason I’d like changes to portal, aside from the relative class balance issue, is that it will open the door for more interesting personnel movement tactics. The meta right now has gotten stale, the answer to breaking any fortified area has basically boiled down to the repetitious usage of teleportation. Without portal, the guilds and commanders who employ it best will find other ways of approaching the variety of situations that portal currently “solves”. And I for one want to see what else people can come up with, because little pink circles on the floor make me yawn. I can’t remember the last time I fought in Hills Lord’s Room, for example, and the attackers used something besides portals to break the emplacement.

Portals are neither inventive nor difficult to execute, but due to their relative efficiency they stifle innovation. Why organize squad training, formations, and movement patterns when you can just yell at everyone to stand on a circle and press F, and get more out of it? If you remove them or modify them substantially, what you’ll find is actually a wider gap in effectiveness between organized groups and disorganized ones. Even a PUG can press F.

Leader of Valor [RUN]
Kaineng
Apply Now: http://www.valorguild.org

(edited by Jacbo.7598)

in WvW

Handin.4032

I honestly doubt that if you got rid of the mesmer portals we’d all of a start seeing lots of things like squad formations, etc…it would still be the mindless zerging, but you might just get a bunch more thieves around abusing culling, or more elementalists, more warriors, etc.. There are quite a few situations where mesmer portals don’t do much good, and people still just mindless zerg it, or stand in front of a door smacking their heads against it. Yes, that might happen in well trained guilds, but there is still a massive PuG element which would just find the next “thing” and use that. Then people would whine, it would get nerfed, and they would switch to the new thing. It happens in every game I have played where is there is a WvW like game play (i.e. not just small squad pvp, and even in there it happens!)

Mesmer – FURY

in WvW

Jacbo.7598

You’re correct that we won’t see everyone immediately refine their movement and tactics, and PUG zergs as a rule generally are limited to low difficulty plans, but it will present more situations for innovation. I think the example of Hills keep Lord’s Room is a good one. If it’s sieged to the teeth, and the defenders are using area denial and other skills on the choke, it’s pretty hard to faceroll zerg into it. A PUG zerg would get wiped out by a smaller force effectively utilizing their environment, as it should be.

Right now as it stands, I just stand a bit to the side of the choke, have a mesmer place a portal, and just like that everyone is on top of their siege emplacement. Even if the attack fails, irreparable damage is generally done to the efficacy of whatever remains. It’s not gradual, through planning or attrition, but instantaneous. Few keeps really feel like keeps in this game, and part of that has to do with the impact mass teleportation has on negating the effectiveness of well placed and defended siege.

As others have said though, if removal or mechanic changes aren’t desired by ANet, another possible solution is changing how portal is executed, rather than removing it. Currently you can plan to counter people as they come out, but you have little to stop an invisible mesmer from pressing Blink and being inside your formation. If portal was an induction, or it made it so the only skill the Mesmer had access to after placing Enter is Exit, or something similar, it’d make portal placement itself more difficult and counterable, which would also spur innovation (multiple people with the mesmer for stealth/stability/etc needed?). The problem is this still doesn’t solve the keep issue, since when you place the Enter in the keep, you can afford to induct an Exit outside in the comfort of your zerg.

Leader of Valor [RUN]
Kaineng

(edited by Jacbo.7598)

in WvW

Handin.4032

Yeah, so I did say that portals DO need to be balanced. Most of my thread was responding to the fact that they break gameplay because they are so ungodly powerful. There were lots of really nice ideas for modifying portals so that they are more balanced. My favorites so far are:
1. Make the portals have some type of health (5-10k health so that 1-2 people can target and take it out)
2. Allow mesmers to have a skill to backtrace and use it against them! MUAHAHA
3. Let them have a chance to fail (a guildmate said that like have a 10% chance that it sends you to the wrong place, and a 1-5% chance that the portal sends EVERYONE to a wrong place, and maybe a 10-25% chance that it works in reverse instead)
4. Make it as an elite level skill with a similar level if cooldown. That way, mesmers can still use it, but groups/commanders have to be more wise about when they want to use it.

Mesmer – FURY

in WvW

Posted by: Drederik.5679

Drederik.5679

first off i would like to point out that my main is a mesmer and i find it hard to play other classes, i just love the mechanics behind the class itself.

at first, i agreed here. i felt that it was overpowered and that it would be nerfed almost immediately. i very seldom feel overpowered but i didn’t even have the feeling that something bad was coming with a soon to be complained about patch. then it didn’t happen. at first i was confused but then i think i realized why.

in an organized group defending a camp next to a spawn in a recent wvw heavy night for me, i realized why i no longer feel this way. we were defending and saw a mesmer drop his first portal. he came down the hill and popped his invisibility skills and tried to throw a portal behind us. no more than 8 of us followed a very large purple disc on the ground and when a horde of people started showing on the screen, they were completely annihilated by mass aoe. we must have downed 30 players in the matter of seconds.

the point of this isn’t that its overpowered and needs to be nerfed to 5 or even 10 uses, its that people need to work together and learn how to counter it. if you look at it this way, its like rounding up a mass of player (the more the better) and putting them in one nice spot for the aoe to hit every one. imagine 5 players’ aoe and trying to live through it. not going to happen.

im not trying to give a huge L2P speech, but learn some coordination, teamwork, awareness and a little anticipation and this skill will just be another tool and not an OP skill worth a nerf

in WvW

Jacbo.7598

@ Handin: Yeah just to be clear, I’m just airing ideas for what I think can be done vis a vis portal to improve the meta and make it more interesting. Wasn’t suggesting you’re a portal apologist or something! :P

1. is an interesting idea, but if it only became targetable when others could already go through it, then for the most part it wouldn’t change how portals are used by semi-organized groups.

2. not sure what you mean. It would be interesting if a Mesmer who placed an Enter left a particle effect trail, similar to how Necros look during Spectral Walk, that could be seen through stealth, possibly as a supplement to other ideas.

3. would be pretty hilarious, but I don’t think it’d be very friendly to its PvE uses. It’d also be pretty hard to implement I would think, since the game would need to generate other potential coordinates and may throw people into walls. The odds of actually landing at a disadvantageous spot, when the game doesn’t know how to determine that, are also pretty low, so people would still use them. Another possibility is having a chance to take damage or get downed from using it.

4. would only really change the efficacy of long portal chains with golems. If anything it’d be a nerf to Time Warp since less people would have it on at a given time.

But yeah they’re inventive ideas, along with others like color coding portals. Hopefully ANet does something to refine the skill and bring it more in line with other skills.

@ Drederik: This is true in some cases, but bear in mind that with culling and particle effect spam in larger fights than the one you indicate, it’s not so simple as everyone being able to trace it. Thus you need to call where it’s at and have people converge, and by the time that happens a good group should know to spread out, since stacking at the portal exit no longer works. But again, you’re right, there are lots of ways to counter it, I just find it boring as the primary focus of the current meta.

Leader of Valor [RUN]
Kaineng

(edited by Jacbo.7598)

in WvW

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Fixing portal bombs is easy:

• Lower the CD back to what it was (it was fine).
  • Put a limit on how many players each portal will teleport (ex., max 5 teleports, then it disappears).

If well organised teams want to teleport more players, can can still do it with multiple mesmers, but this would put an end to 1 mesmer = 40 (often invisible) players spawning somehwere.

- Al Zheimer

in WvW

Posted by: Drederik.5679

Drederik.5679

@jacbo: i understand your point and it is valid. i wouldn’t even be upset about a slight adjustment such as a 4 second cast time making the countering a little easier on the defending team. i think the point im trying to make here is that lots of the community who dont want to be coordinated and play smarter think this is a grossly overpowered skill that is “ruining the game” and i just do not see it that way at all.

powerful, yes. game changer, yes if defended incorrectly. game ruining, no

in WvW

Posted by: AlecFair.1270

AlecFair.1270

I have nothing against portals since every class has to have something useful on them. Take portal away from Mesmers they will just be running around throwing mirrors at us while whining on the forums on how mad they are about their class is nerfed. High Tiered Server Commanders leaving servers to lower tiered servers does not mean portals are the main thing thats got them wiggin out they might have gotten tired of so many easy wins, the influx of xfers from low tired players wanting more easy wins, or wanting more of a challenge out of WvW, those are more of a possible cause than just a single classes ability.

I really never seen Mesmers do anything outside of the jump puzzles when I was in the low tiered server I was in (not mentioning for prevention of bashing). Then going to my friends higher tiered server have I actually seen Mesmers do the portal bombing and transport stuff and seen both ends of it. Defending against it, not that hard when you have someone notifying everyone and the group directs their AoE over the portal exit. Getting it set up to do it is a little more challenging depending on the server. I have hardly seen any other low tiered servers do it since organizing in most servers around the 4 low tier brackets are like directing a group of broke neck chickens into the pen.

Maybe the portal could be nerfed, or maybe it could just be fixed after every other problem is fixed. Whatever happens there will more or less be more topics about the portal that are all the same dance when it comes to the whole mmo tango in PvP.

Of course thats just my opinion I could be wrong.

Tarnished Coast – Got mah Toast on. :V
Tizzle Mindwrack – Crazy Asura Lore Keeper of [AARM]

in WvW

Posted by: Tentacle Love.3412

Tentacle Love.3412

Prior to the discovery of portal bombing, I distinctly remember being in a group of 30 players that was completely and totally wiped out by 40 invisible players. I could not see these players until after I was downed and then defeated.

HOW is this the fault of portals?

You take away portal bombing at all, you restrict it like this, you’re going to end up going right back to culling being the only problem. You want to fix culling but you’re pointing at portals.

Fix the exploits, not the skills that work as intended and actually contribute to group strategy. I don’t want to go back to roving groups of 40 players murdering everything in their path by spamming their 1 button and moving forward. That would not be progress.

in WvW

Posted by: Gospel.7630

Gospel.7630

My Opinion has Changed.

Jade Quarry

(edited by Gospel.7630)

in WvW

Posted by: Gospel.7630

Gospel.7630

Prior to the discovery of portal bombing, I distinctly remember being in a group of 30 players that was completely and totally wiped out by 40 invisible players. I could not see these players until after I was downed and then defeated.

You take away portal bombing at all, you restrict it like this, you’re going to end up going right back to culling being the only problem. You want to fix culling but you’re pointing at portals.

Fix the exploits, not the skills that work as intended and actually contribute to group strategy. I don’t want to go back to roving groups of 40 players murdering everything in their path by spamming their 1 button and moving forward. That would not be progress.

My Opinion has Changed.

Jade Quarry

(edited by Gospel.7630)

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

The simplest fix to portals was deducted in yet another thread talking about portals in WvW.

Simply: only mesmer herself move through her portal.

Fixes: must-have mesmers in team, culling issue with portal bomb, confusion which side a portal belongs to, mesmer hide-in-keep slavery, mesmer elevator slavery in jumping puzzles, instantly travelling golem armies

Pros: much simpler than any other suggestion, mesmers can keep their escape mechanism

Cons: portal bomb tactic no longer available

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

Why do you guys make it sound like you want to spend 3 hours afk with a paperweight on your 1 just so you can capture a supply camp.

in WvW

Posted by: Tentacle Love.3412

Tentacle Love.3412

You don’t want to go back to doing what? So you’re telling me that After your portal bomb you don’t rove with a group of 40+ people murdering everything in their path by spamming their 1 button and moving forward? I thought that was all there is left to do after bypassing reinforced gates, arrow carts and Ballistas.

The nerve of some people.

Yes, the nerve of me.

Nerfing portal will not solve your problem.

That much is clear, but you don’t give a kitten because you’re upset that someone pulled a portal bomb on you one too many times.

Guess what? In real life those walls don’t mean jack kitten either. Ever heard of the Maginot Line? The Great Wall of China? The walls of Jericho? THE wall?

Surprise surprise, turns out that every story of someone NOT tearing down or going around a wall isn’t very eventful! or exciting!

Take away the strategy of sneaking through a fortification, and you end up with some very boring combat.

Oh, I can understand you not liking the strategy because after all, you’re not a mesmer. Why SHOULD you care?

When you ask for nerfs like this you need to show proof that after the nerf, it isn’t going to be worse. And you can’t, because taking away portal will NOT stop, slow down, or inconvenience the problem of 40 man armies marching across the battlefield completely invisible. It won’t increase the strategic options of anyone, and it won’t make wvw more fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Fiction.6418

Fiction.6418

In this thread Mesmers say it is all thieves exploiting culling and thieves say it is all mesmers… continue. I hate culling.

Evidence – 80Asura Thief | Skáldskap 80Human Guardian | Pirateking 80Human Mesmer
Pvp Inc. [PvP]
Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Centrix.4065

Centrix.4065

I don’t think portals are the main issue here, but culling. The problem with portals is that when a group comes through it, you don’t see them. From your point of view you get killed all of a sudden, but in reality the enemy has been there for 3-5 seconds already. Enough time to respond.

I say fix culling first, before breaking stuff you think you’re fixing, because I’ve been on both sides of a portal attack and from both sides I don’t see any problems with it. After a wipe I don’t think “stupid portals, weh weh weh”, but “oh dayum, should’ve seen that coming”.

You CAN counter portal attacks, it’s just that the whole group you’re with basically has to respond fast :P (or see the enemy group standing on a portal entry, then atleast you have time to announce an incoming on vent/ts)

And to end this with the 2 most lovable words:

PORTAL INCOMING!!!!!!!

Lv.80 Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Thief
[VII] Seventh Legion | http://twitch.tv/censtudios

(edited by Centrix.4065)

in WvW

Posted by: Saraneth.6021

Saraneth.6021

Seriously. People are just mad and they look for something to blame.
Everyone else is blaming portals so I might just do that too.

“Waaahhh, portal OP. Nerf them.” Yay, I am part of the group now.

Also, this whole BS able only party members being able to use the portal goes against what Anet wanted this game to be. If this is the case then make it so no support skills work on anyone unless they are in your party.

in WvW

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

The problem here is that people aren’t playing world vs. world as intended.

They roll around in WvW solo in their PvE gear, following some dude with an icon, and they think that’s what WvW is about. It isn’t. You’re just a zergling chasing a carrot, and any form of coordination will beat you.

Removing things like portals is just one more step towards turning this game into zerg vs. zerg, and that, my friend, is when the hardcore people will truly leave.

Face it, you roll around solo, you’re going to get your face slapped all over the map. Deal with it, or do the sensible thing and join a coordinated WvW guild and start playing WvW the way it was meant to be played. It’s like realizing all along you’ve been riding a bicycle race without a bike.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

in WvW

Posted by: Saraneth.6021

Saraneth.6021

Well yeah… we are supposed to be in WvW with our PvE gear. Working as intended.

in WvW

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

Well yeah… we are supposed to be in WvW with our PvE gear. Working as intended.

Don’t play dumb, you know what I mean.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

in WvW

Posted by: Esoteric.5490

Esoteric.5490

I pray that this cesspool of crying and little kiddies trying to swing the nerf bat for the first time doesn’t influence any future decision made by Anet.

Culling is the problem. They are working to fix it, but engine changes aren’t that simple. Think you can solve the culling problem? Please, try coding.

Portals only bypass gates and walls if you let the mesmer survive on the other side of the wall. Sounds like some shotty defense to me. Additionally, the fixes being proposed here are all designed to make portals essentially useless because you all can’t figure out how to counter a counterable strategy. ANet only increased the cooldown for a reason. I thank God that the individuals asking for nerfs are not developers. The sort of carebear attitude portrayed by people that want everything that is marginally effective to be nerfed is just sickening. I forgot how entitled and incompetent everyone is. Jeez.

Blackgate Forever,
Riven – [KnT] GM – http://KnightGaming.enjin.com
Commander – Grand General of Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

If you’re asking for a portal/stealth change due to culling then you’re doing it wrong. Fix culling then recheck and see if any change is needed.

As for portal bombing, look for portals and learn how to counter it. If you’re unable to do so then I’m very sorry.

Last time I checked professions aren’t supposed to be balanced so please stop crying about it, it’s getting old. Each one is different and has it’s pro’s and cons. Learn them before you complain.

This thread is just sad.

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Every problem I have with portals is a consequence of some other real problem. Culling is an issue on it’s own (and it’s also the biggest issue for WvW with or without portals). Hacking and exploiting into keeps is an issue on it’s own. Fix those two things and you’ve fixed the biggest arguments against portals (which aren’t really issues with portals themselves).

WvW is a very tactical game. Hiding a mesmer in a location (sometimes for over an hour) so they can portal you in at an oportune time is and incredibly exciting feature. Getting golems across a map through portal bridging is a reward for good co-ordination (and an incentive for good WvW guilds to have scouts paying attention to important control points so you can react to ninja caps). It’s completely fair and rewards organised and co-ordinated play – the kind of thing we should encourage in WvW.

I love portals in WvW, it sucks seeing your keep get ninja’d because you missed the mesmer, but portals can become clutch plays in WvW and the entire group benefits from them. It’s not like the mesmer alone has some kind of powerful skill that lets them one shot armies, a portal is only as good as the people that use it. It’s a very powerful tool that makes WvW so much more exciting that it otherwise might be.

Edit: Why is IMO being added to thread titles all over the forum? This is a forum, almost everything here is an opinion. It’s not necessary to title threads as such.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in WvW

Posted by: Axle.5182

Axle.5182

Solution is don’t change portals there only targeted as a means for people to express their frustration about WvW in general and without portal the same people will only come back here moaning about something that they don’t like that has developed from a lack of portals it’s a no win situation.

Without portals the whole system everyone is used to in WvW will change many will not thank you for that and it very well could tip the balance towards ruining WvW for those who don’t run zergs.

Axle
[AFTL] Afterlife Sanctum of Rall
http://www.afterlife-gaming.eu

in WvW

Posted by: Kyton.3815

Kyton.3815

My main dislike of portals is because it makes one class much more useful to groups than any other class. Portals in conjunction with golem + timewarp are extremely powerful and make doors melt so fast there is almost no response possible from the enemy unless a huge defending force was already in place.

With the recent stealth preventing capture fix removing my complaint about thieves, the only other non-mesmer class I hate in WvW is Elementalists for their “can jump down and aoe everything → die → mist form back inside door” and ability to Staff 5 AOE almost all siege placed anywhere on a wall….making defense even harder.

If portals aren’t fixed in some manner by restricting its use to less numbers or cast time or unable to place in stealth, then I would like to see similarly overly useful and feared utility abilities handed out to other classes. Better start sweeping keeps for engineers….they have that long cooldown utility that lets them channel a 30s cast that completely destroys a wall from the inside no matter how much hp it had! Better call out incoming Necromancers since they can do some “soul link” ability that gives them a 15s aura with 200 yrd range that does 1000 points of damage/second * how many allies were near them when they used it (maybe capped at 40 so only 40k dmg/s). It’d be balanced because Necros can’t stealth or have stability so you can just focus them down or root/knock them back, right?

In seriousness though, I’ve never seen any WvW chat where people said to “look out/sweep for class X” where X wasn’t “mesmer”.

in WvW

Posted by: iorlas.6721

iorlas.6721

To all you portal bomb supporters. What’s the point in upgrading walls and gates if I can port a Zerg pass all that? The only thing stopping the majority of people using portal bombs 100% of the time is most of us at this point look down upon it. If ArenaNet takes too long to fix this to the point where this moral code is seen to be more a negative than a positive? Don’t waste coin on upgrades because it’s ON FOOL!.

You do know that the mesmer has to be inside or on the walls to be able to port anyone in? it takes a fair time to upgrade doors and walls so if you’re going to hang around and wait you should spend the time sweeping for a mesmer.If you’re all going to move out and then come back to start another upgrade later… as soon as everyone has left i will call in the zerg.There’s no way i will wait for you to finish upgrading.People really need to stop trying to make it look like mesmers can port THROUGH walls and doors.(not talking hacks/cheats).
At most you wasted a few silver.

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Add a channel effect to the placement of the exit portal (which breaks stealth) and the subsequent usage of the entrance node similar to the channel time for using a skill point node. This would be the first step in balancing the skill without removing it completely.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Posted by: brunohstein.9038

brunohstein.9038

The problem with portals is that the game can’t handle the 2321421 players appearing in one place at the same time. I actually think that capping the portal to the maximum of 10 players would be a good change. Portals would remain useful, teleporting golems or players to critical positions.

in WvW

waeren.9743

The problem with portals is that the game can’t handle the 2321421 players appearing in one place at the same time. I actually think that capping the portal to the maximum of 10 players would be a good change. Portals would remain useful, teleporting golems or players to critical positions.

So instead of fixing the actual bug you want to change something entirely different. Good job.

in WvW

brunohstein.9038

So instead of fixing the actual bug you want to change something entirely different. Good job.

I actually think the game won’t ever be able to handle gracefully those 50 players rendering at the same spot at the same time.

in WvW

Posted by: Voxel.6473

Voxel.6473

Porting a large amount of players into a new location instantly during a large scale battle is causing lag, slowing computer performance ,and adds to the culling issues.
As long as the Mesmer portals stay as are, ANET will never be able to fix these problems for everyone. This is an online game where many people are playing from all over the world, all with different computer hardware etc..
It also breaks combat enjoyment. Wv3 has turned into PORTAL BOMBING saves the day. It always happens in T1. Usually the victory is caused by forcing lag / depending. You guys know it’s true. It’s just like trying to force all three servers into the center castle. LAG and performance drops considerably, no matter what kind of hardware / network you have. I praise ANET for attempting it at the levels they have tried. But I would ditch it in a heartbeat.

in WvW

waeren.9743

I actually think the game won’t ever be able to handle gracefully those 50 players rendering at the same spot at the same time.

If that would be the case then large scale WvW in general is pointless, even when just running around you can have serious culling. So you want to cap zones at 15 people per server since the game can’t handle 50 people in one location?

If you want a portal change then fine but you can’t be serious and give culling as the reason.

in WvW

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

To all you portal bomb supporters. What’s the point in upgrading walls and gates if I can port a Zerg pass all that?

You CANNOT portal past intact walls UNLESS you have had a mesmer hidden in your keep when you captured it (your fault) or the mesmer glitched his way in.

If you prevent (a) by sweeping and ANet fixes the mthods by which (b) can be employed upgrading walls does make sense because there’s no way the enemy can portal in unless there’s a breach.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

in WvW

brunohstein.9038

If that would be the case then large scale WvW in general is pointless, even when just running around you can have serious culling. So you want to cap zones at 15 people per server since the game can’t handle 50 people in one location?

If you want a portal change then fine but you can’t be serious and give culling as the reason.

Culling is just one reason.

Don’t you think capping it to 10 players would make organized team play even more important? You would need more than one mesmer working in cooperation to teleport a whole zerg.

You would probably have more field battles in which both servers are actually seeing each other.

I don’t see one single good reason to let it as it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Im starting to believe many here do think mesmer can just drop a portal and people appear!…

Who let the mesmer enter?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

waeren.9743

Don’t you think capping it to 10 players would make organized team play even more important? You would need more than one mesmer working in cooperation to teleport a whole zerg.

You would probably have more field battles in which both servers are actually seeing each other.

Culling is not a reason as explained. Either the engine gets fixed or it stays as it is now and there’s culling everywhere. (organizing multiple portals at the same time would still lead to culling)

So your only reason is not valid. Where are your actual points? Or is it just another whine post?

(edited by waeren.9743)

in WvW

Posted by: Voxel.6473

Voxel.6473

Im starting to believe many here do think mesmer can just drop a portal and people appear!…

Laying portals are easy. Lay down the start portal, run to your location, then lay down the end portal… and everyone that clicks on the start portal, goes through. It will even glow to let everyone know it’s linked and ready. There’s nothing hard about doing this. It’s even easier when you use stealth. I have a Mesmer.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Laying portals are easy. Lay down the start portal, run to your location, then lay down the end portal… and everyone that clicks on the start portal, goes through. It will even glow to let everyone know it’s linked and ready. There’s nothing hard about doing this. It’s even easier when you use stealth. I have a Mesmer.

my point was about the time you deploy the 2nd portal, if the mesmer can deploy the portal is becouse the defending team is not doing its job.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

brunohstein.9038

Culling is not a reason as explained. Either the engine gets fixed or it stays as it is now and there’s culling everywhere. (organizing multiple portals at the same time would still lead to culling)

So your only reason is not valid. Where are your actual points? Or is it just another whine post?

Culling is one big issue, but I don’t see any good improve on that coming. Seriously, I’m just trying to think in the options. I’m not whining here for a mesmer nerf. I just want the WvW to be funnier. I thought everyone here wanted that.

I really don’t know why mesmers are even seeing it as a nerf. Portal is a group skill, it will continue to be that. You will continue to teleport your group. Mesmers will not be weaker. You will only need more mesmers to teleport big groups.

in WvW

Posted by: kokabel.5728

kokabel.5728

The point that was raised that I think was the most fair is that no other class can really do anything similar, so the Mesmer has become something people specifically want over other classes – which goes against the whole design philosophy, I believe.

Perhaps a quick fix could be that the Portal can only move a set number of people (say 5), after those first 5 charges are used up by the first 5 people who get into range and travel, the portal shuts down. The problem is not so much in the mechanic of the skill, but in the numbers of the skill – there ought to be a reasonable limit on how many can rush through one portal. One mesmer ought not be able to move entire zergs up into an otherwise protected area. The current timing limit doesn’t really do much, clearly.

Oh, somehow missed the post suggesting the same thing. My browser is being funny, sorry!

in WvW

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Simple fix for portal bombing..

Limit the number of players that can use it much like they limit AoE/shouts whatever and just limit it to 5 people…

For example only the mesmer and his party members can use that portal.

in WvW

waeren.9743

Culling is one big issue, but I don’t see any good improve on that coming. Seriously, I’m just trying to think in the options. I’m not whining here for a mesmer nerf. I just want the WvW to be funnier. I thought everyone here wanted that.

I really don’t know why mesmers are even seeing it as a nerf. Portal is a group skill, it will continue to be that. You will continue to teleport your group. Mesmers will not be weaker. You will only need more mesmers to teleport big groups.

Ok, so you don’t have any reasons except for personal preference and what you think is “fun”. Thanks for finally making that clear.

Personally I’m having fun with the way it is now and so are other people.

Also I don’t play a mesmer.

in WvW

brunohstein.9038

Ok, so you don’t have any reasons except for personal preference and what you think is “fun”. Thanks for finally making that clear.

Personally I’m having fun with the way it is now and so are other people.

Also I don’t play a mesmer.

Having all your team killed by a whole zerg you only see after dead is really funny, indeed.

Capping the portal would improve organized team play, balance the class (the portal would remain useful, but not a must-to-win) and decrease the culling problem.

Give me reasons to let it as it is, please.