Let's Start It - WvW 5 man Roaming

in WvW

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

This is the kind of action I’d LOVE to see.

Reminiscent of the roaming 8v8’s in DAoC.
Is there any support out there to start up some roaming 5’s groups out in wvw?

Personally I would find wvw SO much more enjoyable if people Started to do this as opposed to the “zerg” thing. Imagine if your server pairings all did this.

There would easily be some 30-50 5 man groups of each faction zigzagging around the map in awesome small scale skirmishes.

Maybe its just me. But if anyone likes this idea hit me up in game. (looking to put together a 5 man crew)

in WvW

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

There are already roaming 5 man groups. If you want it, you’re going to have to take the matter into your own hand and get at it. Supply camps, sentry points, dolyaks. You can do a lot with just five men, I rolled in a 5 man group and wrecked hell on the enemy supply routes. It is also pretty rewarding if you do it right.

Also you never listed your server which makes it hard to set something like that up.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

in WvW

Posted by: cold.3946

cold.3946

This has been going on for ages in tier 1. We call them havoc squads.

Keg – 80 Guardian | Mini Keg – 80 Mesmer
Strike Force [SF] Stormbluff Isle
www.strikeforceguild.com

in WvW

Posted by: Hymnosi.5928

Hymnosi.5928

4 man squads are better

no swords, no notification. no notification, your cards aren’t tipped.

Hymnosi – Lv80 Engineer
Commander of Phantom Core [CORE] on Borlis Pass

in WvW

Rehk.6574

Ah cool, good to hear theres more people out there doing this.

I am on northern shiverpeaks by the way.

Hope to see some of you guys on the field.

in WvW

Posted by: mystaquetz.1746

mystaquetz.1746

Not as much fun as DAoC.

Since it’s hard to tell who is who, you don’t know who you’re killing or who killed you.

And that was the whole point of DAoC’s beat squads. Ego.

Cell Two
The Assassin’s Clan (TAC)
Ebay

in WvW

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

I agree, My, though I never played that game. In Warhammer we had a lot of guild vs guild hate going on and it lead to intense battles.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

in WvW

Rehk.6574

Not as much fun as DAoC.

Since it’s hard to tell who is who, you don’t know who you’re killing or who killed you.

And that was the whole point of DAoC’s beat squads. Ego.

maybe thats something that can be implemented then. Telling you who killed you in the combat log.

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I’ve seen this topic a number of times of this forum, and it’s always the same response. “Just go take supply camps for small scale fights!” Most of the people here don’t have any idea what roaming pvp is, and they probably never will.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I also fing zergs less rewarding and a far less exciting form of play. You cant argue with its effectivness though and thats all that matters. untill the gameplay alters to promote smaller groups, zerging will be the method of the day.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

My guild is always sending out roaming 5 man groups

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

My guild is always sending out roaming 5 man groups

I remember running into your TOG dagger squad. Two Good thieves with a necromancer and warrior if I remember correctly.

We have our own on SoR, a mix of Thieves, Warriors, Mesmers. Great for taking undefended keeps without crossed swords.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

in WvW

Posted by: shkabo.4856

shkabo.4856

Well in my guild, we mostly do that .. roam over the map, kill small groups of enemies, cap points and contribute to our zerg teams. In some situations we tag along w/ zerg for faster cap, or even make diversion for capping other fortress so that enemy team has to split their defense.
Well organized 5 mans can turn the tides of a battle

Shkaboo [JuG]
Support/Controll Guardian
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Mirage.2597

Mirage.2597

DAoC 8 man was all about who had the best/fastest sorc outfront

in WvW

Posted by: Fraeg.9837

Fraeg.9837

except for the fact that there were two entire realms that did not have Sorcs…

Wyverz – Asura – Mesmer
Xynobia – Asura – Necro
|Gnaw| |BB| |dO| |SOUL| – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Mirage.2597

Mirage.2597

Right , think I ment who got the mez off first

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I wanna see 100 vs 100 real men fights. Not some silly wannabe sPvP fights.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Truebanana.5936

Truebanana.5936

Like the 500vs500 fight in Aion with everybody on shift+F12

Truebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist on Augury Rock
Dolcebanana [Opt] Solo roaming D/F Elementalist twink lvl 60 on Augury Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xj7suly_U

in WvW

Posted by: Thorvald.5432

Thorvald.5432

5 man squad is wrong (cannot handle zerg). 10 man squad is the “DAoC” formation !

Invaders [Inv] – Vizunah Square

in WvW

Posted by: Umeil.5384

Umeil.5384

Never going to happen mate. Maps are way too small for it to happen and it just too plain easy to run with the zerg as you can get all over in pretty much enough time to make smaller squads pretty obsolete.

in WvW

Posted by: Fiction.6418

Fiction.6418

I always run in 2-10 man squads, we never seem to have an issue with zergs “unless we want one” and we do a very good job and denying supply , flipping camps and killing any group at or less than 3x our size . I think more people should look into not relying on numbers and spread out your servers effectiveness .

Evidence – 80Asura Thief | Skáldskap 80Human Guardian | Pirateking 80Human Mesmer
Pvp Inc. [PvP]
Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Only at the noob level. At mid to high levels, landing first mes makes no difference.

downed state is bad for PVP

in WvW

Posted by: Luffy.9365

Luffy.9365

L2 style, 9vs9 epic fights…….with names and chat available!!!Names and chat could be a very good future in thing;)

[VcY]Velocity – Snowfang/Luffy D Portgas/Bagif

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

I used to run 5 man thief glass cannon squads before I switched to mesmer.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: DavidMonthen.4398

DavidMonthen.4398

Everyone has been doing this for weeks? What the hell is the point of this thread? ^^

Commander – Kaargoth Bloodsteel
Gunnars Hold – [RUN]
www.run-guild.com

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

What I’d like to see is better 4 or 5 man make-ups instead of basically guild pug’s. I don’t think WvW has matured to really look at the make-up of small teams and how 2 or 3 of these teams can split and collapse together working in the same area of the map yet because the zerg is over powering.

I’m still waiting to see a zerg bust out in about 100 hounds of balthazar.

in WvW

Posted by: Virt.4203

Virt.4203

Hey everyone,

Our guild does the same, we rarely fill 2 full squads so we generally will have a 5-8 man group running, roaming and capturing the opposite side of the map that our zerg is. I agree heavily that this is so much more fun. More often than not you run into a challenge and it’s up to your small group to quickly problem solve and use the terrain to your advantage..things that a large zerg doesn’t typically worry about as frequently I’d say .

-Guild: TRx
-Server: Ferg Crossing

Ozzy / Corona
80 Mesmer, 80 Warrior, 80 Guardian
[TRx] – Ferg Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

As someone that loves WvW, but hates zerging, I do this as often as possible. Usually I run around solo and get beat up a lot. When I can get a few guildies in on it, it becomes much more fun.

Usually we flip camps or just kill dolyaks, but sometimes we do well just waiting on other small groups to come flip one of our camps and get a good 3vs3 or something going. It’s the most fun I’ve had in-game yet. It’s got the small group feel of sPvP, but it’s far less structured and more unpredictable.

in WvW

Posted by: Alsonia.4753

Alsonia.4753

There are already roaming 5 man groups. If you want it, you’re going to have to take the matter into your own hand and get at it. Supply camps, sentry points, dolyaks. You can do a lot with just five men, I rolled in a 5 man group and wrecked hell on the enemy supply routes. It is also pretty rewarding if you do it right.

Also you never listed your server which makes it hard to set something like that up.

My guild is designed around this; 5-10 highly skilled PvP players roaming taking camps/assassinating yaks playing quick response defense/offense.

We’re basically a special force team; we don’t run the map we cooperate within the map; small groups are very successful if you coordinate with the big group.

Gloria Taril | Guardian of [ICoa]
Repping Beastgate since day 1.

in WvW

mystaquetz.1746

Spoken like a true as… I mean Alb.

I don’t doubt there are players doing this beat squad stuff right now. I was only pointing out that most players in DAoC did it for ego. Seeing “XXXXX was just killed by ZZZZZ!” on your chat log in realm appropriate color (for who did the killing) was what it was all about. You got to know the names, not only of your realmmates but also the enemy. Their title was over their head: “Norse Flammen Herra” or “Saracen Warder” (Their [Realm Race] [Title Rank]). But when you clicked on them, you could see chat message “You target Riddick”. It made it much more personal, whether killing, being killed by, running from, or hunting them. A simple glance at the titles over their heads would also let you know what type of fight you were going to be dealing with. Tangling with an Emerald Rider or a Einherjar meant a tough battle. A Myrmidon or Brehon, not so much.

WvW in GW2 is near completely anonymous. All the bad guys look the same. Hell, all the good guys look the same and are nearly indistinguishable. Clicking on them tells you almost nothing about who they are.

Cell Two
Ebay

(edited by mystaquetz.1746)

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Is that speaking from experience? Mirage from Pellinor?

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

Spoken like a true as… I mean Alb.

I don’t doubt there are players doing this beat squad stuff right now. I was only pointing out that most players in DAoC did it for ego. Seeing “XXXXX was just killed by ZZZZZ!” on your chat log in realm appropriate color (for who did the killing) was what it was all about. You got to know the names, not only of your realmmates but also the enemy. Their title was over their head: “Norse Flammen Herra” or “Saracen Warder” (Their [Realm Race] [Title Rank]). But when you clicked on them, you could see chat message “You target Riddick”. It made it much more personal, whether killing, being killed by, running from, or hunting them. A simple glance at the titles over their heads would also let you know what type of fight you were going to be dealing with. Tangling with an Emerald Rider or a Einherjar meant a tough battle. A Myrmidon or Brehon, not so much.

WvW in GW2 is near completely anonymous. All the bad guys look the same. Hell, all the good guys look the same and are nearly indistinguishable. Clicking on them tells you almost nothing about who they are.

Pet peeve of mine, here. Combine it with a near constant rotating server lineup means you have no clue who your enemies are ever. I want to know who the really awesome guilds are in WvW. I want to know which guy just ganked me for the 5th time in a row. I want to quake in my boots when a 5-10 man group of “Super Awesome Title Here” players crests a hill and commences to beating the pulp out of our PUG.

It’s not a game-breaker, but it’s certainly something I miss.

in WvW

mystaquetz.1746

Pet peeve of mine, here. Combine it with a near constant rotating server lineup means you have no clue who your enemies are ever. I want to know who the really awesome guilds are in WvW. I want to know which guy just ganked me for the 5th time in a row. I want to quake in my boots when a 5-10 man group of “Super Awesome Title Here” players crests a hill and commences to beating the pulp out of our PUG.

It’s not a game-breaker, but it’s certainly something I miss.

It really is. The anonymity stuff works fine in say a single-player RPG. But the whole point of playing online in a multiplayer affair is to interact with other people.

It’s sort of hard to do that when enemies are filling the role of nameless, faceless, bad ninjas in a kung-fu flick.

Cell Two
Ebay