Maths on WvW titles inside

in WvW

Posted by: Rambodacious.7495

Rambodacious.7495

Some of the titles in WvW seem impossible to obtain. Let me give you a couple of examples:

In order to obtain the title Ultimate Interceptor in WvW, you need 1,000,000 Dolyak murders. (Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Title).

The maths:

Assuming you played every single day for six years, and I do mean every single day, never taking a day off for birthdays, vacations, Christmas etc. You take 6 years times 365 days =

2190 days

Now we take 1,000,000 and divide it by 2190 to see how many dolyak murders someone needs every single day for six years to obtain this title:

That’s all guys, just 456 (rounding down)Yak murders every single day, without fail. Now, let’s see how long that would take if I make the math extremely easy.

Here’s another:

Ultimate Fabricator needs 2.5 million supply used. Let’s assume someone has permanent access to a supply camp with 15 supply instead of the normal 10. So, 2.5 million divided by 15 is the number of times he needs to grab 15 supply and use all of it:

166,666 times he needs to grab and completely use 15 supply from an upgraded camp. Let’s shove that in our six years of every single day play and we get =

76 of those every single day without fail. He is the buildenest fool I ever did see! Don’t fight anyone and remove all run time to your build area, 76 times a day. Good luck! It’s 114 complete build uses for the 10 supply by the way, every single day, for six years.

Seriously, fix this. It shouldn’t take six years to get anything in this game. These titles should not be easy to acquire, but the numbers for the majority of these titles is absurd.

I’m sure some people will say, I don’t play for titles, that’s fine. However, there’s no reason to even have titles in the game if they’re not realistically obtainable by ANYONE in the populace within a 10 year time-frame. It should take around 4-5 months of effort to obtain the majority of these titles. Never more.

- Muke Muscleshell
- Potluck Massacre [PLUM]
- Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: stereoblind.4736

stereoblind.4736

Never noticed honestly but that is pretty crazy. Add “has no idea how to get titles” to the only a WvW player thread and that’s my contribution.

in WvW

Posted by: ElDudemeister.5108

ElDudemeister.5108

I don’t know if I want all my servers WvW people to drop out of WvW just because they finished the title. We’d be wrapping up about now.

ArenaNet thought this one through. IMO, the math proves out the soundness of their decision … people who stop playing once they have the titles complete will be coming back to WvW for the next 10 years or so. That’s great news!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It does seem a little excessive.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the WvW titles are still relics from early development days. They probably never got around to updating them to an achievable level.

Even cutting those numbers by 10 would still mean somebody would need an extreme amount of dedication and time to achieve them.

I expect they’ll be updated eventually.

in WvW

Posted by: Yourself.6870

Yourself.6870

I don’t know if I want all my servers WvW people to drop out of WvW just because they finished the title. We’d be wrapping up about now.

ArenaNet thought this one through. IMO, the math proves out the soundness of their decision … people who stop playing once they have the titles complete will be coming back to WvW for the next 10 years or so. That’s great news!!!

You are assuming that the majority of WvW players is simply there to get the titles, whereas the majority is there to play WvW – any potential titles are just a nice side effect to these people. I doubt that a lot of people play WvW solely for the titles, especially since they are so hard to achieve for a hardcore player, and impossible for a casual.

Me thinks there will be some fine tuning at some point. Maybe not lowering the requirements, but implementing additional titles as you go through the respective tiers.

To me personally titles are so non-descript and bland, I hardly care about them. The WvW achievements act more or less just as a statistics site for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Rambodacious.7495

Rambodacious.7495

You are assuming that the majority of WvW players is simply there to get the titles, whereas the majority is there to play WvW – any potential titles are just a nice side effect to these people. I doubt that a lot of people play WvW solely for the titles, especially since they are so hard to achieve for a hardcore player, and impossible for a casual.

Me thinks there will be some fine tuning at some point. Maybe not lowering the requirements, but implementing additional titles as you go through the respective tiers.

To me personally titles are so non-descript and bland, I hardly care about them. The WvW achievements act more or less just as a statistics site for me.

Jinx!

- Muke Muscleshell
- Potluck Massacre [PLUM]
- Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Envi.2460

Envi.2460

Dang.. I only killed 455 yaks yesterday, i didnt meet my quota.
LOL that is so ridiculous

Noba/Envi/Ryuoko/Seiya Murasame
Sanctum of Rall Currently guildless sniffle

(edited by Envi.2460)

in WvW

Posted by: Neutro.3079

Neutro.3079

I agree that you should be able to get these titles faster. But well it’s only titles, at the moment having them doesn’t do much anyway, so I would prefer Arenanet working on something else, like culling right now.

in WvW

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

well…. that’s just beyond words.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Dang.. I only killed 455 yaks yesterday, i didnt meet my quota. LOL that is so ridiculous

Get right back in that queue, you can hear them whispering your name in fear.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

in WvW

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I know someone kills ~3000 people in 12 hours.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in WvW

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

Guild wars 2 has been out for what, more than half a year now? According to your theory some hardcore players should have the majority of titles already? What should they look forward to now when there are no more titles to get?

Though I would agree 100% with you if they added tiers to titles (similar to GW1). So you could get a low tier title relatively fast and max one with loads of time/effort spent.

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

What should they look forward to now when there are no more titles to get?

Did anyone even play games before achievements? Seriously.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Lag?

in WvW

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

why lag? I guess others can kill more? I just want to point out that it is not impossible to get one of the titles.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’d have to agree with the idea that those are pre-beta numbers, and just kinda snuck through. Sure, folk are still playing GW1 even now, but – with the state of MMOs at this time – it does seem hella excessive to use numbers that high. Most games are lucky to not have a massive population dieback inside of five years, let alone 10+

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Indigus.9528

Indigus.9528

Just wait for the February patch before you start discussing wvw titles. I am sure all of them are going to be revamped

[FURY]honker
GH

in WvW

Posted by: Indigus.9528

Indigus.9528

Just wait for the February patch before you start discussing wvw titles. I am sure all of them are going to be revamped

Have they said something or you’re guessing?

Just using common sense.
Most of the titles require years to complete by even hardcore players, they are obviously overtuned so i believe wvw achievements will receive a major overhaul.
A few days left since they announce the changes so we will see

[FURY]honker
GH

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Lag?

I’d say Culling… Lag is already old.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Yay I got combat healer XD

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Kagato.4061

Kagato.4061

Guild wars 2 has been out for what, more than half a year now? According to your theory some hardcore players should have the majority of titles already? What should they look forward to now when there are no more titles to get?

Though I would agree 100% with you if they added tiers to titles (similar to GW1). So you could get a low tier title relatively fast and max one with loads of time/effort spent.

Uh, yes. If you’re hardcore enough to play THAT much, then you do deserve the titles. Do you seriously think that a title should require 1,000,000 kills to get? Hell no, not even the most hardcore of players would go for that!

Furthermore, I seriously doubt most WvWers, including me, even play to get the titles. We play in WvW to just have fun, and if titles were easier to get, I doubt that it would harm the numbers in WvW at all… Especially since the players going for the titles are in for more of a grind than getting even a legendary weapon.

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

The titles have the word “Ultimate” in it, so one will need to go insane length to get them

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

I think they should be hard to get (like 1-2 years atleast with mediocre play).
50.000-75.000 dolyaks would be more realistic but still very challaging and rewarding to get.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

I like that there are titles that are crazy hard to get.

Now they just need to add stages and smaller titles along the way.

its fine to have a million dolyak title, but we should have a title for 10, 100, and 1,000, etc.. as well.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: awesomesauce.5980

awesomesauce.5980

If you make a goal too difficult, too far away, too unachievable through normal health means, people won’t make it their goal. I don’t think the number of people who WvW to get these titles would even account for 1% of the WvW population. Losing them would in no way hurt WvW. Dungeons don’t offer titles for repetition, people run them all the time. If the titles were a little bit more friendly to people who seriously work towards them (compare them to the sPvP titles which can be achieved much quicker and have more relevance than the WvW ones – WvW titles favour people who can cap things quickly and repeatedly, competitive WvW involves defending things and towers flip far less often, so you could be a better WvW player on a more competitive server but score less points in your titles because people defend and make it much more difficult to progress these tracks).

If you only WvW for the titles you’d be better off packing your bags and leaving the game now. If the experience isn’t enough for you, I truly don’t understand how the title alone justifies your time.

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

A couple of things. First your math is incorrect because it doesn’t factor in leap years, and there would be at least one in a six year period.

Second, the solution is not to make the titles take less time to achieve, but rather to add intermediate ranks of the titles. It doesn’t matter that the Ultimate Interceptor title will take 1,000,000 yaks to kill when you can be a Novice Interceptor (1000 yaks killed), an Apprentice Interceptor (5000 yaks killed), a Master Interceptor (20000 yaks killed), etc. Take for instance the Rank title in GW1. It has a cap that no player has ever reached since the start of the game, but no one complained about that because you could show people you were rank 6, or 9, or even 13. They need to rework the WvW titles so that there are more intermediate titles in between because that way even if no one ever achieves the Ultimate titles people are still happy showing off the intermediate ones.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: wombat.6123

wombat.6123

A couple of things. First your math is incorrect because it doesn’t factor in leap years, and there would be at least one in a six year period.

Well, you can actually have 7 years straight without a leap year (although I doubt anyone will be playing GW2 when this next occurs).

Wombling Wombat
FA – Protectorate of Aspenwood [PRO]

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

GW98 will be running in 2397. I won’t be around to verify the accuracy of this statement.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

in WvW

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

Uh, yes. If you’re hardcore enough to play THAT much, then you do deserve the titles. Do you seriously think that a title should require 1,000,000 kills to get? Hell no, not even the most hardcore of players would go for that!

Furthermore, I seriously doubt most WvWers, including me, even play to get the titles. We play in WvW to just have fun, and if titles were easier to get, I doubt that it would harm the numbers in WvW at all… Especially since the players going for the titles are in for more of a grind than getting even a legendary weapon.

I play WvW solely for fun as well but sometime along the line I would also like to see that I got a title in WvW.
All I’m trying to say is that with the current system I believe it is OK for a fairly high number (maybe not exactly 1m, but still pretty high). I’m not into achievements and titles at all but would be nice to have them to show off your progress in some aspect fo the game.
That’s exactly why I brought up GW1 title system where you had ranked titles. For example these could make someone easily achieve slayer(1) which would be like 5k kills, but the max tier (lets say tier 10) would still require 1.000.000 kills. Everyone is happy that way imo

Did anyone even play games before achievements? Seriously.

Sorry, didn’t mean it that way :P
I personally don’t care much about titles/achievements but I meant that in a context of titles. Sort of, if the number was low enough to get a title within a few months, after that you won’t have any other titles to earn, but ofc. one could still keep playing other aspects of the game.

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

(edited by Father Busho.2796)

in WvW

Posted by: kazi.6438

kazi.6438

You know what would be fantastic? A kill count title. My opponents would target me and go “oh- they’ve got 1000+ kills, maybe I’ll leave them alone.”

It works both ways: you intimidate people with your kill count and they feel super pro if they manage to kill you. Everyone wins!

Right now the closest thing are the GW1 heritage titles or the “Been there. Done that.” title. Meh.

Inir [CAT]